#1685 - Thursday, January 22, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2004
      #1685 - Thursday, January 22, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      Daily Dharma

      "Much of your pain is self-chosen.
      It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your
      sick self.

      "Therefore, trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and
      tranquility; for his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the
      tender hand of the Unseen.  And the cup he brings, though it burn your
      lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with
      His own sacred lips."

      ~Gibran

      From the book, "The Prophet," published by Knopf.

      The Other Syntax

      Four Stages of Intent

         "I have described to you, in many ways, the different stages a
      warrior passes through along the path of knowledge," he went on.  "In
      terms of his connection with intent, a warrior goes through four
      stages.  The first is when he has a rusty, untrustworthy link with
      intent.  The second is when he succeeds in cleaning it.  The third is
      when he learns to manipulate it.  And the fourth is when he learns to
      accept the designs of the abstract."

      The Two One-Way Bridges
      THE POWER OF SILENCE
      Carlos Castaneda

      In Search of 'Dark Matter'

      Most of the matter in the universe is missing, and scientists are eager
      to find it. In 1932, when they began studying how stars behaved within
      galaxies, astronomers found too few stars to account for the
      gravitational pull necessary to keep a galaxy together. Something
      unseen--termed "dark matter"--had to account for the missing mass, and
      there had to be a lot of it. Most experts now estimate that 90 percent
      of the universe is comprised of this elusive stuff.

      "Dark matter" has escaped detection because it does not emit enough
      electromagnetic radiation--perhaps none at all. At first, scientists
      inferred its existence by measuring its gravitational effects on nearby
      stars and galaxies. But in 2000, scientists found evidence of
      "cosmological shear," a phenomenon in which light from distant objects
      bends under matter's gravitational pull.

      Dark matter may be dying stars, brown dwarfs (objects nearly as large
      as stars), or vast clouds of neutrinos--fundamental particles that are
      very difficult to detect. One of the strongest candidates is the
      hypothetical WIMP, or Weakly Interacting Massive Particle, perhaps 50
      times heavier than a proton. Once dark matter is identified, the task
      of determining how much exists would begin.

      Some scientists believe there may not be enough dark matter to halt the
      universe's ever-accelerating expansion, and as stars burn off their
      fuel (in about 10 trillion years), the universe will grow cold and
      dark. Conversely, there may be enough dark matter to tip gravity's
      scales, and start the universe on the road toward a "Big Crunch"--in
      about 50 billion years--with everything contracting back into a cosmic
      singularity similar to how the universe started.

      Were a Big Crunch to occur, the resulting singularity could produce
      another Big Bang. This hypothesis--of a universe that oscillates
      between expansion and contraction--mirrors the creation myths found in
      Hinduism's ancient Puranic texts. Perhaps their anonymous authors, who
      presciently placed the age of the universe in the billions of years,
      knew something we don't.

      from Science Fiction Book Club: http://www.sfbc.com

      Roy Whenary
      from The Texture of Being

      TEACHERS & ENLIGHTENMENT

      When we are living in confusion, in suffering, in the ego, it seems
      natural to deify or look up to those who appear to have all the
      answers, who appear to be very spiritual - the gurus and teachers of
      this world. Of course, they are a real and valuable asset to society
      and the evolution of mankind, but we put them on a pedestal at our
      peril.

      It may be true that someone who is widely regarded as being an
      ‘enlightened master’ has great clarity about life and, in many
      respects, may appear to be light years ahead of everyone else, but in
      essence his true nature and our true nature are no different. The
      person may be different, the energy may be different - but essentially
      what he is we are also, except that he is conscious of it and we are
      not. His body will die and his mind will go, just as will happen with
      our body and mind. He, as an individual, can no more escape death than
      we can - except that we would like to and he is not bothered.

      A truly ‘enlightened’ master will never tell you that he is great or
      that he is enlightened. He will never tell you that he alone can
      realize the ultimate, that he is a perfect master or avatar, whilst you
      are an ordinary human being. There are people who will tell you these
      things, who will make enlightenment out to be something exclusive.
      There are people who will put themselves on a pedestal and encourage
      you to bow down before them, to serve them, to idolize them. The world
      is not short of a good supply of such ‘teachers’. But do these
      ‘teachers’ encourage you to awaken inwardly to the point where you
      don’t need them anymore?

      When one goes with such a teacher, one instantly gives away one’s
      power, one’s autonomy, and one becomes dependent on their grace, on
      their goodwill, on their method of teaching. Of course, such teachers
      do offer a refuge, a support and advice for those who, for whatever
      reason, do not wish, or are not able, to take decisions or
      responsibilities for themselves in this life. But if one is seeking
      ‘enlightenment’, it is better to go to a teacher who does not have
      pretensions about his or her status in life. It is better to go to
      someone who offers you a pure and unconditional mirror in which to see
      into your true nature, rather than one which is clouded with ego and
      the spirit of control and manipulation.

