#1502 - Thursday, July 24, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 7:21 PM
      #1502 - Thursday, July 24, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Are you seeing broken images in some of the Highlights? It could be that you are behind a firewall, or there could be a security setting in your mail, or a personal setting that is causing the problem. There are several email clients and different versions of each one, so you will have to do some investigation in order to get to the bottom of the problem.  I often solve technical problems by bringing them to Google. For example, I might enter -- "broken image" Outlook Express 6 -- into Google. You might want to try -- "security settings" Outlook Express -- using the name of your own email program, of course. The idea is to tell Google the problem and let it show you how others have addressed it. --Jerry

      Letters to the editors:NDhighlights-owner@yahoogroups.com

      ©2003 Jeff Winke

      "When you take photographs, just before you click the shutter, your mind is empty and open, just seeing without words. When you stand in front of a blank sheet of paper, about to make a painting or a calligraphy, you have no idea what you will do. Maybe you have some plan for a painting, or you know what symbol you want to calligraph, but you don't actually know what will appear when you put brush to paper. What you do out of trust in open mind will be fresh and spontaneous. Opening to first thought is the way to begin your action properly."

      ~Jeremy Hayward
      From the magazine, "Tricycle: The Buddhist Review" (seen in Daily Dharma)

      Jeff Winke

      i.   NATURE

      faint autumn moon

      a sheet of newspaper

      crumpled by the wind

      distant thunder clouds gather all the shadows

      dusting of snow

      a sparrow's footprints

      every which way

      ice skin

      on the clear water

      koi move slowly

      ii.   HUMAN NATURE

      EXPIRED meter

      my windshield

      reflects the setting sun

      still winter --

      the distant clatter

      a passing train

      wispy moon

      the long sigh

      of my workday commute

      all night

      that same conversation

      repeated in my head

      biker bar

      the toilet tank

      bolted to the wall

      left

      to the elements

      a shoe

      iii.   NATURAL NATURE

      her seven button

      blouse . . .

      three undone

      hunger moon

      her brown eyes

      deepen

      tentative touch. . .

      her warm breath

      I steal with a kiss

      small bed lamp

      a soft yellow cast

      defines her shape

      rising up

      to meet me...

      the deepening

      afterglow

      the cafe couple lovingly

      devours breakfast

      -----

      Some of these haiku have appeared in the following print or online poetry journals: Modern Haiku, bottle rockets, Brussels Sprout, Samsåra Quarterly, tinewords.com, Frogpond, Raw NerVZ, Electric Acorn (The Dublin Writers Workshop) and poetrynow.org.

      ----

      For Chances, a dynamic, online collection of haiku go to: http://www.bytestudios.com/winke

      ©2003 Jeff Winke.

      Ben Hassine
      NDS

      Holding on the pure I AM the "I" makes Itself known as the Heart of Hearts. It shatters all delusion and suffering in a silent explosion of untold Wisdom.

      ***

      The body and this world is the reflected light, I AM is the mirror, "I" is the sun. Understanding can take you as far as the mirror. At that point there is only one word to utter: surrender.

      ***

      To replies:
      I am not what you think: find out yourself.

      Mary Bianco
      NDS

      American Splendor is new movie coming out in August...looks interesting:

      Bob Rose
      Meditations Society of America

      I just got my copy of Boundless Giving,
        The Life of Sri Swami Satchidananda, and
        it is one of the best publications I have
        ever seen. If you are familiar with the
        work of Swamiji, you are going to really
        enjoy it. If you don't know about him, this
        work of high consciousness will be a great
        introduction to the life and teachings of
        the wisest, most compassionate, humble, and
        loving person I ever met. This is actually a
        special edition of Integral Yoga Magazine,
        which is always top notch. For more information:
        http://www.iymagazine.org/

        Peace and blessings,
        Bob Rose, President,
        Meditation Society of America

      "O you followers of Truth! If you wish to obtain an orthodox understanding of Zen, do not be decieved by others. Inwardly or outwardly, if you encounter any obstacles kill them right away. If you encounter the Buddha, kill him; if you encounter the Patriarch, kill him; . . . kill them all without hesitation, for this is the only way to deliverance. Do not get yourselves entangled with any object, but stand above, pass on, and be free!"

      - Lin-chi (translation: Suzuki)