#1651 Friday December 19, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2003
      Everything is Waiting for You -- David Whyte

      EVERYTHING IS WAITING FOR YOU
      (After Derek Mahon)

      Your great mistake is to act the drama
      as if you were alone.  As if life
      were a progressive and cunning crime
      with no witness to the tiny hidden
      transgressions.  To feel abandoned is to deny
      the intimacy of your surroundings.  Surely,
      even you, at times, have felt the grand array;
      the swelling presence, and the chorus, crowding
      out your solo voice.  You must note
      the way the soap dish enables you,
      or the window latch grants you freedom.
      Alertness is the hidden discipline of familiarity.
      The stairs are your mentor of things
      to come, the doors have always been there
      to frighten you and invite you,
      and the tiny speaker in the phone
      is your dream-ladder to divinity.

      Put down the weight of your aloneness and ease into
      the conversation.  The kettle is singing
      even as it pours you a drink, the cooking pots
      have left their arrogant aloofness and
      seen the good in you at last.  All the birds
      and creatures of the world are unutterably
      themselves.  Everything is waiting for you.

      ~ David Whyte ~

      (Everything is Waiting for You)

      #1651 Friday December 19, 2003 ~ Editor: Gloria

      THERE IS NOTHING BEAUTIFUL IN LIFE EXCEPT LIFE.
      -- Wallace Stevens

      Emanations

      There is a critical mass of spiritual awareness which, when we reach
      it, will spread into the world like a chain reaction, altering human
      consciousness like never before.

      Unfortunately, no one knows what the number actually is, whether it
      is an obscure mystical fraction, or perhaps a simple majority. But
      there is no doubt that spirituality is contagious, that love can
      spread like a blossoming springtime.

      Lyell Watson told the story of the Hundredth Monkey in his book
      Lifetide. It was an experiment in the 50's that actually never
      happened. But the story is told again and again. The story is that
      after one hundred monkeys on an island learned to wash the dirt off
      of potatoes that the monkeys on other islands spontaneously began
      washing their potatoes too, with no physical contact with any of the
      original hundred monkeys.

      As with many stories, the story is spiritually true, but not actually
      physically true.

      We keep searching for scientific information to support spiritual
      notions. Some of the stories and theories are exaggerated and
      distorted. Some people seem to need the miraculous and will go to any
      lengths to invent it if it's not readily available.

      It really is a shame to have to go so far to find the miraculous when
      it is a continuum right before our very eyes. Existence itself is a
      miracle. How we could even be is incomprehensible. Then we look at
      life growing and blooming, flying, singing all around us, the beauty
      and energy of a child, nature, the wind, the sun, the rain.

      There is certainly a critical mass within each of us that tips us
      individually in the direction of the divine. Hermes said that one ray
      of the light of Atum was sufficient to lift the spirit of the true
      seeker. One smile of a granddaughter.

      I let go of trying to save the entire human race. I am the critical
      mass for universal enlightenment.

      Emanations
      Copyright © 2003  by John MacEnulty
      12/19/2003, St. Louis, MO

      Morning Zen

      He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare,
      And he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere.
      -- Ali ibn-Abi-Talib (602 AD - 661 AD)

      Lisbeth ~ SufiMystic

      *

      PROMISES

      Visions better than drugs haven't come.
      Intelligence exceeding genius hasn't come.
      Titanic strength hasn't come.
      Beauty to attract lovers hasn't come.
      Visitations from gods haven't come.
      Freedom from weariness hasn't come.
      An end to vexing annoyances hasn't come.
      Great wealth hasn't come.
      Fame hasn't come.
      Unlimited understanding of others hasn't come.
      Supernatural powers haven't come.
      The skill to spontaneously heal hasn't come.
      The gift of prophesy hasn't come.

      None of these things have come,
      Yet I would not forsake this spiritual path.

