#1670 - Wednesday, January 7, 2004

  • Know Mystery
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2004
      Archived issues of the NDHighlights are available online:

      If the graphics do not display in your email copy of this issue, read it online at the NDHighlights yahoogroups web:

      RoundDoor

      LuShan, China

      In one's self lies the whole world
      and if you know how to look and learn,
      then the door is there
      and the key is in your hand.
      Nobody on earth can give you the key
      or open the door,
      except yourself.

      ~  Krishnamurti  ~

      #1670 - Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - Editor: joyce (Know_Mystery)

      The totality of consciousness must empty itself of all its knowledge, action and virtue; not empty itself for a purpose, to gain, to realize, to become. It must remain empty though functioning in the everyday world of thought and action. Out of this emptiness, thought and action must come. But this emptiness will not open the door. There must be no door nor any attempt to reach. There must be no centre in this emptiness, for this emptiness has no measurement; it's the centre that measures, weighs, calculates. This emptiness is beyond time and space; it's beyond thought and feeling. It comes as quietly, unobtrusively, as love; it has no beginning and end. It's there unalterable and immeasurable."

      ~  Krishnamurti  ~

      "Krishnamurti's Notebook"

      http://www.geocities.com/brianperkins77/147ckrishnamurti.htm

      The Buddhas, the World Honored Ones, wish to open the door of Buddha wisdom to all living beings, to allow them to attain purity. That is why they appear in the world. They wish to show the Buddha wisdom to living beings, and therefore they appear in the world. They wish to cause living beings to awaken to the Buddha wisdom, and therefore they appear in the world. They wish to induce living beings to enter the path of Buddha wisdom, and therefore they appear in the world.

      "The Lotus Sutra," translated by Burton Watson

      Still Arriving

      Don't say that I will depart tomorrow--even today I am still arriving.

      Look deeply: every second I am arriving to be a bud on a Spring branch, to be a tiny bird, with still-fragile wings, learning to sing in my new nest, to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower, to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.

      I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry, to fear and to hope. The rhythm of my heart is the birth and death of all that is alive.

      I am a mayfly metamorphosing on the surface of the river. And I am the bird that swoops down to swallow the mayfly. I am a frog swimming happily in the clear water of a pond. And I am the grass-snake that silently feeds itself on the frog. I am the child in Uganda, all skin and bones, my legs as thin as bamboo sticks. And I am the arms merchant, selling deadly weapons to Uganda. I am the twelve-year-old girl, refugee on a small boat, who throws herself into the ocean after being raped by a sea pirate. And I am the pirate, my heart not yet capable of seeing and loving. I am a member of the politburo, with plenty of power in my hands. And I am the man who has to pay his "debt of blood" to my people dying slowly in a forced-labor camp.

      My joy is like Spring, so warm it makes flowers bloom all over the Earth. My pain is like a river of tears, so vast it fills the four oceans.

      Please call me by my true names, so I can hear all my cries and laughter at once, so I can see that my joy and my pain are one.

      Please call me by my true names, so I can wake up and the door of my heart could be left open, the door of compassion.

      --Thich Nhat Hanh

      Round_Door

                       Round Door

      "Verbally we can go only so far:
      what lies beyond cannot be put into words
      because the word is not the thing.
      Up to now we can describe, explain,
      but no words or explanations can open the door.
      What will open the door is daily awareness and attention..."

      ~  Krishnamurti  ~

      "Freedom from the Known"

      Very few beings really seek knowledge in this world. Mortal or immortal, few really ASK. On the contrary, they try to wring from the unknown the answers they have already shaped in their own minds . . .
      To really ask is to open the door to the whirlwind. The answer may annihilate the question and the questioner.

      ~  Anne Rice  ~

      Every divine image remains an image;
      every vision tempts us to hold on to it.
      To be really free, there is no option except to be yourself.
      You are the living center around which every event happens,
      yet no event is so important that you willingly give yourself up to it.
      By being yourself you open the door to what is,
      the never-ending play of cosmic intelligence
      curving back to know itself again and again.
      In this way life remains fresh and fulfills its need
      to renew itself at every moment.

      ~  Deepak Chopra  ~

      So what will make you change? Please ask yourself, burn with that question, because we have fallen into habit. Your house is burning, and apparently you do not pay attention. So, if you don�t change, society remains as it is. And clever people are coming along saying that society must change, we need a new structure - and the structure then becomes more important than man, as all revolutions have shown.

      After considering all this, is there a learning, is there an awakening of intelligence, is there a sense of order in our lives? Or are we going back to the same routine? If you have that intelligence, that goodness, that sense of great love, then you will create a marvellous new society where we can all live happily. It�s our earth - not Indian earth, or English earth, Russian earth; it�s our earth where we can live happily, intelligently, not at each others� throats. So, please give your heart and mind to find out why you don�t change - even in little things. Please pay attention to your own life. You have extraordinary capacities. It is all waiting for you to open the door.

      ~  Krishnamurti  ~

      Chennai 3rd Public Talk, December 29, 1979

      If you sit with all doors and windows closed,
      how can you see the path?
      Open the door and step out;
      the path will become visible.

      ~  Anandamayi  ~

      Moon_Door

      Moon Garden

      How do I look at anger?

