#1802 - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2004
      #1802 - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      This issue revolves around the number 30.

      Photo and text contribution to NDS by Al Larus

      Thirty Pieces of Advice From the Heart

      By Gyalwa Longchenpa

      First Advice

      Alas! Having, through all kinds of skilful means, gathered round oneself a large circle of people, one may hold a flourishing monastic estate. But this is the source of quarrels and causes great attachments for oneself. To remain alone is my advice from the heart.

      Second Advice

      At the occasion of village ceremonies intended to discard obstacles and subdue evil spirits, one may display one's qualities in the crowd. But through covetousness for food and riches, it is one's own mind that will be carried away by the demon. To subdue one's own mind is my advice from my heart.

      Third Advice

      Having collected great contributions from poor people, one may thus erect statues and monuments, distribute plenty of alms and so on. But this is to cause others to accumulate sins on virtuous grounds1. To make one's own mind virtuous is my advice from the heart.

      Fourth Advice

      Desiring one's own greatness, one will expound Dharma to others and through numerous deceitful tricks, one will retain a cycle of important and humble people. But such a mind clinging to gross realities is the cause of pride. To have only short-term plans is my advice from the heart.

      Fifth Advice

      Selling, loaning with interest, and all these kinds of deceits; with the wealth amassed in the wrong way one may very well make large offerings, but merits resting upon greed are the source of the eight worldly dharmas. To meditate upon the rejection of covetousness is my advice from the heart.

      Sixth Advice

      Acting as witness, guarantor, and getting involved in law disputes, one may thus settle others' quarrels, thinking this is for the good of all. But to indulge in this will bring up interested aims. To remain without either expectations or apprehensions is my advice from the heart.

      Seventh Advice

      Administering provinces, having attendants and material wealth, one's renown may thus spread all over the world. But at the time of death, these things do not have the slightest use. To endeavour in one's practice is my advice from the heart.

      Eighth Advice

      Bursars, attendants, those in responsible positions and cooks are the pillars of the monastic community. But a mind interested in these is the cause of worry. To minimize this confusing bustle is my advice from the heart.

      Ninth Advice

      Carrying religious objects, offerings, books and cooking paraphernalia, one may go to the mountain's solitude with all necessary. But to be well-equipped now is the source of difficulties and quarrels. To have no needs is my advice from the heart.

      Tenth Advice

      In these decadent times one may reproach the crude people around one. Although one thinks it will be useful to them, it is just the source of poisonous thoughts. To utter peaceful words is my advice from the heart.

      Eleventh Advice

      Without any selfish consideration, one may, with affection, tell people their defects, only thinking of their own good. But although what one says is true this will ulcerate their hearts. To say gentle words is my advice from the heart.

      Twelfth Advice

      One engages in controversies, defending one's point of view and contradicting the other's thinking thus to preserve the purity of the Teachings. But in such a way one induces impure thoughts. To remain silent is my advice from the heart.

      Thirteenth Advice

      Thinking one is rendering service, one supports in a partisan way one's Guru's lineage and philosophical views. But to praise oneself and belittle others ripens one's attachments and hatred. To leave these things is my advice from the heart.

      Fourteenth Advice

      Having examined thoroughly the Dharma one has heard, one may think that understanding other's errors is proof of having discriminative wisdom. But to think in this way is to cause the accumulation of one's own sins. To view everything as pure is my advice from the heart.

      Fifteenth Advice

      Speaking only the language of blank emptiness and disdaining cause and effect, one may think that non-action is the ultimate point of Dharma. But to forsake the two accumulations will wither the prosperity of one's practice. To unite these two is my advice from the heart.

      Sixteenth Advice

      Concerning the third initiation, there is the descending of the essence and so on. One may think that the way of the other's body will lead to outstanding progress. But on this path of the impure many great meditators have been ensnared. To rely upon the path of liberation is my advice from the heart.

      Seventeenth Advice

      To bestow empowerments upon unqualified people and distribute to crowd sacramental substances is the source of abuse and of spoiling the samaya. To prefer upright behaviour is my advice from the heart.

