#1761 - Thursday, April 8, 2004

  • Know Mystery
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2004

      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:   http://nonduality.com/hlhome.htm

      Heron

      Photo: Alan Larus ~ TrueVision

      Bill Kelley ~ DailyDharma archives

      The great sea stirs me.
      The great sea sets me adrift,
      It sways me like the weed on a river-stone.

      The sky's height stirs me.
      The strong wind blows through my mind.
      It carries me with it,
      And moves my soul with joy.

      ~  an Inuit Shaman  ~

      From the journal, "Heron Dance," published by Heron Dance

       www.herondance.org

      #1761 - Thursday, April 8, 2004 - Editor: joyce (know_mystery)

      Kristi Shelloner ~ NondualitySalon archives

      The Peace of Wild Things

      When despair grows in me
      and I wake in the middle of the night at the least sound
      in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
      I go and lie down where the wood drake
      rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
      I come into the peace of wild things
      who do not tax their lives with forethought
      of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
      And I feel above me the day-blind stars
      waiting for their light. For a time
      I rest in the grace of the world, and am free

      ~ Wendell Berry ~

      Lisbeth ~ Monks_Mystics

      Heron stands in the blue estuary,
      Solitary, white, unmoving for hours.
      A fish! Quick avian darting;
      The prey is captured.

      People People always ask how to follow Tao. It is as easy and
      natural as the heron standing in the water. The bird moves
      when it must; it does not move when stillness is
      appropriate.

      The secret of its serenity is a type of vigilance, a
      contemplative state.

      The heron is not in mere dumbness or sleep. It knows a
      lucid stillness.

      It stands unmoving in the flow of the water. It gazes
      unperturbed and is aware. When Tao brings it something that
      it needs, it seizes the opportunity without hesitation or
      deliberation. Then it goes back to its quiescence without
      disturbing itself or its surroundings. Unless it found the
      right position in the water's flow and remained patient, it
      would not have succeeded.

      Actions in life can be reduced to two factors: positioning
      and timing.

      If we are not in the right place at the right time, we
      cannot possibly take advantage of what life has to offer
      us. Almost anything is appropriate if an action is in
      accord with the time and the place. But we must be vigilant
      and prepared. Even if the time and the place are right, we
      can still miss our chance if we do not notice the moment, if
      we act inadequately, or if we hamper ourselves with doubts
      and second thoughts. When life presents an opportunity, we
      must be ready to seize it without hesitation or inhibition.
      Position is useless without awareness. If we have both, we
      make no mistakes.

      positioning
      365 Tao
      Deng Ming-Dao
      Daily Meditations

      http://www.duckdaotsu.org/positioning1.html

      looking together
      across the frozen lake
      the heron and I

      ~  Jan van den Pol  ~

      Heron_Flight

      Photo: Alan Larus

      Skye Chambers/Andrew McNabb ~ NondualitySalon archives

      Shojiro has just told me that when Fukuoka was a young man
      he was a scientist (microbiologist) working for the Tokyo
      quarantine when he discovered he had a illness something
      like pneumonia which nearly killed him. During the illness
      he thought he experienced something like *all that is*

      "I was finally released from the hospital, but I could not pull myself out of my
      depression. In what had I placed my confidence until then? I had been
      unconcerned and content, but what was the nature of that complasensy?
      I was in an agony of doubt about the nature of life and death. I could not sleep,
      could not apply myself to my work. In nightly wanderings above the bluff
      and beside the harbor, I could find no relief.

      One night as I wandered, I collapsed in exhaustion on a hill overlooking the
      harbor, finally dozing against the trunk of a large tree I lay there, neither
      asleep or awake, until dawn. I can still remember that it was the morning of the 15th
      of May. In a daze I watched the harbor grow light, seeing the sunrise and yet somehow
      not seeing it. As the breeze blew up from below the bluff, the morning mist suddenly
      disappeared. Just at that moment a night heron appeared, gave a sharp cry, and
      flew away into the distance. I could hear the flapping of its wings. In an instant
      all my doubts and the gloomy mist of my confusion vanished. Everything I had held in
      firm conviction, everything upon which I had ordinarily relied was swept away with
      the wind. I felt that I understood just one thing. Without my thinking about them,
      words came from my mouth: "In this world there is nothing at all..." I felt that I
      understood nothing. I could see that all the concepts to which I had been clinging, the very
      notion of existence itself, were empty fabrications. My spirit became light and clear. I
      was dancing wildly for joy. I could hear the small birds chirping in the trees, and
      see the distant waves glistening in the rising sun. The leaves danced green and
      sparkling. I felt that this was truly heaven on earth. Everything that had possessed me,
      all my agonies, disappeared like dreams and illusions, and something one might call
      "true nature" stood revealed.

      I think it could safely be said that from the experience of that morning my
      life changed completely."

      Freyja ~ NondualitySalon archives

      Heron

      Photo - Alan Larus ~ TrueVusion

      Dinner for Heron

      Spotting a great blue meandering gracefully
      along the bank of the little pond

      Reaching one end
      Crossing the width to the other side

      Catching a glimpse of movement
      moving towards, inch by inch

      Ah!  A fish!  Don't care what kind
      no- mind knows not "what kind"

      Staying perfectly still
      Poised for the one fell swoop

      Unsuspecting fish plucked out
      just like that!  just like that!

