1530 - Thursday, August 21, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2003
      #1530 - Thursday, August 21, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      This issue is dedicated to the music people listen to.

      Ben Hassine
      NDS

      Hello people,

      Music can have a real liberating and refreshing quality. It
      can even take you beyond/out of your normal state of
      consciousness, at least that is what I sense. Anyway, would
      you like to share some of the songs or compositions that
      lifted you out of yourself into the Other?

      Hope to hear from you,

      Ben.

      PS One of my contemporary "elevator songs" are: Van Morrison
      - Into the Mystic, Abyssinians - Meditation Dub, and Neil
      Young - Out on the Weekend

      Van Morrison

      Freyja

      Music, to me, is the quintessential language.
      There is nothing like it and its infinite
      combinations and the unique way it communicates
      and its being
      cannot be captured by words.

      I like almost everything, but here are a few
      that come to mind

      Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs   CD

      Jean-Pierre Rampal and Claude Bolling - Suite for Flute and Jazz
      Piano CD

      R. Carlos Nakai -  Island of Bows  CD

      Hemi-Sync Metamusic - Spirit's Journey CD

      Clannad - Landmarks CD

      John Barry - Dances With Wolves CD

      Prem Joshua - "New Kafi"

      Chinmaya Dunster & Vidroha Jamie  "Wandering Way"

      Al Grommer Khan "Agori Dance"

      Ustad Usman Khan "Raga Hansadhwani"

      Deuter "Sunlight Dancing"

      Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon CD

      so many more...

      i'm glad you asked, i'm enjoying
      seeing what speaks to everyone else

      Freyja
      Hur

      this is a good point.  i've felt that those who have never discovered
      the conceptual teachings of nonduality, have always known it when
      they listen to music...they just didn't have a word for it.

      asking for songs?  almost any song on the radio till it's played so
      much that i cannot stand to hear it.

      hur

      ps.  though i'd disagree with the concept "into the Other."  i'd like
      to think of nonduality as the disapperance of the imaginary Other.
      no Other to cap from the children of lesser gods, the lower case
      letters.  i don't type in lower case letters to make any point.  i'm
      just too lazy to cap anything.
      Tarah

      In order of preference (although all of these are "tops" for me):

      1. B-tribe !Spiritual, Spiritual!
      The entire CD is fantastic - totally lifts one. Dramatic flamenco
      guitar, moody, wordless vocals...it's music as mood, mood as music.

      2. Novus Magnificat - Constance Demby
      This one takes you away...floating continuously. You drift, soar,
      cry, laugh and become totally emersed....

      3. AEterna - Constance Demby
      All selections are great...but, #5 - Eternal Return is one never to
      be forgotten.

      4. Ten New Songs - Leonard Cohen
      Many have addressed this one. It is special.

      5. Moroccan Spirit
      This one starts out very, very "earthy". Starting with the 6th
      selection, Midunya, one can barely hold onto their seat, it is that
      elating. It moves on into #7, 8 & 9 flowing one into the other...and
      then...#10 - impossible to describe. Real, real drums...the beat is
      haunting...it takes one away...and leads into a nice finish with #11
      & 12. One is just not the "same" at the end of the listening as at
      the start. Now I must warn you, it may take several listenings to
      become totally emersed into it.

      6. Enigma - MCMXC a.D.
      There are two versions out, one is the "regular" and the other has 4
      extra versions of previous selections. I first purchased
      the "regular" because I did not know whether or not I would like
      it...I ended up buying the pricey extended version. Another
      wonderful CD.

      7. Kitaro
      I like Kitaro's earlier CD's. My favorite (which appears to not be
      available any longer - used are sometimes available - $150) is the
      Silkroad Suite played along with the London Symphony Orchestra. The
      orchestra adds a sense of depth that is awe inspiring. Other Kitaro
      favorites include Oasis, India...and the list goes on.

      8. Mystere - Cirque du Soleil
      If anyone has had the opportunity to see this performance live, they
      know what I am talking about here. This goes beyond the body. A
      friend, who died, was adament about having the #9 selection playing
      at his death. I made up a special CD that just played this song over
      & over...titled Kalimando. He envisioned his death as this song,
      especially the ending of the song where he stated it was nothing but
      sound and light. He got his wish.

      Of course there are many, many more great selections. These are the
      ones I keep returning to play over and over.

      It is great getting new selections from others. I will have fun
      trying them out.

      Constance Demby

      Greg Goode

      --DRIFT, by Arthur Dent and Deeper Than Space.
      --TRANCES AND DRONES, by Robert Rich.
      --Anything on http://www.globalsoul.net/
      Terry S.

      ...Leonard Cohen;  Ten New Songs
      Pink Floyd;   Dark side of the Moon
      Philip Glass;  Songs of Liquid days
      Miles Davis;  In a Silent Way
      Gene Poole

      - 21st Century Jesus/Messiah (play it LOUD)
      - Oxygene/Jarre
      - anything by Bach
      - Boston/Boston
      - All she wants to do is dance/Henley
      - Been a long time (since rock 'n roll)/Led Zeppelin
      - Take On Me/Ah Ha
      Nina

      Hi, Ben, in the late 90s, a bunch of us here in Asheville were
      neurolinguistically programmed to move out of our wee selves to the
      beat of Anugama's Shamanic Dream CD. This has been confirmed by
      hysterical (read: funny coincidence) post-hypnosis consensus. No,
      this was not a super secure government experiment, it for all of us
      the result of attending a particular yoga teacher's class here in A-
      ville. She played that CD in every class, so, we all came to
      associate it with that relaxed blissed-out nothin'-doin' feeling that
      comes with practicing yoga under the tutelage of a smooth-talkin'
      buddhist yogini. Anytime I hear that CD, I drop right back into that
      room with the resilient blue-grey sports floor, am surrounded by a
      bunch of slack-jawed and bright-eyed yogis and the slight smell of
      bleach solution combined with Sandalwood.

