#1527 - Monday, August 18, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20 4:54 AM
      Gill Eardley
      AllspiritInspiration
      great void

      You no sooner attain the great void
      Than body and mind are lost together.
      Heaven and Hell - a straw.
      The Buddha-realm, Pandemonium - shambles.
      Listen: a nightingale strains her voice, serenading the snow.
      Look: a tortoise wearing a sword climbs the lampstand.
      Should you desire the great tranquillity,
      Prepare to sweat white beads.

      ~Hakuin
      'The Penguin Book of Zen Poetry'
      Edited and Translated by Lucien Stryk and Takashi Ikemoto

      Lorraine
      Talking Stick Wisdom

      Let Go Of The Rage

      We're living our lives with so much rage deep inside,
      it's part of us at times, we feel we must hide
      So we leave it hidden deep down in our soul
      Trying to forget about it not realizing the toll

      The toll that it's taken is you've got a hard heart
      There's a lot less there than you had at the start
      You've let life get to you and it's ripping you apart

      Try to let go of some of that rage
      Try to let go so you can begin a new stage

      A new stage in life that will let you see
      The rage that you hide deep in your soul
      Is what is driving you, it has your control
      Let people know what you think and how you feel
      I know at times it can be a bitter pill
      Hard to swallow but once its gone down
      The relationship you have will be much more profound
      The rage that you store will eat you alive
      Don't let it become part of your drive

      Reach deep in your heart and you'll find that small part
      The part that will win out over the rage
      Letting you begin on a fresh clean page
      Don't keep things bottled up deep in your soul
      Let letting go be part of a new goal
      Soon you will see your back in control
      So try to stay in control each and every day
      And the rage will subside finally going away.

      written by Lynda Cox

      A push to map the mystical.

      As researchers study how
      spiritual experiences happen inside the brain, theologians question the
      point. Sister Constance Fitzgerald of the Carmelite Monastery in Towson
      can't describe Unio Mystica, the direct and immediate experience of God
      that Christian mystics seek through contemplative prayer. All she can
      say is that it's a gift from God -- achieved through a lifetime of
      fidelity. But is it also a gift of human brain biology? Mario
      Beauregard, a University of Montreal neuroscientist, wants to find out
      exactly what's going on during this most intimate of religious
      experiences. http://www.sunspot.net/news/nationworld/bal-
      te.theology18aug18,0,5789331.story?coll=bal-news-nation
      (paste the entire URL into the locator bar).

      Nina

      Also from the above article:

      At the Carmelite monastery in Towson, Fitzgerald said she is wary of
      science diminishing traditional religious practice.

      "I think we have not begun to tap the possibilities inherent in
      contemplative prayer for the transformation of people," Fitzgerald
      said. "We don't have faith that a life of profound prayer really could
      affect the human race."

      Beauregard, meanwhile, is seeking Carmelite nuns in Canada who are
      willing to participate in his study. Some are interested, he said, but
      others worry that he is trying to prove Unio Mystica is merely an
      illusion of the brain.

      He and other spiritual researchers deny that motive. "The last thing I
      would want to do is have our scientists going around in their research
      with respect to their subjects and somehow remove their sense of
      spirituality," said Solomon Katz, head investigator at the Metanexus
      Institute in Philadelphia.

      (End of excerpt)

      It is interesting to contemplate the difference between spending a
      lifetime, if one is so inclined for so long a stretch, in contemplative
      prayer vs. going to an outpatient service designed to immediately
      connect a person to 'God'. Is it the connection to 'God' or the
      lifetime of practice that will 'save the world'? Does it matter if a
      person loses their prescribed sense of spirituality if they are able to
      instantaneously connect to 'God' and get a 'God recharge' anytime they
      want one? Very interesting article and potentialities. --Nina

      Freyja

      Yes, interesting article, and what you say is interesting, too.

      In this seemingly accelerated global information age, with things
      happening so fast, practicing on one's feet is pretty much a given.

      The days of secluded monastic life are largely over. We are, as
      Caroline Myss says, "monks without monasteries".

      Instantaneous connection for the masses to 'God' sounds pretty good!

      Wonder if it will be marketed like broadband connection? Come to think
      of it, maybe in some ways it already is.

