#1768 - Thursday, April 15, 2004

  • Know Mystery
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2004

      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:   http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Wave

      There is So Much Magnificence

      There is so much magnificence
      In the ocean
      Waves are coming in, waves are coming in

      Ha...lle..llu...yah
      Ha...lle..lu...yah

      Bhajan by Neelam

      http://www.neelam.org/Bhajans_2002.htm

      #1768 - Thursday, April 15, 2004 - Editor: joyce (know_mystery)

      When spring arrives, it is not only the cuckoos that start singing; other birds like crows and peacocks do too. Similarly, when love and devotion dawn in one�s heart, devotional songs may issue from the lips of one who has not studied even the preliminaries of music. Others, however, may not appreciate this self-absorbed singing; to them, it may sound laughable or even downright offensive. Just as a devotee shuns worldly talk, worldly people may shut their ears to the devotee�s "musical" expression of heartfelt emotions. A true devotee, of course, does not care. To attain devotional fervour, one should give up shyness, self-respect, shame and sorrow.

      ~  Br. Shivamrita Chaitanya  ~

      http://archives.amritapuri.org/matruvani/vol-02/dec02/02mv12song.htm

      Robert Gass & various artists

      "Chant: Spirit in Sound"

      "Om Namaha Shivaya," Hindu chant by Krishna Das

      Ko Bong's Try Mind
      Zen Master Seung Sahn

      YinYang

      Zen Master Ko Bong (1890-1962) was one of the greatest teachers of his time. He was renowned for refusing to teach monks, considering them too lazy and arrogant to be Zen students. He was also very

      well known for his unconventional behavior.

      Ko Bong Sunim didn't like chanting. He only did sitting meditation, no matter what. That was his practice. One time, as a young monk, he was staying in a small mountain temple. The abbot was away for a few days, so Ko Bong Sunim was the only one around. One morning an old woman climbed the steep road to the temple carrying fruit and a bag of rice on her back. When she reached the main Buddha Hall, she found Ko Bong Sunim seated alone in meditation.

      "Oh, Sunim, I am sorry to bother you," she said. "I have just climbed this mountain to offer these things to the Buddha. My family is having a lot of problems, and I want someone to chant to the Buddha for them. Can you please help me?"

      Ko Bong Sunim looked up. Her face was very sad and very sincere. "Of course," he said. "I'd be happy to chant for you. No problem." Then he took the bag of rice off her back and they went to the kitchen to prepare the food offering. As they started to wash the fruit he said to her, "I don't know how to cook rice. You cook the rice, and I'll go start chanting."

      "Yes, Sunim. Thank you very much."

      Ko Bong Sunim returned to his room to put on his formal robes. But, because he never chanted, he didn't know any Buddhist chants. So, he dug out an old Taoist sutra from among his things and brought it back to the Buddha Hall. Then he picked up the moktak and started hitting it while reading out of the Taoist book. Usually it's appropriate to do certain chants for different occasions, like the Thousand Eyes and Hands Sutra, but Ko Bong Sunim didn't know about this. He only banged the moktak and chanted the Taoist sutra out loud, right from the book. After an hour or so of this, he finished.

      The old woman was very, very happy. "Oh, thank you, Sunim. You are very kind. I feel much better now!" She left the temple. As she was walking down the mountain road, she passed the abbot, who was returning to the temple. "Hello, Mrs. Lee, are you coming from the temple?"

      "Yes," she said. "There are many problems in my family right now, so I went up to pray to the Buddha. Ko Bong Sunim helped me."

      "Oh, that's too bad," the abbot said.

      "Oh, why?"

      "Because Ko Bong Sunim doesn't know how to do any chanting. Maybe someone else could..."

      "No, no," she said. "He did very well. He helped me very much!"

      The abbot looked at her. "How do you know how well he did? These are very special chants! Ko Bong Sunim doesn't know how to do them -- he doesn't know chanting."

      "Yes, I understand." This woman used to be a nun, so she was quite familiar with all the various chants. She knew that Ko Bong Sunim was only chanting a Taoist sutra. "What is correct chanting? He did it very well. He only chanted one hundred percent. Words are not important. The only important thing is how you keep your mind. He had only try mind -- only do it."

