#1665 - Friday, January 2, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004

      #1665 - Friday, January 2, 2004 - Editor: Gloria

      Change is the basis of life.

          Opposites are interconnected polarities,
             not irreconcilables over which we have
             to make a choice.

                                                  - Ramesh S. Balsekar

       http://groups..yahoo.com/group/AlongTheWay/

      Wage Peace

      Wage peace with your breath.
      Breathe in firemen and rubble,
      breathe out whole buildings
      and flocks of redwing blackbirds.

      Breathe in terrorists and breathe out sleeping children
      and freshly mown fields.
      Breathe in confusion and breathe out maple trees.
      Breathe in the fallen
      and breathe out lifelong friendships intact.

      Wage peace with your listening:
      hearing sirens, pray loud.
      Remember your tools:
      flower seeds, clothes pins, clean rivers.

      Make soup.
      Play music, learn the word for thank you in three languages.
      Learn to knit, and make a hat.
      Think of chaos as dancing raspberries,
      imagine grief as the outbreath of beauty
      or the gesture of fish.
      Swim for the other side.
      Wage peace.

      Never has the world seemed so fresh and precious.
      Have a cup of tea and rejoice.
      Act as if armistice has already arrived.
      Don't wait another minute.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      "The challenge is to do the thing you have to do because you're in love with it and can't do anything else.   Not because you want to become famous or rich, but because you will be unhappy if you can't do it.  It is not something you can turn on and off." - Warren MacKenzie

      Lee Love - from Live Journal

      Thursday, November 27th, 2003
      9:53a - Me, I am a Craftsman Potter.
      I think a person's attitude is very important, both about themselves and their work. It really frames your creative life.

      I remember when I first met my late Zen teacher. When somebody tried to call him a "Zen Master", he replied, "I am just a simple monk."

      When I made my first trip back to Japan in '93, I recall coming back to my late Uncle's home and being served a spectacular dinner that he prepared himself. (My Uncle was an unusual Japanese man for his age, he did all the cooking in his home.) My wife Jean and I told him what a wonderful cook he was and he replied, "I'm not a very good cook. I am just a simple shopkeeper." Immediately, we both recalled our Zen teacher's words.

      This also is reflected in Hamada saying that he was not an artist, but a craftsman. And that the craftsman only has his character. This parallels Einstein's comment: "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

      The concept of "artist" is pretty new, developed during the Renaissance, along side the development of the merchant class. These two things are inseparable and are bound together by money. I think many people quit creative endeavors because they have false expectations related to money and success. It is much like a kid going into basketball so they can be a rich as Michael Jordan. Very few people are going to be able to match these expectations.

      But, to be a potter, you only have to make good pots. There is no need to worry about wealth and celebrity status. And hopefully, some of the pots you make will be good enough to be considered art. Frankly, in the realm of functional pottery, viewed over the span of 15,000 years of its existence, 99.9% of the makers who made what I would call pots of artistic value did not know the concept of Artist.

      Blue-grey MacKenzie teabowl.

      Tuesday, December 23rd, 2003
      5:18p
      I thought of something while I was throwing pitchers this morning.
      There is an aspect here in Japan that helps bring functional craft,
      especially pottery, more into "the realm of necessity," and that is tea
      ceremony. Things like tea here are studied not as a luxury, but
      traditionally, as something that educated people learned to improve the
      quality of their lives. This is true of flower arranging, bonsai,
      calligraphy, painting and woodblock printing. There is an aspect of this
      and the arts in the West, but I think we can see it developed to its highest
      level in tea.

      Currently, with a large educated middle class, it isn't necessarily
      just wealthy people who buy expensive tea related craft. Your post man,
      truck driver or gas station attendant just might be a connoisseur. It is
      interesting, but here in Japan, it is very possible to find someone making
      $7.00 to $10.00 an hour who might spend several hundred dollars on a piece
      of pottery, whereas, back home, in the States, your mechanic or plumber
      making almost 10 times more an hour is very unlikely to do the same.

      I don't know if we can ever make tea ceremony mainstream in N.
      America, but I do think we can promote the making and use of hand-crafted
      things for their ability to enrich our everyday lives. We could even
      promote art this way. But for art to be "every day", we might expect the
      makers to make the wages of mechanics or plumbers rather than that of movie
      or sports stars. Of course, the "best of the best" might, but more modest
      gains would be a more realistic goal for your average craftsperson.

