#1779 - Monday, April 26, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2004
      #1779 - Monday, April 26, 2004 - Editor: Jerry
      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      Daily Dharma
      "Now at that time a certain monk was sick with
      dysentery. He lay fouled in his own urine & excrement.
      Then the Blessed One, on an inspection tour of the
      lodgings with Ven. Ananda as his attendant, went to
      that monk's dwelling and, on arrival, saw the monk
      lying fouled in his own urine & excrement. On seeing
      him, he went to the monk and said, 'What is your
      sickness, monk?'

      'I have dysentery, O Blessed One.'

      'But do you have an attendant?'

      'No, O Blessed One.'

      'Then why don't the monks attend to you?'

      'I don't do anything for the monks, lord, which is why
      they don't attend to me.'

      Then the Blessed One addressed Ven. Ananda: 'Go fetch
      some water, Ananda. We will wash this monk.'

      'As you say, lord,' Ven. Ananda replied, and he
      fetched some water. The Blessed One sprinkled water on
      the monk, and Ven. Ananda washed him off. Then -- with
      the Blessed One taking the monk by the head, and Ven.
      Ananda taking him by the feet -- they lifted him up
      and placed him on a bed.

      Then the Blessed One, from the cause of this event,
      had the monks assembled and asked them: 'Is there a
      sick monk in that dwelling over there?'

      'Yes, O Blessed One, there is.'

      'And what is his sickness?'

      'He has dysentery, O Blessed One.'

      'But does he have an attendant?'

      'No, O Blessed One.'

      'Then why don't the monks attend to him?'

      'He doesn't do anything for the monks, lord, which is
      why they don't attend to him.'

      'Monks, you have no mother, you have no father, who
      might tend to you. If you don't tend to one another,
      who then will tend to you? Whoever would tend to me,
      should tend to the sick. '"

      ~This morning, old woman asks herself, who needs
      attending that i have been neglecting? As Bodhisattvas
      in training, this might be a call for every morning of
      our lives. ~dg

      ~Story is from the Vinaya, The Moral Code of Monks of
      The Buddha's Sangha, from the Buddha's time, over 2500
      years ago. This translation from the original Pali
      from "Access To Insight,"

      Dennis Waite
      A provisional second edition of 'Notes on
      Spiritual Discourses of Shri Atmananda'
      , taken by
      Nitya Tripta is now available for download from
      my website. ... . The PDF file has been zipped
      for minimum size but is still quite large
      (1.7Mb). It consists of 509 pages including a
      comprehensive index with hyperlinked page
      numbers. This is a marvellous document, bearing
      comparison with the dialogues of Nisargadatta
      Maharaj or Ramana Maharshi. The address is

      Rajiv Malhotra
      Please read my new 4-page crisp list of ten challenges to Washington Post:
      Rajiv Malhotra

      Vicki Woodyard
      The truth is funnier than fiction

      Sometimes the truth is funnier than fiction. Like when we think that great masters know more than the I am that we are.  Whose idea is that, anyway?  Sometimes I get scared of knowing too much and I have to hide it from myself.  I act dumb so one half won't be intellectually superior to the other.  Of course, the other never gets the joke because it is the dumb half.  And so it goes.

      One half of me is yin and the other is yang.  It doesn't matter except when they want to wear different colors of socks.  I say to heck with both of me.  That's when I wear my hair both up and down, just to make both of me happy.

      Last night I was having half of a Hershey bar and I honestly tried to leave the other half for later.  Both parts of me claimed it was theirs.  What could I do but cave in and eat it right then and there?  You understand, don't you?  I am not schizophrenic, just bifocal.  Both of me are fighting for space in my head and believe it or not, there's more than I know what to do with.  I have abandoned thought in favor of a good nondual emptiness.