      Eighteenth Advice

      To go naked in public and other eccentricities, one may think is to act as a yogi. But this is how one causes worldly people to lose faith. To be thoughtful in all things is my advice from the heart.

      Nineteenth Advice

      Wherever one stays, with the desire to be the greatest one will act in a traditional and clever fashion. But this is the cause of falling from the highest to the lowest. To be neither tense nor relaxed is my advice from the heart.

      Twentieth Advice

      Whether one dwells in villages, monasteries, or mountains retreats, without searching for intimates one should be friends with all, but with neither intimacy nor animosity. To keep one's independence is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-first Advice

      Assuming an artificial countenance one may pay homage in a fine way to the patrons who take care of one's subsistence. But feigning on account of others causes one to entangle oneself. To act with uniform taste is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-second Advice

      There are innumerable writings upon divination, astrology, medicine and so on. Although they all deal with the methods based upon the interdependent links, leading to omniscience. To become very fond of these various things will scatter one's contemplation. To minimize the study of these sciences is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-third Advice

      At the time one stays inside arranging the interior, one may thus have all comforts in the midst of solitude. But this is how to fritter way one's whole life on trivial details. To put off all these activities is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-fourth Advice

      Learned, virtuous and so on, also having some diligence towards accomplishment, thus one's personal qualities may reach their peak. But the clinging associated with this will just entangle oneself. To know how to be free, without egocentricity is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-fifth Advice

      To make hail and thunder fall, cast magic spells, while protecting oneself from all these, one may think to subdue what has to be subdued. But by burning another's being one will end up in the lower realms. To remain humble is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-sixth Advice

      One might have an abundance of desirable texts, spoken advice, notes and so on. But if one does not put them into practice, at the time of death they will be of no use. To study one's mind is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-seventh Advice

      At the time one practices one-pointedly, one may have experiences, discuss them with others, write spiritual verses and sing songs of realization. Although such things are natural manifestations of the practice, they will increase wandering thoughts. To keep away from intellectualization is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-eighth Advice

      Whatever thoughts arise it is important to stare at them. Thus when one has a clear understanding of the mind it is important to remain with it. Although there is nothing to meditate upon, it is important to remain in such meditation. To be always attentive is my advice from the heart.

      Twenty-ninth Advice

      In the midst of emptiness, acting according to the Law of cause and effect, having understood non-action, keeping the three vows, with absolute compassion, may we strive for the benefit of all beings. To unite the two accumulations is my advice from the heart.

      Thirtieth Advice

      One has followed many wise and accomplished Gurus, received many profound instructions, and looked through a few sutras and tantras, still one does not apply them. Alas! One is just deceiving oneself.

      If you speak, thirty blows
      If you don't speak, thirty blows!

      --Chinese Zen Master Tokusan

      My sunshine is the beach.
      Sitting on lifeguard station number 27
      and counting
      the grains of sand
      on a fingertip
      30
      exactly

      from a poem

      For thirty years I have been in search of the swordsman;
      Many a time have I watched the leaves decay
      and the branches shoot!
      Ever since I saw for once the peaches in bloom,
      Not a shadow of doubt do I cherish.

      - Ling-Yün and the Peach Blossoms
      D.T. Suzuki, Essays in Zen Buddhism, 1953, 2nd Series, p. 145,

      Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub;
      It is the center hole that makes it useful.
      Shape clay into a vessel;
      It is the space within that makes it useful.
      Cut doors and windows for a room;
      It is the holes which make it useful.
      Therefore profit comes from what is there;
      Usefulness from what is not there.

      Tao Te Ching, Verse 11

      Melody
      from Highlights #1014

      It is the Last Supper. Everyone has finished their dinner,
      and the waiter brings Jesus the bill. "Heavens above," says
      Jesus. "I can't afford this!" And he passes the bill to
      Peter. "Holy Mackerel!" says Peter, passing the bill to Mark.
      "Lord save us!" says Mark, and he passes the bill to James.
      This continues all down the table until at the very far end
      the bill is passed to Judas. "Holy Moses!" cries Judas. "And
      where the hell am I going to get thirty pieces of silver?"