      All sorts of things are promised to you as a seeker of
      spirituality. Yet when these things don't come, does that
      mean that you should forsake your path? Spirituality is not
      a transaction with the universe. It is an endeavor that we
      take up because it is our ultimate mode of being. If we get
      nothing for it, we should not be bothered. Who cares about
      powers? They only lead to temptation. Those who follow Tao
      should care only for inner understanding.

      promises
      365 Tao
      Deng Ming-Dao
      Daily Meditations

      this meditation and larger version of the artwork is
      archived at
      http://www.duckdaotsu.org/promises12.html

      *Title: Two Scholars Walking
      Artist: Chang Dao Shin

      We are all caught up
      in an inescapable network
      of mutuality...

      Martin Luther King, Jr.

      Tiep Hien - The Order of Interbeing

      One meaning of the word tiep is "being in touch with." What are we to be in touch with? The answer is reality, the reality of the world and the reality of the mind.

      To be in touch with the mind means to be aware of the processes of our inner life-feelings, perceptions, mental formations-and also to rediscover our true mind, which is the wellspring of understanding and compassion. . . To be in touch with the reality of the world means to be in touch with everything that is around us in the animal, vegetable, and mineral realms.

      If we want to be in touch, we have to get out of our shell and look clearly and deeply at the wonders of life-the snowflakes, the moonlight, the songs of the birds, the beautiful flowers-and also the suffering-hunger, disease, torture, and oppression. Overflowing with understanding and compassion, we can appreciate the wonders of life, and at the same time, act with the firm resolve to alleviate the suffering.

      One meaning of the word hien is to realize or realization. Hien means not to dwell or be caught in the world of doctrines and ideas, but to bring and express our insights into real life. First of all, realization means transforming ourselves. If we wish to share calmness and serenity, we should first realize these qualities within ourselves. Working to help people who are hungry or sick means to be peaceful and loving during that work. Hien means making it real here and now.

      http://www.iamhome.org/oi.html#th

      Mace Mealer ~ Dzogchen

      Look it up,
      Look it down,
      examine it from all sides round.
      Use that magic frontal lobe,
      and shake it like a snowy globe.
      It's rarely what you know and think,
      so take it with a smile and wink.
      And if you wonder if you're lost
      you're where the Fates have had you tossed.
      Asking questions is just fine,
      but how can answers be in time?
      When can one become the two
      before or after it is due?
      When can two become the one
      before or after they are done?

      "in the experience of yogins who do not perceive things
      dualistically, the fact that things manifest without truly existing
      is so amazing, they burst out in laughter"
      --Longchenpa. (from The Choying Dzod)

      SkyDancer ~ Dzogchen

      Just discovered this Dutch web site
      with many, many Buddhist films
      available for download.
      [I just discovered this and have not
      actually downloaded anything yet.]
      http://www.omroep.nl/boeddhisticheomroep/

      14 - 10 - 2001THE SPIRIT OF TIBET

      A film by the French monk and internationally renowned photographer Matthieu Ricard, author of the book 'The Monk and the Philosopher'. The film is about his Tibetan teacher, H.H. Kyabjé Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. He was the Dzogchen teacher of the Dalai Lama and the teacher of many of the present generation of Tibetan teachers; both literally and figuratively a giant. Matthieu Ricard has always served as his secretary, and is also the official translator of HH the Dalai Lama. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche visited the Western world several times and has many Western students. Those who have met him, acknowledge him as a fully realized person. The film contains rare and authentic footage from the fifties and the sixties of Buddhist dances and rituals.

      Editors note: This film is like being transported into Tibetan culture, just beautiful.
      It plays on RealOne, with a choice of slow or fast connection. Go into archive section and scroll almost to the bottom, going to the date given. The films are narrated or spoken in English with Dutch subtitles. ( I also watched the one about Philip Glass for 1 - 9 - 2001, which has his music plus some of Tibetan monks blowing those long horns.) The films average a half hour, so go when you have the time, but just looking at the list of titles, this site is a terrific resource. -Gloria

      H.H. Kyabjé Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

      image from