      Monday, December 29th, 2003
      12:59p
      Actually, the oldest known art is "narrative" so narrative in no way has to
      be "short term." Check out the Lascaux Cave paintings:

      http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcn at/lascaux/en/f-da.htm

      Awesome! Something to measure against! Makes you think twice about our
      modern ideas about "progress."

      If I want to paint, I have to look back at the first paintings in Lascaux.
      If I am making pots, I have to look back at the first pots made by the Jomon
      people. Both works were done about 17,000 years ago.

      When I heard on the radio that Mars was at its closest to the earth
      on August 27, 2003, closest it has been in 60,000 years, I was throwing on
      my zelkova kickwheel. They said it was its exact closest at that
      moment. I had the urge to jump up and run out and go see it, but then I
      thought, "60,000 years ago, there were no potters! I will just sit here
      and throw my pots. I am the first human being to be doing this so close
      to Mars." :^) Later that night, during my walk with my dog Taiko, I did
      see Mars. I saw it in a different light...

      --
      Lee In Mashiko, Japan
      http://Mashiko.org

      [Editors Note: Lee has recently made some of his pottery available for sale at his website below.]

      Jerry Katz - NDSN

      Web inventor is knighted. In the 1980s, while a researcher at a nuclear lab in Geneva, Mr. Berners-Lee came up with an idea that ushered the world into a new information age: the World Wide Web. Furthermore, although he could have become fabulously wealthy from his invention, he kept it in the public domain and eschewed the lures of the private sector. He remains instead a spiritual guru of the high-tech world, promoting a vision of the Internet as an open and universal forum to exchange ideas freely. -more-

      http://www.nonduality.com/

      Gill Eardly - Allspirit

                     First Step

                  Beginnings
                  are sometimes foggy.
                  The path is not always clear.
                  The end of one begets another.

                  To begin, put one foot
                  in front of the other.
                  Your foot knows where to land,
                  the one that moves forward first.
                  Forget about the best foot.

                  Just put it out there.
                  Stop traffic if you have to.
                  Go home if that is where it leads you.
                  if that is where your foot falls.

                  You don't have to
                  go anywhere
                  Just rest.
                  After you step,
                  take another.
                  Forget about the weather.
                  Step
                  Step again.

                  ~Robin Heerens Lysne

      Sshomi - Along the Way

      The world of the waking state and the dream world
      How can the mind which has itself created
      the world accept it as unreal? That is the
      significance of the comparison made between
      the world of the waking state and the dream
      world. Both are creations of the mind and,
      so long as the mind is engrossed in either,
      it finds itself unable to deny their reality.
      It cannot deny the reality of the dream world
      while it is dreaming and it cannot deny the
      reality of the waking world while it is awake.
      If, on the contrary, you withdraw your mind
      completely from the world and turn it
      within and abide there, that is, if you keep
      awake always to the Self which is the sub-
      stratum of all experiences, you will find the
      world of which you are now aware is just as
      unreal as the world in which you lived your
      dream.

      - Sri Ramana Maharshi

      ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
      "Be As You Are"
      The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
      Wdited by David Godman
      Arkana, 1985

      Dreams - NDS

      Toombaru

      It seems to be within the nature of dreams to never let the dreamer
      and the objects in the dream have intimate access to each other.....

      One wonders what would happen to the people in your dream last night
      if they actually saw you.
      Jerry

      Anyone can dream lucidly if they want to and if they work at it. In the
      course of such dreams -- this was many years ago -- I would stare at a dream
      character face to face and ask him, "What are you doing after this dream?"
      I'd arrange a time and place in L.A. to meet.

      I never actually had a normal conversation with such a character. Once a
      red-haired guy looked shocked, violated and offended and said one word to me
      that he could barely get out: "Dangerous." And he faded away. I laughed. On
      other occasions people simply faded away when asked what they were doing
      after the dream.

      If this interaction now is a dream and I ask the reader what he or she is
      doing after this dream, then I suppose it is a nonsensical question. But you
      could pretend there's the end of the dream and we could meet at a coffee
      shop anyway.

      Zen Oleary - TrueVision

      Albatross

      I saw the albatross and I didn’t,