#1616 - Friday, November 14, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2003
      #1616 - Friday, November 14, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      If you wish to move in the One Way
      do not dislike even the world of senses and ideas.
      Indeed, to accept them fully
      is identical with true Enlightenment.
      The wise man strives to no goals
      but the foolish man fetters himself.
      There is one Dharma, not many;
      distinctions arise
      from the clinging needs of the ignorant.
      To seek Mind with the [discriminating] mind
      is the greatest of all mistakes.

      -Seng-tsan, "Verses on the Faith Mind"

      From "Teachings of the Buddha," edited by Jack Kornfield, 1993

      .

      Spy in the house of America’s soul
      Leibovitz brings music-inspired photography to new show

      LEIBOVITZ BRINGS the painterly eye she used as Rolling Stone’s chief photographer to “American Music,” her latest collection of photography, premiering at the Experience Music Project, the interactive music museum in Seattle. The exhibition, which opens at EMP on Saturday, comprises more than 60 photographs mostly spanning the four years she spent crisscrossing the United States.

      See a sample of Annie Leibovitz's "American Music."

      .

       Nina ~ Natural Enlightenment

      Jeff, perhaps it was after your time,
      (or perhaps not)
      or perhaps your son used to watch
      The Muppet Show. Do you recall the
      peanut gallery? The two old men
      that sat in the balcony and heckled
      all the muppets, making jokes about
      their muppet antics?

      Nowadays, I can look back on the muppet
      show and see that it was fairly well-balanced
      and representative psychologically. The peanut
      gallery represented the Inner Critic, that
      grain of sand that rubs and begs for change.

      What would the show have
      been without their crotchety
      relief? Nothing but sunshine and floppy
      muppet heads, and that woulda been too
      bad, because Kermit would never have
      had the dark night of his muppet soul
      and written the song "It Isn't Easy Being
      Green" and asked those tough questions,
      like "Who am I?" and "Is this love for
      Ms. Piggy, or something greater?"

      Joe Riley

      Song for a wake .... (may be heard at link)

      www.panhala.net/End_of_the_Line.wma

      End of the Line -- The Traveling Wilburys

      (Chorus 1)
      Well it's all right, riding around in the breeze
      Well it's all right, if you live the life you please
      Well it's all right, doing the best you can
      Well it's all right, as long as you lend a hand

      You can sit around and wait for the phone to ring
      Waiting for someone to tell you everything
      Sit around and wonder what tomorrow will bring
      Maybe a diamond ring

      (Chorus 2)
      Well it's all right, even if they say you're wrong
      Well it's all right, sometimes you gotta be strong
      Well it's all right, As long as you got somewhere to lay
      Well it's all right, everyday is Judgment Day

      Maybe somewhere down the road aways
      You'll think of me, wonder where I am these days
      Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays
      Purple haze

      (Chorus 3)
      Well it's all right, even when push comes to shove
      Well it's all right, if you got someone to love
      Well it's all right, everything'll work out fine
      Well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line

      Don't have to be ashamed of the car I drive
      I'm glad to be here, happy to be alive
      It don't matter if you're by my side
      I'm satisfied

      (Chorus 4)
      Well it's all right, even if you're old and grey
      Well it's all right, you still got something to say
      Well it's all right, remember to live and let live
      Well it's all right, the best you can do is forgive

      (Chorus 5)
      Well it's all right, riding around in the breeze
      Well it's all right, if you live the life you please
      Well it's all right, even if the sun don't shine
      Well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line

      Gill Eardley ~ Rumi to Hafiz

      I always think that to be able to look into the eyes of one
      true Master is worth one hundred years studying His doctrine,
      His teaching. In Him you have a direct example of enlightenment,
      of life, while in others you have only a shadow, which may help
      you also, but not directly. As the Buddha says, "My doctrine is only
      a raft helping to bring you over to the other shore, not ultimate
      reality; you shouldn't worship it."

