#1720 - Wednesday, March 3, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2004
      #1720 - Wednesday, March 3, 2004 - Editor: Jerry
      I wish to thank Gloria, Joyce, Michael and Mark for covering for me while I was on vacation for three weeks. --Jerry

      Questioner: Sri Aurobindo and others refer to you as having had no Guru.

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: It all depends on what you call a Guru. He need not be in a human form. Dattatreya had twenty-four Gurus including the five elements- earth, water, etc. Every object in this world was his Guru.

      The Guru is absolutely necessary. The Upanishads say that none but a Guru can take a man out of the jungle of intellect and sense perceptions. So there must be a Guru.

      Questioner: I mean a human Guru- Maharshi did not have one.

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: I might have had one at one time or other. But did I
      not sing hymns to Arunachala? What is a Guru? Guru is God or the Self.
      First a man prays to God to fulfil his desires. A time comes when he will
      no more pray for the fulfilment of material desires but for God Himself.
      God then appears to him in some form or other, human or non-human, to guide
      him to Himself in answer to his prayer and according to his needs.

      Question: When loyal to one master can you respect others?

      Sri Ramana Maharshi: Guru is only one. He is not physical. So long as there
      is weakness the support of strength is needed.

      Hari Aum !!!

      Existence or Consciousness is the only reality. Consciousness plus
      waking we call waking. Consciousness plus sleep we call sleep.
      Consciousness plus dream, we call dream. Consciousness is the screen
      on which all the pictures come and go. The screen is real, the
      pictures are mere shadows on it.

      (ramana maharshi)

      The state we call realization is simply being oneself, not knowing
      anything or becoming anything. If one has realized, he is that which
      alone is, and which alone has always been. He cannot describe that
      state. He can only be That. Of course we loosely talk of self-
      realization for want of a better term.

      That which 'Is' is peace. All that we need do is to keep quiet. Peace
      is our real nature. We spoil it. What is required is that we cease to
      spoil it.

      (ramana maharshi)

      Having sincere devotion is far greater than being a great scholar
      ONCE during a visit to the Ashram in the 1940s I was sitting outside
      the Old Hall with many devotees, facing Sri Bhagavan who was reclining
      on a couch. A group of learned pundits were discussing certain passages
      from the Upanishads with great enthu-siasm and profundity. All,
      including Bhagavan, appeared to be attentively listening to this
      interesting discussion when, all of a sudden, Bhagavan rose from his
      couch, walked thirty metres to the north, and stood before a villager
      who was standing there looking lowly with palms joined.
      Immediately the discussion stopped and all eyes were turned to Bhagavan
      and the villager standing at a distance. They appeared to be
      conversing, but at such a distance no one could tell about what. Soon
      Bhagavan returned to his couch and the discussion resumed.
      I was curious about this villager and why Bhagavan had gone out of his
      way to meet him. So, while the discussion continued I slipped away and
      caught up with him before he left the Ashram. I asked the villager what
      he and Bhagavan had talked about. He said that Bhagavan had asked him
      why he was standing there so far away. "I told Bhagavan, 'I am only an
      ignorant, poor villager. How am I to approach you who are God
      " What did the Maharshi say then?" I asked.
      " He asked me my name, what village I was from, what work I did and how
      many children I had, etc."
      " Did you ask Him anything?"
      " I asked Him how I could be saved and how I could earn His blessings."
      " What did He tell you?"
      " He asked me if there was a temple in my village. I told him there
      was. He wanted to know the name of the deity of that temple. I told Him
      the name. He then said that I should go on repeating the name of that
      deity and I would receive all the blessings needed."
      I came back to Bhagavan's presence and sat among the devotees listening
      to the learned discussion, in which I had now lost all interest,
      realizing that the simple humility and devotion of this peasant had
      evoked a far greater response from our Master than any amount of
      learning. I then decided that, though a scholar by profession, I should
      always remain a humble, ignorant peasant at heart, and pray, like that
      villager, for Bhagavan's grace and blessings.
      - Prof. K. Swaminathan
      Hari Aum !!!