      Obviously, I look at it as an observer being angry. I say, "I am angry." At the moment of anger there is no "I"; the "I" comes in immediately afterwards - which means time. Can I look at the fact without the factor of time, which is the thought, which is the word? This happens when there is the looking without the observer. See where it has led me. I now begin to perceive a way of looking - perceiving without the opinion, the conclusion, without condemning, judging. Therefore I perceive that there can be "seeing" without thought, which is the word. So the mind is beyond the clutches of ideas, of the conflict of duality and all the rest of it. So, can I look at fear not as an isolated fact?If you isolate a fact that has not opened the door to the whole universe of the mind, then let us go back to the fact and begin again by taking another fact so that you yourself will begin to see the extraordinary thing of the mind, so that you have the key, you can open the door, you can burst into that.... ...By considering one fear - the fear of death, the fear of the neighbor, the fear of your spouse dominating over you, you know the whole business of domination - will that open the door? That is all that matters-not how to be free of it - because the moment you open the door, fear is completely wiped away. The mind is the result of time, and time is the word - how extraordinary to think of it! Time is thought; it is thought that breeds fear, it is thought that breeds the fear of death; and it is time which is thought, that has in its hand the whole intricacies and the subtleties of fear.

      Krishnamurti  ~

      http://groups.msn.com/ZenandSpiritualart/krishnamurtienglish.msnw

      And then the questioner asked: "How can I bring it about?" After all that!

      And Nisargadatta says: "You can do nothing to bring it about." Very often, somebody comes and says: "You know, I just can�t do this. I really just can�t do this. It�s just too much. I don't know what to do."

      At last, something is getting home to that person. At last, there is a truth that's beginning to shine through. And very often as we say, there is that despair and so on that goes with it, because there is the sense that "I�ve got to do it. I am the only one that can do it. I am the master." All our lives, we've been making that claim. A poet once said: "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." But when one sees this "I can do nothing", that does not mean therefore that nothing can be done. It does not mean that. It means now, at last, something can happen, something can be done. We try to bring this home to people by telling them: "Alright, I am going to ring the bell, you�re going to stand up and you�re going to leave. How are you going to do that?" Of course, one does not know, but that which stands up, which walks, which talks, which sees, that is what is doing the work. This belief that "I am doing the work" is purely illusory and you will feel that "if I�m not in control, then I will fly out of control." But no, when I stand up, I stand up with just the right amount of energy needed. When I open the door, I open the door with just the right amount of energy needed. When I talk, I use the right words in the right sequence. There are not words flying all over the place. There is a meaning, there is a totality, there is an organisation in what I say and yet I am not saying it. I don�t know what I am going to say until I have said it, in fact. In others words, there is, let�s put it this way, there is a wonderful, incredible, creative controlling power that is controlling everything and that wonderful creative controlling power is you. Not that sense of "I am this creative, controlling power". Once you say that, then the whole thing turns into a fantasy once more. This is why we want a demonstration, because we want you to let go of your claims, your words and so on, and for you to manifest from the source. In one way, you can�t help manifesting from the source, you just cannot help that; all we want to do is to see if we can find some way we can let go of that detour that you are constantly making. Let go of it, at least sufficiently for you to see that indeed it is a detour. That�s it. And then, in subsequent work and the rest of your life, you can strive to let go of the detour completely. But you don�t see this "I am so and so, I am this body" and so on, you don�t see it as a detour. You see it as the origin, you claim it as the origin, you claim it as the initiator but it isn�t. It�s a deflection on the way.

      ~  Nisargadatta  ~

      If the doors of perception were cleansed
      everything would appear to man as it is,
      infinite.

      ~  William Blake  ~

      The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you;
      Don't go back to sleep.

      You must ask for what you really want;
      Don't go back to sleep.

      People are going back and forth
      across the doorsill where
      the two worlds touch.

      The door is round and open.
      Don't go back to sleep.

      ~  Rumi  ~

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      [Editor's Note: My spoken reading of this Rumi poem is found in the ALMS v1 relaxation program,  which may be downloaded for free from here:

      www.cyber-shaktipat.org/relax/alms.html

      I have found listening to and reading the visualizations of ALMS very relaxing to use, myself.]

      Teachers open the door.
      You enter by yourself.

      ~  Chinese Proverb  ~

      The first step toward change is acceptance. Once you accept yourself, you open the door to change. That's all you have to do. Change is not something you do, it's something you allow.

      ~   Will Garcia  ~

      Round_Door

                                        Round Door

      All I can say truly is: 'I am',
      all else is inference.
      But the inference has become a habit.
      Destroy all habits of thinking and seeing.
      The sense 'I am' is the manifestation
      of a deeper cause, which you may call Self,
      God, Reality or by any other name.
      The 'I am' is in the world;
      but it is the key which can
      open the door out of the world.
      The moon dancing on the water
      is seen in the water,
      but it is caused by the moon in the sky
      and not by the water.

      ~  Nisargadatta  ~

         "I AM THAT"

      Your purpose is nothing you can miss. It is everywhere, and nowhere at all. Your purpose is grand and insignificant at the same time. Meaningful and meaningless, epic and momentary.

      Each set of qualities is shared, there at the same time, holding your purpose in balance. Thus, your purpose exists in this lifetime. It is you. Being you.

      Ask not what the purpose is, take action and be yourself.

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)