Highlights, Saturday, Nov. 13

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 1999

      and yet I do not care.

      Bleeding, lifeless, with no more
      will to struggle

      for a freedom
      I cannot imagine,

      stillness surrounds me
      like vultures waiting for supper.

      ERIC

      ...And breaking that ice, smashing right through,
      *I* gladly dine on cadavers' substance,
      Gladly dine on *you*

      Bleed, bleed it all!!!

      Freeheart.

      LARRY

      Dear All,

      LOOK at every state of mind as it arises.
      SEE that you are not that.
      KNOW that you are only awareness (of that).
      type on, Larry--not here, not now

      XAN

      Stop looking at yourself
      Stop looking at another

      What remains?

      Each of us has our challenges of mind and emotion. Some are
      more obvious than others, some more complex. The real game
      is solitaire - just you in the human story coming home to
      the simplicity of You.

      ERIC

      Wow! It is amazing how there is no hidden laundry, What a
      thing Here! Jerry, Maybe Tim's authenticity in giving his
      all, no matter how unrefined, or culturally
      *unenlightened*,... in other words:
      His being with who he is, is difficult for all to handle.

      Seems like 'the' hot potato, but thank goodness, no one's
      dropped it.

      I personally wish Tim omnipresence, to hear all these words,
      for his most humble gift to all. He's already offered:
      Satsangh with Tim. Now who's humble enough to sit, or even
      to report on that?

      If it is to be held, it must first be swallowed.

      Freeheart

      ANDREW

      If this was a game between Petros and Tim, and a game with
      mirrors as was pointed out, which seems accurate, since each
      was turning the others aggression back against himself, then
      the ultimate goal must be not to defeat the opponent, but to
      see the opponent as oneself. The game is won if the
      doublesided mirror breaks and each player sees his own true
      face looking back at him instead of the reflection of his
      own projection.

      LYNNE
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      USELESSNESS

      An ancient gnarled tree:
      Too fibrous for a logger's saw, Too twisted to fit a
      carpenter's square, Outlasts the whole forest.

      Loggers delight in straight-grained, strong, fragrant wood.
      If the timber is too difficult to cut, too twisted to be
      made straight, too foul-odored for cabinets, and too spongy
      for firewood, it is left alone. Useful trees are cut down.
      Useless ones survive.

      The same is true of people. The strong are conscripted.
      The beautiful are exploited. Those who are too plain to be
      noticed are the ones who survive.
      They are left along and safe.

      But what if we ourselves are among such plain people?
      Though others may neglect us, we should not think of
      ourselves as being without value. We must not accept the
      judgment of others as the measure of our own self-worth.
      Instead, we shoud live our lives in simplicity.

      Surely, we will have flaws, but we must take stock in them
      according to our own judgment and then use them as a measure
      of self-improvement. Since we need not expend energy in
      putting on airs or maintaining a position, we are actually
      free to cultivate the best parts of our personalities.

      Thus, to be considered useless is not a reason for despair,
      but an opportunity. It is the chance to live without
      interference and to express one's own individuality.

      ----------------------------------

      >From "365 Tao: Daily Meditations," (c) 1992 by Deng Ming-Dao

      SKYE

      Anger still arises in me too, but so rarely now and when it
      does i immediately look for its source which is usually some
      impatience or frustration at not getting the understanding
      or thing i want NOW. A momentary baby tantrum which makes
      me mentally laugh. Simultaneously i feel the dagger of it
      in my own heart which wipes the smile of my face! so i
      dissolve it promptly. It all happens in a nanosecond.

      I don't have the mechanism to hold anger any longer, just
      the ghost of a trigger remains. I have naughtily used that
      trigger to feign anger to diffuse someone's growing
      irrationality like a bolt of electricity, as a last resort.
      Its an artificially charged anger, a spark that i am not
      moved by it at all, its purpose is to bring peace. It lasts
      a split second and it is expelled mainly through my eyes and
      voice with intensely intergrated force. I am extremely
      careful with it. I slam on the breaks with highly
      concentrated calm immediately after. Whoever i'm diffusing
      is usually struck dumb. A bit like a mel gibsons fake
      madness attack. They're so astounded they forget *they*
      were the one losing it. My return to stability is so
      immediate and complete they can't continue their
      irrationality. Then we can get down to discussing the
      difficulties calmly, rejoice and continue playing together.

