#1679 - Friday, January 16, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2004
      #1679 - Friday, January 16, 2004 - Editor: Gloria
       Random Nonduality Quotes

      Paths Beyond Ego: The Transpersonal Vision (A New Consciousness Reader) by Frances, Ph.D. Vaughan

      "Paradox is simply the way nonduality looks to the mental level. Spirit itself is not paradoxical; strictly speaking, it is not characterizable at all."

      The Gateless Barrier: Zen Comments on the Mumonkan
      by Zenkei Shibayama

      "Vimalakirti asked Manjusri, "How does a Bodhisattva attain the Dharma of nonduality?" Manjusri replied, "According to my view, the Dharma of nonduality is of no-word, no-speaking, no-presentation, no-realization..."

      Treasury of Precious Qualities: A Commentary on the Root Text of Jigme Lingpa Entitled the Quintessence of the Three Paths by Longchen Yeshe Dorje

       ". . . The intellect pertains only to the relative truth and is itself the factor that veils the state of nonduality. The absolute truth can be realized only by thought-free primordial wisdom, wherein there is no duality of subject . . .."

      The Essential Chogyam Trungpa by Chogyam Trungpa

      ". . . But even the very sense of nonduality is a faint stain, a very subtle, transparent stain. On the shunyata level, that stain is regarded as an adornment,. . ."

      You Have to Say Something: Manifesting Zen Insight
      by Dainin Katagiri

      "Strictly speaking, we humans, like all other sentient beings, live in nonduality. But we must realize this nonduality through duality."

      David Hodges - NDS
      Here in New England the temperatures have been in the teens and tens and
      zeroes the last week or so, with the coldest weather in years expected
      tonight. I'm sure where Jerry is in Nova Scotia it must be even colder.

      This inspired me to pull out Volume 4 of R.H.Blyth's "Haiku" series, for
      some appropriate winter haiku.

          The cold blast -
      Small stones rattling
           On the planks of the pent-roof.

          The winter tempest
      Blows small stones
           Onto the temple bell.

          The tempest is blowing
      Someone's painfully
           Swollen face.

          Winter desolation
      In a world of one color
           the sound of the wind.

         The previous owner,
      I know it all--
          Down to the very cold he felt.

          So bitter cold it was
      I left the bamboo broom
          Under the pine tree.

          A thin-bladed kitchen knife
      Dropped at the edge of the well -
          The cold!

          The sound
      of a rat on a plate -
          How cold it is!

          The desolation of winter,
      Passing through a small hamlet,
          A dog barks.

          By the light of the next room
      I sit before my small food-table;
          Ah, the cold!
      (note: Issa is so poor he can't even afford a room in the Inn
      with a light, so he keeps the door open to see by the light of the next
      room. Blyth notes that because there is no self-pity in this haiku, Issa's
      wretchedness becomes impersonal. and universal)

          A child under ten,
      taken to the temple;
          Bitter cold!
      (Note: the child's parents are too poor to support their child so
      they take him to the temple to become a priest on a cold cold night).

          Raising my head,
      I gaze a my recumbent form:
          Bitter cold.

          The light in the next room
      Also goes out:
          The night is cold.

          After killing the spider,
      A lonely
          Cold night.

          My neighbors hate me,
      Rattling their saucepans
          This winter night!
      (note: Buson's neighbors are presumably making something tasty in
      their saucepans while he lies there cold and hungry under a thin blanket)

          My bones
      Feel the quilts;
          A frosty night.

      Stay warm, everyone! And if you can't get warm,
      try writing a haiku of your own!