      Vicki Woodyard
      I would like to have a spirit guide with a little more class but I got
      Larry. He favors loud colors and cliches. Having heard of vision
      quests, I set out on mine when I was in a low point in my inner life. I
      drove out to a piece of clear-cut land right before they built the
      subdivision. The sun was just going down, illuminating the signs
      saying, "Virgin Estates, tract housing at affordable prices." It made
      me squint and then want to throw up. But I stayed with my intention of
      finding a spirit guide.
      I sat for at least fifteen minutes before seeing a cloud of red dirt
      begin whirling in front of me. I grew excited. Was this my answer to
      prayer? Then I looked up and saw Larry...and his stick pony.
      His mullet shone in the orange glow of the acid rain sunset and I knew
      that he was my spirit guide. His cowboy boots were obviously in need of
      new soles and he was bowlegged and runty. It was not without
      apprehension that I said, "Are you my spirit guide?"
      "Yup," he said before spitting out a wad of gum. "I have been sent by
      the Big Boss to guide you to enlightenment and other parts unknown. My
      pony here is called Ruin. I looked at Ruin and was pleased to note that
      his little brown face was honest and friendly. I couldn't say that much
      for Larry. Where had he been all of my life if not at a Rehab for
      Problem Spirits. I was in deep trouble. But hey, I have an optimistic
      streak. At least the Great Spirit had given me....someone.
      Larry has been my spirit guide for all of half an hour. I have high
      hopes for this relationship. I need someone to give me moxie and lots
      of self-approbation. Larry looks like a loser, but what do I know?
      Maybe Ruin is the real guru and Larry is just his apprentice. I like a
      little mystery.
      Flat Broke
      "You have to be flat-broke." Michael Bindel
      I was thirsty and wanted something to drink. I looked around and saw a
      Coke machine and got all excited. I reached into my pockets and found
      that I was flat-broke. Zip. Nada. Unquenchable thirst.
      I walked around the building looking for a drinking fountain and the
      only one I saw said, "out of order." I was becoming more and more
      parched. Damn.
      I wandered outside and felt the sun's heat parching me even further. I
      heard the sound of water, though. The sprinkler system had turned on
      and was watering the lawn in front of the building. I lay down and got
      watered, opening my mouth to the delicious spray.
      You might say I was flat broke and all wet. Not a bad place to be.
      Happy Birthday to Joyce
      Joyce, It's Know Mystery why I'm writing this. You're having a birthday
      today. All of us who post here wish you well. You might have invited us
      over for cake, though. Eric would have written you a poem and Sam would
      have taken your picture. Some of us who post here just hang around nds
      like it's a general store. Today we will sing Happy Birthday when you
      come in.
      Swami Z baked cookies when I told him. He made them look likes stars
      and planets and sprinkled them with silver thingies. (Don't eat them;
      they taste bad). I had hoped he would make a cake, but he's into the
      cookie thing. Pass them around when you have eaten a few.
      Okay, Eric, and whoever is sitting around the stove. Put down yer
      whittlin' and sing.
      "Happy Birthday, dear Joyce, Happy Birthday to you."
      Love, Vicki et al

