#1637 - Friday, December 5, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003

      #1637 - Friday, December 5, 2003 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Like entrusting yourself
      To a brave person
      When greatly afraid,
      By entrusting yourself
      To the awakening mind,
      You will be swiftly liberated,
      Even if you have made appalling errors.

      - Majjhima Nikaya

      BE SILENT

      Entering into silence is like stepping into cool clear water. The dust and
      debris are quietly washed away, and we are purified of our triviality. This
      cleansing takes place whether we are conscious of it or not: the very choice
      of silence, of desiring to be still, washes away the day's grime.

      - Wendy Beckett in "Sister Wendy's Book of Meditations"

      Gill Eardley ~ Rumi to Hafiz

      If we were not so single-minded
      about keeping our lives moving,
      and for once could do nothing,
      perhaps a huge silence
      might interrupt this sadness of never
      understanding ourselves
      and of threatening ourselves with death.

      ~ Pablo Neruda

      Way of the Water-Hyacinth

      by Zawgee

      Bobbing on the breeze blown waves
      Bowing to the tide
      Hyacinth rises and falls

      Falling but not felled
      By flotsam, twigs, leaves
      She ducks, bobs and weaves.

      Ducks, ducks by the score
      Jolting, quacking and more
      She spins through—

      Spinning, swamped, slimed, sunk
      She rises, resolute
      Still crowned by petals.

            Translated from the Burmese by Lyn Aye

      Overcome your uncertainties
      And free yourself
      From dwelling on sorrow.
      If you delight in existence,
      You will become a guide
      To those who need you,
      Revealing the path to many.

      - Sutta Nipata

      http://www..sliceofjapan.com/bamboo_grove.html

      Gill Eardley ~ Rumi to Hafiz

      From 'Doing Nothing'  by Steven Harrison:

      There is no need for any new ideology, but there is an urgent
      need for each of us to discover the truth of our existence-
      firsthand. This self-discovery cannot be instructed. it must
      arise of its own necessity.

      Yet, upon finding this movement of self-discovery occurring,
      it is incumbent that we communicate. This need to communicate
      arises directly from the recognition of our basic connection
      with all that is around us.. Communication is inherent to that
      recognition. We have no choice.

      This communication may be through words, or deeds, or silence.
      The form will not be important, so long as this communication
      is not ideology or an attempt to condition another. Communication
      is not the conveyance of an idea from one to another, but rather
      the conveyance of silence.

      Communication is not from a position. It is not from knowledge
      speaking to ignorance. Communication does not result in power,
      followers, or organizations.

      Communication is the anointment of freedom, the benediction
      of love.

      Gill Eardley ~ Allspirit Inspiration

      From:  ' Now is the Knowing' by Ajahn Sumedho

      Now you may ask, 'Well if I'm not the conditions of mind, if
      I'm not a man or a woman, this or that, then what am I?, Do
      you want me to tell you who you are? Would you believe me
      if I did? What would you think if I ran out and started
      asking you who I am? It's like trying to see your own eyes:
      you can't know yourself, because you are yourself. You can
      only know what is not yourself - and so that solves the
      problem, doesn't it? If you know what is not yourself, then
      there is no question about what you are. If I said, 'Who am
      I? I'm trying to find myself,' and I started looking under the
      shrine, under the carpet, under the curtain, you'd think,
      'Venerable Sumedho has really flipped out, he's gone crazy,
      he's looking for himself.' 'I'm looking for me, where am I?' is
      the most stupid question in the world. The problem is not who
      we are but our belief and identification with what we are not.
      That's where the suffering is, that's where we feel misery and
      depression and despair. It's our identity with everything that is
      not ourselves that is dukkha. When you identify with that which
      is unsatisfactory,  you're going to be dissatisfied and
      discontented - it's obvious, isn't it?

      Slender clouds. On the pavilion a small rain.
      Noon, but I’m too lazy to open the far cloister.
      I sit looking at moss so green
      My clothes are soaked with color.

      - Wang Wei (699-759)

      When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer
      by Walt Whitman

      When I heard the learn'd astronomer,
      When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
      When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
      When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
      How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
      Till rising and gliding out I wander'd off by myself,
      In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
      Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.

      Learn for yourself here.
      A teacher can’t help you here.
      Watch.
      But first ask yourself why
      You need to be told
      Why you have allowed yourself
      To stop learning about those things
      Most basic to your life.
      If you attempt to learn
      Without asking those questions,
      You can never pass beyond
      Technique.
      You’ll only trap yourself
      Again and again,
      A skin’s thickness away
      From the living present.

      - Journeys on Mind Mountain

      Scott Reeves ~ Awareness the Way to Love

      "If you make me your authority," said the Master to a starry-eyed disciple,
      "you harm yourself because you refuse to see things for yourself."

      And, after a pause, he added gently, "You harm me too, because you refuse
      to see me as I am."

      -Anthony de Mello, SJ

      MORSEL: Self-trust is the first secret to success. --Ralph Waldo Emerson
      (1803 - 1882)

      Daily Dharma

      "It would be difficult to bring the wild mind under control without
      first recognizing that wandering thoughts are in reality never born and can
      therefore neither remain nor come to an end.  With this recognition, not
      pursuing thoughts as they arise but remaining in the unbroken simplicity of
      the natural state of the mind is called bodhicitta.
          Once you have glimpsed the nature of mind in this way, your realization
      of absolute bodhicitta is deepened through the cultivation of relative
      bodhicitta in its two aspects:  aspiring to achieve enlightenment for the
      sake of all beings and actually putting this aspiration into practice.  As
      we have seen before, it is not enough to simply wish to help people.  You
      have to undertake to truly benefit all beings, just like Chenrezi, and it is
      in order to achieve this goal that you visualize Chenrezi, recite his
      mantra, and meditate on the nature of his wisdom.  As you continue to
      practice in this way, deluded thoughts become fewer and fewer, while wisdom
      blooms in your being, enabling you to fulfill the immediate and ultimate
      needs of yourself and others."

      ~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

      More "Slice of Japan" photos may be seen here:

      The mighty ocean has but one taste,
      The taste of salt.
      Even so, the true way has
      But one savor,