#1688 - Sunday, January 25, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2004
      #1688 - Sunday, January 25, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Manual of Ink-Bamboo
      Wu Chen (1280-1354) dated 1350
      Ink on paper

      And when That is seen in its
      Immanence and transcendence
      Then the ties that have bound the
      Heart are loosened, the doubts
      Of the mind vanish, and the law
      Of karma works no more.

      - Mundaka Upanishad

      Don’t be surprised,
      Don’t be startled;
      All things will arrange
      Themselves.
      Don’t cause a disturbance,
      Don’t exert pressure;
      All things will clarify
      Themselves.

      - Huai-nan-tzu

      Those who are known
      As Real People
      Are united in essence
      With the Way,
      So they have endowments yet
      Appear to have none;
      They are full yet
      Appear to be empty.
      They govern the inside,
      Not the outside.
      Clear and pure, utterly plain,
      They do not contrive
      Artificialities but return
      To simplicity.

      - Lao tzu

      Quotes from: http://www.dailyzen.com/

      Harsha ~ HarshaSatsangh

      Sahaj in sanksrit means easy and natural.

      Sri Ramana used to say that what is Sahaj for the
      Siddha is the practice of the Sadhaka.

      There is saying in Hindi, "Sahaj pake so meetha hoy."

      It means that easy and natural baking leads to
      sweetness.

      Probably something like the English saying that soup
      that simmers slowly tastes best in the end.

      The title of an OSHO book is "Grass grows by itself".
      Easy and natural is the way. Everything else makes it
      appear that somewhere other than where you already are
      is more attractive.

      Lahiri Mahasya used to say, "Banat Banat ban Jaye"
      which has a similar meaning..."happening, happening,
      happened."

      All of these sayings, "You are the doer", "You are not
      the doer" might have some meaning to someone at some
      point in time. All are concepts only for the mind to
      struggle with.

      To be easy and natural is, well, it is to be easy and
      natural and it is best because it is easy and natural.
      What is not easy and natural will produce inner
      conflicts. We already have enough of those. Of course
      for some people making more conflicts may be easy and
      natural. In that case go for it!

      Being easy and natural in awareness allows for the
      recognition of the Self, which by its very nature is
      easy being, natural, and wholeness of awareness aware
      of itself as its own ananda. There is no good way to
      express it.

      My teacher (who was a monk for 29 years) once told me
      that as a young monk he was very very strict with
      himself. "Sometimes, too much judgment and discipline
      can be a form of violence with oneself." he told me.
      Another time when we were talking about gurus, I
      mentioned many names. He knew most of them personally
      (Krishamurti, Muktaananda, Chinmoy, Rajneesh,
      Chiddananda, Swami Rama, Swami Satchintananda, etc.).
      Those he liked, he would only say, "He is a good man."

      Finally, my teacher said to me, "You should never
      follow a guru." I looked at him puzzled (because he
      was my guru, you see). He smiled and said in his thick
      Bombay Indian accent, "What if the guru goes crazy and
      tells you to do strange and crazy and weird things..."
      I had a good laugh! He added, "that does happen you
      know....".  I laughed even harder. Well, it does
      happen you know.

      As Sri Ramana never tired of saying,... the only true
      guru is your Heart, your own Self.

      So wise sages tell the advanced aspirants to be
      natural. Make the effort, if natural. Follow a
      teaching if it is easy and makes sense. If something
      makes no sense, there is no point in following it. So
      what if it is considered the supreme teaching and so
      on by someone well known and supreme. For all you
      know, what the supreme and well known people say could
      all be crap. Think about it. What do they really know.
      What can anyone really and truly know?

      So rest, if it feels natural to rest, watch the
      spiritual parade pass by and not be moved by any
      teaching. Or join the parade and sing your song. Your
      nature will make you act in a certain way. That is why
      you can be at ease.

      Self-remembrance, Awareness aware of itself,
      Self-abidance, all of these mean the same.

