#1805 - Saturday, May 22, 2004

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2004

      Nondual Highlights Issue #1805 Saturday, May 22, 2004 Editor: Mark

      Editor's note: I know this HL may not work for everyone, but it seems to me that folks are called to seek the Self in a variety of ways, and popular music, particularly the lyrics of certain songs were a very early call here to deeper inquiry. To honor that, I present some of my favorite song lyrics. Enjoy!

      By This River
      Brian Eno

      Here we are
      Stuck by this river,
      You and I
      Underneath a sky that's ever falling down, down, down
      Ever falling down.

      Through the day
      As if on an ocean
      Waiting here,
      Always failing to remember why we came, came, came:
      I wonder why we came.

      You talk to me
      as if from a distance
      And I reply
      With impressions chosen from another time, time, time,
      From another time.

      Tomorrow Never Knows
      John Lennon and Paul McCartney

      Turn off your mind relax and float down-stream,
      It is not dying, it is not dying,
      Lay down all thought surrender to the void,
      It is shining, it is shining.
      That you may see the meaning of within,
      It is speaking, it is speaking,
      That love is all and love is ev’ryone,
      It is knowing, it is knowing.
      When ignorance and haste may mourn the dead,
      It is believing, it is believing,
      But listen to the color of your dreams,
      It is not living, it is not living.
      Or play the existence to the end.
      Of the beginning, of the beginning.
      Of the beginning. Of the beginning.

      Within You Without You
      George Harrison

      We were talking - about the space between us all
      And the people - who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
      Never glimpse the truth - then it’s far too late - when they pass away.
      We were talking - about the love we could all share - when we find it
      To try our best to hold it there - with our love
      With our love - we could save the world - if they only knew.
      Try to realize it’s all within yourself
      No-one else can make you change
      And to see you’re really only very small,
      And life flows on within you and without you.
      We were talking - about the love that’s gone so cold and the people,
      Who gain the world and lose their soul -
      They don’t know - they can’t see - are you one of them?
      When you’ve seen beyond yourself -
      Then you may find peace of mind, is waiting there -
      And the time will come when you see we’re all one,
      And life flows on within you and without you.

      We Are One
      Ziggy Marley

      There is a knowledge we all know
      Yet we don't know, yet we don't know
      There is a knowledge we all know
      Yet we don't know, yet we don't know

      We are one

      There is a spirit we all know
      Yet we don't know, yet we don't know
      There is a spirit we all know
      Yet we don't know, yet we don't know

      We are one

      Is it so hard to love one another
      My brother
      To see each other as we are
      My sister
      The earthy family
      Forever

      Wake up
      Wake up now
      Wake up
      Wake up now
      Wake up to the realization
      That we are all of one nation
      Everyone let's have some fun
      Under the moon, the stars, the sun

      Cause We are one
      We are one

      There is a knowledge
      We are one
      There is a spirit
      We are one

      In The Garden
      Van Morrison

      The streets are always wet with rain
      After a summer shower when I saw you standin'
      In the garden in the garden wet with rain

      You wiped the teardrops from your eye in sorrow
      As we watched the petals fall down to the ground
      And as I sat beside you I felt the
      Great sadness that day in the garden

      And then one day you came back home
      You were a creature all in rapture
      You had the key to your soul
      And you did open that day you came back to the garden

      The olden summer breeze was blowin' on your face
      The light of God was shinin' on your countenance divine
      And you were a violet colour as you
      Sat beside your father and your mother in the garden

      The summer breeze was blowin' on your face
      Within your violet you treasure your summery words
      And as the shiver from my neck down to my spine
      Ignited me in daylight and nature in the garden

      And you went into a trance
      Your childlike vision became so fine
      And we heard the bells inside the church
      We loved so much
      And felt the presence of the youth of
      Eternal summers in the garden

      And as it touched your cheeks so lightly
      Born again you were and blushed and we touched each other lightly
      And we felt the presence of the Christ

      And I turned to you and I said
      No Guru, no method, no teacher
      Just you and I and nature
      And the father in the garden

      No Guru, no method, no teacher
      Just you and I and nature
      And the Father and the
      Son and the Holy Ghost
      In the garden wet with rain
      No Guru, no method, no teacher
      Just you and I and nature and the holy ghost
      In the garden, in the garden, wet with rain
      No Guru, no method, no teacher
      Just you and I and nature
      And the Father in the garden

      Ripple
      Robert Hunter

      If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
      And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
      Would you hear my voice come thru the music,
      Would you hold it near as it were your own?

      It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken,
      Perhaps they're better left unsung.
      I don't know, don't really care
      Let there be songs to fill the air.

      Ripple in still water,
      When there is no pebble tossed,
      Nor wind to blow.

      Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
      If your cup is full may it be again,
      Let it be known there is a fountain,
      That was not made by the hands of men.

      There is a road, no simple highway,
      Between the dawn and the dark of night,
      And if you go no one may follow,
      That path is for your steps alone.

      Ripple in still water,
      When there is no pebble tossed,
      Nor wind to blow.

      If you choose to lead, must follow
      But if you fall you fall alone,
      If you should stand then who's to guide you?
      If I knew the way I would take you home.

      La dee da da da, La da da da da, Da da da, Da da, Da da da da da
      La da da da, La da da, Da da, La da da da, La da, Da da.

      Redemption Song
      Bob Marley

      Old pirates, yes, they rob i;
      Sold i to the merchant ships,
      Minutes after they took i
      From the bottomless pit.
      But my hand was made strong
      By the ’and of the almighty.
      We forward in this generation
      Triumphantly.
      Won’t you help to sing
      These songs of freedom? -
      ’cause all I ever have:
      Redemption songs;
      Redemption songs.

      Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
      None but ourselves can free our minds.
      Have no fear for atomic energy,
      ’cause none of them can stop the time.
      How long shall they kill our prophets,
      While we stand aside and look? ooh!
      Some say it’s just a part of it:
      We’ve got to fulfil de book.

      Won’t you help to sing
      These songs of freedom? -
      ’cause all I ever have:
      Redemption songs;
      Redemption songs;
      Redemption songs.

      Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
      None but ourselves can free our mind.
      Wo! have no fear for atomic energy,
      ’cause none of them-a can-a stop-a the time.
      How long shall they kill our prophets,
      While we stand aside and look?
      Yes, some say it’s just a part of it:
      We’ve got to fulfil de book.
      Won’t you help to sing
      Dese songs of freedom? -
      ’cause all I ever had:
      Redemption songs -
      All I ever had:
      Redemption songs:
      These songs of freedom,
      Songs of freedom.

      Amazing Grace
      John Newton

      Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
      That saved a wretch like me.
      I once was lost, but now am found,
      Was blind, but now I see.

      'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
      And grace my fears relieved.
      How precious did that grace appear
      The hour I first believed.

      Through many dangers, toils and snares
      I have already come;
      'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far
      And grace will lead me home.

      The Lord has promised good to me
      His word my hope secures;
      He will my shield and portion be,
      As long as life endures.

      Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
      and mortal life shall cease,
      I shall possess within the veil,
      A life of joy and peace.

      When we've been there ten thousand years
      Bright shining as the sun,
      We've no less days to sing God's praise
      Than when we've first begun.

      WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD
      (George Weiss / Bob Thiele)

      I see trees of green, red roses too
      I see them bloom for me and you
      And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

      I see skies of blue and clouds of white
      The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
      And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

      The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
      Are also on the faces of people going by
      I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
      They're really saying "I love you"

      I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
      They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
      And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
      Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world

      Oh yeah