Highlights, Saturday, October 30

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1999
      Hello. I hope you're enjoying the humor piece at the end of
      almost every Highlight post. But remember, you can't have
      dessert until you've eaten all your vegetables!

      Love,
      Jerry

      time

      present
      trapped and bound
      as memory
      and anticipation

      a trance of dreams
      tales remembered
      feared and desired
      longed for, resisted

      time
      imagination

      freedom
      truth
      love
      eternity

      this now moment

      --Xan

      Added the following to the Nonduality Salon web page:

      Pieter Schoonheim Samara's 'The Self, Maya, and the Heart:
      The Fundamentals of Non-Dualism', to a new section within
      the Encyclopedia of Nonduality (thanks to the author for
      permission to copy and to Harsha for introducing me to the
      work):

      NONDUALITY: INTRODUCTORY WORKS

      The Self, Maya, and the Heart: The Fundamentals of
      Non-Dualism

      Nondualism: The Radical Perspective

      Nondualism FAQ

      What is Nondualism?
      Please take the link to the website:

      http://www.nonduality.com/new.htm

      PETROS

      Attended satsang with Francis Lucille tonight at Mahayoga,
      13050 San Vincente, L.A.

      He has a good presence and speaks simply and clearly (the
      French accent takes a little getting used to . . .)

      Our nature is consciousness. It is very simple.

      "Thoughts do not think. Thoughts are thought." The thought
      of "ego" is just another one of these thoughts. None of
      them have power to limit what we always are.

      (I am beginning to get to know people here. There seems to
      be a small regular group of people who attend all the
      satsangs in this area and we keep running into each other
      over and over again, comparing teachers and their different
      styles. I met a friend here whom I also saw at Bryon
      Katie's seminar last month and at Neelam's place in Ojai. I
      mentioned that I like to write "reviews" for NondualitySalon
      which he thought was a good idea.
      Another friend told me that Neelam had stopped teaching. I
      will look into this.)

      Francis Lucille is also having a weekend intensive in Malibu
      tomorrow and Sunday.

      Homepage: http://world.std.com/~msnow/lucille.html

      LYNNE

      Hi,

      Sorry about not introducing myself in my first post. I'm
      Lynne, a Canadian woman with three children. I recently had
      an experience quite out of the blue with a force that has
      had me searching for answers. It seems to be "grace and
      kundalini, a 'force' which did not originate with my
      ego-centered will. Whatever one calls it, one's life is
      never the same after." You've got that right.

      Anyhow, a search led me to this website about a month ago,
      and I've been reading most everything posted.

      "Listening to others, considering well what they say,
      Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but
      with undeniable will, Divesting myself of the holds that
      would hold me." W. Whitman

      Thanks all for being here. It has been very helpful to
      listen to you.
      Many hints and clues and joyous silliness, and serious
      striving have come my way as a result.

      I'm here, still listening.

      DAN

      DAN

      In My Humble Opinion: whatever can be stored in memory is
      defined.
      Whatever can be stored can be deleted. What you're looking
      at here points to the ending of the category "enlightenment"
      and the ending of the thought that there is any beginning or
      ending to what is usually called "now".
      With no beginning or ending, "now" loses any meaning as a
      reference point.
      What can be defined or deleted isn't mistaken as a grounding
      for reality.

      GREG: Memory is just another puff of mist, and whatever it
      seems to point to is not present and cannot be proven ever
      to have been. The very world itself, including the seeing
      of it, is made of mist, and the mist is made of sunlight.

      DAN: Memory is a cute toy, a dangerous weapon, a brick
      wall, an empty mirage.
      Memory is time, is comparison, is the cohort of thought's
      reality.
      I don't appear in memory. My being is not memory's image,
      nor thought's edifice. The mist of sunlight - I can't
      comment on that!

      ==GENE POOLE==

      What we refer to as memory may simply be fragments of
      recalled awareness; perhaps to reframe the concept of
      memory, as 'insufficient span of attention', would lead
      towards the result desired.

      It occurs that attention may be called as 'conscious
      awareness'; thus 'conscious awareness' is continual
      attention, and thus the abolition of memory, as memory
      occurs as the fragments of imperfectly perceived reality.

      To 'recall' for information, may be compensation for
      imperfect present awareness. Perfect present awareness
      contains the entire span of attention, always given to the
      entire span.

