#1641 - Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2003

      #1641 - Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Ben Hassine
      NDS

      *

      The Heyoka is a sacred fool, a clown with a great deal of power. The "contrary", the person who does everything backwards. They are yin and yang, sorrow and laughter, good and bad all rolled into one. They are one of the most important of the Medicine People in the Lakota Nation. Usually Heyokas’ are men but some women have Heyoka inside them and therefore must become a Heyoka.

      The Heyoka’s power comes from the Great Winged Ones, which the whites call Thunderbirds. They have control over the weather and certain sicknesses. They are "Thunder dreamers" and once you have a dream of thunder or lighting you become one of these contraries- whether you want to or not.

      The Heyoka has strange and enormous powers even though they make everyone laugh with their backwards behavior. There is a great reverence and fear of the Heyokas as their contrary behavior is intimidating to most people and you never know what they are going to do next.

      The Heyoka’s power is usually used for good but because they are Heyoka one never knows.

      The scoop from Ben and Jerry

      Jerry,

      Once you wrote Umba was wearing his shoes with heels to the front, the other way around so to speak. Maybe he was some kind of Heyoka?

      Ben

      Hi Ben,

      That's interesting. ... At one point years ago I came across the interpretation of wearing shoes backward as symbolic for destruction. The power of Umba (a visionary being who came to me when I was a kid) was that he uttered a mantra, which represented creation, and wore shoes backward, clomping noisily in them, which represented destruction. Yet his coutenance and body were very strict, solid and in place, which represented the maintenance quality of existence. So he was a holistic characterization. The Heyoka also served to make his society holistic.

      Now the other visionary character that was with Umba, was totally relaxed and almost laughing at Umba. To me he represented what was beyond existence, or nondual reality, although as a kid I didn't have the words for it, but I felt it. The 'fool' quality of Heyoka might represent the nature of the guy who was with Umba.

      Anyone could ask what the Heyoka in their life is. It's that expression of existence-energy that gives wholeness, thereby making life properly livable, while also providing the door to understanding what wholeness is, in case anyone who wishes to go more deeply into the nature of existence.

      I don't imagine one's Heyoka is hard to find. It's not really necessary to 'use' anyone else's Heyoka. Those who push their Heyoka on the world aren't doing anyone a favor. Yet it's probably okay to remind people they have an Heyoka.

      Jerry

      Daily Dharma

      ”Those who recite many scriptures but fail to practice their teachings are like a cowherds counting another’s cows.  The do not share in the joys of the spiritual life.  But those who know few scriptures yet practice their teachings, overcoming all lust, hatred, and delusion, live with a pure mind in the highest wisdom.  The stand without external supports and share in the joys of the spiritual life.”

      ~~ The Dhammapada

      From the book, "The Dhammapada,” translated by Eknath Easwaran, and published by Nilgiri Press

      The Other Syntax

      "I'm an Indian and we Indians have always been humble and have
      done nothing else but lower our heads.  I thought humbleness was not
      in the warrior's way.  I was wrong!  I know now that the humbleness
      of a warrior is not the humbleness of a beggar.

         "The warrior lowers his head to no one, but at the same time, he
      doesn't permit anyone to lower his head to him.  The beggar, on the
      other hand, falls to his knees at the drop of a hat and scrapes the
      floor for anyone he deems to be higher; but at the same time, he
      demands that someone lower than him scrape the floor for him.

         "You like the humbleness of a beggar," he said softly.  "You bow
      your head to reason."

      An Appointment with Knowledge
      TALES OF POWER
      Carlos Castaneda

      Bob

      NDS

      Serial Killer or Serial Coder? You be the judge

      The faster you go, the better you'll do...
      http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/killerquiz/

      Jerry

      It's true. If you go with your very first impression without thinking or figuring, you'll do well. And if you can see where the thinking and figuring starts, then you've honed in on another photo: the photo of  thought. Is it a programmer or a serial killer?

      Jerry

      Gill Eardley
      Allspirit Inspiration

      Each man has only one genuine vocation ~
        to find the way to himself.
        His task is to discover his own destiny ~ not an arbitrary one ~
        and live it out wholly and resolutely within himself.
        Everything else is only a would-be existence,
        an attempt at evasion,
        a flight back to the ideals of the masses, conformity;
        and fear of one's inwardness.
      ~ Hermann Hesse

      Humanitate
      NDS

      Hello Salon:

      I have a question for you guys. Who would you say is an enlightened
      guru living NOW...on the level of Nisargadatta or Ramana????

