#1818 - Friday, June 4, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2004

      #1818 - Friday, June 4, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Desire and aversion are of the mind.
      The mind is never yours.
      You are free of its turmoil.

      You are awareness itself,
      Never changing.

      Wherever you go,
      Be happy.

      -Ashtavakra Gita 15:5

      From "The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita," by Thomas Byrom

      We should always live in the dark empty sky. The sky is
      always the sky. Even though clouds and lightning come, the
      sky is not disturbed. Even if the flashing of enlightenment
      comes, our practice forgets all about it. Then it is ready for
      another enlightenment.

      -Shunryu Suzuki, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind"

      From "365 Buddha: Daily Meditations," edited by Jeff Schmidt.

      For All

      Ah to be alive
             on a mid-September morn
             fording a stream
             barefoot, pants rolled up,
             holding boots, pack on,
             sunshine, ice in the shallows,
             northern rockies.

      Rustle and shimmer of icy creek waters
      stones turn underfoot, small and hard as toes
             cold nose dripping
             singing inside
             creek music, heart music,
             smell of sun on gravel.

             I pledge allegiance

      I pledge allegiance to the soil
             of Turtle Island,
      and to the beings who thereon dwell
             one ecosystem
             in diversity
             under the sun
      With joyful interpenetration for all.

      Gary Snyder, from The Gary Snyder Reader

      Song of the Open Road

      AFOOT and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
      Healthy, free, the world before me,
      The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

      Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
      Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
      Strong and content, I travel the open road.

      The earth—that is sufficient;
      I do not want the constellations any nearer;
      I know they are very well where they are;
      I know they suffice for those who belong to them.
      5
      From this hour, freedom!
      From this hour I ordain myself loos’d of limits and imaginary lines,
      Going where I list, my own master, total and absolute,
      Listening to others, and considering well what they say,
      Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating,
      Gently, but with undeniable will, divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

      I inhale great draughts of space;
      The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine.

      I am larger, better than I thought;
      I did not know I held so much goodness.

      All seems beautiful to me;
      I can repeat over to men and women,
      You have done such good to me, I would do the same to you.

      9
      Allons! whoever you are, come travel with me!
      Traveling with me, you find what never tires.

      The earth never tires;
      The earth is rude, silent, incomprehensible at first—Nature is rude and incomprehensible at first;
      Be not discouraged—keep on—there are divine things, well envelop’d;
      I swear to you there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell.

      Allons! we must not stop here!
      However sweet these laid-up stores—however convenient this dwelling, we cannot remain here;
      However shelter’d this port, and however calm these waters, we must not anchor here;
      However welcome the hospitality that surrounds us, we are permitted to receive it but a little while.

      11
      Listen! I will be honest with you;
      I do not offer the old smooth prizes, but offer rough new prizes;
      These are the days that must happen to you:

      You shall not heap up what is call’d riches,
      You shall scatter with lavish hand all that you earn or achieve,
      You but arrive at the city to which you were destin’d—you hardly settle yourself to satisfaction, before you are call’d by an irresistible call to depart,
      17
      Allons! the road is before us!
      It is safe—I have tried it—my own feet have tried it well.

      Allons! be not detain’d!
      Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the shelf unopen’d!
      Let the tools remain in the workshop! let the money remain unearn’d!
      Let the school stand! mind not the cry of the teacher!
      Let the preacher preach in his pulpit! let the lawyer plead in the court, and the judge expound the law.

      Mon enfant! I give you my hand!
      I give you my love, more precious than money,
      I give you myself, before preaching or law;
      Will you give me yourself? will you come travel with me?
      Shall we stick by each other as long as we live?

      Walt Whitman (1819–1892).  Leaves of Grass.  1900.

      Rising water, falling leaves --
      such signs of leaving are beautiful;
      as welcome as becoming.

      Rising and falling,
      calling,
      for us to leave.

      Love is: walking out a door
      into the unknown.

      *

      I never remember Reality.
      It rises within me
      -- like flowers unfolding in a moment;
      ages condensed into a day --
      potential springing into being.

       by Shawn Nevins

      The June issue of the TAT Forum is now on-line at

      This month's contents include:
      Peace of Mind Despite Success (part 7) by Richard Rose | Poems by Shawn Nevins | Scale by Shawn Nevins | Preface to Experience & Philosophy by Franklin Merrell-Wolff | Spiritual Ecology by Bob Fergeson | Trace Your Roots by Bob Cergol | An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce | Humor | Reader Commentary

      Gill Eardley - Allspirit Inspiration

      From ' Coming Home - An Invitation to Rediscover
      your True Nature'  by Dr. Jan Kersschot
      http://users.skynet.be/inspiration/cominghome.htm

      No Quest

      Some teachers - especially those of the Advaita tradition -
      say that true Freedom or complete Liberation is only possible
      when the concept of a personality is not there. If that is true,
      what can we do to 'get' it? Where can we go? Our personality
      always wants to have a goal. Our mind always wants to focus on
      what moves, on something new. Or on something personal. But
      how can the personality do something when it supposed to melt
      away in 'what is'? When it is expected not to be there as a
      limited entity? How can the personal mind discover the Impersonal?
      Isn't the mind checkmated now? Instead of associating with what
      comes and goes, with thoughts and concepts, it is sometimes
      suggested that we (who?) can also stay with Awareness itself.
      And the joke is that we do not have to do anything for it. What
      could we do in order to be what we already are, anyway?

