#1581 ~ Friday, October 10, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2003
      #1581 ~ Friday, October 10, 2003 ~ Editor: Gloria

      The realm of reality is as vast as cosmic space; it is the knowing mind of sentient beings that is small. Just as long as you do not become egotistic and selfish, you will be ever sated with the spiritual food of nirvana.

      -Pao-chih

      From "The Pocket Zen Reader," edited by Thomas Cleary, 1999. Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Boston, www.shambhala.com

      Hubble mosaic image of the Sombrero galaxy obtained Oct. 3 shows stars in a pancake-shaped disk along with a glowing central bulge of stars.

      Your nature is pure awareness.

      You are flowing in all things,
      And all things are flowing in you.

      But beware
      The narrowness of the mind!

      -Ashtavakra Gita 1:16

      From "The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita," by Thomas Byrom, 1990. Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Inc., Boston. www.shambhala.com.

      Lee Love ~ E-zendo

      listen to live broadcast or download mp3 files

      Wolfgang Waas ~ E-zendo

      Rumi wrote:

      "everytime I say Allah, I'm in blasphemy"

      "God is good, God is wise, God is infinite, God is just - that's all
      just rubbish, as if I'd called black white. You're yourself what you're
      thinking of your God, and you're blaspheming when you hang it up unto
      Him. Take him without any qualities as a being more than being, and a
      nothingness more than being."
      (Meister Eckhhart, Christian mystic, 14th c.)

      Mazie Lane ~ HarshaSatsangh

      The transformed self is innocent and
      "As a white cavern without explanation" that speaks with a silent
      voice:

      When I open once for all my impeccable bell
      No one questions my silence:
      The all-knowing bird of night flies out of my mouth.

      The entire experience is one where the self is touched by the
      beauty and truth of the flowering darkness which is also the
      silent, soaring bird. The mystic vision not only startles, but
      starts a change in all who experience it:

      You live forever in its echo:
      You will never be the same again.

      ~Thomas Merton

      Nina ~ Natural Enlightenment

      I owe much of my appreciation of 'what if'
      to a cantankerous 8th grade social sciences/history
      substitute. She told me, "there is no such thing
      as 'what if'", only 'what is'. That sounds wise,
      but remember that this was in the context of
      a very set way of looking at history. I asked her
      one day: "What if, there is 'what if'..." She
      gave me the coldest, most withering look... and
      my 'what if' went underground.

      'What if' is an appreciation for grace, for the
      entropy, accidents, and synchronicities that
      conspire to make 'what is'.

      'What if' can be a powerful tool, a way of opening
      a door for and to oneself. 'What if', there is such
      a thing as 'infinite love'? 'What if', there is
      wisdom to be found in the words of my enemies?
      'What if', this is not all there is?

      Say 'what if', and invite grace...

      Ben Hassine ~ NDS

      They told me to look for the gateless gate.

      Well, I never found a gateless gate;
      Only a gateless wall.

      So nothing works. What do I do now?

      Alan Larus ~ NDS

      Eric Ashford ~ TrueVision

      Another reason why I don't keep a gun in the house

      The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
      He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
      that he barks every time they leave the house.
      They must switch him on on their way out.

      The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
      I close all the windows in the house
      and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
      but I can still hear him muffled under the music,
      barking, barking, barking,

      and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
      his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
      had included a part for barking dog.

      When the record finally ends he is still barking,
      sitting there in the oboe section barking,
      his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
      entreating him with his baton

      while the other musicians listen in respectful
      silence to the famous barking dog solo,
      that endless coda that first established
      Beethoven as an innovative genius.

      --Billy Collins

      Mary Bianco ~ NDSN

      East, West values mesh in Tibet
      (check out the photos: Scenes from Tibet)

      Leigh Miller is a Ph.D. student in the Graduate Institute of Liberal Arts at Emory University. She visited Tibet recently with her fiancee, photographer Jason Sangster.

      When you hear the word "Tibet," the image that probably comes to mind is of an exotic and timeless Shangri-La: majestic mountains, yaks and peaceful people deep in Buddhist meditation.

      This view is great for tourism, but real Tibetans live inside the People's Republic of China. And not only did our friend's family have electricity, the elaborately carved wooden cabinets in the living room housed not a Buddhist altar, but a large TV set, CD/ DVD players and speakers. It is not the readily available Hollywood schlock or Chinese kung fu flicks they prefer to watch, though; Tibetan horse races, music videos and DVDs of lamas performing Buddhist rituals were the favorites in the Kham province.

      Terry Murphy ~ Sufi Mystic

      from "The Way of Chuang Tzu," trans Merton:

      *The Lost Pearl*

      The Yellow Emperor went wandering
      To the north of the Red Water
      To the Kwan Lun mountain. He looked