      Maybe Eckhart Tolle?????Nome?????etc.etc.??????

      Remember they are living NOW

      thanks,

      Humanitate

      JP

      Hello H,

      I would say it's the talking Gerbil.

      For sure.

      The talking Gerbil is a real killer. He belongs to
      the living lineage of rude, loud, foul-mouthed Naths.

      Just like ole Nisargadatta.

      The talking Gerbil will cast(e) your illusions aside.

      Here, now:

      http://www.joecartoon.com/pages/mantra/

      Last Train Home

      There are no enlightened living gurus...no sages....there never has
      been such a thing.

      Ramana and Nisargadatta were manifestations through which All-That-Is
      sings to itself.

      If All-That-Is wants you to travel the world looking for your
      self....that will happen.

      .....but there is nothing to find "out there".......and no one to
      find it........no teacher can help you........You Alone Are!

      Harsha
      NDS

      There is this place I go to sometimes.

      All you can eat.

      Last year it was 5 dollars.

      Now it has gone up to 6 dollars and 50 cents.

      They have everything.

      Broccoli, tomatoes, hummus, tofu, pizza, international foods, soda,
      milk, desserts, etc.

      I used to go often but after a month would gain 5-10-15 pounds.

      Now I go sometimes and am more careful.

      Has anyone studied the psychology of "all you can eat places?"

      Do such places exist in other countries besides the U.S.?

      One can sit for hours there and simply keep eating.

      You only pay once.

      Then, its all you can eat.

      It is very close to being enlightened.

      One always feels full and yet empty.

      The distinction between inside and outside is lost.

      Food appears both within and without.

      One gains in stature and weight.

      Jerry

      I love all you can eats. Sizzler used to be real good. I don't know what
      they're like now. There was a place in Albuquerque called Panchos. All the
      Mexican food you can eat for 99 cents. I was in college and we would sit for
      literally hours. If you wanted more food you would raise a little flag at
      your table and the waitress would come by and ask what you wanted. You
      didn't even have to get up and go to the buffet table. There was another all
      you can eat chicken place in Albuquerque we used to go to. It was part of a
      motel. Years later I read that Bill Gates lived there for a while. So maybe
      I used to eat with Bill Gates. There was another 99 cent all you can eat in
      Santa Monica in the late 60's; all the ribs you could eat for 99 cents plus
      all the salads, desserts, and so on. There's a small and nice all you can
      eat Chinese place in Halifax where I meet Dustin from time to time. It's
      small and the waitresses are girls you'd want to marry, real nice, pretty,
      and down home. We like the ginger chicken and at the end of the meal scooped ice cream, all we can eat. What was your question, Harsha?

      Jackie Mason on Starbucks

      You want coffee in a coffee shop, that's 60 cents. But at Starbucks,Cafe
      Latte: $3.50. Cafe Creamier: $4.50. Cafe Suisse: $9.50. For each French
      word, another four dollars.

      Why does a little cream in coffee make it worth $3.50? Go into any coffee
      shop; they'll give you all the cream you want until you're blue in the face.
      Forty-million people are walking around in coffee shops with jars of cream:
      "Here's all the cream you want!" And it's still 60 cents. You know why?
      Because it's called "coffee." If it's Cafe Latte $4.50.

      You want cinnamon in your coffee? Ask for cinnamon in a coffee shop; they'll
      give you all the cinnamon you want. Do they ask you for more money because
      it's cinnamon? It's the same price for cinnamon in your coffee as for coffee
      without cinnamon - 60 cents, that's it. But not in Starbucks. Over here,
      it's Cinnamonnier - $9.50.