      Gill Eardley - Allspirit Inspiration
       "The true contemplative is not less interested than others
      in normal life, not less concerned with what goes on in
      the world, but more interested, more concerned. The fact
      that he or she is a contemplative makes them capable of a
      greater interest and a deeper concern. The contemplative
      has the inestimable gift of appreciating at their real worth
      values that are permanent, authentically deep, human.
      truly spiritual and even divine. Their mission is to be a
      complete and whole person, with an instinctive and
      generous need to further the same wholeness in others,
      and in all humanity. They arrive at this, however, not by
      superior gifts and talents, but by the simplicity and
      poverty which are essential to their state because these
      alone keep one traveling in the way that is spiritual,
      divine and beyond understanding.
      ~Thomas Merton

      Byzantine Faces

      i won't believe
      i'm really

      until i'm gladder
      to be alive
      here now
      than to have
      been alive
      there then

      living in greece
      i may be
      i am, was,
      alive there

      some byzantine
      some classical

      why think
      that good?

      i should
      know better

      i think good
      any time except
      the eighteenth

      (not too bad)

      the nineteenth

      (bad enough)

      or the twentieth

      really, i'm
      glad to be
      alive in the

      not only glad
      to be just

      but even to
      be alive
      just now
      right now

      yes, but i keep
      a light in the
      eyes of certain
      figures in

      certain figures
      in mosaics

      that made
      me wish
      i was living

      as though
      living then
      were to

      some life
      some liveliness
      in the eye
      that seemed
      & penetrating

      (warm with
      the warmth
      of life
      even, with,
      the joy
      of life)

      yet there

      is it
      that see
      ing them
      in some

      them still

      made me

      that it
      was envy
      they gave
      me, but
      rather a

      a spark
      of living
      to keep

      Poem: "Byzantine Faces," by Robert Lax, from A Thing That Is (The Overlook Press).

      art works: top to bottom

      Master of Saint Francis
      Saint John the Evangelist, probably c. 1270/1280

      Wall paintings of St Georges of Kastoria (Greece).

      Santa Maria e Donato, Murano (Venice).

      Also a good site for viewing full screen Byzantine mosaics is here: http://buten.net/max/sicily/mosaics/index_mosaics.html

      And for frescoes:

      "The Buddha could accomplish the enlightened mind because its
      very nature was already there. That is why
      buddhahood-enlightenment-is possible. If there were no such
      nature or potential, it would be impossible."
      -His Holiness The Dalai Lama

      From the Book, "Daily Wisdom: 365 Buddhist Inspirations,"

      Holly - HarshaSatsangh
      Before Harsha started this list, I knew of his devotion to
      Ramana through the k-list and always enjoyed and
      respected his posts. One day I was enduring a long
      airplane flight with a bad migraine (have you noticed by
      the way, how many spiritual stories occur on public
      transportation? What IS it about buses, planes, etc.!). I was
      trying to meditate and suddenly remembered Harsha's
      description of inquiry. I tried to get "behind" the
      headache, asking who is having it. Suddenly my mind
      exploded and I WAS the airplane and all of the people in
      it. The illusion of being a Holly was transparent and my
      joy was boundless. Ironically enough, this happened on
      my birthday. Thanks Harsha!! Love, Holly
      Harsha- HarshaSatsangh
      Thanks Holly. I remember your sharing this story some
      years ago on the K-List. It was a powerful experience
      and has stayed with you. Such moments remind us of our
      eternal existence.

      Many people went to Sri Ramana. They got according to
      their capacity. Many people read about him and his
      teachings. Each gets according to their receptivity
      and faith and grace.

      When Sri Ramana's body was dying, he said, "Where can
      I go. I am here."

      So Sri Ramana is as alive today as he ever was. If one
      doubts that (Tony, you are a good man and I love you),
      then Sri Ramana's teaching is not fully understood.
      Sri Ramana was the Heart. We are the same Heart. Exact
      Same. No cheap copy or anything. Same Heart. Same
      Sameness. Such conviction comes from knowing the Heart
      as the Self. Heart is neither external nor internal.
      Worship of God, Murti, Ishta Devata outside turns into
      surrender and one lands in the Heart and becomes the
      Heart. Sri Krishna says to Arjuna, "I am in the Heart
      of all beings...."

