issue 1659-Saturday, December 27, 2003

  • Michael A. Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2003
      #1659 - Saturday, December 27, 2003 - Editor: michael

      I AM THAT

      "Spiritual maturity is being ready to let go everything. Giving up is a first step, but real giving-up is the insight that there's nothing to be given up, since nothing is your property."

      Nisargadatta

      A very nice page of Nisargadatta information: (has links to quotes, information etc.)

      http://www.prahlad.org/gallery/nisargadatta_maharaj.htm

      "Because of your existence, because you know that you are, you know also that the world is. So this consciousness, because of which you experience the world, is not unimportant; in fact, it is very important.

      So why not stabilize there? Meditate on that consciousness itself, and find out how this "I-am-ness" has appeared. What was its cause? And from what did this consciousness develop? Try to find out, go right to the source!"

      http://www.prahlad.org/gallery/consciousness_absolute.htm

      November 8, 1980

      Questioner: Why is it that we naturally seem to think of ourselves as separate individuals?

      Maharaj: Your thoughts about individuality are really not you own thoughts; they are all collective thoughts; they are all collective thoughts. You think that you are the one who has the thoughts; in fact thoughts arise in consciousness.

      As our spiritual knowledge grows, our identification with an individual body-mind diminishes, and our consciousness expands into universal consciousness. The life force continues to act, but its thought and actions are no longer limited to an individual. They become the total manifestation. It is like the action of the wind -- the wind doesn't blow for any particular individual, but for the total manifestation.

      Q: As an individual can we go back to the source?

      M: Not as an individual; the knowledge "I Am" must go back to its own source.

      Now, consciousness has identified with a form. Later, it understands that it is not that form and goes further. In a few cases it may reach the space, and very often, there it stops. In a very few cases, it reaches its real source, beyond all conditioning.

      It is difficult to give up that inclination of identifying the body as the self. I am not talking to an individual, I am talking to the consciousness. It is consciousness which must seek its source.

      Out of that no-being state comes the beingness. It comes as quietly as twilight, with just a feel of "I Am" and then suddenly the space is there. In the space, movement starts with the air, the fire, the water, and the earth. All these five elements are you only. Out of your consciousness all this has happened. There is no individual. There is only you, the total functioning is you, the consciousness is you.

      You are the consciousness, all the titles of the Gods are you names, but by clinging to the body you hand yourself over to time and death -- you are imposing it on yourself.

      I am the total universe. When I am the total universe I am in need of nothing because I am everything. But I cramped myself into a small thing, a body; I made myself a fragment and became needful. I need so many things as a body.

      In the absence of a body, do you, and did you, exist? Are you, and were you, there or not? Attain that state which is and was prior to the body. Your true nature is open and free, but you cover it up, you give it various designs.

      http://www.neti-neti.org/id_bk4.htm

      Enlightenment - What Happens When It Happens?

      Ramesh S. Balsekar
      "There was tremendous sense of Oneness, not only between Maharaj and myself, but a oneness with the whole existence, with Totality.
      There was a tremendous sense of oneness which, quite frankly, made words seem so unnecessary. That's why there was certain amount of impatience to get done with the talk. Words seemed so unnecessary.
      It is there!
      At the same time, I had the reluctant wish that someone else was translating. For then I wouldn't have needed to do the translations, and I could have been exclusively in the experience, without doing a job at the same time."

      Henry Swift
      "I intended to stand up from my seat. At this moment, something happened which I can only describe with a smile. I felt as if an avalanche was coming down over me and was about to bury me.
      Then, I felt myself drowning, as if I was drowning. I couldn't breathe anymore. I was just paning. It happened at a time when there were no expectations anymore."

      Marc Beuret
      "I was filled and over come by the feeling of a very intense or dense presence. Along with that presence, the deepest possible intuitive knowing came into existence that there is nothing but That.
      At the same time, it was known that all phenomena, all things perceived, are just an illusion, and nothing other than That.
      I don't know what happened, or how the occurrence came about, or what his presence was. I don't even want to know.
      And I don't care. It was so simple and natural. There was no exalted feeling of ecstasy or joy. There were no tears, no thunder and lightning; there was just awareness and certitude, and the feeling of peace and love."

      Margarete Beuret
      "It was the moment in which the disciple came to the Master without any expectation or imagination. The mind was totally empty, and the heart was full of love. In this moment it happened that the Satguru showered his love on the disciple. And that was the extinction of the last minute tinge, the unveiling was complete."

      Elke von der Osten
      "All there is, is God! It doesn't matter! It really doesn't matter! There is no better and there is no worse, it just is! There is just nothing, it just is!
      I was always seeking for something better! I can't believe it! Oh, God! There is no such thing as enlightenment! Oh, God! There is so much energy, and freedom! And relief, and and absolute love, just love. Not directed to anyone, it is just there. It is so simple! It is so simple!"

      Wayne Liquorman
      "My body was convulsing in horrendous waves of sadness. I felt myself drowned into this huge, immense pit of suffering. I was falling into a abyss of horrendous pain. Yet there was no resistance to it. Something had let go. The suffering and pain could not hurt me because its reality was not connected to who I truly was."

      Close Encounters of the Advaita Kind

      The Euphoric Nihilism of Ramesh Balsekar
      by Chris Parish

      editor's note: the interview is from What Is Enlightenment magazine.Due to the length of the article it is not copied here.

      Seeker

      If both dream and escape from dream are imaginings, what is the way out?

      Maharaj

      There is no need of a way out! Don't you see that a way out is also part of the dream? All you have to do is to see the dream as dream.

      Seeker

      If I start the practice of dismissing everything as a dream, where will it lead me?

      Maharaj

      Wherever it leads you, it will be a dream. The very idea of going beyond the dream is illusory. Why go anywhere? Just realize that you are dreaming a dream you call the world, and stop looking for ways out. The dream is not your problem. Your problem is that you like one part of the dream and not another. When you have seen the dream as a dream, you have done all that needs be done.

      Copyright © 1999 Advaita Fellowship
      http://www.advaita.org/

      Random quotes from I Am That:

      Q: But you already told me that I am the Supreme Reality. Is it not self-knowledge?

      M: Of course you are the  Supreme Reality! But what of it? Every grain of sand is God; to know it is important, but that is only the beginning.

      -------------------------
      M: It is your fixed idea that you must be something or other that blinds you.

      Q: What am I if not human?

      M: That which makes you think you are human is not human. IT is but a dimensionless point of conciousness, a concious nothing; all you can say about yourself is: 'I am.' You are pure being -awareness- bliss. To realize that is the end of all seeking.
      (full quote on pp 316)

      M: Nothing can make you happier than you are. All search for happiness is misery and leads to more misery. The only happiness woth the name is the natural happiness of concious being.

      Q: Then why are we not free here and now?

      M: But we are free 'here and now.' It is onlly the mind that imagines bondage.