      Thich Nhat Hanh in 'The Raft is not the Shore'

      The Great Black Heron

      Since I stroll in the woods more often
      than on this frequented path, it's usually
      trees I observe; but among fellow humans
      what I like best is to see an old woman
      fishing alone at the end of a jetty,
      hours on end, plainly content.
      The Russians mushroom-hunting after a rain
      trail after themselves a world of red sarafans,
      nightingales, samovars, stoves to sleep on
      (though without doubt those are not
      what they can remember). Vietnamese families
      fishing or simply sitting as close as they can
      to the water, make me recall that lake in Hanoi
      in the amber light, our first, jet-lagged evening,
      peace in the war we had come to witness.
      This woman engaged in her pleasure evokes
      an entire culture, tenacious field-flower
      growing itself among the rows of cotton
      in red-earth country, under the feet
      of mules and masters. I see her
      a barefoot child by a muddy river
      learning her skill with the pole. What battles
      has she survived, what labors?
      She's gathered up all the time in the world
      --nothing else--and waits for scanty trophies,
      complete in herself as a heron.

      By Denise Levertov, from Sands of the Well. Copyright © 1996 by Denise Levertov. Reprinted by permission of New Directions Publishing Corp. All rights reserved.

      “How should those who enter
      the path apply their minds?
      All things are originally uncreated
      and presently undying.
      Just let your mind be free;
      you don’t have to restrain it.
      See directly and hear directly;
      come directly and go directly.
      When you must go, then go;
      when you must stay, then stay.
      This is the true path.
      A scripture says,
      “Conditional existence is
      the site of enlightenment,
      insofar as you know it as it really is.”

      - Niu-t’ou Hui-chung (683-769)

      Practicing Spirituality with Catholics
      Day 15

      FEEL LOVED

      Sometimes I say to God: "You know what's wrong with you?"

      And God asks, "What?"

      And I begin to enumerate. "You love too indiscriminately. You trust people
      way too much. You're far too forgiving. And you're entirely too patient!"

      Having said that, I invite God to tell me what's wrong with me. But all I
      hear God say is, "You know, Honey, I really get a kick out of you!"

      Which only proves my point.

      -- Melannie Svoboda in "Everyday Epiphanies: Seeing the Sacred in
      Everything"

      Steve Toth ~ Rumi to Hafiz

      AT THE DISCOUNT STORE

      We walk more than a mile
           making our way along the blackberries
           to the discount store
      Last night was a cold snap
           & in one aisle five strangers
      are discussing the pluses & minuses
           of various space heaters.

      Sometimes when people are talking
           I see them as so beautiful
      I want to hug & kiss them
           & tell them I love them
      Or break out laughing & never stop
      Or I see them as wonderful creatures
           who are going to die
      & I want to take their hands
           look deeply into their eyes
      & let them know that's it's all right
           for there to be conversations like this
           among the living

      But I do none of these things
           knowing nothing about space heaters
           I just keep listening

      Zen Teaching given to a Lady

      To study Zen you must penetrate through the barrier of the ancestral teachers. To learn the Path you must come to the end of the road of mind. When the road of mind is cut off, the whole body appears. It’s like a person drinking water: she knows for herself whether it’s cool or warm. When you reach this stage, do not ask just anyone about it: you must join a real Zen teacher and show her how your mind is working.

      - T’aego (1301-1382)

      Joe Riley ~ Panhala

      Throw Yourself Like Seed

      Shake off this sadness, and recover your spirit
      sluggish you will never see the wheel of fate
      that brushes your heel as it turns going by,
      the man who wants to live is the man in whom life is abundant.

      Now you are only giving food to that final pain
      which is slowly winding you in the nets of death,
      but to live is to work, and the only thing which lasts
      is the work; start then, turn to the work.

      Throw yourself like seed as you walk, and into your own field,
      don't turn your face for that would be to turn it to death,
      and do not let the past weigh down your motion.

      Leave what's alive in the furrow, what's dead in yourself,
      for life does not move in the same way as a group of clouds;
      from your work you will be able one day to gather yourself.

      ~ Miguel De Unamuno ~

      (from Roots and Wings, edited and translated by Robert Bly)