#1690 - Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      #1690 - Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      There is no journey.
      There is no destination.
      You are already here.

       -leonard jacobson-

      from Nonduality Beagle: The Varieties of Canine Nondual Expression

      Daily Dharma

      "Ah, fortunate sons and disciples gathered here,
      This body of ours is impermanent like a feather on a high mountain
      pass,
      This mind of ours is empty and clear like the depth of space.
      Relax in that natural state, free of fabrication.
      When mind is without any support, that is Mahamudra.
      Becoming familiar with this, blend your mind with it--
      That is Buddhahood."

      ~ Machig Labdron

      From the book, "Machig Labron and the Foundations of Chod," published
      by Snow Lion Publications.

      A small noisy room

      "Dear Soen Sa Nim,

      Three days ago I started a new job.  I work with three women in a
      small room with no windows.  Usually there is no work for more than
      two of the four of us.  All day long they talk: they talk about sex,
      desires, angers.  All day long the radio plays loud music about love
      and suffering.

      Often I find the atmosphere - the 'way it is' there - depressing.  My
      bodhisattva mind keeps getting lost in fear and anger.  The money is
      useful right now, but I fear becoming suffering.  Some friends of
      mine are now making a lot of money.  I think often, 'What do I do in
      this life?'  I feel I waste myself at jobs like this one.  Buddhist
      pratice has almost literally saved my life.  I know the thoughts and
      feelings I experience are not my true self but are just coming and
      going, coming and going, Still, blue is blue, fear is fear, desire is
      desire.  What should I do in this situation?

      Thankyou,
      Michael"

      "Dear Michael,

      Thank you for your wonderful letter.  How are you?  You say 'No
      windows... working with three women ... all day long they talk of
      sex, desire, and anger.'  This situation is your best teacher.  It is
      better than a Zen master, better than the sutras, better than the
      Bible.  If you hold on to the actions of these women, then you will
      become a demon.  But if you don't hold on to their actions by judging
      or giving in to them, then their moment-to-moment actions will make
      you wise.

      An eminent teacher said, 'Wisdom is ignorance; igorance is wisdom.'
      This means, how do you keep a just-now mind?  Checking your mind is
      ignorance.  If you don't check your mind, then you can see, you can
      hear, you can smell - all things, just like this, are the truth.
      Then not only sex, desire, and anger, but also a dog barking, a
      chicken crowing - everything is the correct Dharma.

      For example, when you go to the movies to see a comedy, your mind and
      everone else's mind is laughing.  When the film is sad, your mind is
      sad.  At that time, if you don't check your mind, then your mind does
      not move.  Then funny is just funny, sad is sad, good is good, bad is
      bad.  Everyhing appears clearly.  That is correct wisdom.  If you can
      find correct wisdom, your mind will already be clear like space.
      then, moment to moment, reflected action is possible.

      The whole world is like a theater.  If you don't check your mind and
      don't check your feelings, then everything is the sutras and the
      Bible.  A small room with no windows is OK.  Talking about sex,
      desire, and anger is OK.  You will only ask, 'How can I help them?'
      This is reflected action; this is the action of a bodhisattva who
      always has great love and great sadness for all beings.

      I hope that you put it all down and don't check anything.  Only go
      straight - don't-know.  Then your don't-know mind will become clear,
      and in any situation reflected action is then possible.  Then you can
      finish the great work of life and death and save all people from
      suffering.

      Yours in the Dharma,
      SS"

      Petros Truth

      "It is absurd to say that the world is unreal so long as we ourselves
      believe that we (as the ego) are real. Only one who has seen the unreality
      of the ego can see the unreality of the world."

      -- Ramakrishna

      www.ewakening.net

      Michael L.
      I Am

      David Godman has just posted
      the first part of a new translation
      of the Garland of Guru's
      (Sri Ramana Maharshi's) Sayings,
      (Guru Vachaka Kovai) on his web site.

      The rest of the translation
      will be posted in a few weeks.

      The Garland of Guru's sayings
      is my favorite source of
      Sri Ramana's teachings
      and it is the only source
      I read these days.

      You can read this new translation
      by clicking this link:

      http://davidgodman.org

      after clicking that link,
      look upper left under "NEW ON THIS SITE"
      and then click "Guru Vachaka Kovai".

      Take care,

      with Love,

      Michael L.