      "Oh, yes, of course," the abbot said. "I suppose mind is very important." They said good-bye and went their separate ways. When the abbot reached the temple, he found Ko Bong Sunim, seated in meditation. "Did you just chant for Mrs. Lee?"

      "Yes."

      "But you don't know anything about chanting."

      "That's right," Ko Bong Sunim said. "I don't know anything about chanting. So I just chanted."

      "Then what kind of chants did you do?" the abbot asked.

      "I used an old Taoist book."

      The abbot walked away, scratching his head.

      This is a very interesting try-mind story. It means, from moment to moment only "do it." Only keep a try mind, only one mind: do it mind. When chanting, sitting or bowing, only do it. Practicing will not help if you are attached to your thinking, if your mind is moving. Taoist chanting, Confucian chanting, Christian chanting, Buddhist chanting: it doesn't matter. Even chanting, "Coca Cola, Coca Cola, Coca Cola. . . " can be just as good if you keep a clear mind. But, if you don't keep a clear mind, even Buddha cannot help you. The most important thing is, only do it. When you only do something one hundred percent, then there is no subject, no object. There's no inside or outside. Inside and outside are already one. That means you and the whole universe are one and never separate.

      The Bible says, "Be still, and know that I am God." When you are still, then you don't make anything, and you are always connected to God. Being still means keeping a still mind, even if your body is moving or you are doing some activity. Then there's no subject, no object, a mind of complete stillness. That's the Buddha's complete stillness mind. When sitting, be still. When chanting, be still. When bowing, eating, talking, walking, reading or driving, only be still. This is keeping a not moving mind, which is only do it mind. We call that try mind.

      ~  Zen Master Seung Sahn  ~

      http://www.kwanumzen.com/primarypoint/v14n1-1996-spring-dssn-kobongstrymind.html

      By Joseph Morales:

      Praise to the Dipper Mother (Dou Mu)

      This invocation refers to Dou Mu (Tou Mu),  the goddess of the Big Dipper and the mother deity in charge of all star deities. Ken Cohen says "In qigong theory, the dipper is a reservoir of cosmic qi, collecting qi from all the other constellations and stars as it makes its yearly course." (See Kenneth S. Cohen, The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing.)

      A kindly correspondent at Taoist Mission Singapore sent me a CD of this chant. Since this recording appears to be unavailable in the West, I include a brief sound clip. The text is as follows:

      (Transliteration:) Xiao Zai Yan Shou Tian Zun
      (Sounds like:) Shao Tzai Yen Sho, Tien Tzun
      Click here to listen to the sound clip:

      The Brahma Viharas

      (in English by Andrew Quernmore)

      http://www.vipassana.com/audio_files/bv.ram

      I will abide pervading one quarter with a mind
      imbued with lovingkindness ... compassion ...
      gladness ... equanimity ...

      Likewise the second, likewise the third,
      likewise the fourth;

      So above and below, around and everywhere
      and to all as to myself.

      I will abide pervading the all-encompassing
      world with a mind imbued with lovingkindness
      ... compassion ... gladness ... equanimity ...
      abundant, exalted, immeasurable, without
      hostility and without ill-will.

      http://www.vipassana.com/audio_files/bvra.php

      Homage, Refuges, Precepts

      (in Pali by Andrew Quernmore)

      http://www.vipassana.com/audio_files/chant.ram

      Pali and English translation here:
      http://www.vipassana.com/audio_files/chantra.php

      Wheel

      From Remembering Nisargadatta Maharaj

      by David Godman

      David: Mostly about his Guru, Siddharameshwar Maharaj, and the effect he had had on his life. I think his love for his Guru and his gratitude to him were always present with him. Nisargadatta Maharaj used to do five bhajans a day simply because his Guru had asked him to. Siddharameshwar Maharaj had passed away in 1936, but Nisargadatta Maharaj was still continuing with these practices more than forty years later.

