#1599 - Monday, October 27, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2003
      #1599 - Monday, October 27, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Photos are from Clyde Butcher's Archival Digital Carbon Prints. For further information on this process and to see more photos, please visit http://clydebutcher.com/emarket2//home.cfm?emailid=64

      Shankar
      I Am

      Dhakshinamurthy Stotra # 3
      The Self is the Primal Cause

      The Import Gracefully Suggested by Sri Bhagawan
      1 Salutation to that (Spiritual) Preceptor, Dhakshinamurthy,
      2 He, who, by (the Power of) His Self-Will,
      3 like the Siddha (one endowed with 8 supernatural faculties) and the
      magician (one skilled in magical arts),
      4 by the subjection to work, time and space, appearing falsely due to Maya
      (Illusion),
      6 later spreads outside "as the mysterious many",
      7 this world that existed (before) without differentiation in the Self,
      8 like the seedling (existing) before (sprouting), inside the seed.

      Translation

      Yours in Sri Bhagawan
      RK Shankar

      How Rich Are You

      Robert Hammond
      NDS

      String Theory

      "What Buddhists have realized through their mystical experience of nature has now been rediscovered through the experiments and mathematical theories of modern science." Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics PBS is airing a special on October 28th and Nov. 4, about String Theory.. also known as the Elegant Universe... or Theory of Everything...or
      Buddhism.

      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/

      http://users.bestweb.net/~et/stringtheory/

      http://www.p-i-a.com/Magazine/Issue6/Intuition_6.htm

      Thought some of you might find it of interest.

      Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

      Peace,

      Robert

      Harsha
      HarshaSatsangh

      To not mind the mind

      Some say that Enlightenment is "sudden",
      as if struck by lightening,
      and one is never the same.

      Some say that Realization
      takes place "gradually"
      just as the clouds evaporate,
      dissipate with the wind and the rain,
      and sun eventually shines brightly.

      Both views are meaningful
      at some point to someone,
      and may indeed be helpful.

      No perspective can attempt
      to embrace the Truth
      without a frame of reference.

      Truth embraces all perspectives
      and admits no reference point.

      There is no point
      in clinging to either
      the "sudden" path or the "gradual" path,

      and no point in resisting clinging.

      When having nothing to gain or lose,
      One does not worry about appearances
      and mind the inconsistencies of the mind.

      Love to all
      Harsha

      Vicki Woodyard
      NDS

      Doubting Tamas

      Today I was good for nothing.  I went to the grocery store and put comfort
      foods into my basket.  Fried chicken tenders, mashed potatoes and cookies.  I
      came home and spent the day sitting in front of the television set.

      Of course I would like to eat only pure foods and have invigorating thoughts;
      that just didn't happen. Today was a day to admit to myself that anything is
      possible--just not right this minute.  I suppose you could call it tamas, or
      inertia, that was in the ascendancy.  I know that my scales will show a higher
      number in the morning.

      Bob was not feeling like having his chemo and we decided to cancel the
      appointment until he regained a little energy.  We didn't talk much -just what
      was needful was said.  He enjoyed the fattening chicken tenders and gasp,
      white bread with butter.  Pepperidge Farm is okay in my book.

      Does this mean that we are not worthy?  That we register zero on the
      spiritual sanctity meter....I hope not. It does mean that sometimes grace is
      replaced by grease.  Sattva will return, but not until I polish off a bag of
      Snickers.

      Vicki Woodyard
      http://www.bobwoodyard.com

      Marcia

      We think we are supposed to somehow be different than
      what we are in the moment. It is that thinking itself that
      keeps us from experiencing what we are right now this
      moment. Here you are concerned about what you eat
      and the thoughts in your head brain.

      My friend is coming up on the anniversary of her husband
      dying a year ago. She is suffering about whether she did
      the right thing in how she cared for him. I felt like shaking
      her. I said..."Linda you act as if Damon died and you were
      just standing still. You were going through it also. He was
      dying and you were caring for the man that you were married
      to for thirty years. Give yourself a frigging break."
      In some ways it is easier to be the one who is sick.

      Vicki

      Hi, Marcia

      Of course you are right.  Many times I fast forward and realize the guilt that
      will inevitably come down the road because I didn't "love perfect." It is just
      the way that we are wired.  My suffering is more emotional whereas Bob's is
      physical....but there are no nice neat boundaries.

