#1664 - Thursday, January 1, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004

      #1664 - Thursday, January 1, 2004 - Editor: Jerry

      R.K. Shankar
      I AM

      A Highlights original translation in progress.

      Dakshinamurthy Stotra: "Shapelessness situated on the right side".

      About a month ago, I happened to go to the Sri Ramana Kendra in Chennai
      Then, I happened to sight a text with commentary by Sri Bhagawan
      Needless to say, I was thrilled and I purchased it instantly.
      The name of this text is "Dakshinamurthy Stotra"
      In Sanskrit, it means the "Shapelessness situated on the right side".

      Originally, this text was composed in Sanskrit by Adi Shankaracharya.
      Once, Bhagawan Sri Ramana happened to render the Sanskrit verses into Tamil. Not only that, Sri Bhagawan also wrote the meaning and commentary for them.

      This contains 12 verses.

      The 1st verse pronounces auspiciousness as is customary.

      The 2nd verse sets out the purpose of the advent of Lord Siva as the young
      Sage Dhakshinamurthy.

      The next 3 verses talk about the world.

      The next 3 verses talk about the seer.

      The next 3 verses talk about the scene.

      The last verse talks about the all-encompassing Self.

      Yours in Sri Bhagawan
      RK Shankar

      ~ ~ ~

      Dhakshinamurthy Stotra in Tamil - Verse 1 - Sri Bhagawan's Tamil Meaning translated

      Let us Praise that dhakshiNAmUrthy, the Supreme Father,

      1 who is 'having the Opening to Delight',
      2 who Delights in the Self alone,
      3 who is the Embodiment of Delight,
      4 who is with a Hand with fingers closed in the fashion of Sealing in
      Brahman as it were,
      5 who is the pre-eminent among Spiritual Masters abiding surrounded,
      by the foremost among spiritual disciples, who are Rishis resting in
      Brahman,
      6 who is a small boy,
      7 who is of the Form of the Supreme Brahman, and
      8 who denoted the Supreme Brahman by the Expounding that is Silence.

      Dhakshinamurthy Stotra Verse 2

      Translation of the Import Gracefully Suggested by Sri Bhagawan
      in respect of Dhakshinamurthy Stotra Verse 2

      The Self and the Ego

      1 Salutation to that Dhakshinamurthy, who became the Primordial Spiritual
      Preceptor,
      2 He, who sees "He, the Self" alone as existing, while knowing the Self,
      3 [like seeing oneself alone after waking up from sleep]
      4 having seen the world as existing outside oneself,
      like dream occurring by sleep caused due to the ignorance of the
      Self,
      5 even though the becoming of the world was existing within the Self,
      6 like the city seen inside a mirror.

      Translation of Sri Bhagawan's Import of His Tamil DMS 3
      Dhakshinamurthy Stotra # 3
      The Self is the Primal Cause

      The Import Gracefully Suggested by Sri Bhagawan

      1 Salutation to that (Spiritual) Preceptor, Dhakshinamurthy,
      2 He, who, by (the Power of) His Self-Will,
      3 like the Siddha (one endowed with 8 supernatural faculties) and the
      magician (one skilled in magical arts),
      4 by the subjection to work, time and space, appearing falsely due to Maya
      (Illusion),
      6 later spreads outside "as the mysterious many",
      7 this world that existed (before) without differentiation in the Self,
      8 like the seedling (existing) before (sprouting), inside the seed.

      Dhakshinamurthy Stotra - Verse 4 - Sri Bhagawan's Import translated

      The Import Gracefully Suggested by Sri Bhagawan

      Salutation to that (Spiritual) Preceptor, Dhakshinamurthy,

      1 whom those of penance attain,
      2 by having directly seen (He,) whom,
      (one) does not again drown into this ocean of transmigratory existence,
      3 (He) who proclaims those adjoining Him by the Vedic Statement 'That Art
      Thou',
      4 whose True Lustre alone, 'shines clear' in things rising up falsely.

      Dhakshinamurthy Stotra 7 Translation of the Import granted gracefully by Sri Bhagawan

      The Self alone is the Eternal Existence

      The Import Gracefully Suggested by Sri Bhagawan
      Salutation to that Eternal Lord of the Universe, Dhakshinamurthy,

      1 He, the One, who abides always, and who becomes the 'Individual' by the
      screening of the Illusion,
      2 like the (Ever-Existent) Sun and Moon "captured (covered over)" by (the
      shadow that is reckoned as a planet according to Indian Astrology) Rahu,
      3 who sleeps when the expanded mind subsides, and
      4 who reveals the Self-Existence as "(I) slept before (i.e., prior to
      waking)" when the mind expands and awakes.
      Yours in Sri Bhagawan
      RK Shankar

      Editor's note: I know it may seem shlockly to follow Ramana's hard marble of knowing with a piece on New Years resolutions, but here goes...

      Our Voice: New Year is time for action .Make a positive impact on the
      lives you touch this year

      The Desert Sun, January 1, 2004

      Following is an interesting anecdote -- something to contemplate as we
      embark upon the first of the 366 days of this year (don’t forget the
      bonus day in February).

