#1777 - Saturday, April 24, 2004

  • Michael A. Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2004
             Not burdened with expectation,
             one engages the world in constant surprise.
             Not shackled to aversion,
             one discovers the balance of equanimity.
             Not given to attraction,
             one becomes an exuberant expression of joy.
             Not cursed with contention,
             one develops enduring patience.
             Bearing witness to the truth,
             one does not deliver compassion
             with a stick.

      Mace Mealer

      #1777 - Saturday, April 24, 2004 - Editor: michael
      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      Random Stuff
      google searches - safe search is off
      good - 189,000,000
      evil - 19,500,000
      the good outweighs the evil
      peace - 28,300,000
      war - 92,600,000
      but there is more war than peace
      god - 60,600,000
      devil - 10,400,000
      god is still the greatest
      love - 121,000,000
      hate - 13,400,000
      love is greater

      From:   "ericparoissien"
      Date:  Sat Apr 24, 2004  11:36 pm
      Subject:  Morality w/o God

      Morality Without God

      I've seen the lights from a thousand stars,

      and the flames of a thousand pairs of eyes

      and their glow is the same mercurial fire,

      intense as lasers or

      the gold in the eyes of a gorilla,

      the bright stare of an angry lion,

      the very center of a new flower

      that's alone in a field of dust,

      awaiting the center of another's,

      and I see into time's cauldron

      pieces of a truth, like moats in the sunlight,

      separate but whole, the management of life

      to which we assign our symbols and our sounds

      that bring us bread and sometimes love,

      sometimes sadness, sometimes bliss,

      and the lexicon fills up,

      overflowing with desire for sounds

      to make it all come out right

      and pleasant in our dreams.

      We stand on a cliff, wind in our faces,

      the dark sea below, rocks and raging seas awaiting,

      we offer up our words as if for shields

      against the truth of living,

      while coursing through our veins

      our history boils and tumbles

      leaving us sublimely alone,

      and yet arguing with false angles

      that we stand not beside some god

      who cares much less for the thistle

      than he does for a deadly human wound,

      and cares more for the blood of a saint

      than he does for sigh of a deranged child.

      Finally, as the sea roars and the winds

      tear us from one terrible moment to the next,

      we arrive at the corner of a dark street

      and meet ourselves coming toward us,

      head bent in the anguish of life,

      and there, in an explosion of untellable truth

      we see that gods vanish on the pavement

      like evaporating rain in the morning light,

      and our minds turn inward like a vast mirror,

      larger than the most imaginable universe.

      We the humans who have made the word,

      we the creatures who create the lust for knowing

      what lies behind the mind of knowing,

      we the animal flesh conspiring to be more

      than the passions of animals,

      have arrived at the Eden of moral certainty,

      and stand before it dumbfounded and blind.

      Far off, a billion, billion light years away,

      the sanctity of an illumination

      that makes us curl up in fetal sleep,

      closes a hand around our minds,

      and in the end

      we know what knowing really is.

      From:  Sheilah
      Date:  Sat Apr 24, 2004  6:38 am
      Subject:  From the summit of peace

      May calmness take you to the summit of peace, where
      you will be able to see everything with a infinite

      Dear Friends,
      Saturday was my 55th birthday. As you can see from this edition, I have become instantly senile.
      Somehow life seems simpler this way.
      The Earth is a magical garden once again and people look so beautiful.
      Every moment is an adventure and a surprise as I search for my car in the vastness of the Walmart parking lot....
      And whatever comes, goes.
      as ever - be well,