Issue # 1562 Saturday, Sept. 20, 2003

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2003
      Nondual Highlights- Issue #1562 - Saturday, September 20, 2003 - Editor: Christiana

      Beliefs carry with them the illusion
      of presence or pre-sound existence
      and a point of reference
      or center from which this "self" operates.
      When Beliefs are deconstructed,
      the illusion of a self, in a particular location
      with a center, vanishes along with the
      illusion of a pre-sound existence sometimes
      referred to as presence. This leads to the
      "blankness" (which is not) that is
      prior to presence existence
      and absence of non existence.
      There is no perceiver;
      it too is an abstraction,
      a representation of nothing;
      the perceiver is NOT.

      Stephen Wolinsky p. 212 (see below)

      Bizarro cartoon submitted to NDS by Gyan http://tinyurl.com/o5l8

      Richard Thieme http://www.thiemeworks.com

      Islands in the Clickstream: A Miracle by Any Other Name

      If any column is about "the human dimension of technology,"
      it's this one, inasmuch as last week, my beloved youngest son
      Barnaby had more tubes in him, more drips dripping, more
      monitors flashing around him than a cyborg out of Terminator 3.

      When I arrived at the ICU and saw, moving among the noisy
      machinery, his still- pink hand, swollen and slow, as it reached
      for my hand, I cried like a baby. In such moments the fragility,
      transitory nature, and absolute value of life, all life, is
      unmistakable.

      My son was riding his motorcycle on Highway 101 in California
      when he came around a curve into stopped traffic. He hit the
      back of a pick-up truck and flew through the air. When
      paramedics arrived at the scene, there was no blood pressure
      and they pumped him full of fluids and kept him as stable as
      they could until a helicopter flew him to Modesto where they
      scanned the damage and decided that a torn aorta was the
      most critical injury.

      He went into emergency surgery to repair the aorta. They gave
      fair warning that ignoring his badly broken leg might mean the
      loss of the leg, that bleeding from his liver had to wait, that
      staunching the blood flow to the spine during surgery might
      mean he wouldn't walk again. There is nothing to do when they
      read your rights but nod and sign off and get out of the way.

      They repaired the aorta. The liver stopped bleeding. They
      operated on his shattered leg. They left alone his broken ribs
      and a crack in his upper back. They removed the ventilator and
      after a few days stopped the morphine drip. His vital signs are
      good. There's a long road ahead but it looks as if he'll make it.

      Anyone who has been in an Intensive Care Unit lately knows
      that it looks like Ridley Scott designed it. Machines breathe,
      monitors regulate blood flow and drugs, cuffs flex and contract.
      It's like a scene out of Bladerunner, with robotic friends
      manufactured by canny engineers, friends that keep us alive.

      Among the tubes and flashing lights is the reason the
      technology exists, the human soul in the machinery. Without
      my son's beating heart, which continues to beat, thank God, the
      high-tech devices would have no meaning.

      The prognosis according to one of the docs is "fantastic." A torn
      aorta is fatal 85% of the time. With the other trauma, he said,
      there had been perhaps a 1% chance of survival.

      My son can move his arms and legs and when he speaks it is
      obviously still my son with his characteristic genius for insight,
      understatement and humor. A devout Buddhist who has
      meditated for long hours at the Zen Center and Tassajara
      Monastery, he of all people can handle a view of a white wall,
      watching his mind and its shadows move.

      We believe he will be OK and we are afraid to believe he will be
      OK. The depth and intensity of our own trauma, sourced by
      those telephone calls from hell, continues to linger.

      Most of the doctors and nurses use words like "incredibly lucky"
      but some speak of a miracle and mean it. I hesitate to use that
      word lest those who lost loved ones wonder what happened
      when they could have used a miracle too. I do not pretend to
      understand how it all hangs together or makes sense. The older
      I get the more obvious it is that those who think they have a
      clue do not have a clue and those who know they do not have a
      clue have a shot at having a clue.

      But in and of itself, that my son is alive and himself, that he
      will walk and talk and live, is a miracle by any name, whatever
      you want to call it.

      Miracles come in many forms and during this hard time they
      sometimes came as felt realities, palpable touches of the spirit.
      When many people pray, express concern and love and are
      aligned in a single direction, their energy is amplified. When our
      consciousness is stripped of trivial concerns by the bone- deep
      clarity of a crisis, it enables us to focus with a laser-like
      intensity. When you feel those forces entering your awareness
      it feels like thermals during a hang-glide coming up from under.
      It feels like being lifted in a wave, like being a self-conscious
      node in a network aware of all the connections, knowing the
      pattern of the pattern of the web.