      Self-Inquiry and surrender merge and the Heart Reveals
      It Self as the Eternal Being. One's Very Own Being.

      Love to all

      Gill Eardley - Allspirit

      The Heart Sutra teaches that "form is emptiness, and
      emptiness is form." Many people don't know what this
      means-even some long-time students of meditation. But
      there is a very easy way to see this in our everyday
      lives. For example, here is a wooden chair. It is brown.
      It is solid and heavy. It looks like it could last a long
      time. You sit in the chair, and it holds up your weight.
      You can place things on it. But then you light the chair
      on fire, and leave. When you come back later, the chair
      is no longer there! This thing that seemed so solid and
      strong and real is now just a pile of cinder and ash
      which the wind blows around. This example shows how
      the chair is empty: it is not a permanent, abiding thing.
      It is always changing. It has no independent existence.
      Over a long or short time, the chair will eventually
      change and become something other than what it appears.
      So this brown chair is complete emptiness. But though it
      always has the quality of emptiness, this emptiness is
      form: you can sit in the chair, and it will still hold you
      up. "Form is emptiness, and emptiness is form."

      But why is it necessary to understand this? The reason
      for this is that many human beings are attached to name
      and form, and this attachment to name and form is the
      cause of nearly all suffering. If we want to cure human
      beings of this attachment, then we must apply name-and-
      form medicine. We must begin by showing that names and
      forms are not real and permanent: they are always changing,
      changing, changing. If you are rich, you must see that the
      riches you covet are empty. If you are attached to fame
      and other people's approval, you must see that these things
      that you struggle and suffer for are empty. Most people
      treasure their bodies; they use a lot of money to make
      their bodies strong or beautiful. But someday, soon, when
      you die, this body will disappear. You cannot take this
      empty body with you, however much you treasure it. You
      cannot carry fame with you. You cannot carry money. You
      cannot carry sex. You cannot carry anything!

      from 'The Compass of Zen'
      by Zen Master Seung Sahn

      Allspirit Website:

      Gill Eardley - Allspirit Inspiration
      Excerpt from Don Miguel Ruiz's "The Four Agreements"

      The second agreement is "Don't take anything personally"

      Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of
      themselves. All  people live in their own dream, in their own
      mind; they are in a completely different world from the world
      we live in. when we take something personally, we make the
      assumption that they know what is in our world, and  we try
      to impose our world on their world.

      Even when a situation seems so personal, even if others insult
      you directly, it has nothing to do with you. What they say,
      what they do, and the opinions they give are according to the
      agreements they have in their own minds. Their point of view
      comes from all the programming they received during
      As you make a habit of not taking anything personally, you
      won't need to place your trust in what others do or say. You
      will only need to trust yourself to make responsible choices.
      You are never responsible for the actions of others; you are
      only responsible for you. When you truly understand this, and
      refuse to take things personally, you can hardly be hurt by the
      careless comments or actions of others.

      If you keep this agreement, you can travel around the world
      with your heart completely open and no one can hurt you. You
      can say, "I love you", without fear of being ridiculed or
      rejected. You can ask for what you need. You can say yes, or
      you can say no-whatever you choose- without guilt or self-
      judgment. You can choose to follow your heart always.

      Your life can explode with potential that had little possibility
      of developing the day before, if you are open to it.
      -- Gary Zukav

      Joe Riley - Panhala

      pours light
      into every cup,
      quenching darkness.
      The proudly pious
      stuff their cups with parchment
      and critique the taste of ink
      while God pours light
      and the trees lift their limbs
      without worry of redemption,
      every blossom a chalice.
      Hafiz, seduce those withered souls
      with words that wet their parched lips
      as light
      pours like rain
      into every empty cup
      set adrift on the Infinite Ocean.
      ~ Hafiz ~
      (Interpretive version of Ghazal 11 by Jose Orez)