      There is a story of a retired executive, who, along his spiritual
      journey, recognized the importance of doing a good deed every day --
      not just to appease his own conscience, but to contribute a bit of
      goodness to the world. Since his days were, as are most peoples’,
      filled to the brim with responsibilities and activity, he wanted to
      make sure that he could accomplish his goal each and every day. So he
      wouldn’t forget to perform these daily acts of kindness, he had a
      unique alternative to the string-around-the-finger method.

      His solution: a green marble, which, every morning, he would place in
      his right front pocket. During the day, he was aware of its presence,
      and would roll the marble around in his pocket as a reminder to look
      for an opportunity to do good. When he performed an act of kindness, he
      moved it to his left hand pocket. When he went home and took the marble
      from his left pocket and put it up on his dresser, he would feel that
      he, at least for that day, made the attempt to make the world just a
      bit better. He carried this marble with him from 1982 until his death
      last year.

      When his daughter removed the marble from his pocket for the last time,
      she noticed this orb was no longer perfectly round; its smooth surface
      was worn from years of handling, thousands of kind deeds -- the legacy
      of its existence. At his funeral, his grandchildren handed out green
      marbles in remembrance.

      Here’s to a healthy and happy 2004. May your green marble always be
      well worn.

      If you are inclined to grind that hard marble down and watch it turn into an utterly interior-scented smoke, read on...

      David Oller
      Alices Restaurant

      Incense Making

      Welcome to the new people who have joined us for the incense-making
      discussions.

      I should probably start back at the beginning, so everyone is on the
      same track.

      The approach I'm going to take is much different than what most
      people are accustomed to seeing. Most people are accustomed to what I
      call the "Betty Crocker" method of making incense, because it is
      largely based on recipes using measures. The problem with this style
      is incense ingredients vary greatly in potency and aroma. Measures
      can only be applied where there are standards. If I was going to bake
      a cake, some kind of recipe with measures would be essential, but if
      I'm making the mustard-glaze I mentioned before I don't need
      measures. I can't taste a cake until it's baked, but I can taste the
      glaze as I simmer it on the stove, and taste is the final judge -- or
      smell in the case of incense.

      For this reason we are going to start with "powdered" incense.
      Powders can be adjusted. Powdered incense is also a great stle of
      incense burning in its own right. Burning powders is best done using
      the "Incense Trail" or "Incense Seal" method. It originated at
      Nalanda in India, and was taken to China by Vajrayana monks. There it
      was applied to use in timekeeping, and that passed on to Japan as
      Incense Clocks, still used today in some monasteries. It is also used
      by Shingon monks for ceremonies in what is called an Egoro.

      What you will need to burn your powdered incense:

      Koh Press

      If you look on internet where Makko Incense Powder is sold you will
      find those retailers normally sell what is called a Koh Press. Simple
      Koh presses are easily made yourself. Hardware stores sell 3/8"
      square dowels. You cut (2) pieces 1 3/4" long, (1) piece 3/4" long,
      and you clue them with Elmer's wood glue in the shape of a square
      horseshoe. Next cut a piece 1 1/2" long and glue it on top of the all
      three pieces to use as a handle. Look at the pictures on the
      retailers pages and you can see what it looks like, or you can buy
      one for about $6.00

      There is also a Ceramic Koh Press with a round design that is sold by
      200 hands gallery. This is the one I personally use today, even
      though I have a few wooden ones here as well. I like the round design
      because it is more efficient using space and burns about 15 to 20
      minutes longer than the square style. I think it costs about $12.00

      Bowl

      Many of the incense bowls out there today will work just fine. Be
      careful that you don't use a flat bottom bowl that can burn your
      table. Bowls with legs are what I recommend. Picking a bowl you might
      consider other ways you might be using it. For example, the Kodo Kai
      Kodo Cup will work just fine, and you can also use it to hold sticks,
      or use for Kodo style burning, but it is much more expensive than
      other bowls. If you are not going to be doing Kodo then cheaper bowls
      might be better for you.

      Ash

      The Ash used in incense trails is usually ash from previously burned
      incense or incense powders, so when you begin to burn powders you
      will begin to accumulate more ash which should be saved to make
      another bowl/ash set. This ash CAN NOT be used for Kodo. Ash for Kodo
      is pure Rice Chaff ash and never ash mixed with ash from burned
      incense or powders. However, rice chaff ash can be used for incense
      trails.

      Makko

      Makko can be obtained from several retailers.

      Sandalwood Powder

      My recommendation here is the Ayurvedic grade powder with is usually
      a low grade Sandalwood powder without the oil removed. The majority
      of Sandalwood powders are from leftover processing of essential oil.

      The best Sandalwood powder is taking the Sandalwood Chips and
      grinding them yourself. However for this presentation I want you to
      start by using the ones that are already powdered. You will
      understand as these lessons progress.

      Okay, that's pretty simple, and we are going to first learn to make a
      really good smelling Sandalwood incense, actually much better than
      99% of the commercial products, and much cheaper for the quality.

