#1747 - Thursday, March 25, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2004
      #1747 - Thursday, March 25, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      Letter to the Editors: Click 'Reply', compose your message, and 'Send'. All the editors will see your letter.

      This issue is about silence.

      Gill Eardley
      Allspirit Inspiration

      From: 'Ask The Awakened: The Negative Way'
      by Wei Wu Wei

      Golden Silence

      The faculty that distinguishes man from all other animals is
      that of speech, and he makes use of it with the enthusiasm
      of a convert and the lack of moderation of a child with a
      new toy. The popular notion of government, at all levels, is
      government by talking, and often it amounts to little else.
      The inefficiency of this is demonstrated by the fact that
      when obvious security is at stake, as in the case of ships at
      sea and armies on land, government by talking is abandoned
      and there is substituted for it the rule of one man, whose
      word is law and whose words of command are so brief as
      to ignore syntax. When it has happened that in the first
      enthusiasm of popular revolutions that natural law has been
      temporarily abrogated the ship has been known to sink and
      the army to be beaten.

      It is instructive, and also entertaining, to observe that one of
      man's methods of showing respect, on the death of a celebrated
      individual or in commemoration of a catastrophe, is to observe
      one minute, or even two, of silence, that is to refrain from talking
      for that all too brief period; and that has been apt to prove too
      great a strain for regular application. It would appear that the
      maintenance of silence is well-nigh insupportable to the average
      man, and at the same time he cherishes an illusory notion that
      almost anything can be achieved by chatter. Verbiage is his primary
      occupation, and his method of self-assertion, and in many countries
      even a musical programme on the radio rarely lasts for more than
      a few minutes without being interrupted by an outburst of entirely
      superfluous 'gab'. 'Gab', in short, is his idea of living, and he
      expresses his ideas, even the most erudite, with the exception of
      higher mathematics, in the greatest possible number of words
      instead of in the fewest.

       But talking is probably the greatest hindrance to the development
      of man's spiritual possibilities, and of all forms of activity the
      one which most efficiently bars his way to that higher state of
      consciousness which is his unique possibility, his right, and his
      only certain justification. This is hardly an original observation;
      the Ch'an masters evidently knew it - since they spoke so briefly
      as to be barely comprehensible, and the most vital sutras, shorn
      of subsequent repetition, give their message in a few lines.
      The fact is recognised in Christianity by the Trappists and in
      India yogis impose on themselves long periods of silence, and,
      when abroad, single days at stated periods.

       This need not be taken to mean that even the most serious
      occidentals who follow the urge towards enlightenment should
      abandon speech. In the course of every twenty-four hours one-
      third is already devoted to silence, but they might perhaps
      realise that chatter is not only a hindrance, as has been pointed
      out, but is quite clearly a psychological mechanism of defence
      against progress on that path on the part of the skandha-impulses
      operating in collaboration with the I-concept developed by the
      phenomenal 'individual'. It is neither difficult nor rare to be able
      to observe that mechanism in operation, and in such cases at
      least mental discipline, as it is called, is necessary, though the
      element of discipline should be merely a result, the result of
      understanding and observing that mechanism at work.
      This understanding need in no way hinder communication of
      ideas, of all kinds of interesting observations, of humour, even
      of gossip - for there are sixteen hours available for all that as
      well as for periods of silence. Perhaps there need not even be
      anything so formal as periods of silence, but just an abandonment
      of absolutely superfluous 'gab'?

      gill
      Allspirit Website:
      http://www.allspirit.co.uk

      Mark McCloskey

      I Am (Reflections on the Road)

      I just had the most wonderful life experience of traveling completely
      around the earth on a three week business trip, flying 37,000 miles,
      stopping in 6 countries, meeting scores of new friends, experiencing
      new situations, different cultures, foods, and ideas and yet being able
      to be a still, ever open witness to the miracle of being, the miracle
      of I am.

      You see dear friends, the secret of who you are is "that" you are. This
      "I am" is constant. It is the pure silent consciousness of the here and
      now within you. It is the sameness in you and I and all. It is, because
      it is, and you are, because it is. It is you, it is I and it is one,
      and that is love.

      Speeding 7 miles above the earth, at night, in a floating metal tube,
      at nearly the speed of sound allows one to see glimpses of this truth.
      As the earth moves slowly by below, one cannot see the borders and
      boundaries of countries, the separations of cultures and languages, the
      histories and struggles and stories of billions of peoples and
      traditions. No, one can only see a glimmer of lights glistening
      silently below, each a separate jewel reflecting together as simple
      light-beckoning me above to see this magnificence-to behold the wonder
      as it unfolds: mere light, shining forth in the darkness, and yet each
      light expressing its being and its connection to all, as one. And yet,
      I too, 37,000 feet above. am just another light in this collection of
      splendor, all reflecting the simple fact that "I am" is light itself.