      Let's see, here are some more:

      Kronos Quartet's CD Astor Piazzolla: Five Tango Sensations

      Flaming Lips' CD Yoshini Battles the Pink Robots

      Yo Yo Ma's CD Soul of the Tango

      John Adam's CD Shaker Loops (not dependable - sometimes annoying)
      Mark Otter

      Hi Ben,

      Any of the holotropic breathworks sets I've ever breathed to.

      R. Carlos Nakai and Nawang Khechog - Winds of Devotion (I breathed for
      hours to this CD once, playing it over and over, while asking "Who am
      I?" repeatedly, until I was left laughing with great joy at the answer
      "I am the question asking itself in infinitely many ways". Yum. The
      music is an intersection between Native American and Tibetan Buddhist
      traditions and is just amazing.

      Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party - Devotional and Love Songs (or anything
      else by him...) Play it loud!!! (and dance - very celebratory)

      Byron Metcalf - Helpers, Allies and Guides. Byron's a shaman, and
      makes music for journeying. He has some more recent albums as well, in
      collaboration with Steve Roach, which I don't know quite as well, but
      are also for journeying. There is some darkness in much of this music,
      which can be very effective in helping "stuff" arise to be seen and
      let go of.

      Any of the "Yoga" series by Russill Paul. I like Shabda Yoga best, but
      there are several releases, all wonderful.

      Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

      Ben

      Hi Mark,

      I also listen to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Sabri Brothers and other qawalli
      groups. I play it loud as well, the neighbours think I am a muslim
      fundamentalist now :-) I tried to explain to the old lady it's not allowed
      to listen to music for fundi's -it wouldn't help.
      That's why I also play Klezmatics very loud now and then to add to the
      confusion...
      Did you ever hear of Mercan Dede? It's Turkish sufi music with dance/electro
      flavor. Very nice.

      I listen to Steve Roach as well. "Structures from Silence" is amazing. My
      cat Teddy likes it as well. My girlfriend doesn't....

      Nina

      Mark wrote: "Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party - Devotional and Love Songs (or anything else by him...) Play it loud!!! (and dance - very celebratory)"

      Hehe! Oh, Mark, the images that brings to mind!

      Hey, I remembered another one: Deva Premal's CD... uh... the one with
      the two versions of the Gayatri Mantra on it. Not only did it take me
      into 'the Other', but it granted me the minor siddhi of 'traffic
      control' during a long road trip. I had been listening to it nonstop
      on repeat and noticed that my invitations to left-lane bandits to
      kindly get out of my way were being headed without fail or
      hesitation. Then I tried it out on right lane bandits and it worked
      on them, too. It was quite a happy experience, as I sped along 10-20
      mph above the speed limit on curving mountainous roads that had taxed
      the creative minds of armies of engineers. "Blessings on my fellow
      travelers!" I beamed at each car as Deva chanted song after song.

      Talk about being transported. LOL!

      Nina
      Melody

      Pandit Jasraj's rendition of "Om" is
      beyond description.

      You can hear it, and others at:

      http://www.the-covenant.net/JukeBox.html
      To be more specific, Om, is the name of
      the collection which includes his rendition
      of each of 4 states.   What is found at
      the URL below, is his rendition of the
      4th.
      Jerry

      I like music to be attached to an emotional experience in my life or to a
      performer that creates an emotional experience. Otherwise I can't get into
      the experience of simply listening to a piece of music or a song.

      A Newfoundland girl named Jenny Gear is creating an intense following with
      her artistic sensibilities and emotional impact. I like music that comes
      from a source like Jenny: http://www.deathbrand.com/jenny/.

      Jenny Gear

      Gyan

      Renaissance music performed by the group Pomerium,
      The Mass in B Minor by J.S. Bach ( and its  Agnus Dei section ),
      Some devotionals songs by Deva Premal, Miten and Milarepa.
      John Lennon's 'Instant Karma'.
      'Oor Es Mayr Eem' sung by Isabel Bayarakdarian from the ARARAT Original
      Soundtrack.

      Sarojini and Nina
      Nina: I want to thank you for mentioning the music by
      Anugama. I had never heard of him before and so went to the
      Site and listened to it. It is wonerful. I use music in the
      Yoga classes I teach and some of it would be absolutely
      perfect. It's just so mesmerizingly soothing isn't it? Thank
      you so very much for this information.!

      Peace and Love Always, Sarojini

      Hi, Sarojini, you're welcome. I like the heartbeat and breath woven
      into many of Anugama's extended songs. For a while, I was looking for
      CDs that highlight sounds of nature to use in classes. It's not as
      easy to find them as one would think - so many of the 'nature sounds'
      CDs incorporate really distracting new age music. However, I did find
      one that I can recommend, 'Dolphin Dreams' by Jonathan Goldman. It is
      an aural journey from the beach into the ocean over the course of 65
      minutes. The instrumentals are not at all distracting, and the sounds
      are so perfect that when I play it in the YWCA classroom, I have the
      uncanny urge to look for hidden seagulls. LOL!

      http://www.banns.freeserve.co.uk/dolphins/music.htm

      Sarojini, in which style do you teach? What other music do you use in
      your classes?

      Nina