      R.K. Shankar
      I Am

      Self-Knowing 5-line Verse 2
      (original translation from Tamil)

      Because, only the thought, 'This flesh-filled-body alone am I',
      is 'the one thread sustaining the many thoughts',
      if (you) go inside (seeking), "Which is the 'I-originating-place'?",
      with the thoughts disappearing, as "I-I", in the cave (of the Heart, that is
      the 'vessel',
      for melting the five types of the 'metals' of sensual impressions),
      of its own (accord), will shine, the Self-Knowledge!; this is, Silence!;
      (this is,) Abiding-with-Life!; (this is,) the Abode-of-Bliss!

      Hey!  (It is) Very easy - Self-knowing
      Hey! (It is) Very easy.

      Parrot's oratory stuns scientists. The finding of a parrot with an almost unparalleled power to communicate with people has brought scientists up short. The bird, a captive African grey called N'kisi, has a vocabulary of 950 words, and shows signs of a sense of humour.

      He invents his own words and phrases if he is confronted with novel ideas with which his existing repertoire cannot cope - just as a human child would do.

      N'kisi's remarkable abilities, which are said to include telepathy, feature in the latest BBC Wildlife Magazine.

      Read more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3430481.stm

      from The Times of India

      The World is What We Think it is

      Vinayak Lohani

      Since ages we have been witness to an incessant face-off between faith
      and logic. European enlightenment exposed certain flaws in blind faith
      and ushered in an era of rationality, and logic became the dominant
      paradigm.

      Metaphysics walks a tightrope between rationality and faith and it is
      here that the dissension between the two is sometimes at its peak.

      Oriental metaphysical thought like the Advaita Vedanta are expounded on
      as rational a ground as metaphysics could ever be.

      But at a certain point they have to forsake logic due to its inherent
      limitations and enter a realm where tools of logic are no longer
      applicable and things have to be taken on faith.

      To understand these limitations, we have to first understand the nature
      and mechanism of logic.

      Logic is a continuous build-up, a rearrangement of certain propositions
      whi-ch are known as elementary or object-propositions. These
      propositions, which we call 'facts', are based on direct perceptual
      know-ledge or empiricism.

      These elementary building blocks of the logical process hinge upon the
      validity of human perception and are limited by the latter's scope and
      validity.

      That's why theories such as the geocentric theory or even Newtonian
      mechanics that were once accepted as empirical truths, were later
      discarded when such perceptions were invali-dated in light of newer
      revelations of modern science.

      Amongst western logicians it was Ludwig Wittgenstein, the Austrian
      philosopher who came nearest to proving the futility of all logical
      speculations to attain the Supreme Truth.

      In his seminal work Tractatus Logicus Philosophicus Wittgenstein argued
      that logic is always conveyed through the instrument of language which
      itself is based upon direct human perception.

      Language by its very definition is based upon the collective
      consciousness of all human beings, and is not drawn from perceptions
      particular to an individual.

      To read the rest of this article please visit http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/444700.cms

      Five sayings that I keep on my Outlook Express at all times, adding gems when I find them ~M

          Are you worried?  Do you have many "what if" thoughts?
      You are identified with your mind, which is projecting
      itself into an imaginary future situation and creating fear.
      There is no way that you can cope with such a situation,
      because it doesn't exist.  It's a mental phantom.

                                                  ---Eckhart Tolle

          As water is serene when free of ripples, so
      is the mind serene when free of thought,
      when it is passive and fully receptive.
      When quiet, the mind reflects Reality.
      When absolutely motionless, it dissolves
      and only Reality remains.

                                                  ---Ramesh S. Balsekar

          Why are you so afraid of silence?
      Silence is the root of everything.
      If you spiral into its void
      a hundred voices will thunder messages
      you long to hear.

                                                  ---Rumi

          Whereas before you dwelt in time and paid
      brief visits to the Now, have your dwelling
      place in the Now and pay brief visits to past
      and future when required to deal with the
      practical aspects of your life situation.

                                                  ---Eckhart Tolle

          Under whatever name and form one may
      worship the Absolute Reality, it would only
      be a means for realizing that Perfect Being
      without name and form. That alone is true
      realization, wherein one knows one's true
      being in relation to that Reality, and realizes
      one's identity with It by being absorbed into It.

                                                  ---Ramana Maharishi

      You need nothing except to be what you are.
      - nisargadatta maharaj -