           I once heard him say, 'My Guru asked me to do these five bhajans daily, and he never cancelled his instructions before he passed away. I don't need to do them any more but I will carry on doing them until the day I die because this is the command of my Guru. I continue to obey his instructions, even though I know these bhajans are pointless, because of the respect and gratitude I feel towards him.'

      Aum

      Bhajans

      "Children, first purify the atmosphere by singing the Divine Name without shyness. In this age of Kaliyuga, to get concentration, bhajan is better than meditation. Bhajan, concentration, meditation, this is the progression."

       - Amma -

      Mata Amritanandamayi

      Vin�yaka Vin�yaka
      vin�yaka vin�yaka
      vishv�dhara vin�yaka
      siddhi vin�yaka bhava bhaya n�sha
      suramuni vandita shri ganesha

      vin�yaka = Destroyer of obstacles
      vishv�dhara = Substratum of the Universe
      siddhi vin�yaka = Who accomplishes
      bhavabhayan�sha = Destroyer of the fear of Becoming
      suramuni vandita = Who is bowed down to by gods and sages

      AMMACHI - Mata Amritanandamayi

      http://amma.hindunet.org/amma_bhajans.html

      For the last several years of Papaji's Satsangs, Papaji asked and encouraged people to sing in Satsang. One reason was because, "when someone sings, they can't think". Whether there was singing, dancing, Papaji telling tales or jokes, or esctatic divine discourses, the reason was always to stop the mind, so the person could always be directed to the source, the SELF.

      Another reason is that Papaji likes music and poetry. Sri Poonja is quite a poet himself, like His uncle Swami Rama Tirtha, and in His young years won many poetry competitions. He especially loves the music and poetry of the great Bhakta's and Enlightened Saints, such as Meerabai and Kabir, and also the bhajans and Hindi film songs of awakening and devotion to Krishna, Rama, etc.

      Papaji chose many songs in Hindi for some devotees to sing in Satsang. As these songs were learned, Chandi Devi compiled them into songbook and now offers them  to everyone. They are in transliterated Hindi with English translations under each line.  The meanings can vary, and this is one version. Also, included are the names of famous performers whose tapes include the songs.  If you have songs that you want to add just email prashanti at igc.org!  Enjoy   OM.

      GHUNGATE KE PAT KHOL  by Kabir
          GHUNGATE KE PAT-e KHOL-e RE TOHE .. PIYA MILAINGE  >>>x2
          Open your veil  and you will meet your Beloved

       1) DHAN-e JOBAN-e KA, GAR-e BANE-e KIJE             >>>x2
          Don't be proud of your wealth and beauty
          JHOOTHA PANCH-e RANG-e CHOL-e  RE TOHE .. PIYA MILAINGE
          This body of 5 elements is transient
          (REFRAIN:)
          GHUNGATE KE PAT-e KHOL-e RE TOHE ...  PIYA MILAINGE

       2) SUNNE MANDIR-a MEI,  DIJA JALAI                       >>>x2
          In the temple of the Heart a flame is burning
          ASSAN-e SE MAT-e BOL-e  RE TOHE .. PIYA MILAINGE
          Don't move from this place
          GHUNGATE...(REFRAIN)

       3) GHATE GHATE MAIN TO,  SAI BASAT-e HAI            >>>x2
          In every being he (SELF) resides
          KATU BACHAN-e MAT-e BOL-e  RE TOHE .. PIYA MILAINGE
          Don't talk rudely to anyone
          GHUNGATE...(REFRAIN)

       4) JOGE JUGATE KE,  RANG-e MAHAL-e MAIN               >>>x2
          Be awake in the temple of the body
          PAYO RATAN-e AN-e MOL-e  RE TOHE .. PIYA MILAINGE
          And you will find the priceless jewel
          GHUNGATE...(REFRAIN)

       5) KAHE KABIR-e, ANAND-a  BHAYO HAI                      >>>x2
          Kabir says, there are waves of Bliss
          BAJATA ANAHADA DHOLE  RE TOHE .. PIYA MILAINGE
          Resound with the unstruck music of the Universal Heart
          GUNGHATE...(REFRAIN)                                           >>x3