      Jan Barendrecht

      The study of researchers regarding the brain in the process of
      "spiritual" experiences is similar to the scientist studying a falling
      apple: at best, some properties are discovered, enabling a better
      understanding of what happens, in a way that the observed phenomena can
      be put to a greater use. Ascribing something as "a gift of God" surely
      has to be interesting for Buddhists, equipped too with a similar brain
      as the sister from the Carmelite monastery. Such descriptions are in
      the "edge of the flat earth" class as such a description suggests it is
      final and doesn't tolerate further investigations. The scientist
      wanting to know the neurological sequence of events on the other hand
      thinks that the sequence of events is the "explanation" whereas it but
      is the biochemical story, only the mystic effectively knows.

      Yet such experiences can be termed worthless as what matters are the
      transients, arising as the secondary effects of the irreversible
      changes: the apperception event happens only once and so does the
      "nirvana with substratum" event: unpredictable regarding the "when" by
      the "enjoyer" hence out of reach for the knowledge hungry scientists.
      Once suffering gone, it lasts but the scientists still have to find a
      way to measure what for the mystic is factual.

      Anyone familiar with the requirements / codes of conduct involved with
      the "nirvana with substratum" event will know it's next to impossible
      to realize that while at a 21 century full-time job and will see the
      old-fashioned Indian style ashram as the blessing of a safe-haven where
      even a Buddhist could behave like "God-intoxicated fool" without
      getting diagnosed as "mentally ill for life" and subsequently encaged
      in funny farm, for life on drugs.

      Thomas Murphy
      See What Is

      Consciousness of Phenomena

      Phenomenal manifestation
      is an intimacy
      between prime matter
      and consciousness
      conceiving what-is.

      Without prime matter
      consciousness
      lacks content.

      Without consciousness
      prime matter
      lacks manifestation.

      So what is prime matter?

      It is the unformed substrate
      of collective (un)consciousness.
      Prime matter underlies
      perceiver and perceived.

      Consciousness and prime matter
      are conjoined in perceiving.

      Prime matter is semen;
      consciousness is ovum;
      perception is offspring.

      tomas
      17aug03
      cwutiz

      Gummuluru Murthy
      Advaitin

      1. Enlightenment is *not* the result of whether we want or do not
         want enlightenment.

      2. Studying the texts does not lead to enlightenment. It is the
         result of our wants getting dropped which is the result of
         cittashuddhi and sAdhana catuShTayam that result in spiritual
         maturity.

         The texts point to this fact; yet, it is only the jnAnam
         that is enlightenment.

      3. shri madathil asks jan " .... Till, then why don't you let the
         talking game be played?  Does that harm anyone?  .."

         The game has to be played, but the important part of the game
         is it has to be recognized by the players that it is a game.
         Either writing to the Lists, or living the life itself - as
         long as it is recognized that it is a game and the game is
         played, that is jnAnam itself.

         But sometime, we forget it is a game and get ourselves seriously
         involved and that is saMsAra.

      Regards
      Gummuluru Murthy

      Daily Dharma

      "Others will always show you exactly where you are stuck.
      They say or do something and you automatically get hooked into a
      familiar way of reacting—shutting down, speeding up, or getting all
      worked up.

      When you react in the habitual way, with anger, greed, and so
      forth, it gives you a chance to see your patterns and work with them
      honestly and compassionately.

      Without others provoking you, you remain ignorant of your painful
      habits and cannot train in transforming them into a path of
      awakening."
                         ~Pema Chodron

      From the article, "Don't Give Up," in the September 2003 Shambala
      Sun Magazine.

      Burning Man:Imaginations Fired Up in the Desert

      There's no shortage of beautiful work to photograph. Oracles, art
      installations, dance clubs, foam domes and fluorescent gardens spring
      up out of truck beds and erupt from RVs. Incredibly, there is an
      organized cohesiveness and a common creed of responsibility expressed
      by all participants: Be expressive, be respectful and leave no trace.

      Every year, the Burning Man organizing team takes on a new art theme to
      shape their new city. This year's challenge to go “Beyond Belief”
      encourages pilgrims to explore and reshape the experience of
      spirituality.

      Leslie Diamond seems eager to push through the mysterious bounds as she
      prepares her shipment for the cross-country container. She says she
      first made the trip to BRC in 2001 because “it sounded like something
      that was missing from my life, something I needed to do.” Leslie looks
      like she could be at home in the boardrooms or in the clubs of Boston,
      but she is making the trek this year as an opportunity to push herself
      and “rejuvenate my soul.”