      Easy and natural is one being aware of the innate
      wakefulness through the winds of emotions, colors, and
      change.

      To the extent one can grasp it, simply remain aware
      and if you become conscious of some intangible cloud
      of unknowing which you cannot go through, become
      comfortable with it, stay with it, and breath it in
      and out.

      Love to all
      Harsha

      Joyce, know_mystery ~ Deep Well

      The Man Watching

      I can tell by the way the trees beat, after
      so many dull days, on my worried windowpanes
      that a storm is coming,
      and I hear the far-off fields say things
      I can't bear without a friend,
      I can't love without a sister

      The storm, the shifter of shapes, drives on
      across the woods and across time,
      and the world looks as if it had no age:
      the landscape like a line in the psalm book,
      is seriousness and weight and eternity.

      What we choose to fight is so tiny!
      What fights us is so great!
      If only we would let ourselves be dominated
      as things do by some immense storm,
      we would become strong too, and not need names.

      When we win it's with small things,
      and the triumph itself makes us small.
      What is extraordinary and eternal
      does not want to be bent by us.
      I mean the Angel who appeared
      to the wrestlers of the Old Testament:
      when the wrestler's sinews
      grew long like metal strings,
      he felt them under his fingers
      like chords of deep music.

      Whoever was beaten by this Angel
      (who often simply declined the fight)
      went away proud and strengthened
      and great from that harsh hand,
      that kneaded him as if to change his shape.
      Winning does not tempt that man.
      This is how he grows: by being defeated, decisively,
      by constantly greater beings.

      ~  Rainer Maria Rilke  ~

      Daily Dharma

      Good morning, dears!  The teaching, "Thinking About Not Thinking," by a
      Western Zen Master had so much good stuff in it, i  had a hard time
      choosing an excerpt for this morning's quote. If you get a chance to
      read the whole teaching, i hope it will be beneficial to you - yes, it's
      not very long. ,^)) love to all, dharma grandmother

      "But our thoughts and stories have never been how we were really able to
      actually live: to see and hear and cook and eat and stand up and sit
      down.

      "Whatever you or I think about anything is inconsequential. It means
      nothing about who we are or what is actually going on.

      "So what is going on here? Are you feeling your breath, your hands, your
      feet? Are you seeing the colours, the depth of the space in front of you
      and to the side, above and below? Are you hearing the sounds, the sound
      of (present sound) of your breath, the breathing of the person next to
      you? Are you feeling the temperature of the air on your skin?

      "Thoughts rise and fall and come and go just like the breath comes and
      goes. We don't need to try to stop thinking in order to practice. We
      just need to allow ourselves to recognize that the world is unthinkable.
      That who we are is beyond thought and cannot be captured in the web of
      our same old stories."

      ~Ven. Jinmyo Renge osho

      From the article, "Thinking About Not-Thinking,"
      from the White Wind Zen Community.
      http://www.wwzc.org/dharmaTalks/notThinking.htm

      ~ ~ ~

      LOL..  i don't know, this just struck me as very funny. Maybe it will
      bring a smile to you, too.
      A friend of mine, who knows nothing about Buddhism, just sent me, in all
      seriousness, this quote in an e-mail. i think Carl Sagan was serious too
      which makes it even funnier - or maybe more profound. Or maybe it was
      the fermented grape juice cookie Mr. Raccoon gave me tonight. ,^)) love,
      dg

      ~~~~

      Hi Amrita,

      I am reading the book, "Contact," by Carl Sagan, and here's a Q & A
      taken from the book that might interest you.

      Q: "Do Buddhists believe in God or not?"

      A: "Their position seems to be that God is so great he doesn't even have
      to exist."

      Mazie Lane ~ Adyashanti Satsang

      Wisdom from the Simpsons

      Homer: How can we be soulmates Marge, when you like Mantovani and I like Monty Hall? How can we be spirit-twins when you like Itchy and I like Scratchy? How can we be one heart when you like Slim Fast and I like Duff beer? Marge, how can we be Best Friends when you like Reverend Lovejoy and I like rubber doll toys?