      Fish dangling from magnificently curved beak
      for a spell

      Placing it on ground
      Fish flapping about a bit, heron quickly snatching it up
      (repeating as many times
      as needed)

      Bringing fish over to the picnic spot....
      and....Voila!   giant fish
      disappearing down long, slim
      elastic neck
      of heron

      HA!  Now you see it, now you don't
      What a slight of hand...or
      simply just energy changing forms
      ....doing its thing.....
      in the circle of life

      ~  freyja  ~

      Alan Larus ~ TrueVision archives

      Blue Heron's Relaxing Front Porch

      And I just wondered
      Is the Blue Heron the bird
      I saw this summer,
      when I was swimming in the lake.

      I did not move at all, it came to look for fish
      spotting me just above my head,
      and my search engine gives me

      Blue Heron Softshell Inn
      Blue Heron Pines
      Blue Heron Rafting
      Blue Heron Environmental Network
      Blue Heron Catering
      Blue Heron Realty
      Blue Heron boating adventure
      Blue Heron Guide Service
      Blue Heron Kayak Tours

      Great Blue Heron Records
      and need a Blue Heron Softshell Case
      while someone on the radio sings
      'what do you do in the bath?'
      Finally, number 62, it was
      the same bird
      and a photo too

      ~ Alan  ~

       Mace Mealer ~ Illuminata archives

      Standing breathless
      words evaporate
      as two white herons
      cross an azure sky.

      ~ Mace Mealer ~

      Heron-2

      Heron

      www.mamohanraj.com/Everglades/everglades12.html

      Panhala ~ Joe Riley

      Heron Rises from the Dark, Summer Pond

      So heavy
      is the long-necked, long-bodied heron,
      always it is a surprise
      when her smoke-colored wings

      open
      and she turns
      from the thick water,
      from the black sticks

      of the summer pond,
      and slowly
      rises into the air
      and is gone.

      Then, not for the first or the last time,
      I take the deep breath
      of happiness, and I think
      how unlikely it is

      that death is a hole in the ground,
      how improbable
      that ascension is not possible,
      though everything seems so inert, so nailed

      back into itself --
      the muskrat and his lumpy lodge,
      the turtle,
      the fallen gate.

      And especially it is wonderful
      that the summers are long
      and the ponds so dark and so many,
      and therefore it isn't a miracle

      but the common thing,
      this decision,
      this trailing of the long legs in the water,
      this opening up of the heavy body

      into a new life: see how the sudden
      gray-blue sheets of her wings
      strive toward the wind; see how the clasp of nothing
      takes her in.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      (What Do We Know:Poems and Prose Poems)

      know_mystery ~ Deep Well

      When the Green Shoots Come

      We went out to watch
      the comet that night

      across the road,
      where the break in the trees
      opened to heaven.

      The nights were warmer by then,
      that April night,

      and climbing the short fence
      between roadway and nature,

      you stumbled into grasses
      left flattened by snow.

      I broke your fall.

      And do you remember
      how i spun you to the East?

      At my feet, the heron's neck
      bent at the wrong angle,

      and the nylon filament
      wrapped feathers and bone, flightless.

      I never told you.

      For five seasons now,
      I've watched the marshes...
      the geese, the swans, the coots...

      One blue heron...

      Wondering if they mate for life
      like coyote? quail...loons...

      for five seasons since...

      Today i am enthralled
      when the green shoots come

      to the surface of the field
      like an ocean of spring.

      There wading through grasses,
      the birds lean skyward

      and, gathering momentum, rise up
      to soar.

      Both of them.

      The herons.

      ~  joyce  ~

            Photo: Alan Larus ~ TrueVisionHeron

       Panhala ~ Joe Riley

      Vocation

      This dream the world is having about itself
      includes a trace on the plains of the Oregon trail,
      a groove in the grass my father showed us all
      one day while meadowlarks were trying to tell
      something better about to happen.

      I dreamed the trace to the mountains, over the hills,
      and there a girl who belonged wherever she was.
      But then my mother called us back to the car:
      she was afraid; she always blamed the place,
      the time, anything my father planned.

      Now both of my parents, the long line through the plain,
      the meadowlarks, the sky, the world's whole dream
      remain, and I hear him say while I stand between the two,
      helpless, both of them part of me:
      "Your job is to find what the world is trying to be."

      ~ William Stafford ~

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Vocation.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      To subscribe to Panhala, send a blank email to
      Panhala-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      music link

      150. Fingers pointing at the moon,
      The heron's cry in the snow;
      Standing in the moonlight,
      How alike we are.

      151. Breeze through the reeds,
      Birds on the rippling waters,
      effortless their coming and going,
      Willow shadow on the bank.

      152. Incense smell of pines,
      Subtle in its inspiration,
      Sitting in the smoke shadow,
      Dreaming of stillness.

      ~  By Rev. Tasogare Shinju  ~

      From "Rememberance of Buddha"

      FAIR USE NOTICE

      This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html . If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

      Do you Yahoo!?