#1807 - Monday, May 24, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2004
      #1807 - Monday, May 24, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.
      Dear List Members:

      Thank you for your letters. We appreciate each one. Write us anytime.

      The Editors

      Gill Eardley
      Allspirit Inspiration

      http://www.ordinarymind.com/dharma_talks_frameset.html

      Real practice means being willing to stay in this
      moment of life as it is, without falling into hope
      or expectation on the one hand or despair on the
      other. And that inevitably means being able to
      tolerate enormous uncertainly about where our
      lives are headed, simply responding as unselfishly
      as we know how to the requirements of this moment.

      gill
      Allspirit Website:
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      Inner Bliss

      Eleven Verses on Self-Inquiry (Atma Vichara Patikam)

      4
      In dreamless sleep, this thought 'I am so-and-so' does not at all
      exist. In the true state of Self-knowledge also, this thought 'I am
      so-and-so' does not at all exist. But in the states of waking and
      dream, which rise in between the darkness of sleep and the pure light
      of Self-knowledge, the thought 'I am this body' seems to appear and
      dissapear. Therefore this limited 'I' is not real; this 'I' is only a
      thought.

      The Other Syntax

      If your mind is fixed on a certain spot,
      it will be seized by that spot and no activities
      can be performed efficiently.
      Not to fix your mind anywhere is essential.
      Not fixed anywhere, the mind is everywhere....

      The Original Mind is like water which flows freely,
      whereas the deluded mind is like ice...
      There is a passage in the Diamond Sutra that says:
      "The mind should operate without abiding anywhere."

      - Takuan (1573-1645)

      NDS

      To divide and particularise is in the mind's very nature. There is no
      harm in dividing. But separation goes against fact. Things and people
      are different, but they are not separate. Nature is one, reality is
      one. There are opposites, but no opposition.

      --Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Awakened Awareness

      Stuart Holroyd, Krishnamurti: The Man, Mystery and the Message
      Part Two: The Message

      Chapter 9

      On Mind, Consciousness and the Self

      (excerpt)

      True intelligence then, consists in looking, listening, inquiring and
      being choicelessly aware. It is a function of the mind that is simple, in
      the sense that it is uncluttered with convictions, opinions, habits of
      thinking in terms of measurement or comparison. It is not personal, and it
      is quite different from thought.

      'You may be very clever, very good at arguing, very learned. You may have
      experienced, lived a tremendous life, been all over the world,
      investigating, searching, looking, accumulating a great deal of knowledge,
      practiced Zen or Hindu meditation. But all that has nothing to do with
      intelligence. Intelligence comes into being when the mind, the heart and
      the body are really harmonious.'

      As intelligence comes of harmony, actions governed by it bring harmony
      into the world. Morality and virtue then, are not the observance of
      prescriptions of principles, but consist in the spontaneous functioning of
      intelligence in the world, which 'naturally brings about order and the
      beauty of order'. This, Krishnamurti maintained, 'is a religious life'

      Anims of Pema Choling Shaydra at work in the fields

      The 90 anims (nuns) of Pema Choling Anim Shaydra,
      their ages ranging from 11 to 66 years, are
      ensuring their food for the year, planting
      potatoes, barley, and other hardy crops that
      survive in Bumthang’s harsh climate. In this
      deeply spiritual valley of central Bhutan, food
      is grown in traditional style, the hard way. The
      Shaydra, established in 2001, is the highest
      centre of learning for nuns in Bhutan. The
      students follow a Buddhist curriculum that will
      enable them to graduate with a masters degree in
      Buddhist Philosophy after nine years.
      “During the Buddha’s time women had the
      opportunity to study the dharma but the number of
      nunneries had reduced over the years,” said
      Gangtoe Trulku. “We hope to give women an equal
      opportunity to pursue higher studies in dharma.”

      There are about 500 nuns in less than a dozen
      nunneries all over Bhutan. The dratshang
      lhentshog (central monastic body) sees Buddhist
      Shaydras as an option after mainstream education,
      especially for the many teenage girls who have
      dropped out of regular schools.
      There is a shortage of women teachers well versed
      in dharma studies with the experience to manage
      schools. Pema Choling will prepare the nuns to
      become khenpos (the learned ones) and teachers
      within their own communities. A long-term goal
      for them is to start schools, train other women,
      and provide education opportunities for the next
      generation of girls in Bhutan, according to
      Gangtoe Trulku who started the Shaydra after
      numerous requests made by women around the
      country.