      As someone who did the Work for a good many years, I now allow myself to
      just be in the moment.    Have a Snickers...
      Marcia

      I feel that way about my father. He lived with us for four
      years with Alzheimers. I was listening to a program today
      on being with people in this condition. I really could have
      enjoyed him so much more than I did. I missed out on
      sharing that stage of his life with him.  I was still mad at
      him for being emotionally absent with me when I was young.
      How useless that was. I sure hope my children don't hold
      so much against me. They will of course. It is in the nature of
      life that this happens.
      Vicki

      Yes, it is.  However, I find that honesty with others about it helps somewhat.
      That is where I part with many so called nondualists.  I see that idealism
      doesn't cook the rice or assuage the guilt.  So telling it like it is often helps
      us, even if indirectly.

      For instance, I know how you feel about your father because I know how I feel about my husband.  We are all alike.  Have another Snickers (the bag is almost empty....you will have to buy the next one.)

      Daily Dharma
      with Dharma Grandma (dg, aka OH)

      "What allows us to stop negative behaviour is a basic feeling that we do
      not have to be afraid of what we are feeling right now, that we do not
      have to look for alternatives, that we aren't ashamed of what we are
      feeling in this moment. We are scared of what we are feeling. Instead,
      we can just let our warmth toward that instant of time just be there as
      the working basis.

      Compassion for ourselves is settling down with the situation without
      looking for alternatives."

      ~Pema Chodron

      Whatever is causing us a "problem,"  let's take a deep look at it.  Are
      we just trying to make things turn out the way we want them to? Are we
      trying to manipulate the situation to avoid pain and bring us pleasure?
      Are we afraid of what might happen if we do not exert control - change
      things to be the way we think is best?

      Ironically, the Buddha tells us that to stop all the effort, the trying
      to make things be different than they are and just accept whatever is
      presented to us is what brings us true happiness.

      Let go, dears. As an old friend told us, "Let it be."

      ~dg

      Muslims focus on fasting, spirituality during Ramadan

      By Alison Go, Daily Staff Reporter October 28, 2003

      At sunset yesterday, 1.2 billion Muslims worldwide broke from
      a day's worth of fasting. Yesterday marked the second day of
      Islam's holiest month, Ramadan.

      Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, during
      which Muslims forego food, drink and other sensual pleasures.

      "Abstaining from food is a way for Muslims to feel for the
      needy - those who are not as fortunate," said LSA senior Lena
      Masri, vice president of the Muslim Students Association.

      While Muslims abstain from food and drink from dawn to dusk,
      abstention from sensual and material pleasures is practiced
      throughout the month of Ramadan.

      "On one hand, you control your appetite, and on the other,
      you control your sexual urges and be careful of what you
      listen to and what you say," Business School junior Nauman
      Syed said. "When you're fasting, it's a reminder of what you
      should and shouldn't be doing."

      Ramadan is also a time of intense spirituality, and students
      said fasting fosters connections of spirituality and
      community.

      "We abstain from anything that might distract us from our
      spirituality," Masri said. "Fasting brings people together.
      It reminds Muslims who they are and why they are here."

      Followers of Islam believe that the first revelation of Quran
      was revealed during the month of Ramadan.

      "Ramadan is the holiest month," Syed said. "This is the best
      chance of the year to focus and build on your faith. It is an
      opportunity to do good deeds and avoid bad ones."

      "It's a lot about patience and self restraint on all levels,"
      LSA senior Halim Naeem said. "You have to put God before your
      own desires."

      Because Ramadan is one of Islam's five pillars, all Muslims
      are required to observe it, which fosters a sense of unity.
      Muslims break fast, attend special prayer and celebrate the
      end of Ramadan as a community.

      "When the sun sets, it is a blessing to eat together and feed
      each other," Naeem said. "This is when we experience a lot of
      camaraderie, brotherhood and companionship."

      There is an additional special prayer after the usual
      nighttime prayer. Each night of Ramadan this year, hundreds
      of Muslims will gather at the Ann Arbor mosque.

      In light of doing good deeds, altruism is another important
      principle that is especially obeyed during Ramadan.

      "We believe our good deeds are worth more this month," Syed
      said.

      MSA is holding a series of events in honor of Ramadan and its
      call for outreach and philanthropy.

      "This is a time when the mosques all over the world are very
      open and people can go, ask questions and learn about Islam,"
      said Rackham student and MSA President Omar Khalil.

      MSA is also hosting "Fastathon" on Nov. 13. Each local
      business that participates will donate $1 for every person
      who participates in Fastathon. All the money raised will go
      to the Ann Arbor Food Gatherers.

      "Later, we will have people come and talk about what they
      felt when there were fasting and what they thought of the
      experience," Khalil said. "It's for people who would not be
      fasting normally."