      We all have the potential to be awake, to be conscious, in the silent
      emptiness of our true nature. However, there are thousands of us who
      have studied spiritual writings and scriptures for decades and still
      are unable to break through the enclosure of the mind, to taste the
      nectar of realization directly. Thought cannot take us there. No
      prescribed practices will jolt us into this realization. No book will
      lead us there. The fact is that there is nowhere to go, nothing to
      realize and no one to realize it. We have created this myth about
      enlightenment and the enlightened seer, out of our own frustration and
      confusion. We have set them apart from ourselves, as something to
      achieve, something to reach out for, and in doing so have made them
      unattainable.

      Enlightenment is something we have put on a pedestal, knowing that it
      is beyond our grasp. Even though the enlightened seer may tell us that
      all we need to do is to rid ourselves of the notion that we are not
      enlightened, still we are unable to put this notion, this concept
      aside. So where do we go from here? Clearly, any move we make in any
      direction is a mistake. So, we stay where we are, fully experiencing
      our unclarity, our confusion, our frustration. But, instead of
      indulging in emotional reaction and negative moods, we simply stay
      where we are. We live our life, aware of our thoughts, our feelings,
      our moods and emotions. We do our work, raise our family, whilst all
      the time watching what arises in consciousness. We see the play of the
      world, of life, and we stand back from any emotional involvement in it.

      There are wars here and injustices there. We may work for peace in the
      world or try to put right injustices that are taking place, but we
      continue to stand back from emotional involvement. In doing so,
      compassion may arise in the heart. When we get involved emotionally,
      there is a personal reaction. This personal reaction neither solves the
      problem nor allows us to move on. When compassion arises, it comes with
      an all-seeing awareness of the suffering of all humanity. It takes us
      away from personal reaction into effective action. This compassion
      spirits us closer to realization. It takes us out of the ego, out of
      the personal, into the universal. We are then no longer concerned about
      personal realization. The realization comes as a natural side effect of
      the blossoming of compassion in our heart and mind.

      It is natural to have respect for those who have greater knowledge,
      understanding and wisdom than ourselves. But it is also a mistake to
      get pulled in by appearances. Be careful of the one who stands before
      you offering sugar and spice. What’s in his other hand? Why is he so
      keen to get your attention? There are many characters in life who have
      learned how to act in order to get what they want. If someone keeps
      telling you he is a good man, does it not arouse your suspicion? If
      someone goes around under the banner of ‘enlightened master’, do you
      not have a few questions to ask? Of course, the teacher doesn’t always
      go around claiming that he’s an enlightened master (though some are not
      ashamed to do this), but he often doesn’t try to prevent his followers
      from doing so.

      In my own experience, every teacher I ever met who really impressed me
      deeply, made no such claims. The moment that someone does make such
      claims, it gives away the fact that they are living in duality, in
      separation, in the ego. The bigger the guru, the more likely it is that
      they have fallen into this trap. We take their advice at our peril.
      Listening to the voice of our own true nature is what we really need to
      trust in. Then we need no outward teacher. The outward teacher then
      becomes, maybe, a source of inspiration and a motivating force rather
      than someone on whom we become dependent.

      from AllspiritInspiration

      Amritanubhav (The Nectar of Mystical Experience)

      Chapter One: The Union of Shiva and Shakti (Selected verses)

      I offer obeisance to the God and Goddess,
      The limitless primal parents of the universe.

      They are not entirely the same,
      Nor are they not the same.
      We cannot say exactly what they are.

      How sweet is their union!
      The whole world is too small to contain them,
      Yet they live happily in the smallest particle.

      When He awakes, the whole house disappears,
      And nothing at all is left.

      Two lutes: one note.
      Two flowers: one fragrance.
      Two lamps: one light.

      Two lips: one word.
      Two eyes: one sight.
      These two: one universe.

      In unity there is little to behold;
      So She, the mother of abundance,
      Brought forth the world as play.

      He takes the role of Witness
      Out of love of watching Her.
      But when Her appearance is withdrawn,
      The role of Witness is abandoned as well.

      Through Her,
       He assumes the form of the universe;
      Without Her,
      He is left naked.

      If night and day were to approach the Sun,
      Both would disappear.
      In the same way, their duality would vanish
      If their essential Unity were seen.

      from  "Jnaneshvar: The Life and Works of the Celebrated
      Thirteenth Century Indian  Mystic-Poet"
      by S. Abhyayananda.