      And when the plane lands in different cities and towns, the
      differences, though seemingly apparent, fade quickly, for the I am
      manifests its sameness through and within the apparent dualities. There
      is but one heart and one light and it is all. Whether in the busy
      cities of New York, Sao Paulo, Frankfurt, Bangkok, Saigon, Guagzhou or
      Hong Kong, or the smaller places like Bucks County, Porto Belo,
      Samutsakorn, Phan Thiet and Shantou, all which appear as separate and
      different become one in a continual echo of "I am" in the eyes of each
      person I meet, each smile that opens itself, each hand shake and each
      hug that warmly beckons to be met in kind. You see my friend, the
      lights which glimmer are mere reflections of the light of oneness
      within each and every heart, the light of sameness which is the gentle
      light of silent love. There is only one self, one heart, one smile in
      all this. This has always been and shall always be. There is only this.

      One does not need to travel the earth to know this. Merely gaze in the
      eyes of your beloved, your friend, your child, your boss, the guy in
      the car next to you on the expressway: it is the exact same statement:
      I am you! With this simple phrase, this simple realization, you can
      know the secret heart of the universe and in that find the joy and
      peace of just this, right here and right now. I am.

      To the world and all the many beautiful friends I have met and known on
      this trip I say: Thank you, Obrigado, Danke, Khawp khun khrap, Cám ón,
      Xie Xie, Doh je. Thank you all for showing me who "I am."

      The most perfect and direct expression of Nonduality is the silence of
      Being. But, since silence is a somewhat ambiguous communication tool,
      we concede grudgingly to the use and proliferation of slightly less
      ambiguous words and concepts.

      --Dennis L. Trunk

      Priyadarshana

      The Dharma-Door of Nonduality

      Then, the Licchavi Vimalakirti asked those bodhisattvas, "Good sirs,
      please explain how the bodhisattvas enter the Dharma-door of
      nonduality!"

      (Many bohisattvas spoke, among them Priyadarshan.)

      The bodhisattva Pratyaksadarsana declared, "'Destructible' and
      'indestructible' are dualistic. What is destroyed is ultimately
      destroyed; hence, it is called 'indestructible.' What is indestructible
      is instantaneous, and what is instantaneous is indestructible. The
      experience of such is called 'the entrance into the principle of
      nonduality.'"

      (Others continued to speak.)

      When the bodhisattvas had given their explanations, they all addressed
      the crown prince Manjusri: "Manjusri, what is the bodhisattva's
      entrance into nonduality?"

      Manjusri replied, "Good sirs, you have all spoken well. Nevertheless,
      all your explanations are themselves dualistic. To know no one
      teaching, to express nothing, to say nothing, to explain nothing, to
      announce nothing, to indicate nothing, and to designate nothing--that
      is the entrance into nonduality."

      Then, the crown prince Manjusri said to the Licchavi Vimalakirti, "We
      have all given our own teachings, noble sir. Now, may you elucidate the
      teaching of the entrance into the principle of nonduality!"

      Thereupon, the Licchavi Vimalakirti kept his silence, saying nothing at
      all.

      The crown prince Manjusri applauded the Licchavi Vimalakirti:
      "Excellent! Exellent, noble sir! This is indeed the entrance into the
      nonduality of the bodhisattvas. Here there is no use for syllables,
      sounds, and ideas.

      When these teaching had been declared, five thousand bodhisattvas
      entered the door of the Dharma of nonduality and attained tolerance of
      the birthlessness of things.

      Thurman notes that this moment is the most famous of this scripture,
      Vimalakirti's moment of silence on the subject of nonduality, i.e., the
      ultimate. He points out the Vimalakirti had spoken about this issue on
      many previous occasions and that his silence here is the appropriate
      silence to the profound contemplation induced by the elucidations of
      the bodhisattvas.

      For about six months Ramana lived in the temple in a trance, maintaining almost complete silence and seemingly oblivious to his physical discomfort.

      "Ramana’s primary teaching was the teaching of the quest for the self. He called this the atma-vicarana, the enquiry into the atman or Self. Between 1900 and 1902, while he was maintaining silence in Virupaksha cave, he wrote out instructions for the disciple Gambhiram Seshayyar. After Seshayyar’s death, these were arranged and published as a book under the title Self-Enquiry. To read Self-Enquiry, click here: http://nonduality.com/ramana3.htm. Here is a brief portion to get your started:

      D: What is meant by saying that one should enquire into one's true nature and understand it?

      M: Experiences such as "I went; I came; I was; I did" come naturally to everyone. From these experiences, does it not appear that the consciousness "I" is the subject of those various acts? Enquiry into the true nature of that consciousness, and remaining as oneself is the way to understand, through enquiry, one's true nature.