#1618 - Sunday, November 16, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2003
      #1618 - Sunday, November 16, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labor of others, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am receiving.  -Albert Einstein

      William Blake
      Whirlwind of Lovers (Illustration to Dante's Inferno)
      Birmingham Art Gallery

      The Divine Image

      To Mercy, Pity, Peace, and Love,
      All pray in their distress:
      And to these virtues of delight
      Return their thankfulness.

      For Mercy, Pity, Peace, and Love,
      Is God, our father dear:
      And Mercy, Pity, Peace, and Love,
      Is Man, his child and care.

      For Mercy has a human heart,
      Pity, a human face:
      And Love, the human form divine,
      And Peace, the human dress.

      Then every man of every clime,
      That prays in his distress,
      Prays to the human form divine,
      Love, Mercy, Pity, Peace.

      And all must love the human form,
      In heathen, Turk, or Jew.
      Where Mercy, Love, & Pity dwell,
      There God is dwelling too.

      Glad Day

      The Ancient of Days
      1794; Relief etching with watercolor, 23.3 x 16.8 cm; British Museum, London

      illustrations: http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/blake/

      Daily Dharma

      "Today we have little choice but to assimilate all we
      experience into our spiritual lives; it is all grist for the
      mill, manure on fertile fields of spiritual flowers. The
      sacred and the mundane are inseparable. Your life is your
      path. It's not helpful to wait until you have more time for
      meditation or contemplation, because it may never happen."
      ~Lama Surya Das

      Gill Eardley ~ Allspirit Inspiration

      ~ You, you only, exist ~
      Rainer Maria Rilke

      You, you only, exist.
      *We* pass away, till at last,
      our passing is so immense
      that you arise: beautiful moment,
      in all your suddenness,
      arising in love, or enchanted
      in the contraction of work.

      To you I belong, however time may
      wear me away. From you to you
      I go commanded. In between
      the garland is hanging in chance; but if you
      take it up and up and up: look:
      all becomes festival!

      Translated by Stephen Mitchell

      _______________

      ~ Some Questions You Might Ask ~
      Mary Oliver

      Is the soul solid, like iron?
      Or is it tender and breakable, like
      the wings of a moth in the beak of the owl?
      Who has it, and who doesn't?
      I keep looking around me.
      The face of the moose is as sad
      as the face of Jesus.
      The swan opens her white wings slowly.
      In the fall, the black bear carries leaves into the darkness.
      One question leads to another.
      Does it have a shape? Like an iceberg?
      Like the eye of a hummingbird?
      Does it have one lung, like the snake and the scallop?
      Why should I have it, and not the anteater
      who loves her children?
      Why should I have it, and not the camel?
      Come to think of it, what about the maple trees?
      What about the blue iris?
      What about all the little stones, sitting alone in the moonlight?
      What about roses, and lemons, and their shining leaves?
      What about the grass?

      Sam Pasiencier ~ NDS

      Does the Koala have Buddha nature?

      This is the happiest looking creature I have seen for some time.

      It could be the Eucalyptus leaves they are always chewing. It could be the Buddha nature. Then again maybe the Koala just isn't there...If there were a G_d he must have been in a good mood when he made this creature.

      For more information you may join the new list NonKoalatySalon@...

      Hi fellow Salonies it is good to be away, it is good to be back.

      cheers from sam

      Mary Bianco ~ NDSN

      Spiritual photography
      Photographer captures beauty of the North

      "I always remember when we came back to the airport at Resolute Bay. We were back in the land of sound systems and radios. The noises seemed so strange to our ears after being isolated for a time. So much of the Arctic was calm, quiet and serene."

      There was an awakening of sorts within Dommasch, too, because on his trips to the Arctic grew an appreciation of how the First Nations people were in tune with nature.

      "I experienced the might of the creator, whoever it might be, a closer connection to the Natives, the knowledge that a greater sensitivity in an art form which I already considered an amazing gift."

      - Journeys on Mind Mountain

      On That Side, beyond the clouds,
      The mountain is blue-green as jade
      The white clouds on the mountain
      Are whiter than white
      From the spring on the mountain,
      Drop after drop
      Who knows how to see the face
      In the white clouds?
      Clear skies and rain have their times,
      They’re like lightening
      Who knows how to listen to the
      Sound of this spring?
      It flows on without stopping
      Through thousands
      And thousands of turns
      The moment before thought is
      Already wrong
      To try to say anything further
      Is embarrassing.

      - T’aego (1301-1382)

      Chris ~ Look for  Yourself

      "aah, give us a break"

      Break for story.

      So, in 1978, i was painting buildings in San Francisco. I met this guy
      'Ed the Red', (red beard), through a tattoo artist amigo of a lady I was
      living with. Ed painted frames and gas tanks at Frisco Choppers, and
      used to ride with the Hells Angels on weekends. He had a '48 hawg with a
      suicide clutch and about a 4 inch sissy bar which was not a whole lot of
      help if you were riding behind Ed.

      So Ed had rigging, rope falls, and his brother managed a paint store,
      and he was a pretty good painter, so I met this other guy, Wayne, who
      was a former Warlord of the Wah Ching. Wayne was an interesting guy. A
      year or two earlier, he was in the joint looking at 25 to life for
      conspiracy, bombmaking and stuff. He had been in for around a year when
      he had a Satori, and then somebody discovered a technicality in his
      case, and he was cut loose, and did not seem to be about to repeat his
      youthful mistake. Maybe the authorities perceived something.

      So Wayne's father had some big wooden buildings in Chinatown, and I got
      Ed, and we went to work on them.

      So the day would start like, call Ed, wake him up. 15 minutes later,
      call Ed, wake him up again. Then, wait for Ed. Maybe a half hour, Ed
      shows up. Give Ed coffee. Now he is awake.

      Then ride to Chinatown on the back of Ed's chopper.

      Now I am not going to put my arms around Ed, nor will I rest my dainty
      cheek upon his brawny shoulder, not even in San Francisco. Not ever. Not
      anywhere.

      And so, I have to take this ride every morning with my arms crossed in
      front of me like a wooden Indian in front of a cigar store, with a few
      inches of support for the very lower spine in case Ed decides to pop the
      clutch.

      And he sometimes gets up to 85 in the Stockton tunnel.

      Every once in awhile, he pops the clutch, and feels one hand slam down
      on the top of his shoulder, in a manly gesture of the impulse that
      immediately preceeds terror. (There is no time for terror to register.)

      Then he laughs. Haa, Haa, Haaaaaaaa.

      So anyhow, that is how I used to go to work in the morning in 1978.

      Well, Ed had a tattoo on one oversized bicep. It was 'Tweety Bird' the
      Walt Disney nemises of Sylvester the Cat. And there was a caption.

      "Who me?"

      So, Ramana Maharshi said 'Nan Yar?' He never said "Who Am I?". That is a
      bunch of bullshit made up by pandits and european seekers.

      No wonder I never got it.

      What most likely happened is, he saw the pandits and european seekers
      scrambling all over Arunachala, and they converged on him with great
      excitement, surrounding him and asking him all kinds of questions,
      and he said the first thing that anybody would say under those
      circumstances,
      i.e. "Who me?"

      And the rest, as they say, is history.

      Love,
      Chris

      You can access past issues of the NDhighlights at the Highlights Home Page