#1756 - Saturday, April 3, 2004

  • Mark Otter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2004

      Nondual Highlights Issue #1756 Saturday, April 3, 2004 Editor: Mark

      "My heart was carried, and my head with, without I being able to prevent it."

      - St. Therese of Avila

      - Image "The Ecstasy of Saint Therese" BERNINI, Gian Lorenzo (b. 1598, Napoli, d. 1680, Roma)

      - Contributed to AdyashantiSatsang by Mazie Lane.

      The amazing thing is that we actually search for That. We think it is somewhere in the future, but it turns out to be ever-present. We think it is hidden, but it turns out to be always obvious and self-evident. We think it is something to be acquired, but it turns to be our very own self. In fact, it turns out that there is nothing else other than our self. We are already That. There's nothing to be found, nothing to be solved, nothing to do but just stop searching and rest in Being - the here and the now, just as it is. It's amazing that we could ever have missed seeing it! And, upon seeing it, all we can do is laugh!

      More here: http://3mg.fcpages.com/nondual.html

      . --- In AdyashantiSatsang@yahoogroups.com, Kees Schreuders wrote:

      > Does humor belong in spirituality?
      What could be it's importance?
      Where does it point to?

      )))Hi Kees!

      Great inquiry!

      I think you'll find, if you stick around
      here (or review the archives), that we
      consider humor to be the jewel in
      the lotus that floats us.

      It seems that the more serious
      we take ourself, the further we are
      from realizing our essential nature.

      Zen Master Sasaki Roshi, with whom I spent a couple of
      years at Mt. Baldy Zen Monastery, once told me
      that the best meditation anybody could do was to
      get up in the morning, open the window, place your
      hands on your hips, lean back and laugh your ass off
      for at least 10 minutes every day!

      - Kees Schreuders and Robert O'Hearn on AdyashantiSatsang

      The sound of running water in a
      desert, the Dharma of Fun
      is that rare!
      Abundance of Cold Mountain -
      running water everywhere!

      White clouds billowing over
      glad green hills, making
      friends with skies of
      blue, like you and
      I and running water --

      happily passing through.

      This wandering life amidst such
      scenes may not be fun for everyone,
      but speaking here of running water --

      running water likes to run.

      Even depthless pools of breathless
      silence are but running waterÂ’s
      peaceable liquidity of
      stillness having

      Waterfalls of happy laughter
      need not come after,
      though often
      they will -

      this is just the simple sound
      the water makes when
      having fun means
      being still.

      - Robert O'Hearn from AdyashantiSatsang.

      The monk stood beside a wheelbarrow, weeping.

      God or Buddha nowhere to be seen -
      these tears were fully human,
      bitter, broken,
      falling onto the wheelbarrow's rusty side.

      They gathered at its bottom,
      where the metal dramk them in to make more rust.

      You cannot know what you do in this life, what you have done.

      The monk stood weeping.
      I knew I also had a place on this hard earth.

      - Jane Hirshfield, published in Shambala Sun, May, 2004.

      Then is our history all a lie?

      Not while it is happening. In retrospect, absolutely. One cannot view the NOW faithfully from any historical perspective.

      There is not one of you who does not walk in the colorless atmosphere of memory, when your hearts are longing to be in the Light of NOW, to celebrate your life. You feel burdened because you remember burdens. When you are laughing, if your mind is still, the entire universe laughs.

      The message from the world of spirit can be stated with simplicity:

      Perfect love is all there is
      and perfect love must be experienced
      in the NOW,
      All else
      is fear's complexity.

      - from Emmanuel's Book II - The Choice for Love, compiled by Pat Rodegast and Judith Stanton, and published by Bantam Books.

      Grief is a sign that we loved something more than ourselves. . . . Grief makes us worthy to suffer with the rest of the world.

      - Joan Chittister in Gospel Days

      When tears come, I breathe deeply and rest. I know I am swimming in a hallowed stream where many have gone before. I am not alone, crazy, or having a nervous breakdown . . . My heart is at work. My soul is awake."

      - Mary Margaret Funk in Thoughts Matter

      What we have to learn, in both meditation and in life, is to be free of attachment to the good experiences, and free of aversion to the negative ones.

      - Sogyal Rimpoche

      It is laughing and crying and ... everything.

      Yes. It is finally discovered in everything. It is in laughing, crying, joy, grief, ecstasy, sadness, emptiness, fullness, you, me, this and that. It is even in past, present, and future.

      There is enormous physical, emotional, and mental release when that which has never been contracted is recognized. If there is an attempt to cling to physical release, or emotional release, or mental release, what is always open is again overlooked.

      In the usual mode of conditioned identification, thoughts, feelings, and experience are referenced for Self-definition. These are traps.

      You are the indefinable source of all feeling, all thought, all experience.

      Yes,the heart beats very rapidly in this revelation.

      - excerpt from YOU ARE THAT - Satsang with Gangaji, published by Satsang Press.