#1528 - Tuesday, August 19, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2003

      #1528 - Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      NIna
      NDS

      Lately, nothing.

      I come home, shedding work, the highway, the car, my purse and bags. I
      bring the dogs in and feed them. I wander aimlessly around my house,
      looking for something to do, something to fill the space. I pat the dog
      that crosses my path. I pick things up sometimes, look at them, perhaps
      move them to another spot. To escape this, I sit at my computer and
      dredge up some purpose, like researching every possible thing about any
      possible something. It fills the evening until I can justify going to
      sleep.

      Sometimes, sitting at the computer, my eyes stray above the monitor,
      through the double windows beyond my desk, out into the side yard onto
      the big oak across the way. It is immense and patient.

      Outside, the air is humid, and cold. No, it isn't cold, it just seems
      that way; the sky is fading to dusk and conditioned air blows across my
      bare feet.

      There are streetlights, then fireflies. One sits on my screen,
      blinking. This goes on for hours. I know this because I compare the
      start and finish times on my screen's digital clock.

      There were neighbors here before we moved in, but now there are none.

      Just that giant oak tree. When was it planted? The house was built in
      1929, probably the storm sewer later than that. It is one of the
      largest trees in the neighborhood. When did the storm sewer break and
      send the collected waters of storms flooding over the roots of a
      growing tree? These are questions, but there are no answers. Only
      silence, and rough bark and leaves too numerous to count. It is a face
      off, me and the tree. I wait for it to blink.

      Nanao Sakaki
      Just Enough

      Soil for legs
      Axe for hands
      Flower for eyes
      Bird for ears
      Mushrooms for nose
      Smile for mouth
      Songs for lungs
      Sweat for skin
      Wind for mind

      You are hunting power and this is your place,
      the place where you will store your resources.

      --Carlos Castaneda JOURNEY TO IXTLAN

      "Awareness is putting away dishes quietly."

      Small sign outside the kitchen door at Yasodhara Ashram .

      Jerry

      1958 November Photograph

      kosher turkey golden
      olive radish pickle platter
      loganberry wine sweet
      hoffman soda
      on long narrow table
      at Aunt Hessie and Uncle Morris
      in Passaic
      we smile around the table  Cousin Carl
      Cousin Barbara  Cousin Bruce  Aunt Yetta
      (who's that sitting next to Aunt Yetta?)
      Uncle Benny  Cousin Minnie  Cousin Julie
      Aunt Hessie  Uncle Morris  Cousin Barry  Aunt
      Dot  Uncle Bernie  Grandma Markel  Grandpa
      Markel  Cousin Joanie  my brothers
      Jeffrey  David  parents Sarah  Mel
      & I  all gathered together
      like a ghetto unchained