#1661 - Monday, December 29, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2003
      #1661 - Monday, December 29, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      This issue is dedicated to Neem Karoli Baba

      Ben Hassine
      NDS

      "It is entirely against the traditions of the ashram that people should get away without getting prasad."
      Neem Karoli Baba

      When I was in Kerala in Anandashram we had darshan of Swami Satchidananda. As a matter of fact we packed our bags and after circumbulating the samadhis my girlfriend and I tried to sneak away. To be honest I felt no reason to bother Swami Satchidanada with any tiresome social talk etc.

      When we approached the gate an old Brahmin, who took care of the compound we stayed in - and showed me a secret spot to smoke my cigarettes LOL- came running after us and insisted we had darshan and took the vibhuti and prasad before we left. With great hesitation we entered the room of Swami Satchidananda and just sat there staring at each other. He gave us fruit, sweets and vibuthi. I keep the vibuthi in one of the books I bought there.

      Just a couple of minutes ago, after reading the post of Michael Bowes I had a
      look at the sayings of Neem Karoli Baba and now I understand what happened at that moment.

      Durga

      Hi Ben,

      Thanks for the posting about Neem Karoli Baba.  He is my guru.
      Whatever teaching or path I follow, he is there.  Only now
      am I gradually beginning to understand some of his sayings.

      We used to have a little xeroxed book that was passed around in India
      in the early 70's with his sayings in it.  We called it "The Cook's
      Book"  A tiny little square book held together with a rubber band
      threaded through a punch hole. That little book was my bible.

      Some sayings I continue to work with, "Never throw anyone out of your
      heart."   "Whoever comes is your guest."  These aren't always easy
      teachings for me.

      And of course the favorite quote which was accompanied by the mudra
      of one finger held aloft.  "Sub ek"  translation,  "All One"

      When one of my friends went to him with doubts about who her guru
      was, as she had had many, he replied to her before she had even asked
      her question, "Ek guru", translation, "There is only one guru".

      A variety of people consider Neem Karoli Baba as their guru, and each
      of them if asked will point to the one underlying thread that explains their connection to him, His love.

      Quoting my friend again from a story published in the recent Taos
      Hanuman Temple newsletter:  Maharaji leaned forward and said, "Do you
      think that by coming to temples like this it brings you closer to
      God?"  At that moment it was like a Zen koan.  I realized that I
      really didn't know the answer.  I experienced not-knowing in a very
      deep way, and my heart opened.  I burst into uncontrollable sobs.
      Maharaji was asking "What's the matter?" and calling for hot milk.
      Finally I could speak enough to say I was just feeling a lot of love.

      Maharji also used to say, "Eki rhoop hey"  One story, one form.
      OH

      Quotes from Neem Karoli Baba

      "Love EveryOne, Feed EveryOne, Remember God, Tell the Truth."

      "I am everybody's guru."

      "I don't want anything. I exist only to serve others."

      "I have no powers. I don't know anything."

      "I am the father of the world. The whole world is my child."

      "Ask God or Hanuman. I'm just an ordinary being. I can do nothing."

      "Love all men as God, even if they hurt you or shame you. Be like Gandhi and Christ."

      "If you want to see God, kill desires. Desires are in the mind. When you have a desire for something, don't act on it and it will go away. If you desire to drink this cup of tea, don't, and the desire for it will fall away."

      "Everything is impermanent, except the love of God."

      "It's better to see God in everything than to try to figure it out."

      "Attachment is the strongest block to realization."

      "The heart never grows old."

      "It doesn't matter if you are married or not, it only matters how much you love God."

      He chided: "This world is all attachment. Yet you get worried because you are attached."

      "Temples are but piles of stones. Attachment holds you back."

      "Keep God in your heart like you keep money in the bank."

      "Work is worship"

      "If you do not make it empty, how will you fill it up again?"

      "When you loan money to a saint, don't expect to get it back."

      "Money should be used to help others."

      "Whatever may be guru - he may be a lunatic or a common person. Once you have
      accepted him, he is the lord of lords."

      "The eyes of a saint are always concentrated on the supreme self. The minute he
      is aware of himself, sainthood is lost."

      Neem Karoli Baba Stories

      Maharaj-ji told Gurudat: "Even if you have lakhs (hundreds of thousands) of people as supporters, as followers, and as attendents always at your command, you must personally attend to:

      Khati* (kay-tee) - cultivation,
      Pati* (pa-tee) - writing letters,
      Binti* (bin-tee)(or vin-tee) - worship,
      Ghorey Katang* - The tying of the saddle on the back of the horse."

      (* Sanskrit)

      ~ ~ ~
      Regarding satsang and regarding ashram management:
      "Integration - cooperation in all things is good.
      Disintegration - with no cooperation things fall apart.
      Without integration, you don't deserve the Guru's grace."

      ~ ~ ~

      If you came to Maharaj-ji with an objective, He would not accept you. But if you
      were innocent and open and loving, He took you right in.

      ~ ~ ~

      If you invited Maharaj-ji to come to your home He might come, but not in His
      usual form. A man invited Maharaj-ji to a big party and Maharaj-ji did not
      attend. When the man saw Maharaj-ji again he said, "Maharaj-ji, why did you not
      come to my party?" Maharaj-ji said, "I did. I came as the dog. Why did to chase
      me away and turn me out of your home." Then the man remembered that, on the night
      of the party, a dog had entered the yard and he had angrily chased it away with a
      stick. You never know what form Maharaj-ji will take when He visits you.

      ~ ~ ~

      Maharaj-ji was living in a forest in Bihar. There was a report among the local
      people that Maharaj-ji had a lot of guns and ammunition there. When the police
      went there to investigate, they found only big bundles of sticks.

      How can I go about getting a letter of introduction to Maharaj-ji's ashram's in India?

      There is no one way to Maharaj-ji's ashrams. The principal reason that you would want a letter of introduction is so the people who run the ashrams in India know that you are aware of the etiquette, customs, and practices within these ashrams. At this time there is no answer to this question. It is all the lila of Maharaj-ji. A better answer to this question will be posted at a later date. The search for the answer will continue. Meanwhile, download the materials on the "Practice" page and after singing maybe a letter will just "appear when you need it."

      Well, so much for "Love Every One, Feed Every One." Unable to understand their Guru, his followers live in some vague atmosphere of the Guru's presence which is trusted to precipitate out the answers. Sure, that works. But it also works to just give the letter of introduction and get it over with. --Jerry, Highlights editor.