      The same teachers also say that although we 'are already It,' we
      just have to recognise It. So, there is a difference. We have to
      realise It, we have to realise what we already are, our True
      Nature. And they say that our true nature is the clear sky and
      not the clouds. Our true nature is to be recognised in the silence
      and not in the noise of our thoughts and feelings. They even
      suggest that we have the choice to put our attention on the
      Silence or to put our attention on the noise. They say that it is
      just a matter of letting our attention being filled with the blue
      sky in stead of the clouds. In this metaphor, the clouds stand
      for our personal thoughts, ambitions, hopes and fears. The sky
      stands for the quiet and clear background which is witnessing
      all these images. And they ask us if we can see whether we can
      focus on the clouds or on the empty sky.

      Our mind always has the habit to look for new sensations, indeed.
      The clouds seem to be more attractive to the mind than the empty
      sky. That is part of its design. Ideas come and go, sensations in
      the body come and go, emotions come and go, just like in a movie.
      What about the background in which they appear ? What if we
      would no longer choose to feed the mind with new thoughts and
      concepts? Concepts and sensations come and go, but where is
      That which never comes and goes? What if - as some teachers
      ask us - we would focus our attention on That? Can we focus on
      that Vastness? Or is that idea like a cloud dreaming about becoming
      the sky?

      Warwick Wakefield

      And here is the quote about various paths to truth.
      It is from a conversation with Francis Lucille at a retreat in Canada in 2003

      Love
      Warwick

      Question: Can you talk about the way that beauty can lead one to truth?

      Francis: That's like asking me how humour can make us laugh-I don't know.

      Beauty goes to the absolute through the senses. Intelligence goes to the
      absolute through thought and love goes through feeling.

      I cannot explain beauty. Even if we were able to describe beauty, even if we
      were able to reduce it to its components, that would not enable us to
      manufacture it. We might be able to make something that looked fairly good but
      something would be missing and it wouldn't really be beauty. Beauty is always a
      gift of grace.

      If, however, we are interested in truth, and we discover that beauty is a path
      to truth, we might want to be alert to this connection. When we read poetry,
      when we listen to music, when we go to museums and galleries, we will
      discriminate between that which is purely decorative and that which is profound.

      The best definition of art that I have encountered is that given by André
      Malroux. He said that a work of art is something created by man which points
      towards presence.

      Questioner: I am more interested in the natural world. When I look at a tree,
      what is it that moves me to think, "What a beautiful tree this is!"

      Francis: It is an object which has a vanishing quality. It vanishes in such a
      way that it leaves you with presence, without any residues. The perfect
      vanishing of a thought is in understanding; when the thought has been understood
      it is gone forever. If you entertain a thought without understanding it, it
      will keep coming back. The natural ending of a thought is the experience of our
      true nature, consciousness, which is the understanding of the thought.

      The word "understanding" is very significant. It signifies that the ending of a
      thought is the realization of that which "stands under" the thought. In a
      similar fashion, the ending of a sense perception, or a set a sense perceptions,
      such as the experience of a tree or a work of art, is in its dissolution. So an
      art-object is an object which readily dissolves in this manner.

      A thought about the truth has the same vanishing quality because it can easily
      vanish into truth, whereas the opposite kind of thought, a thought which is
      based on the illusion of a separate entity, has no vanishing quality at all.

      There are art-objects and spectacles in nature which speak to us very deeply.
      We cannot say why and how it is but they remind us of consciousness. This
      happens when we experience such things as the symphony of nature or the
      emptiness of a desert; they remind us of consciousness, our true nature.

      Yarden - MillionPaths

      Q: You are giving a certain date to your realization. It means somthing did happen to you at that date. What happened?

      M: The mind ceased producing events.The ancient and ceaseless search stopped-I wanted nothing,expected nothing-accepted nothing as my own.There was no 'me' left to strive for.Even the bare 'I am' faded away.The other thing that I noticed was that I lost all my habitual certainties.Earlier I was sure of so many things, now I am sure of nothing.But I feel that I have lost nothing by not knowing,because all my knowledge was false.My not knowing was in itself knowledge of the fact that all knowledge is ignorance,that 'I do not know' is the only true statement the mind can make.Take the idea 'I was born'.You may take it to be true.It is not.You were never born,nor will you ever die.It is the idea that was born and shall die,not you.By identifying yourself with it you became mortal.Just like in a cinema all is light,so does consciousness become the vast world.Look closely, and you will see that all names and forms are but transitory waves on the ocean of consciusness,that only consciousness can be said to be,not its transformations. In the immensity of consciousness a light appears,a tiny point that moves rapidly and traces shapes,thoughts and feelings, concepts and ideas,like the pen writing on paper. And the ink that leaves a trace is memory. You are that tiny point and by your movement the world is ever re-created. Stop moving, and there will be no world. Look within and you will find that the point of light is the reflection of the immensity of light in the body,as the sense'I am'. There is only light,all else appears.

      from I AM THAT, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. p.392