      Applied non-duality has stabilized my temperament so much
      that i'm a curiosity to my colleagues. They hang out to see
      a mood swing but it never happens. (the above has only ever
      happened in private personal confrontations). In the depths
      of my being i feel as though i am in a constant prayer of
      peace. I first became aware of it around 7yrs old, when a
      sunday school priest pulled me aside as we were filling into
      church, saying - as though it was important to mention "you
      are most fortunate, you have been blessed with a very happy
      spirit". Maybe it reinforced something, who knows, i've
      often wondered how it was visible in one so young. As i
      grew older i realized he had seen something few people i
      meet have. My inner prayer for peace carries with it an
      enormous gratitude and love for life and has brought me
      tremendous happiness, which i share with everyone i meet.

      LARRY

      I've been trying to sort out a muddle that's been in my mind
      for a long time. It's a muddle between yogacara and
      madyamika, awareness and emptiness, and it goes like this.
      Emptiness (I think?) is The Leap Of Synthesis. By that I
      mean if you put two things together, any two things. you
      get something else. A thing is not only more than the sum
      of its parts; it is OTHER than the sum of its parts. But it
      is dependent on the sum of its parts. Somehow or another
      this must apply to both physics and perception. Now the
      Doctors Of Emptiness say that awareness is empty, meaning it
      is synthetic. The Doctors of Awareness also say awareness
      is empty. But they mean awareness is empty of
      phenomenality, it has no parts. Therefore, there is a
      distinct difference of meaning of "emptiness" as it applies
      to awareness. Is this correct? Is there a doctor in the
      house?

      XAN

      Dear Larry

      No doctor, just patience.

      First of all - 'muddle' is a symptom of a condition common
      to humans called "Trying to understand conceptually that
      which is non-conceptual." Treatment:
      Stop.

      Secondly - Applying a program to physics and perception will
      have no effect whatever on awareness itself. (Of course,
      neither does anything else.)

      Third - The terms "awareness" and "emptiness" are both
      attempts to point to essential reality which is undefinable.
      Any attempt to explain the nature of Beingness will result
      in discomfort known as "a rash on the mind" - an
      unscratchable itch.

      The only cure is to stop everything.

      Side effects of this cure have been reported as:
      peace that passeth understanding laughter for no reason at
      all love being Beingness

      JAN

      My unwritten course in applied nonduality says:
      Procedure Sat_Cit_Ananda
      1. Don't blame, don't forgive.
      2. When angry, pet the cat or go for a walk.
      3. Any stimulus generating an undesirable reaction is a
      reminder of incomplete transformation so practice
      transformation with zeal; surrender.
      4. Goto 1. until 3. no longer applies
      5. ++++ Unconditional Sat_Cit_Ananda +++++

      SKYE

      An unwritten course in applied nonduality, huh, cute.
      On re-reading what i have written i think a lot of you may
      be familiar with what i am about to share. And the ego
      traps it can bring of course :-).

      JAN

      Is has to remain unwritten because everything that is
      written down as a seeming set of rules or principles will
      degenerate into blind beliefs or mechanics if the originator
      no longer is around to clarify things. Simple as it seems,
      obvious ego traps will be revealed easily :). For instance
      when blaming behavioral weirdness on upbringing, one is
      blaming already and when apologizing, one is blaming
      oneself. Which only leaves to express things "as perceived"
      instead of "as interpreted". When this "peel of the onion"
      has disappeared, another layer follows like for instance the
      influence of "things as perceived / conditions of living" on
      mood or "outlook of life".

      In general, many living in Western type of society don't
      have an idea what the potential to suffer can bring as a
      result of "conditions of living".

      When a Westerner is physically or psychically suffering and
      no improvement is possible, there is the option of the early
      escape from life whether prohibited or not. Persons having
      suffered severely from abuse will probably have considered
      the option at least once. For good reasons, one of my
      dictums is "things can always get worse" and that was
      referring to the fact that probably nothing is "worse" that
      taking leave from life. But it CAN get worse...

