#1512 - Sunday, August 3, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2003
      Issue #1512 - Sunday, August 3, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      photo: Juniper chinensis 'Shimpaku' specimen, approximately 80 years old.
      Zen and Bonsai Garden, commercial site, yet worth seeing for some great photos.

      photo: Tsukubai Garden

      Lisbeth ~ Monks Mystics

      365 Tao

      Fog chills heaven to gray,
      Nights come earlier.
      Everyone knows decline,
      But few discern its border.

      Although it is summer and there are many warm months to
      come, it is possible to sense that the heavens are already
      turning downward.  Nearly imperceptibly, the fruit is
      ripening on the trees and the nights are lengthening once
      again.  It is too early to talk of autumn, and yet the next
      season is on its way.

      Why do we never prepare for decline?  We all realize that it
      is a valid phenomenon -- we know about the fall of empires,
      the aging of heroes, the lessening of our own skill -- but
      we are not always aware of its approach.  We often realize
      too late that we are in a period of decline, and so we are
      unprepared.  It takes a wise person to perceive the moment
      when things begin to change.

      Summer does not fade away in a day.  Our actions must accord
      with the times.  Just as the decline of summer is gradual,
      so too should our actions be commensurate with the pace of
      change.  Even though decline may be approaching, we must
      gauge how quickly or how slowly events are moving.  If we
      are too hasty -- like someone who notices the first cool
      breeze and immediately dons winter clothing -- we will be
      overreacting.  It is important to think of decline as
      something natural and inevitable.  Therefore there should be
      no emotional values attached to it.  It simply happens, and
      that is all.

      Al Larus ~ NDS

      Turning Point

      Each seventh wave,
      sometimes less
      sometimes more

      shaking rocks,
      the giants are closing the gates

      when the Snipe calls
      the stones to wake

      for each step I take
      towards the sea

      ants and spiders
      bugs and beetles
      run and hide,
      at the turning point
      of low tide.

      Shawn Hair ~  Advaita to Zen

      repost of Pham D Luan's post

       From A Vision of the Sacred
       My Personal Journey with Krishnamurti
       by Sunanda Patwardhan, p. 49

       Insights on the Path:
       A Mystical Communication

       Even individuals who have devoted their lives
       to the quest for the sacred often lose their focus
       and need corroboration of their direction.
       A strange, esoteric event took place once
       during Krishnaji's visit to India. I am speaking
       now about a meeting between a Jain sadhu
       (holy person) and Krishnaji, with Achyutji
       and I as silent and fascinated witnesses.
       The sadhu told Krishnaji, "Sir, for fourteen
       years now, I have devoted myself to meditation,
       yet I am not able to get into samadhi.
       I have been practicing meditation, dhyana,
       but I have not been able to go to the depths of it.
       Can I do this? Will you be able to tell me
       what my impediments are?"

       Krishnaji asked him to describe the kinds
       of meditative practices he had been following.
       After listening to him, he said, "Do you realize
       that you are still acquiring? Open your fist.
       There is nothing to acquire."

       For some minutes, the sadhu was silent.
       He then got up and prostrated himself
       before Krishnaji, who then asked him to
       stay on for some more time. After a while,
       the sadhu said, "Sir, I want to ask you
       one more question. Is it the impact of your
       personality that has given me this [experience]?
       Is this due to your gurukripa [grace of the guru]?"

       Krishnaji replied, "I knew you would ask this
       question. That is why I asked you to stay on
       for some more time. This is not something
       to acquire but to give up. Release your fist.
       Leave everything." He paused for a moment
       and said, "Is it the [new] mind that is asking
       that question? Or is it the mind before you
       experienced 'this' that is full of questions?
       You have been caught up in it again. I took
       you out of it, but you have gone back to it.
       If you stand firmly on that and let go everything,
       'it' will come. 'It' will come, not because you
       want it, but 'it' will come. Have you understood
       what I am asking?"

       The sadhu prostrated himself again before
       Krishnaji, sat down and said, "I don't need
       to go anywhere else." Krishnaji then said to him,
       "The 'other' is out of time, and we live in time.
       And we want to bring timeless into time.
       I have told you all this, but it is not mine."

       Unknowable are the nonverbal experiences
       and mysterious are the ways by which a teacher
       communicates them. What I understood from
       this conversation is that transformations in
       oneself could take place in the presence of
       an enlightened person if one was open and
       vulnerable to the teaching.

      Daily Dharma

      FOUR WORDS TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE:

      You were never born.