#1700 - Friday, February 6, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8 12:28 PM

      #1700 - Friday, February 6, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      METTA

      "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle".
      - Philo of Alexandria, 20BC - 40 AD

      Do not think lightly of good, that nothing will come of it.
       A whole water pot will fill up from dripping drops of water.
       - Dhammapada v 122

      The Buddha taught lay people the virtue of making the
      "seven offerings that cost nothing":... a compassionate eye,
      a smiling face, loving words, physical service, a warm heart,
      a seat, and lodging.
      — Jiko Kohno in Right View, Right Life

      To act courteously and selflessly, to put the needs of others
      before our own, is to live with the compassion that blooms from
      true spiritual practice.  — Philip Toshio Sudo in Zen 24/7

      The major block to compassion is the judgment in our minds.
      Judgment is the mind's primary tool of separation.
      — Diane Berke in The Gentle Smile

      Our lack of compassion stems from our inability
      to see deeply into the nature of things.
       - Kenneth S. Leong in The Zen Teachings of Jesus

      Kindness trumps greed: it asks for sharing.
      Kindness trumps fear: it calls forth gratefulness and love.
      Kindness trumps even stupidity, for with sharing and love, one learns.
      - Marc Estrin quoted in Prayers for a Thousand Years

      The kindnesses of others fertilize our soul, they become a part of
      who we are, and we carry them and their love. We feel this
      when people die, how their gifts remain alive in us.
      - Wayne Muller in  How, Then, Shall We Live?

      In the practice of "contemplation,"
      One contemplates that originally,
      The mind of ignorance is
      Identical with Dharma-nature.
      As such at its base,
      It is fundamentally empty.
      The entire range of
      Good and evil deeds that proceed
      From deluded thinking
      Is like empty space.
      These two practices are
      Utterly non-dual.
      They are not distinct from one another.

      - Zhiyi (538-597)

      This hermitage was here first
      Only then, the world.
      When the world crumbles,
      This hermitage will not be destroyed.
      The host inside the hermitage
      Is present everywhere.
      The moon shines on the eternal void;
      The wind whistles through
      Ten thousand openings.

      - Shiwu (1347)

      All the holy ones have turned within and sought the  self, and by
      this went beyond all doubt. To turn within means all the 24
      hours and in every situation, to pierce one by one through the
      layers covering the self, deeper and deeper, to a place that
      cannot be described. It is  when thinking comes to an end and
      making distinctions ceases, when wrong views and ideas
      disappear of  themselves without having to be driven forth, when
      without being sought the true action and the true impulse
      appear of themselves. It is when one can know the truth of the
      heart.

      - Daikaku (1213-1279)

      quotes from  www.dailyzen.com

      What the Buddha said about metta

       Bhikkhus, whatever kinds of worldly merit there are, all
      are not worth one 16th part of the release of mind by
      universal friendliness; in shining, glowing, beaming &
      radiance the release of mind by universal friendliness
      far excels & surpasses them all. -
      Itivuttaka 27

      As a mother even with own life protects her only child,
      so should one cultivate immeasurable loving-kindness
      towards all living beings.  -
      The Metta Sutta

      He who both day and night takes delight in
      harmlessness sharing love with all that live, finds
      enmity with none.  - Samyutta Nikaya. I, 208

      http://www.wildmind.org/meditation/metta/intro_whatbuddhasaid.html

      Cherishing and caring for others is the source of all happiness.
      Cherishing ourselves over others, is the source of all suffering
      and negative conditions.  - Shantideva

      See link for a list of "organizations who are working diligently to
      end the suffering of living beings and create a healthy, peaceful
      world. This is an excellent way to Cherish Others! "

      Daily Dharma

      "Let your love flow outward through the universe,
      To its height, its depth, its broad extent,
      A limitless love, without hatred or enmity.
      Then as you stand or walk,
      Sit or lie down,
      As long as you are awake,
      Strive for this with a one-pointed mind;
      Your life will bring heaven to earth."
      ~Buddha

      From the website,
      "
      http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/resources/buddhistquotes.html"

      Al Larus photo

      Ben Hassine ~ Awakened Awareness

      [Click to hear chant sung as you read translation.]

      Metta is a Pali word meaning loving-kindness. Metta chanting is the radiation of loving-kindness towards all beings: May they all be happy and peaceful. Imee Ooi chants the Pali beautifully. Metta chanting is soothing, uplifting, joyful and a great healing for the world - pervading it with waves of love. Truly, may all beings be happy. May they live always in peace and harmony.