      JAN

      For a nondualist, Kundalini isn't important; surrender,
      intuiting and grasping are sufficient as this can lead to
      the "first flash". Kundalini merely effectuates nonduality
      (Sat_Cit_Ananda) in mind and body literally: first, by
      making conscious of what *hinders* and then, by "burning" it
      out. This has to be understood as a dynamic, autonomous
      process that will do *anything* to continue, be it the
      production of extra neurons to enable additional
      understanding or the provisions, forcing one to
      circumambulate the Himalayas 1,000,000 times on bare knees
      :)) Non-understanding this "works" just as well and is
      called Grace.

      MELODY

      I have to admit, I really loved this. :-)

      Until a few months ago, I would never have imagined how you
      could put 'kundalini' and 'grace' together in the same
      thought, much less the same sentence.

      But yes, 'Grace' could be used for those who don't
      'understand'. Mostly westerners, I would guess.

      And Kundalini is the term used by those who recognize the
      'process' of surrender.

      That's how I see they are the same. Both seem to
      *demand* a surrendering. With both Grace and kundalini, one
      actually experiences a 'force' which does not originate with
      ego-centered will.

      Whatever one calls it, one's life is never the same after.

      JAN

      It is quite likely that Westerners have a problem with
      surrender. A question I often heard is "how do I know God's
      will when there is a choice?" You appear to know the answer;
      if the ego-centered will is switched off, there isn't a
      choice :) Kundalini is Grace because one can become aware of
      arising emotions before having to "live them up" and this
      speeds up the "burning out" considerably. Knowing all to be
      the work of Grace, enables one to bear the burden of "shit"
      that occasionally comes out of the unconscious too, without
      being affected by it. Experiencing Grace, one gains faith
      and with faith, one gains proficiency.

      Those who visit Lord Yama with the proper attitude, return
      from him with the knowledge of surrender.
      Others have to learn through practice and faith.
      Faith is to know the mountain is there even if it isn't
      seen.

      It is easy to surrender when feeling miserable.
      Surrender when in a pleasant state of mind too.
      It is easy to praise the Lord when feeling fine Surrender
      is, praising the Lord when feeling miserable too.

      It is easy to surrender when feeling deserted with no one to
      care Surrender too, when amidst friends and relatives who
      care.
      Instructed by Lord Yama, surrender is till no feeling is
      left.
      Others have to find out by pain and experience.

      Life is a movie where one is the actor.
      For one surrendered, acting is done.
      The knower of God knows the movie to be an illusion.
      But the knower still can fall in love with another actor :>)
      For one surrendered, this is impossible.
      It is like disdaining one's first Love.

      For one, Self is the pristine bliss without a cause.
      For another, Self is never ending Love, or Beauty
      unparalleled.
      Instructed by Lord Yama, surrender is till no feeling is
      left and one really knows what IS.

      Whether in heaven, on earth or in hell, the Fire of Love
      will burn everything.
      Those who surrender will know what remains.

      OLD HAG

      This thread on Grace and Kundalini reminds me of the last
      darshan of Muktananda before he left the United States for
      India (where he passed away. )

      The meditation hall was jammed with over 500 people with a
      huge overflow watching by remote in the dining area. There
      had been various offerings of poems and Hindi songs by
      Baba's swamis, and then Baba came out to give a talk about
      Shakti and Her "Grace." When he was finished, a swami came
      up to the microphone and told us that a devotee of Baba's
      was going to sing for him. And she just wanted to be
      called, Roberta.

      So, Roberta Flack came up on the little stage pushing a
      keyboard followed by a drummer and guitarist. She sang
      Killing Me Softly directly to Baba, he put a white scarf
      around her neck, and she then sang, The First Time Ever I
      saw Your Face. It was like being in the Twilight Zone
      - you sorta couldn't believe what you were seeing (Roberta
      Flack was big recording star back then.)

      And then she had us all clap our hands as she played and
      sang an old time spiritual. It was funny because Baba
      started shouting something out, and his interpreter, Malti,
      said, "Baba says, this is not a night club!" That didn't
      stop us for a minute. We were having a Shakti ball.

      Then, Roberta quieted us down and said she was going to sing
      a song that we could all sing with her, to Muktananda, to
      Nityananda, to the Divine Feminine who had blessed us all.
      And she played and sang, Amazing Grace, and we all joined
      her - 500 strong and the whole dining hall, too. i bet
      there was not a dry eye in the house.

      When we got to the line, "I was blind, but now I see,,"
      Malti (now Swami Chidvilasananda who succeeded Muktananda),
      whispered in Baba's ear what the words meant, and he nodded
      and muttered happily, "Ah, yes, good, good."

