#1778 - Sunday, April 25, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2004
      #1778 - Sunday, April 25, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Highlights Home Page and Archive:
      http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      Where there is beauty, there is ugliness.
      When something is right, something else is wrong.
      Knowledge and ignorance depend on each other.
      It has been like this since the beginning.
      How could it be otherwise now?
      Wanting to toss out one and hold onto the other
      makes for a ridiculous comedy.
      You must still deal with everything ever-changing,
      even when you say it’s wonderful.

      - Ryokan (1758-1831)

      ~  ~  ~

      A monk asked, “All of the buddhas and all of the buddadharmas
      come forth from this sutra. What is this sutra?”

      Qinshan said, “Forever turning.”

      -"Zen’s Chinese Heritage"

      Viorica Weissman ~ MillionPaths

      Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

      Outwardly we live and have to live in the very midst of cruel struggle and grievous conflict, for we share the planet's karma; but inwardly we can live by striking contrast in an intense stillness, a consecrated peace, a sublime security. The central stillness is always there, whether we are absorbed in bustling activity or not. Hence a part of this training consists in becoming conscious of its presence. Indeed only by bringing the mystical realization into the active life of the wakeful world can it attain its own fullness. The peaceful state must not only be attained during meditation, but also sustained during action.

      Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton (1988)
      Volume 15: Advanced Contemplation / The Peace within You, Prefatory

      Middle Age

      The child you think you don't want
      is the one who will make you laugh.
      She will break your heart
      when she loses the sight in one eye
      and tells the doctor she wants to be
      an apple tree when she grows up.

      It will be this child who forgives you
      again and again
      for believing you don't want her to be born,
      for resisting the rising tide of your body,
      for wishing for the red flow of her dismissal.
      She will even forgive you for all the breakfasts
      you failed to make exceptional.

      Someday this child will sit beside you.
      When you are old and too tired of war
      to want to watch the evening news,
      she will tell you stories
      like the one about her teenaged brother,
      your son, and his friends
      taking her out in a canoe when she was
      five years old. How they left her alone
      on an island in the river
      while they jumped off the railroad bridge.

      -  Pat Schneider, from The Patience of Ordinary Things.

      Joe Riley ~ Panhala

      Above Everything

      I wished for death often
      but now that I am at its door
      I have changed my mind about the world.
      It should go on; it is beautiful,
      even as a dream, filled with water and seed,
      plants and animals, others like myself,
      ships and buildings and messages
      filling the air -- a beauty,
      if ever I have seen one.
      In the next world, should I remember
      this one, I will praise it
      above everything.

      ~David Ignatow~

      (Whisper to the Earth: New Poems;
      contributed by Zorika Petic)

      Slow Children at Play

      All the quick children have gone inside, called
      by their mothers to hurry-up-wash-your-hands
      honey-dinner's-getting-cold, just-wait-till-your-father-gets-home
      --
      and only the slow children out on the lawns, marking off
      paths between fireflies, making soft little sounds with their mouths, ohs

       - Cecilia Woloch from Late

      Amrita Nadi ~ Daily Dharma

      "A Prayer For The Children"

      We Pray for the Children who sneak popsicles before
      supper, who erase errors into holes in math workbooks,
      who can never find their shoes, who love their pets,
      who play video games unceasingly, who argue with their
      those who stare at photographers from behind barbed
      wire, who live alone on the streets, who can't bound
      down the street in a new pair of sneakers, who are
      born in places where we would not be caught dead, who
      live in an X-rated world.

      We Pray for the Children who bring us sticky kisses
      and fistfuls of dandelions, who hug us in a hurry and
      forget their lunch money, who watch television past
      bedtime, who forget to do their homework, who want the
      same story read over and over, who ride their bikes
      with ecstasy. And we pray for those who never get
      dessert, who have no safe blanket to drag behind them,
      who watch their parents watch them die, who can't find
      bread to steal, who only receive affection when made
      to do things that frighten them, who don't have rooms
      to clean up, whose pictures aren't on anybody's
      dresser, whose monsters are real.

      We Pray for the Children who spend their allowance
      before Tuesday, who throw tantrums in the grocery
      store and pick at their food, who like ghost stories,
      who shove dirty clothes under the bed, who never rinse
      out the tub, who get visits from the tooth fairy, who
      don't like to be kissed in front of their friends, who
      squirm during religious services and scream in the
      phone, whose tears we sometimes laugh at and whose
      smiles can make us cry. And we pray for those whose
      nightmares come in the daytime, who have never been
      kissed or nurtured, who have never seen a dentist, who
      watch their parents shoot up, who will eat anything,
      who only have been touched in ways that leave them
      ashamed, who aren't spoiled by anybody, who go to bed
      hungry and cry themselves to sleep, who live and move,
      but have no being.

      We Pray for the Children who want to be carried and
      for those who must, who we never give up on and for
      those who don't get a second chance. We pray for those
      we smother with attention and for those who will grab
      the hand of anybody kind enough to offer it. We vow to
      offer that hand in whatever way and whenever we can.

      May all children be free from suffering and at peace."

      ~From personal notes, author and source unknown.