      The Chant of Metta Text

      Aham avero homi
      May I be free from enmity and danger

      abyapajjho homi
      May I be free from mental suffering

      anigha homi
      May I be free from physical suffering

      sukhi - attanam pariharami
      May I take care of myself happily

      Mama matapitu
      May my parents

      acariya ca natimitta ca
      teacher relatives and friends

      sabrahma - carino ca
      fellow Dhamma farers

      avera hontu
      be free from enmity and danger

      abyapajjha hontu
      be free from mental suffering

      anigha hontu
      be free from physical suffering

      sukhi - attanam pariharantu
      may they take care of themselves happily

      Imasmim arame sabbe yogino
      May all meditators in this compound

      avera hontu
      be free from enmity and danger

      abyapajjha hontu
      be free from mental suffering

      anigha hontu
      be free from physical suffering

      sukhi - attanam pariharantu
      May they take care of themselves happily

      Imasmim arame sabbe bhikkhu
      May all monks in this compound

      samanera ca
      novice monks

      upasaka - upasikaya ca
      laymen and laywomen disciples

      avera hontu
      be free from enmity and danger

      abyapajjha hontu
      be free from mental suffering

      anigha hontu
      be free from physical suffering

      sukhi - attanam pariharantu
      May they take care of themselves happily

      Amhakam catupaccaya - dayaka
      May our donors of the four supports: clothing, food, medicine and lodging

      avera hontu
      be free from enmity and danger

      abyapajjha hontu
      be free from mental suffering

      anigha hontu
      be free from physical suffering

      sukhi - attanam pariharantu
      May they take care of themselves happily

      Amhakam arakkha devata
      May our guardian devas

      Ismasmim vihare
      in this monastery

      Ismasmim avase
      in this dwelling

      Ismasmim arame
      in this compound

      arakkha devata
      May the guardian devas

      avera hontu
      be free from enmity and danger

      abyapajjha hontu
      be free from mental suffering

      anigha hontu
      be free from physical suffering

      sukhi - attanam pariharantu
      may they take care of themselves happily

      Sabbe satta
      May all beings

      sabbe pana
      all breathing things

      sabbe bhutta
      all creatures

      sabbe puggala
      all individuals (all beings)

      sabbe attabhava - pariyapanna
      all personalities (all beings with mind and body)

      sabbe itthoyo
      may all females

      sabbe purisa
      all males

      sabbe ariya
      all noble ones (saints)

      sabbe anariya
      all worldlings (those yet to attain sainthood)

      sabbe deva
      all devas (deities)

      sabbe manussa
      all humans

      sabbe vinipatika
      all those in the four woeful planes

      avera hontu
      be free from enmity and dangers

      abyapajjha hontu
      be free from mental suffering

      anigha hontu
      be free from physical suffering
      sukhi - attanam pariharantu
      may they take care of themselves happily

      Dukkha muccantu
      May all being be free from suffering

      Yattha-laddha-sampattito mavigacchantu
      May whatever they have gained not be lost

      Kammassaka
      All beings are owners of their own Kamma

      Purathimaya disaya
      in the eastern direction

      pacchimaya disaya
      in the western direction

      uttara disaya
      in the northern direction

      dakkhinaya disaya
      in the southern direction

      purathimaya anudisaya
      in the southeast direction

      pacchimaya anudisaya
      in the northwest direction

      uttara anudisaya
      in the northeast direction

      dakkhinaya anudisaya
      in the southwest direction

      hetthimaya disaya
      in the direction below

      uparimaya disaya
      in the direction above

      Sabbe satta
      May all beings

      sabbe pana
      all breathing things

      sabbe bhutta
      all creatures

      sabbe puggala
      all individuals (all beings)

      sabbe attabhava - pariyapanna
      all personalities (all beings with mind and body)

      sabbe itthoyo
      may all females

      sabbe purisa
      all males

      sabbe ariya
      all noble ones (saints)

      sabbe anariya
      (those yet to attain sainthood)

      sabbe deva
      all devas (deities)

      sabbe manussa
      all humans

      sabbe vinipatika
      all those in the 4 woeful planes

      avera hontu
      be free from enmity and dangers

      abyapajjha hontu
      be free from mental suffering

      anigha hontu
      be free from physical suffering

      sukhi - attanam pariharantu
      may they take care of themselves happily

      Dukkha muccantu
      May all beings be free from suffering

      Yattha-laddha-sampattito mavigacchantu
      May whatever they have gained not be lost

      Kammassaka
      All beings are owners of their own kamma

      Uddham yava bhavagga ca
      As far as the highest plane of existence

      adho yava aviccito
      to as far down as the lowest plane

      samanta cakkavalesu
      in the entire universe

      ye satta pathavicara
      whatever beings that move on earth

      abyapajjha nivera ca
      may they are free of mental suffering and enmity

      nidukkha ca nupaddava
      and from physical suffering and danger

      Uddham yava bhavagga ca
      As far as the highest plane of existence

      adho yava aviccito
      to as far down as the lowest plane

      samanta cakkavalesu
      in the entire universe

      ye satta udakecara
      whatever beings that move on water

      abyapajjha nivera ca
      may they are free of mental suffering and enmity

      nidukkha ca nupaddava
      and from physical suffering and danger

      Uddham yava bhavagga ca
      As far as the highest plane of existence

      adho yava aviccito
      to as far down as the lowest plane

      samanta cakkavalesu
      in the entire universe