      What lies between my ears now is anybody's guess.  Since I am not the body, it is stranger than fiction.  No wonder I laugh when I pass a mirror.  Did I tell you that my double chin no longer bothers me.  That is because I am more concerned with my evil twin, sometimes called Emptiness.  It refuses to divulge my social security number to me when I need it the most.  It stands firm in emptiness and rings the dharma bell of nobody home.  Sad but true.

      The truth is also funnier than fiction when we try to avoid doing the evil that we want to do and try to do good when we don't want to do that, either.  Just what in the heck is going on in the dualistic dungeon called the mind?  Tell me both of your opinions on this and I will get both of you in trouble.  I am good at that.

      Vicki Woodyard

      At 70, he's still zoology's king of beasts:
      George Schaller studies habitats with humanity
      Natural history filmmaker Cynthia Moses says that he "is one of my heroes because he not only is one of the greatest scientists of our generation but he also understands the poetry and spirituality found in nature."
      He worries that the public isn't paying attention, isn't demanding any accountability, and to a certain extent, he points the finger of blame at his own brethren. Beginning 10 or 15 years ago, Schaller says, the conservation community began to frame the justification for conservation and saving species in monetary terms -- that nature had to pay its way. The argument was that healthy wild places made economic sense, a notion he rejects.

      "Placing a dollar value on everything is a drastic change which I hold against big conservation organizations," he said. "Before, conservation was a moral issue, but words like `spiritual' or `moral' or `ethical' are gone from the vocabulary now."

      They are not missing from Schaller's. Two years ago it was tracking the world's last Asiatic cheetahs in Iran, where there may be only 50 left in the wild. Last year, as he has on and off through many years, he hiked the pristine, if breathtakingly harsh and frigid Chang Tang plateau in Tibet, studying yak, antelope, and argali sheep. He has just returned from Bhutan. And this summer, he hopes to spend at least two months riding horseback through the most inaccessible reaches of Afghanistan, looking for Marco Polo sheep and snow leopards.

      Read the entire article here: http://tinyurl.com/385ps

      Hello, everyone,

      Last night during the television show, Survivor, the
      'competitors' were given an immunity challenge:

      Each competitor stood on a block large enough for both
      feet and then had their raised arm handcuffed to a chain
      connected to a half-barrel of water, which balanced
      over their head. If a competitor let his or her arm fall,
      even a little, the barrel would tip, the water would
      fall on them, and they would lose their chance at the
      night's 'immunity'.

      It was fascinating to observe the way each competitor's
      use of body and mind contributed to their personal
      outcome. There were those who seemed to 'hang' their
      arm up, right from the beginning, with their bodies
      trembling beneath the handcuff. There were those who
      took part in the jesting or jabs, or paid too much
      attention to these distractions, or the distraction of
      their pain or other physical sensations. It was so easy to pick
      the winner - the only one whose body remained energetically
      uplifted from the feet through her raised fist. In fact,
      one could almost tell who would win entirely on the
      disposition of the handcuffed limb. Those who let their
      fingers droop, or elbows bend, or shoulders shift off of
      their frame were done before they started. The winner
      stood firmly on both feet, weight in both legs, lower
      hand on hip, chest raised and underneath her shoulder,
      which was underneath her straight arm, which was underneath
      her energized fist. She didn't move in her body, and she
      was unflinching in her focus on steadiness.

      I thought to myself, despite the context of the television
      show, and anything else surrounding this 'set up', this
      woman's display of firmness of mind and body had a lesson
      in it... and I thought I'd share that with you... make of
      it what you will. :)

      "If you are interested in real spirituality, and not in a caricature, you
      must first dare to fully recognize the enormous life force that exists in a
      child, and realize that this life force is divided against itself in you. It
      is true that a child's effervescence decreases as he grows older. . . . But
      I am convinced that a large part of what is attributed to the natural aging
      process actually springs from the suffocation of our life force - first by
      teachers, then by life in general, and finally by ourselves. And I am
      convinced that no one can become a spiritual seeker or a yogi by suffocating
      his or her own life force."

      -- Arnaud Dejardins, from The Jump into Life