#1765 - Monday, April 12, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2004

      #1765 - Monday, April 12, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      Ben Hassine
      Awakened Awareness

      Peace Pilgrim documentary (one hour)

      Notes by Jerry Katz:

      The movie timed-out a couple of times, so be patient. It's worth it. I was able to watch the whole thing. Peace Pilgrim walked since 1953, never asked for food or a place to sleep. Dan Millman, The Dalai Lama, Maya Angelou, her ex-husband, friends and relatives are featured giving comments.

      I enjoyed the film clips from the fifties with the old cars and fashions. Check out the photos of her as a young woman, dressed in flapper style, and modeling on the beach. She was a babe! Then the deep seeking came upon her. She began working as a seeker and opened herself to being used by existence. Then she found what she was seeking: "To give of something beyond myself." She speaks of the difference between needing to do something greater and the willingness to do it.

      There is an interview with her husband who was married to her when she was young. "No way, shape and form she was a homemaker," he said. She didn't want children and when her husband was drafted into WWII she refused to write or visit him. She wanted him to go to prison instead of the army. At that time she was intensely interested in peace, but hadn't yet become attuned to her mission as pilgrim. They got a divorce. She lived comfortably but had much unrest. Then the calling came to leave what she had and live in poverty carrying out her mission. She was not happy or peaceful with her material life, so she "gave it a try." She severed her old relationships.

      She speaks of moving from the center of the self to the center of the "good." She speaks with a wowness to her voice, which seems kitchy now, but she was protesting the war in Korea and the McCarthy era sickness. That's when she started. There are cuts with scenes from world events of the fifties, sixties, seventies.

      "My vow says I shall become a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace."

      "When I realized what potential people have, I realized how sad that people only scratched the surface of their real potential. No wonder they have problems. No wonder society has problems."

      "What I have and what I need are exactly the same."

      "I own only the things I wear and the few things I carry in my pockets. Just think how free I am."

      "Only as we become more peaceful people will we find ourselves living in a more peaceful world."

      Daily Dharma

      "Our life is not very long: 100 years at the most.

      If throughout its duration we try to be kind, warm-hearted and
      concerned for the welfare of others, and less selfish and angry,
      that will be wonderful, excellent; that is really the cause of
      happiness.

      If you are selfish, if you always put yourself first and others
      second, the actual result will be that you yourself will finish up
      last.

      If mentally you put yourself last and others first, you will come
      out ahead."

                             ~ H.H the Dalai Lama

      The Other Syntax

      "Warrior-travelers don't complain," don Juan went on. "They take
      everything that infinity hands them as a challenge. A challenge is a
      challenge. It isn't personal. It cannot be taken as a curse or a
      blessing. A warrior-traveler either wins the challenge or the
      challenge demolishes him. It's more exciting to win, so win!"

      The Clear View
      The Active Side of Infinity

      Mary Bianco
      NDS News

      Music for the stressed soul

      By Josh Shaffer

      Special to the Star-Telegram

      Ask most spiritual people what they like in music and they'll tell you that God has pretty broad tastes.

      It doesn't matter much to the creator of the universe if you sing a Bach cantata or a string of nonsense syllables, as long as the heart is pure.

      During the first week of daylight-saving time, it's not so much the heart but the body and spirit that need a boost.

      Here, an amateur inspirational spin-doctor offers uplifting musical suggestions for any time of the day.

      WAKE-UP CALL
      ChristianPC Munoz and the Amen Corner. Funk Mass for St. Martin De Porres. Imagine George Clinton in the priesthood.
      Native AmericanKiowa traditional, War Dance (Fast). You tried to be reasonable, but now it's time to break out the red feathers.
      BuddhistMonks of Tharpa Choeling Monastery, Offering to the Savior Gompo. Lost on the way to enlightenment? Just follow the clanking frying pans.
      JewishYehoshua Rochman, Abu's Courtyard. This violin will roust you.
      Mideast/IndianYahya Arouma, Taba'an Liqa (It Was Nice To Meet You). Greetings from Yemen.
      MIDDAY PANIC
      ChristianJars of Clay, Flood. Could be worse. Could be raining. For 40 days.
      Native AmericanMountain Spirit Song, Apache traditional. Among the most sacred of Apache dances, intended to protect and ward off disease.
      BuddhistMonks of the Gyuto Monastery, Sangwa Duepa Chant. These Tibetans chant for an hour in unbelievably low tones. Try it at your desk and co-workers will ask if you're birthing a tuba.
      JewishShefa Gold, Free My Soul. People appear in dreams with directions out of the wilderness.
      Mideast/IndianNusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Jewleh Lal. Sufis belive in a realm of consciousness where earthly passion and divine love meet.
      LATE-AFTERNOON SLOTH
      ChristianDC Talk, Jesus Freak. Good for spicing up the teen abstinence rally.
      Native AmericanArikana traditional, Warrior Song. Emphatic drumming sounds like someone's building a deck inside your skull.
      BuddhistJeff Beal and Nawang Khechog, Long Life Chant (Tibet: Cry of the Snow Lion soundtrack). Accept your sloth. Embrace your sloth. Become your sloth.
      JewishIsrael Edelson, Hop Cossaek. Piano jaunty enough to back up a vaudeville act.
      Mideast/IndianFrancoise Atlan, Nechama. Sung in Aramaic by a Jewish woman from Algeria: If only global unity were so easy.
      JUBILATION
      ChristianThe Blind Boys of Alabama, Just Wanna See His Face. So what if Mick Jagger sang it before the Blind Boys made it into a gospel hoot?
      Native AmericanPapago traditional, Song of the Green Rainbow. Dance under a green rainbow and make the whole world wet. Beats workin'.
      BuddhistKelsang Chukie Tethong, Ala Ye. Cast money and other trivialities aside.
      JewishHarry Belafonte, Hava Nagila. Some call it the world's most famous song of joy.
      Mideast/IndianChandrakantha and David Courtney, Om Jaya Jagadish Hare. Traditional Hindu songs straight from the temple in Midland, Texas. Namaste, y'all.
      ANGST AT 3 A.M.
      ChristianAlison Krauss and Gillian Welch, I'll Fly Away. From O Brother, Where Art Thou?
      Native AmericanNavajo traditional, Yei-Be-Chai Chant. No drums -- only rattles. A healing song straight from the deities.
      BuddhistKelsang Chukie Tethong, Generation of Bodhichita. A prayer that we may benefit sentient beings.
      JewishMuzsikas, The Rooster Is Crowing. From The Lost Jewish Music of Transylvania -- Hungarian folk music played mostly by musicians who died in the Holocaust.
      Mideast/IndianNusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Ben Haadh Ramza Dhasdha. The story of a Persian Sufi martyr, crucified in the 10th century for saying "I Am the Truth."

      Some of this music can be purchased at: www.jewishmusic.com www.realworldrecords.comwww.narada.com www.amazon.com

      "I walk until given shelter. I walk until given food."

      "I wish for all children a situation in which they can grow."

      --Peace Pilgrim

      When asked what untold secret she was keeping all these years, she told a friend, "There was a time when I died, utterly died to myself."