      Shawn Hair
      cee: the pure consciousness, the self, the guru, is all there is. i was
      thinking that it stopped creating. (what i meant by this is that i
      thought by practice the self would come to know itself and stop making
      illusion) but nothing ever did come out of it, and nothing ever has
      been created.
      nome: if we dream of something "other," there must be some explanation
      for it. so the explanation usually given, including in all the old
      texts and scriptures, is that god, or the supreme self, has created it
      or dreamed it up. the purpose of such explanations, originally, were to
      guide the seeker's mind to the self, to the source, and were not
      intended to give further credence to the thing created. thus,
      instructions to the seeker were, "if there has been creation, if you
      think that is the case, if you think here is where creation has
      started, go to that source." so there are all these explanations.
      usually, the consciousness is thought to be either a lord of all,
      creating, sustaining, and destroying everything, or in some versions,
      being a creator. then, after being a creator, god steps aside and lets
      everybody else take care of it, something like that. or, consciousness
      has created so much within it, and then this play goes on by some
      residual energy of the consciousness, something along these lines.
      all the explanations are originally intended to point one to pure
      consciousness, and not make us think in terms of, "this has actually
      happened." however, as is often the case, people do think in terms of,
      "it is really going on." when we make the inquiry to know who we are,
      we set about looking for a consciousness that is invariable. If it is
      variable, it is only thought modifications. it is not consciousness, itself.
      consciousness is aware of all change, yet
      is unchanging. the characteristic sign of reality, real being, is that
      always is just as it is, without beginning, middle, or end,without
      change. so we make that inquiry experientially, and we come to find our
      iidentity is just the consciousness. we find that the reality is,
      indeed, the consciousness. then the question arises, "if the
      consciousness is ever the same, if the real self is ever the same, how
      has any of this ever come to be?" the question resolves itself further
      into, "has it come to be? " we need a "how" if it is really there. we
      do not require a reason why or an explanation of how the snake came to
      be in a rope, or how the water came to be in the mirage. the whole
      point is that there is no water. there is no snake.
      likewise is it with the whole creation. how it comes to be experienced
      is based upon the idea that it is experienced. when we inquire and come
      to know the reality, we find that it did not arise, and it will not
      arise in the future. it did not happen. it is not going to happen. so
      much so is this the case, that while in deep meditation, all
      objectified experience may cease even at its own level. should it not
      cease, it is still not created. it does not have to go away because it
      is not there to begin with. do you see what I mean?
      cee: yes. it's really great because it's not like there is an ego to
      kill, there's not something to get rid of, it was never really there.
      nome: if there is an ego, one should kill it!
      cee: yes! (laughter)
      nome: however, the best way to kill it is to find it. o.k? Before you
      first decide to cook it, you first have to catch it. you have to find
      it. when we make that inquiry to find it, the more we inquire, the less
      we see of it. first we eliminate the tracks it leaves behind, the
      actions, the "i am the body," ideas, and so forth and so on. then we
      eliminate its thoughts. We want to get right down to what the ego,
      itself, is. if we hold on to the ego-i, its i-ness disappears and only
      an "I-less-I" remains. Maharshi has said, "if we penetrate into the
      heart of the ego, only the self is there. "there being only one "i"
      --that is why he said so. so, if there is an ego, hunt it down, and
      slay it. of course, in the process of hunting it down, your aim is to
      destroy it, but when you hunt it down you will find that there is
      nothing there to be destroyed. again, that is why it is called maya. in
      all the old scriptures, it is said, "it is impossible to explain, maya.
      it is without beginning." most people think that means that it has been
      around for a long time! --but t means that it is without beginning. It
      did not start! (Laughter) that is why it is maya. it did not start.
      however, if you think it is there, then it seems to have been going on
      for a long time, much like when you start to dream, you feel that the
      dream world has been going on for a long time, even though it is all in
      your mind. it is like that with the present illusion. it seems like it
      has been there, but really it has never been there. we decide to
      inquire to know the truth, and when we finally get a good grasp of what
      this illusion is,--there is no illusion there.there is nothing to it.
      it is like reaching out and grabbing that snake and finding it is just
      the rope. nevertheless, you had to bring the light in to make the
      motion to see it for yourself.

      Having a sangha is like having a family.
      You have an uncle Albert who is cranky.
      You have your brother and your sister,
      and they are a little unpredictable
      in terms of their emotional stability
      under stress. Your father sometimes
      drinks a little too much, and says things
      he regrets. Your mother gets upset about
      your father.
      All this notwithstanding, you do not
      complicate yourself by attempting to
      trade them in for a better less
      dysfunctional family. You are simply
      stuck with them because they are your family.
      You have to deal with them as they are. If they
      really are your family —if you really are
      related —then you simply deal with whatever arises.
      You simply have no other choice. You know you are
      never going to get another family,
      this is your family – and that is simple.
      (Khandro Dechen)