      The hall was filled with so many devotees who had sung so
      often the Hindu songs, sometimes haltingly, trying to
      understand, to get with it, but now, here was a song we had
      all grown up with, that we really "knew", and everyone put
      their heart and soul into it (well, heart and soul that's
      another song, Roberta didn't play that one.,^)).

      Anyway, it was a time to remember. So, thanks for bringing
      back the memory. Yes, old woman here, has always considered
      Grace and Kundalini one and the same. Amazing!

      The Pathway of Nonduality

      by Raphael

      Chapter 8 (concluded)

      Maya

      Q. Is man therefore made of the dualism of being and
      non-being, essence and substance?

      A. Earlier we talked of polarity which resolves itself into
      a transcendental point, a metaphysical point where polarity
      or what we conceptually call being and non-being disappear.

      Q. If also maya-prakriti is a polarity of the metaphysical
      Point, why are we told that maya-prakriti must be rejected?

      A. The metaphysics of Non-duality does not say to desert,
      reject or negate maya. Such an attitude belongs to the
      sphere of avidya. What Asparsa metaphysics tells us is not
      to create identification or identify with maya, not to
      superimpose maya upon purusa or the metaphysical Point,
      taking -- as in the classical example -- the rope for the
      snake.

      If we believe ourselves to be exclusively body-vehicle-form
      (therefore prakriti) we fall into avidya, that is, we fall
      into the error of considering as absolute that which is not
      absolute or to consider that which is imperishable-constant
      as changeable and perishable. The disharmony, aberration
      and chaos of the human individuality derive from the fact
      that the individual considers himself to be only body-form,
      therefore limitation, since each body represents a
      limitation-bondage of being.

      Q. Can avidya be considered absolute, real and permanent?

      A. If it were real-absolute we could never eliminate it.
      Therefore we would be obliged to remain in
      incompleteness-ignorance; we would always remain in error
      without any hope of escape.

      Q. And where does avidya go when it is dispelled?

      A. It comes from nowhere and it goes nowhere. When we
      discover that the rope is not a snake, where does the error
      go? Or else, when we wake up where does the world of
      dreams, projected upon the screen of our 'aura' and made of
      the stuff of prakriti-substance go?

      When we manifest an idea, a thought, we shape a definte and
      geometrical mental image that an acute clairvoyant can see.

      Now, when we stop thinking, where does the form-image go?
      This entire phenomenal universe is an idea materialized by
      Mahat (universal Mind) and, when the supreme purusa stops
      'imagining', it vanishes like a cloud in the sky.

      We have to eliminate two types of identification or of
      super-imposition which are the product of avidya, but which
      are two moments of the same process: one is when we believe
      ourselves to be image-form-body, the other is when we
      believe ourselves to be prakriti at the non-formal or
      undifferentiated stage. We, as purusa, and more so as
      metaphysical Point, are beyond the world of names and forms,
      beyond prakriti-substance itself.

      Prakriti is the instrumental cause of the world of names and
      forms. It is the stuff the individual and the universal
      'dreams' are made of, while purusha is the first cause of
      the movement of prakriti.

      The profound recogntion of what we really are is the goal of
      Samkara's Advaita and Gaudapada's Asparsavada.

      Conflict, disharmony and pain come to an end only with the
      recognition of one's own identity. A society of individuals
      who do not acknowledge their most profound and elementary
      reality, is destined to live in alienation and conflict,
      notwithstanding all the philosophical, socio-political and
      sentimental formulae it can 'create' in time-space;
      time-space represents another name for maya.

      Q. Can maya, therefore, solve the eternal problem of being
      and non-being, of ego and non-ego, and proved an answer to
      the question of how the Abolute has fallen into the
      relative?

      A. Yes. Every duality (like real and non-real, being and
      non-being, ego and non-ego, absoltue and relative, etc.) is
      the outcome of mental representation; it is not
      real-absolute, it is not aseity (the property of a being
      which has in itself the reason and the end of its own
      existence).

      Between Being and what we believe non-being to be exists
      maya; it is sufficient to eliminate it to discover that only
      the absolute Being exists.

      Between the rope and the snake or between the dreaming
      entity and the dream, there is maya; it is sufficient to
      eliminate it to discover that only the rope or the dreaming
      entity exists.