      Once in a bar at Ribeira Grande, a little girl about 10
      years old entered.
      Her face was wearing an expression of agony and her eyes
      were like black holes of grief from where no escape is
      possible. The bartender immediately bought a bushel of
      herbs from her and without saying a word, she hastily left.
      I asked the bartender for an explanation and he said
      (expressed in my words):" Once a week, on Saturday, those
      who have nothing, go on a tour of begging and even the poor
      will give what they can miss. The mother of the little girl
      died recently, she doesn't know her father, she doesn't have
      family living here and now she has to take care of all her
      younger sisters and brothers." This little girl doesn't even
      have the option of an early escape; the responsibility she
      feels for brothers and sisters is a burden that won't end
      and when she will be about 14, there is no choice but to
      offer her body to the first man who promises to take care of
      her and her family. Without children of her own, no one
      will take care of her when old.
      In continental Africa, due to aids, the above story is a
      frequent one.

      The potential to suffer is also one of those "peels of the
      onion" and a very tough one. It is a collective to which
      can be added (violence) and subtracted (nirvana).

      ANDREW

      I've heard it said that life keeps on teaching the same
      lesson over and over until you learn it. Failure to practise
      yama (restraint) results in slavery to the cycle of birth
      and death, with rebirth into the lowest of states.

      "Insanity is universal. Sanity is rare." Nisargadatta

      CHRISTIANA

      what if:
      those within this community who have the aperture of their
      'lens of perception' so honed to this list that they are
      reacting/responding daily (or 10 times daily)

      were to:
      relax their field..
      breath into spaciousness...
      observe the responsive habit pattern, yet were to restrain
      from writing for, say a week or so.
      deepen observation of the force behind the habit 'abide'

      what if:
      from the Silence held by the 150 other members.. a new
      landscape emerged

      PHIL

      Good evening, everyone. I have a new website feature to
      announce.

      It is called 'Being the Ocean.' It is a written 'meditation'
      in hypertext and under construction. Hypertext is a way of
      reading something the way one normally browses the web.
      Various keywords in the text are linked to other pages.

      It is under construction. There are only two pages there
      now. If you want to you can bookmark and come back now and
      then to see the changes. I plan on adding and updating on a
      daily basis. (Good way to hone writing skills).

      http://www.well.com/~phi/bto0001.html

      Hope you enjoy.

      ------------------------------------------------------------------------Nonnduality
      Salon Website has been updated.

      The following URL links to the pages mentioned below:

      http://www.nonduality.com/new.htm

      November 13, 1999

      Linked Bruce Morgen's listing to his new website. Bruce is
      the number one person behind the scenes to provide ideas and
      information for this website. There are many others. I
      will make a greater effort to acknowledge everyone. I'm
      also bound to forget to acknowledge. If I do, please send
      me a note so I can make it up to you.

      Added original writings to the bottom of M's webpage.

      Added William James to Greg Goode's Non-dualism and Western
      Philosophers page.

      Added Sages and Buddhas Chat Community to Nonduality Lists
      page. Thanks to OmShanti

      Added link to Inner Directions' Gathering 2000: Pathways to
      Awakening on the Home Page. Thanks to Rob Rabbin for the
      info.

      Added Eckhart Tolle | William Samuel | Maitreya | Jim
      Dreaver to the Realizer/Confessors List. Thanks to Sandy
      Jones and Judas Thomas and others on the Nonduality Salon
      mailing list.

      This concludes the chapter on Don Quixote. Thanks again to
      Bob Bays.

      ZEN IN ENGLISH LITERATURE (1941)

      R.H. BLYTH

      Selections from Chapter 14: Don Quixote (concluded)

      Yet Cervantes does not commit the error of making Don
      Quixote superhuman. He is a man of like passions with
      ourselves, who feels the pangs of hunger and the smaller
      pains of the body. Like Christ, he is often peevish,
      unreasonable, expecting too much of human nature, and
      himself finds often that discretion is the better part of
      valor. Yet for all he can say of himself, as Christ also
      could have said, a wilful wrong

      "voluntarily and knowingly I never committed to anyone."
      (Part One Ch. 47).

      Among many others, there is one especial point of
      resemblance between Don Quixote and Blake. Just as in his
      visions Blake saw and talked with many of the ancient
      worthies, so Don Quixote describes the face, figure and
      character of the persons of the Romances:

      "'This is another mistake,' replied Don Quixote, 'into which
      many have fallen, not believing that such knights-errant
      ever existed in this world. The truth is as certain that I
      may say I have seen Amadis of Gaul with those my own eyes.
      He was of great stature, fair of face, a well-clipped
      beard,...his face at once fierce and gently, of few words,
      slow to anger and easily pacified.'"

