#1760 - Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2004
      #1760 - Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      The following is from the German version of the Highlights. Nichtduale(n) Highlights, edited by Hans Schulz. The home page is at http://nonduality.com/hlghome.htm. If you read German, join the list. There is one post every few weeks and the contents may or may not be from the English Highlights.

      Bede Griffiths OSB, THE NEW CREATION IN CHRIST:
      CHRISTIAN MEDITATION AND COMMUNITY
      (Springfield, IL: Templegate, 1994) p50 / p77

      "To enter deeply into meditation is to enter into
      the mystery of suffering love. It is to encounter
      the woundedness of our human nature. We are all
      deeply wounded from our infancy and bear these
      wounds in the unconscious. The repetition of the
      mantra is a way of opening these depths of the
      unconsciousness and exposing them to light. It is
      first of all to accept our woundedness and thus
      to realize that this is part of the wound of
      humanity. All the weaknesses we find in ourselves
      and all the things that upset us, we tend to try
      to push aside and get rid of. But we cannot do
      this. We have to accept that "this is me" and
      allow grace to come and heal it all. That is the
      great secret of suffering, not to push it back
      but to open the depths of the unconscious and to
      realize that we are not isolated individuals when
      we meditate, but are entering into the whole
      inheritance of the human family."

      "The resurrection does not consist merely of the
      appearances of Jesus to his disciples after his
      death. Many think that these appearances in
      Galilee and Jerusalem are the resurrection. But
      they are simply to confirm the faith of the
      disciples. The real resurrection is the passing
      beyond the world altogether. It is Jesus' passage
      from this world to the Father. It was not an
      event in space and time, but the passage beyond
      space and time to the eternal, to reality. Jesus
      passed into reality. That is our starting point.
      It is into that world that we are invited to
      enter by meditation. We do not have to wait for
      physical death, but we can enter now into that
      eternal world. We have to go beyond the outer
      appearances of the senses and beyond the concepts
      of the mind, and open ourselves to the reality of
      Christ within, the Christ of the resurrection.".

      Daily Dharma

      "Furthermore, Enlightenment, Self Realization, does
      not belong to anyone either....Although it may occur
      in virtually any context - Buddhist, Christian, Yogic,
      Sufi, Hindu, Fourth Way, Muslim, Taoist, Jewish,
      Wiccan, 12-Step work, shamanistic, agnostic,
      scientific and so on, Spiritual Awakening, the
      Realization of Emptiness, the Tao, cannot be owned.
      How could That which is infinite be possessed by any
      religion, tradition, path, lineage, teacher, or
      hierarchy, all of which are limited? Is God a
      Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim? Is Enlightenment
      controlled by Buddhists or Yogis or Hindus? How could
      That which is formless be made to conform to any set
      of assumptions about liberation, past or future?
      ....Is truth a really a matter of subjective opinion?
      Is not truth, if that word means anything at all, an
      ongoing process of careful observation and
      uncompromised, undefended honesty?

      It's time we stop pretending, subtly or overtly, that
      our particular group is superior in some way. That's a
      hidden way of saying, 'I'm superior,' (and therefore
      not inferior). Let's bring our woundedness, our
      childhood fears and hurts of inferiority, covered over
      by the pretense of individual or collective
      superiority, to a total and absolute halt. Completely.
      Now. If we need to weep, then let's weep together. And
      let those tears of shame be tears of relief, tears of
      joy, in finally putting down this burden of trying to
      defend and justify what we have imagined ourselves to
      be. What doesn't exist doesn't need to be defended. It
      never did."

      ~Scott Morrison

      From the web site, "Ramana Maharshi and Others At
      Ease."
      http://www.sentient.org/scottm.htm

      from JS Online: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

      Much more than food: Last Supper comes from deep
      spiritual tradition
      By KAREN HERZOG

      The Last Supper was no accidental potluck.

      To Christians who mark the Last Supper today, it
      was the most significant meal of all time.

      Jesus broke bread and shared wine with his
      disciples, immortalizing his body and blood and
      continuing a tradition of spirituality centered
      on food and drink.

      Throughout his life, he used food in allegories
      to teach lessons. Whenever he performed a miracle
      with food, he also fed followers a message.

      Food remains a focal point of milestones,
      holidays and culture. But some religious leaders
      fear today's fast-food lifestyle disassociates
      food from relationships, eroding ancient human
      spirituality nurtured through shared meals.

      "Food and meals - regardless of whether they were
      holiday meals or not - were considered sacred in
      biblical times, both in Hebrew and Christian
      traditions," said the Rev. Susan
      Patterson-Sumwalt, senior pastor at United
      Methodist Church of Whitefish Bay. "That's a
      different perspective than our driving through
      McDonald's."

      Sharing food and drink is a fundamental part of
      life. "These are ways in which we grow in our
      love for each other and for God," said Milwaukee
      Catholic Archbishop Timothy Dolan. "It became
      sacred when Jesus used the context of the
      Passover to give Christians the greatest prayer
      and banquet of all."

      Teaching meals The Last Supper actually was the
      culmination of many teaching meals for Jesus,
      Dolan said.