      You want a refill in a regular coffee shop, they'll give you all the refills
      you want until you drop dead. You can come in when you're 27 and keep
      drinking coffee until you're 98. And they'll start begging you: "Here, you
      want more coffee, you want more, you want more?" Do you know that you can't get a refill at Starbucks? A refill is a dollar fifty. Two refills, $4.50.
      Three refills, $19.50. So, for four cups of coffee -- $35.00. And it's burnt
      coffee. It's burnt coffee at Starbucks, let's be honest about it. If you get
      burnt coffee in a coffee shop, you call a cop. You say, "It's the bottom of
      the pot. I don't drink from the bottom of the pot. But when it's burnt at
      Starbucks, they say,"Oh, it's a blend. It's a blend." It's a special bean
      from Argentina....." The bean is in your head.

      And there're no chairs in those Starbucks. Instead, they have these high
      stools. You ever see these stools? You haven't been on a chair that high
      since you were two. Seventy-three year old Jews are climbing and climbing to
      get to the top of the chair. And when they get tothe top, they can't even
      drink the coffee because there's 12 people around one little table, and
      everybody's saying, "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me..... Then
      they can't get off the chair. Old Jews are begging Gentiles, "Mister, could
      you get me off this?"

      Do you remember what a cafeteria was? In poor neighborhoods all over this
      country, they went to a cafeteria because there were no waiters and no
      service. And so poor people could save money on a tip. Cafeterias didn't
      have regular tables or chairs either. They gave coffee to you in a cardboard
      cup. So because of that you paid less for the coffee. You got less, so you
      paid less. It's all the same at Starbucks - no chairs, no service, a
      cardboard cup for your coffee-except in Starbucks, the less you get, the
      more it costs. By the time they give you nothing, it's worth four times as
      much. Am I exaggerating?

      Did you ever try to buy a cookie in Starbucks? Buy a cookie in a regular
      coffee shop. You can tear down a building with that cookie. And the whole
      cookie is 60 cents. At Starbucks, you're going to have to hire a detective
      to find that cookie, and it's $9.50. And you can't put butter on it because
      they want extra. Do you know that if you buy a bagel, you pay extra for
      cream cheese in Starbucks? Cream cheese, another 60 cents. A knife to put it
      on, 32 cents. If it reaches the bagel, 48 cents. That bagel costs you $3.12.
      And they don't give you the butter or the cream cheese. They don't give it
      to you. They tell you where it is. "Oh, you want butter? It's over there.
      Cream cheese? Over here. Sugar? Sugar is here." Now you become your own
      waiter. You walk around with a tray. "I'll take the cookie. Where's the
      butter? The butter's here. Where's the cream cheese? The cream cheese is
      there." You walked around for an hour and a half selecting items, and then
      the guy at the cash register has a glass in front of him that says "Tips."
      You're waiting on tables for an hour, and you owe him money.

      Then there's a sign that says please clean it up when you're finished. They
      don't give you a waiter or a busboy. Now you've become the janitor. Now you
      have to start cleaning up the place. Old Jews are walking around cleaning up
      Starbucks. "Oh, he's got dirt too? Wait, I'll clean this up." They clean up
      the place for an hour and a half. If I said to you, "I have a great idea for
      a business. I'll open a whole new type of a coffee shop. Instead of 60 cents
      for coffee I'll charge $2.50, $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50. Not only that, I'll
      have no tables, no chairs, no water, no busboy, and you'll clean it up for
      20 minutes after you're finished."

      Would you say to me, "That's the greatest idea for a business I ever heard!
      We can open a chain of these all over the world!" No, you would put me right
      into a sanitarium. Starbucks can only get away with it because they have
      French titles for everything, Nazi bastard sons-of-a-bitches. And I say this
      with the highest respect, because I don't like to talk about people.

      --- Jackie Mason

      Harsha
      NDS

      I saw this somewhere, maybe Readers Digest.

      This lady had been reading a book in her hotel room.

      In the morning she left and went to the Airport to catch her flight.

      Realizing that the book was missing, she frantically called the hotel.

      "Please, I need that book back! Whatever you have to do, find it!"

      The hotel manager assured her that the staff would do their best.

      "I must have that book," she cried.

      "Sure, sure, we will look for it."

      "What is the name of it madam," asked the manager.

      "It is called, 'Don't sweat the small stuff!'" said the lady.

      We write what we see or know, best we can. And others get impressions.
      Whether those impressions are positive or negative is only the concern of
      the person having the impression. They're responsible for it. I'm not
      responsible for anyone's impression. I am responsible for communicating
      accurately and fully, though I'm not sure that's always done.

      Jerry