      From there, just like taking a mustard-glaze and turning it into
      hundreds of different Bar B Que sauces, we will learn to make
      hundreds of unique incense recipes, from some simple basics, and best
      of all, you will be creating your own recipes, not following Betty
      Crocker's.

      Okay, to help those of you just getting started, we are going to give
      you a little extra help.

      For a limited time, if you buy the Ceramic Bowl & Koh Press
      combination from 200 Hands Gallery (Cost $36.00) Esoterics LLC will
      throw in for free:

      2 ounces sandalwood powder
      1 box Rice Chaff ash
      4 ounces of makko powder

      You can find the bowl & Press set at:

      http://www.200hands.com/html_gifts/kit-newyear-special.html

      This should give you everything you need to get started.

      Incense Making - What You Will Need

      Dear List,

      Here are the items you will need to participate in this incense-
      making lesson.

      To begin

      Required:

      1. Bowl & Ash
      2. Koh Press (Anykind, even something simple you make yourself)
      3. Makko powder
      4. Sandalwood powder
      (Suggest trying different ones from different sources)

      Optional:

      1. Sandalwood oil
      2. Mysore Sandalwood chips

      Next Lesson (Items in addition to those above)

      Required:

      Cloves or clove powder
      Cassia or Cassia powder

      Optional:

      Patchouli oil
      Neroli oil
      Aloeswood powder
      Borneol Camphor
      Benzoin Powder

      In lesson #3 we are going to go from powdered mixtures to learning to
      make cones, sticks, and kneaded (neriko) incense. I'm also going to
      introduce a form I think is much better than cones, and much easier
      to make than sticks.

      Some items you may want to consider for lesson #3

      Honey (Tupelo prefered)
      Mortar & Pestle (Porcelain type about 6")
      Flour sifter

      * I'll give instructions on powdered charcoal at a later date
      (suprise)

      Included in these lessons are how a West Texas Irish girl taught me
      how to make Glazes and Bar B Que Sauce. I will also include Tularosa
      Tortillas & Sopas.

      David

      While we're playing with your senses, try this, yummmm

      Bobby G.'s Veggie Chili For Semi-Hermits

      from HarshaSatsangh Magazine: http://www.harshasatsangh.com/

      Take a big onion and chop it up to sautee. Take a very large skillet
      and pop in a lot of Virgin Olive Oyl. No matter how much she screams,
      brown that onion really good.

      Take two packs of veggie burger from the freezer, God bless the Seventh
      Day Adventists for the Morning Star products. It will soak up any
      amount of oyl. Sprinkle liberally with some spicy hot sauce. Anything
      but the tasteless Tobasco flamethrower brand. Crystal is my favorite.
      Lots of taste without the unnecessary tissue trauma.

      Then scorch that veggie burger and onion mixture good. This is supposed
      to be bad for you.

      And you can forget the ideal BMI for a little while. That's the Body
      Mass Index for the regular people out there. You others can forget that
      too.

      Here is the hard part, put in two fifteen point five ounce cans of
      Bush's Chili Magic-chili starter. Umm, ummm, umm. Mix that up good and
      sizzlin' hot. Then pour in two fourteen ounce cans of stewed or diced
      tomatoes. Crystal sauce those tomatoes and mix it up.

      Turn down that heat and simmer it for around thirty minutes. It is
      really good in an ice storm like today.

      Ummm, ummm, ummm. I can smell it now. I mean I really can smell it now.
      It will feed four gluttons, one time or one semi-hermit glutton, four
      times. I like mine with saltine crackers and catsup. Figger on restin'
      a spell after supper. Ummm, ummm, ummm.

      Love

      Bobby G.

      Bob Graham is a long time contributor to both the HarshaSatsangh and
      NondualitySalon mailing lists. He is an established painter. More of
      his paintings can be seen in the Spring 2002 edition of HarshaSatsangh
      Magazine.  http://www.harshasatsangh.com/

      The images were taken by the author.

      Lady Joyce
      NDS

      Please feel free to visit my website at www.omshaantih.com
      I have finally started linking pages and trying to organize it...
      My big New Year's Resolution, to link a few pages!!!
      Took me all day long to figure it out!
      Miles to go before I sleep...
      Am I having fun yet?

      Love,

      Joyce

      ps...Lord Shiva made me do it :-)

      Gill Eardley
      AllspiritInspiration

      Happy 2004

      Dear Friends

      Do you recall, it doesn't seem five minutes since we were saying
      it would soon be the year 2000? And here we are in 2004 already.

      We are off to Slalely, in the north east of England, near to
      Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, in the morning, until Sunday evening. All
      seven of us are going and we are looking forward to the break,
      and hoping we may even get some snow. I will have my camera
      with me just in case.

      I haven't really written, or replied to, any email over the holiday
      period, (other than an odd message) so I am sorry if you have
      written and I haven't replied.  My husband is back to work on Monday,
      the children back to school on Tuesday, and Matthew and Lauren
      back to uni some time in the week. So I will have more time to sit and
      write, and will catch up next week.

      I want to wish each and every one a 2004 filled with inner peace,
      love, joy and happiness. And thank you to all who share with me,
      it means a lot.

      love,
      gill