      Jesus performed his first miracle at a wedding
      banquet, when, at the request of his mother, he
      turned water into wine because the wine had run
      out. He also fed a multitude of 5,000 with five
      loaves and two fishes, revealing himself as the
      great provider, Dolan noted.

      He shared meals with sinners and brought marginal
      people into the center through meals, added
      Father Michael G. Witczak, rector and professor
      of liturgical studies at the Archdiocese's St.
      Francis Seminary.

      The first thing Jesus did after calling the
      despised tax collector Matthew to be a disciple
      was to share a meal with him, Witczak said.

      "At one basic level, people ate at these meals,"
      Witczak said. "But there were moments for
      teaching. The dominant theme is reconciliation."

      Even though the Gospels are silent on exactly
      what was served, the Last Supper is believed to
      have been a traditional Passover seder, blending
      symbolic foods and ancient prayers to tell the
      story of the Jews' deliverance from slavery.
      Gospel accounts mention only the Passover bread
      and wine.

      Witczak said there's a significant parallel
      between the book of Exodus - which describes the
      gathering of Israelites for a meal as the angel
      of death passed over them at Passover - and the
      Gospels that describe Jesus gathering his
      disciples for the Passover seder to foretell his
      betrayal and death, which laid the foundation for
      Christianity.

      The New Testament offers few details about the
      Last Supper, saying only that it took place in
      the upper room of a private home inside walled
      Jerusalem around the time of the Passover. Three
      of the Gospels say the Last Supper was the
      Passover seder; one says Jesus died the day
      before the seder.

      At the table Biblical scholars still debate
      details of the meal, and especially Leonardo da
      Vinci's famous painting that depicts it. In the
      da Vinci painting, the celebrants are seated
      along one side of an elegant, linen-covered
      banquet table.

      Some scholars say it's most likely that the
      disciples lounged on low couches around small
      round tables, as was customary at the time, and
      not at a banquet table.

      The disciples casually leaned against one another
      as they passed a cup of red wine, and used their
      fingers to eat from a communal platter, suggests
      Kitty Morse, author of "A Biblical Feast: Foods
      From the Holy Land."

      If it was a seder, the meal began with the
      telling of the Passover story - a ritual that by
      then was 1,000 years old, Witczak said. They
      would have recalled the slavery in Egypt, the
      visit by the angel of death, and the Exodus.

      The mood was troubled and sorrowful as Jesus
      prepared his disciples for his impending death,
      giving thanks for the bread and the cup, and
      offering them as signs of his sacrifice and
      eventual return.

      Remembering the supper Much of modern day Holy
      Week is occupied with setting the place, if not
      the table, for that Last Supper.

      Tonight, area churches will mark the Last Supper
      with a variety of approaches.

      Dolan will participate in a 7 p.m. Mass of the
      Lord's Supper and washing of feet at the
      Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, 812 N.
      Jackson St. At Mequon United Methodist Church,
      tables will be set up in the form of a cross for
      a candlelight service at 7:30 p.m. Re-enactments
      of the Last Supper, visually based on da Vinci's
      painting, are set for 7:30 p.m. at both Salem
      United Methodist Church in Salem, and the United
      Methodist Church of Whitefish Bay. Other churches
      are hosting Christian seders that blend rituals
      of the seder with the Last Supper, including
      Village Church, 130 E. Juneau Ave., starting at 6
      p.m.

      Hospitality, like the kind Jesus modeled at the
      Last Supper, is woven into Middle Eastern
      culture, when visitors are welcomed into the
      inner sanctums of homes. It is central to
      Judaism.

      "The Jews can teach much about proclaiming a
      'table spirituality,' having for centuries
      celebrated their religious feasts and holy days
      around the altar of the family table," Holly
      Whitcomb, a United Church of Christ pastor and
      spiritual retreat director from Elm Grove, writes
      in her book, "Feasting With God: Adventures in
      Table Spirituality."

      During the seder, the head of the household
      reclines at the table, dramatizing freedom. The
      youngest child asks the crucial question, "Why is
      this night different from all the other nights?"
      and is answered by the Haggadah, the book that
      leads them through the table service. By
      remembering the Exodus with symbolic foods at the
      family table, the story is preserved and passed
      down from one generation to the next.

      "One of the beautiful things about Judaism is
      that its rituals are not confined to the
      synagogue," writes Rabbi Ephraim Z. Buchwald,
      founder and director of the National Jewish
      Outreach Program in New York City. "Passover is a
      perfect example of how Jewish tradition is
      integrated into the home and family life."

      Some Christians find a connection to Jesus' last
      meal by preparing elements of his Last Supper for
      Communion. Even Communion wine may be homemade.

      Gale Guenther of West Allis makes Communion wine
      in his basement rec room for eight area Lutheran
      churches. The amateur winemaker has been donating
      70 to 80 gallons of Communion wine each year
      since 1990, when be began supplying his own
      congregation at Mount Hope Lutheran Church in
      West Allis.

      "I've been very blessed all my life, and have
      received many good things from many people,"
      Guenther said. "Now it's my time to reciprocate.
      It is a blessing for me to be a part of
      Communion."

      Petros-Truth

      "Your agreement [with existence] alone is your spiritual discipline."

      -- Osho, from The Voice of Silence