      Marge: Homer, our differences are only skin-deep.

      Homer: Oh yeah, you're right, but our sames go clear to the bone.

      Viorica Weissman ~ MillionPaths

      Oceans
      By Juan Ramon Jimenez

      I have a feeling that my boat
      Has struck, down there in the depths,
      Against a great thing.

      And nothing happens!
      Nothing…Silence…Waves…
      --Nothing happens?
      Or has everything Happened,
      And are we standing now, quietly, in the new life?

      Typed from The Second Krishnamurti Reader, Edited by Mary Lutyens, chapter "The Heart and the Mind", pages 249 - 252

      THE HEART AND THE MIND

      Questioner: This division is not only in the mind. It is even stronger in the feelings. The Muslims and Hindus do not think themselves separate, they feel themselves separate, and it is this feeling that actually makes them separate and makes them destroy each other.

      Krishnamurti: Exactly: the thinking and the feeling are one; they have been one from the beginning and that is exactly what we are saying. So our problem is not the integration of the different fragments but the understanding of this mind and heart which are one. Our problem is not how to get rid of classes or how to build better utopias or breed better political leaders or new religious teachers. Our problem is the mind. To come to this point not theoretically but to see it actually is the highest form of intelligence. For then you do not belong to any class or religious group; then you are not a Muslim, a Hindu, a Jew or a Christian. So we now have only one issue: why does the mind of man divide? It not only divides its own functions into feelings and thoughts, but separates itself as the 'I' from the 'you' and the 'we' from the 'they'. The mind and the heart are one. Don't let us forget it. Remember it when we use the word 'mind'.
      So our problem is why does the mind divide?

      Questioner: Yes.

      Krishnamurti: The mind is thought. All the activity of thought is separation, fragmentation. Thought is the response of memory which is the brain. The brain must respond when it sees a danger. This is intelligence, but the same brain has somehow been conditioned not to see the danger of division. Its actions are valid and necessary when they deal with facts. Equally, it will act when it sees the fact that division and fragmentation are dangerous to it. This is not an idea or an ideology or a principle or a concept -- all of which are idiotic and separative; it is a fact. To see danger the mind has to be very alert and awake, all of it, not just a segment of it.

      Questioner: How is it possible to keep the whole brain awake?

      Krishnamurti: As we said, there is no 'how' but only seeing the danger, that is the whole point. The seeing is not the result of propaganda or conditioning; the seeing is with the whole brain. When the brain is completely awake then the mind becomes quiet. When the brain is completely awake, there is no fragmentation, no separation, no duality. The quality of this quietness is of the highest importance. You can make the mind quiet by drugs and all kinds of tricks but such deceptions breed various other forms of illusion and contradiction. This quietness is the highest form of intelligence which is never personal or impersonal, never yours or mine. Being anonymous, it is whole and immaculate. It defies description for it has no quality. This is awareness, this is attention, this is love, this is the highest. The brain must be completely awake, that's all. As the man in the jungle must keep terribly awake to survive, so the man in the jungle of the world must keep terribly awake to live completely.

      Viorica Weissman ~ MillionPaths

      Ramana Maharshi & J. Krishnamurti - Illusion of Difference

      excerpt:

      In fact, both teachings give rise to similar confusions for inquirers. Both Ramana Maharshi and Krishnamurti state that transformation, in the sense of having a true perception of who we really are, can be attained now, yet both point to practices that seem to involve time.

      It is my contention that this is a paradox that one has to unravel for oneself, for it is in the very unravelling of the paradox that we gain an insight into the logical difficulties of attempting to understand that which is beyond the intellect with the intellect. Also, to attempt to explain it intellectually would be to shy away from the real inquiry.

      In this view one can see the significance of the Zen koan whose sole purpose is to frustrate the intellect into surrender with its maddening verbal play and so allow the mind to see its real nature.

      http://users..iafrica.com/n/no/noumenon/autumn95.htm