      The Absolute, if it is such, cannot fall into the relative
      or transform itself into the relative, as the absolute Good,
      if it is such, cannot become evil or anything else. What
      changes is not Reality itself, but our maya perspective of
      Reality. The rope remains the rope, but what changes
      (movement) is our perspective, our vision of the snake, of
      the trickle of water, of a stick, etc., which we superimpose
      on the rope, etc.

      Q. Can maya be considered pure illusion?

      A. Maya is not an illusion in the Western sense of the
      word.
      An illusion produces nothing, it is non-existent; an
      illusory event can be compared to a hare's horns. Samkara
      holds that the mayika universe is not like the hare's horns
      or the barren woman's child. In Western terms we can say
      that maya is synonymous with phenomenon, with 'shaping and
      shaped movement'.

      ZEN IN ENGLISH LITERATURE (1941)

      R.H. BLYTH

      Selections from Chapter 14: Don Quixote

      (please see the previous installment in which the poem by
      Byron, commented upon here, is featured)

      "All such efforts fail." It does not need Cervantes to tell
      us that, and anyway, what does it matter? "Of all tales
      'tis the saddest." The only sad tales are those of men who
      renounce their ideals as Don Quixote does at the end of the
      Second Part. "His Virtue makes him mad." There is a
      profound truth in this. It was their virtue that made
      Christ, St.
      Francis, Blake, Daruma, all mad, mad as hatters, compared to
      sane people like you and me. Which is a sorrier sight, his
      life or ours? Again, what is "the great moral taught,"
      which is such a sorry thing? "Noblest views" are not "mere
      fancy's sport:" here Byron's sense of humour is defective,
      laughing at Quixote is one thing, laughing with him is
      another.
      "Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away." Cervantes coud not
      do such a thing. You might as well try to smile the
      pyramids away, smile death away. Byron could not laugh
      religion away in Cain and the Vision of Judgement. The
      chivalry which is made fun of in Don Quixote was already
      dead. The chivalry which Don Quixote embodied is as eternal
      as the faithfulness of Oishi-Yoshiio, the leader of the 47
      Ronin. As to the later decadence of Spain, if it be
      ascribed to loss of Romance, that is to loss of idealism, to
      the loss of power to love the better more than the good,
      this means the loss of power to distinguish the essential
      from the unessential in Don Quixote and this cannot be
      perversely blamed upon Don Quixote itself, except in so far
      as Cervantes defaces his original in the Second Part and
      confuses the issues.

      What was wrong with Spain, what is wrong with every nation,
      every individual, is the lack of the true spirit of Don
      Quixote. Professor Suzuki, in his 'Zen Buddhism and its
      Influence on Japanese Culture,' gives an example of Zen in a
      bullfighter. No doubt it is correct in its way, though the
      bull would afford an equally good example, at the same level
      of intelligence of intelligence and morality. But the man
      who in the history of the world exemplifies all that is best
      in Zen, the man who surpasses Hakuin, Rinzai, Eno, Daruma
      and Shakamuni himself is Don Quixote de la Mancha, Knight
      Errant.

      FROM THE ANANDA LIST

      Two aliens landed in the desert near an abandoned gas
      station. They approached the gas pumps and one of them said
      to it, "Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace. Take us to
      your leader." The gas pump, of course, did not respond.

      The alien repeated the greeting, but still there was no
      response.

      Annoyed by what he perceived as the gas pump's haughty
      attitude the alien drew his ray gun and said impatiently,
      "Greetings earthling, we come in peace. How dare you ignore
      us this way! Take us to your leader or I will fire."

      The other alien shouted to his comrade, "No, you must not
      anger him..."

      But before he could finish his warning the first alien
      fired. There was a huge explosion that blew both of them
      200 meters into the desert where they landed in a heap.

      When they finally regained consciousness the one who fired
      turned to the other one and said, "What a ferocious
      creature! It nearly killed us.
      How did you know it was so dangerous?"

      The other alien answered, "If there is one thing I have
      learned in my travels through the galaxy it is this: ....if
      a guy has a penis he can wrap around himself twice and then
      stick in his own ear, it's best not to piss him off."

      Nonduality Salon Website
      http://www.nonduality.com
      Nonduality Salon Email Forum
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nondualitysalon
      Nonduality Salon List of Nondual People
      http://www.nonduality.com/morea.htm
      Encyclopedia of Nonduality
      http://www.nonduality.com/context.htm
      Nonduality Salon Chat
      http://www.eScribe.com/religion/nondualitysalon/chat
      New to Chat? Please consider the following suggestions:
      http://dragon.minopher.net.au/WebEd/protocol.htm