      A small but interesting example of Sancho's Zen, quite
      accidental and natural, of course, but none the less the
      real thing, is given in the 2nd Part of Don Quixote, Chapter
      28, after Sancho has been soundly beaten in the previous
      chapter, by the townsmen of Reloxa. The pain is so great
      that he turns on his master and for a whole page pours out a
      torrent of vituperation on his own folly for following him,
      with no profit and every kind of loss imaginable. Don
      Quixote then says (remember this is the Don Quixote of the
      Second Part who is here simply Cervantes speaking,)

      "'I'll wager,' said Don Quixote, 'that at this moment while
      you are going on like this at pleasure, that you don't feel
      a bit of pain anywhere.'"

      We feel pain when we think of it; while we forget it, from
      danger, anger, or any other reason, we feel no pain
      whatever. So Blake says,

      "The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of
      instruction."

      It was the power of Zen that enabled Latimer to "receive the
      flame as it were embracing him. After he had stroked his
      face with his hands, and (as it were) bathed them a little
      in the fire, he soon died (as it appeared) with very little
      pain or none." It was the power of Zen that enabled Drake to
      finish his game of bowls and then defeat the Armada.

      The humour of Don Quixote, its pathos, -- in what does it
      consist? Lockhart says:

      "He is the type of a more universal madness -- he is the
      symbol of Imagination continually struggling and contrasted
      with Reality -- he represents the eternal warfare between
      Enthusiasm and Necessity -- the eternal discrepancy between
      the aspirations and the occupations of Man -- the
      omnipotence and the vanity of human dreams."

      With such a view of life, a kind of spiritual
      Zoroastrianism, we can understand nothing at all. We cannot
      understand the spider catching the fly, the shining of the
      sun, the fall of the spow, -- not even the simplest things
      are comprehensible by this kind of dualism, let alone such a
      lofty creation as Don Quixote.

      Once we divide the world into ideal and real, imagination
      and reality, everything becomes a meaningless struggle,
      there is no central unity to be seen, it is simply a vast
      tragedy of Nature making a fool of Man. The humour of Don
      Quixote is the contrast between Reality and Unreality,
      between the ideals (that is to say the vision of Truth, the
      apprehension of Eternal values,) and the inadequate methods
      of Don Quixote takes to put them into practice. It is a
      contrast between Wisdom and Folly, between Perfection of
      motive and Imperfection of means, between good aims and bad
      judgement.

      Notice that these opposites are not dualistic in character,
      though they sound so. Reality and Unreality, Wisdom and
      Folly, are names for the same one thing. We use them to
      explain the humour of Don Quixote, as lying in the contrast
      between Pure Truth and Impure Application, but actually
      these two are one. Defect of application means defect of
      vision. When a man sees the Truth of things, all his
      actions are perfect. Perfection means, not perfect actions
      in a perfect world, but appropriate actions in an imperfect
      one.
      Don Quixote's are inappropriate, but not, as in our case, as
      a result of defect of will, but of defect of judgement. He
      lacks the Confucian virtue of Prudence, the balance of the
      powers of mind.

      The pathos of Don Quixote derives from the same source as
      the humour, but with the addition that we ourselves, as we
      read the book, have an underlying sense of shame that our
      lives are directed to the acquisition of all the things Don
      Quixote so rightly despised. No man can read Don Quixote
      without a feeling of self-contempt. To forget this, many
      laugh at him that they may not weep at themselves.

      The life of Don Quixote was a life of Zen; indifferent to
      the opinions of his fellows, without a single thought of
      self, of self-aggrandisement or self-expression, he LIVED
      twenty four hours every day, following his instincts (his
      ideals) as wholeheartedly, as truly, as naturally, as the
      blooming of flowers in spring, as the falling of leaves in
      autumn.

      Nonduality Salon Website
      http://www.nonduality.com
      Nonduality Salon Email Forum
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nondualitysalon
      Nonduality Salon List of Nondual People
      http://www.nonduality.com/morea.htm
      Encyclopedia of Nonduality
      http://www.nonduality.com/context.htm
      Nonduality Salon Chat
      http://www.eScribe.com/religion/nondualitysalon/chat
      New to Chat? Please consider the following suggestions:
      http://dragon.minopher.net.au/WebEd/protocol.htm