#1748 - Friday, March 26, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2004
      Beginners -- Denise Levertov

      #1748 - Friday, March 26, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      Zen does not confuse spirituality
      with thinking about God
      while one is peeling the potatoes.
      Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.

      - Allan Watts

      For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin.....
      But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten
      through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt
      to be paid.Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these
      obstacles were my life.

      -   Alfred Souza

      How can we ever lose interest in life?
      Spring has come again
      And cherry trees bloom in the mountains.

      - Ryokan

      Dedicated to the memory of Karen Silkwood and Eliot Gralla

      “From too much love of living,
      Hope and desire set free,
      Even the weariest river
      Winds somewhere to the sea—“

      But we have only begun
      To love the earth.

      We have only begun
      To imagine the fullness of life.

      How could we tire of hope?
      — so much is in bud.

      How can desire fail?
      — we have only begun

      to imagine justice and mercy,
      only begun to envision

      how it might be
      to live as siblings with beast and flower,
      not as oppressors.

      Surely our river
      cannot already be hastening
      into the sea of nonbeing?

      Surely it cannot
      drag, in the silt,
      all that is innocent?

      Not yet, not yet—
      there is too much broken
      that must be mended,

      too much hurt we have done to each other
      that cannot yet be forgiven.

      We have only begun to know
      the power that is in us if we would join
      our solitudes in the communion of struggle.

      So much is unfolding that must
      complete its gesture,

      so much is in bud.

      ~ Denise Levertov ~

      (Candles in Babylon)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Beginners.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings:
      www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      If we do not change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed for.

      -Chinese Proverb

      Welcome to the Save Our Environment Action Center -- a collaborative effort of the nation's most influential environmental advocacy organizations harnessing the power of the internet to increase public awareness and activism on today's most important environmental issues.

      There are sacred moments in life when we experience in rational and
      very direct ways that separation, the boundary between ourselves
      and other people and between ourselves and Nature, is illusion.
      Oneness is reality.  We can experience that stasis is illusory and
      that reality is continual flux and change on very subtle and also
      on gross levels of perception.
      -   Charlene Spretnak

      It is a glorious privilege to live, to know, to act, to listen,
      to behold, to love. To look up at the blue summer sky;
      to see the sun sink slowly beyond the line of the horizon;
      to watch the worlds come twinkling into view, first one
      by one, and the myriads that no man can count, and lo!
      the universe is white with them; and you and I are here.
      - Marco Morrow

      Abandon the urge to simplify everything, to look for formulas and
      easy answers,  and to begin to think multidimensionally, to glory
      in the mystery and paradoxes of life, not to be dismayed by the
      multitude of causes and consequences that are  inherent in each
      experience -- to appreciate the fact that life is complex.
      - M. Scott Peck

      "The world is not to be put in order; the world is order, incarnate.
      It is for us to harmonize with this order."

      -Henry Miller

      The Wisdom of don Juan

      As long as a man feels that he is the
      most important thing in the world, he
      cannot really appreciate the world
      around him.  He is like a horse with blinders;
      all he sees is himself, apart from everything
      else.

      -From Journey to Ixtlan

      ~ ~ ~

      The flaw with words is that they always make us feel
      enlightened, but when we turn around to face the world they always
      fail us and we end up facing the world as we always have, without
      enlightenment. For this reason, a warrior seeks to act rather than
      to talk, and to this effect, he gets a new description of the
      world where talking is not that important, and
      where new acts have new reflections.

      -From Tales of Power

      ~ ~ ~

      For an average man, the world is
      weird because if he's not bored with it,
      he's at odds with it.  For a warrior, the
      world is weird because it is stupendous,
      awesome, mysterious, unfathomable.  A
      warrior must assume responsibility for
      being here, in this marvelous world, in
      this marvelous time.

      -From Journey to Ixtlan

      Tom Hickcox ~ Awareness-theWayToLove

      There isn't enough darkness in all the world
      to snuff out the light of one little candle.

             Anon

      DG ~ Daily Dharma

      "Having had an experience of letting go, even just once, proves beyond a
      shadow of a doubt that it means getting rid of a great burden. Carrying
      one's hate and greed around is a heavy load, which, when abandoned, gets
      us out of the duality of judgment. It's pleasant to be without thinking;
      mental formations are troublesome.

      "If we succeed even once or twice during a day to let go of our
      reactions, we have taken a great step and can more easily do it again.
      We have realized that a feeling which has arisen can be stopped, it need
      not be carried around all day. The relief from this will be the proof
      that a great inner discovery has been made and that the simplicity of
      non-duality shows us the way towards truth."

      ~Ayya Khema

      From the web site, "Vipassana Fellowship."

      "We jump from picture to picture and cannot follow
      The living curve that is breathlessly the same."

      Louis MacNeice

      Daily Buddhist Wisdom

      In learning this path, it is only important to walk on the real
      ground, to act on the basis of reality.  The slightest phoniness,
      and you fall into the realm of demons.

      -Liao-an
      From "The Pocket Zen Reader," edited by Thomas
      Cleary, 1999. Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala
      Publications, Boston, www.shambhala.com

      http://www.beliefnet.com

      That which you are, your true self, you love it, and whatever
      you do, you do for your own happiness. To find it, to know it,
      to cherish it is your basic urge. Since time immemorial you loved
      yourself, but never wisely. Use your body and mind wisely in the
      service of the self, that is all. Be true to your own self, love
      yourself absolutely. Do not pretend that you love others as
      yourself. Unless you have realized them as one with yourself,
      you cannot love them. Don't pretend to be what you are not,
      don't refuse to be what you are. Your love of others is the
      result of self- knowledge, not its cause. Without
      self-realization, no virtue is genuine. When you know beyond all
      doubting that the same life flows through all that is and you are
      that life, you will love all naturally and spontaneously. When you
      realize the depth and fullness of yourself, you know that every
      living being and the entire universe are included in your
      affection. But when you look at anything as separate from you,
      you cannot love it for you are afraid of it. Alienation causes fear
      and fear deepens alienation. It is a vicious circle. Only
      self-realization can break it. Go for it resolutely.

      - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      Pinkfish ~ Allspirit

      What is the Heart?

      What is the heart? It is not human,
      and it is not imaginary. I call it

      you. Stately bird, who one moment
      combines with this world, and the

      next, passes through the boundary to
      the unseen. The soul cannot find you

      because you are the soul's wings, how
      it moves. Eyes cannot see you: you

      are the source of sight. You're the
      one thing repentance will not repent,

      nor news report. Spring comes: one
      seed refuses to germinate and start

      being a tree. One poor piece of wood
      blackens but will not catch fire.

      The alchemist wonders at a bit of
      copper that resists turning to gold.

      Who am I that I'm with you and still
      myself? When the sun comes up,

      the complicated nightmind of the
      constellations fades. Snowforms do

      not last through July. The heart-
      quality embodied by our master, Shams

      Tabriz, will always dissolve the old
      quarrel between those who believe in

      the dignity of a human being's decisions
      and those who claim they're all illusion.

      ~ Rumi

      from "The Glance", trans. by Coleman Barks