      Our gratitude is impossible to express in such moments
      because it is absolute and words make everything relative. The
      choice of people to be there for us is sheer gift and grace and it
      is impossible to underestimate the impact of a kind word or a
      prayer. The extremity of our need may magnify the felt power of
      this unmerited benevolence but even in normal mundane
      everyday life compassion and generosity of spirit are the glue of
      the universe.

      Anyone who believes the universe only works bottom up and not
      top down as well is missing some of the data. It begins and
      ends with consciousness as surely as a network map includes
      an image of the Big Picture as well as nodes feeling each other
      out, knitting themselves together from all sides. When we
      extend ourselves toward each other's needs we make a
      connection, becoming something more for a moment but in fact
      becoming only what we have always been, a singular being not
      always fully aware of itself in all its particulars, alive in a
      universe more like thought than stuff or maybe thought and
      stuff at the same time. As I said, I really haven't got a clue,
      just an inkling, an inkling made as bold as the brush stroke of a
      Zen master on an empty canvas by a moment of transparent
      clarity and utter terror.

      Islands in the Clickstream is an intermittent column written by
      Richard Thieme. Richard Thieme is a professional speaker,
      consultant, and writer focused on the human dimensions of
      technology and work, "life on the edge," and discerning spiritual
      paths for business and personal life.

      Islands in the Clickstream (c) Richard Thieme, 2003. All rights reserved.

      vvs to NDS

      Illusion is a word. All words are relative. All words have
      different interpretations and different perception. There is
      nothing right nor wrong with words. The Source moves our lips
      and produces sound to mean a word. Good, bad or ugly , all are
      from the source. The mind too is from the source , yet it is an
      illusion (not real). To understand the illusion as an illusion and
      enjoy the understanding is the source's playground.

      Below are excerpts from a new book by Dr. Stephen Wolinsky:
      Walden III: In Search of a Utopian Nirvana. This work continues
      the direction of his recent books. These include two which are
      extensions of his longtime encounter with Sri Nisargadatta
      Maharaj: I Am That I Am: A Tribute to Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj,
      and You Are Not: Beyond the Veils of Consciousness; a three
      volume series entitled The Way of the Human; and Quantum
      Consciousness.

      A description from the back jacket: Using a six-pronged
      approach, which incorporates Buddhism with Advaita-Vedanta in
      the East and neuroscience, linguistics, philosophy, and
      Quantum Physics in the West, Dr Wolinsky, speaking through
      the voice of "A" (a "Teacher"), answers our most essential
      questions by deconstructing our most deeply held structures
      and archetypes.

      p. 123

      The nervous system is the great illusioner. The nervous system
      responds to certain stimuli through the senses; the brain
      transduces (trance-duces) it and creates an illusion (trance) of a
      self, which has choice, perception, a will, doership, and volition.
      The key point to understand is that the nervous system omits
      millions and millions of stimuli and selects only a very small
      amount (less than 1%), and from that small amount the
      nervous system constructs the "I", the perceiver, what the "I"
      perceives, and what the "I" believes about itself and the world.

      p. 124

      The Evolution of Self-Consciousness and the Illusion of Constancy -

      We could say that self-consciousness evolved for two purposes:
      1) project an image of a possible future so the we, as part of
      nature, could survive better, and 2) fabricate the illusion that
      what "you" perceive is constant, stable, permanent, solid and
      without the spatial gaps. Spatial gaps occur about 11 to 17
      times per second. Consciousness fills in the gaps or space,
      making the world appear solid, stable, and constant. This is
      why the two most famous meditations in the last several
      thousand years are 1) to "find" the space between two
      thoughts, and 2) to "find" the space between two breaths.

      p. 66

      What you see as reality are snapshots, there is
      reality-space-reality-space-reality-space... snapshots. The illusion is
      that one snapshot causes the next snapshot, which causes the next
      snapshot, etc. In other words there is an illusion of cause and effect.
      It is the personal consciousness, or what is called "self-consciousness"
      which creates the illusion and links these representational pictures
      into a coherent whole, which prevents us from seeing the hole or gap
      or discontinuity between thoughts, ideas, and situations. This
      in-between space is called "Bardo" in Buddhism, "discontinuity: by
      Michel Foucault, and "dissemination" by Jacques Derrida. Nevertheless,
      "you" can notice the "space" between thoughts or discourses and how
      one discourse does not relate to another.

       Art: Fred Casselman, Gift of Grace http://www.earthecho.com