      Robert Gass & various artists

      "Chant: Spirit in Sound"

      "Allah-Allah-Allah," Sufi chant (Zikhr)
      by Oru� G�ven� & T�mata

      www.plumebleue.ch/extrait/Chant_5a.WAV

      www.plumebleue.ch/pages/discs_pages/chant.htm

      sufiheart

      Jonathan Goldman

      "Chakra Chants"

      http://www.synchronicity.org/sound/M00083.mp3

      http://www.synchronicity.org/Products/Meditation_Music_by_Genre/Meditative.aspx

      "From Jerusalem to Cordoba"

      (A Voyage in Time, Space, and Religions
      Through Chant, Music, and Texts)

      Catherine Braslavsky & Joseph Rowe

      "Abinu"

      http://www.naturalchant.com/mp3/Abinu.mp3

      http://www.naturalchant.com/disco.htm

              Star

      From Tales from the Path - TM

      by Durga

      One benefit of traveling with Maharaj or hosting him was taking part in the early morning arti. This arti is performed to awaken the guru. The words were directed to his guru, but perhaps one could as well take the words of the arti to be directed at awakening the guru within.

      At the end of the arti one of the ladies would sing a beautiful song. The refrain is "Chidananda Roopha Shivoham Shivoham." The translation is, "I am Eternal Bliss, I am Shiva." The song goes on to list all of what one is not. For instance, "I am not the mind, ...ego...nor consciousness,... not the five elements ...not envy, anger, craving, attraction, ...virtue, sin...joy, sorrow...death, birth,...father, mother...guru, aspirant. I am beyond concept, beyond form...I am neither liberated nor in bondage. I am Eternal Bliss, I am Shiva." ...

      http://www.globalserve.net/~sarlo/TalesRA.htm

      Enchanted by Chanting

      by JANICE MAWHINNEY

      Music inspired by 12th-century German mystic
      Slow rhythmic flow has power to relax listeners

      When American soprano Norma Gentile was going to stay for several months at a community in the California desert, she decided to take some music with her. She went to browse among the Gregorian chants in the University of Michigan music library.

      "All of the chant books were bound in black, brown and gray except for one, which was salmon pink," she recalls. "I pulled it out and it was a whole book full of chants in Latin by a woman I'd never heard of, Hildegard von Bingen. I looked at the Latin and saw feminine endings on some of the references to God. I was very excited."

      Gentile made copies of many of the songs and packed them with her Latin dictionary. On the trip, she began making her own translations of the chants that have become a focal point of her life ever since.

      Now she travels around North America performing concerts of the chants of the 12th-century German nun and mystic, including an annual Toronto concert at Bloor St. United Church. She invites everyone who attends the concerts to hum particular notes as a way of participating in the chanting.

      (Read the rest: http://www.healingchants.com/art_int.torontostar.html )

      Norma Gentile performs Hildegarde von Bingen's chants on "Unfurling Love's Creation"

      Listen to "Rex noster promptus est"

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000022BM001001/1/103-2137089-5911028

      http://www.healingchants.com/recordings.html

      Panhala ~ Joe Riley

      BEGIN

      This is now.  Now is,
      all there is.  Don't wait for Then;
      strike the spark, light the fire.

      Sit at the Beloved's table,
      feast with gusto, drink your fill

      then dance
      the way branches
      of jasmine and cypress
      dance in a spring wind.

      The green earth
      is your cloth;
      tailor your robe
      with dignity and grace.

      ~ Rumi ~

      (adapted from a version by Coleman Barks in The Soul of Rumi)

      Web version at
      www.Panhala.net/Archive/Begin.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings at www.Panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      To subscribe to Panhala, send a blank email to
      Panhala-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      music link

      The Boston Camerata

      "Kyrie"

      http://bostoncamerata.org/audio/CD/Noel/3.mp3

      http://bostoncamerata.org/cd/titles/noelnoel.htm

      FAIR USE NOTICE

      This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html . If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

      Do you Yahoo!?