#1501 - Wednesday, July 23, 2003

  • Know Mystery
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2003

      #1501 - Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - Editor: Joyce (Know_Mystery)

      Manuel Hernandez  ~ ANetofJewels

      The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      "The only difference between us is that I am aware of my natural state,
      while you are bemused. Just like gold made into ornamentals has no
      advantage over gold dust, except when the mind makes it so, so are we one in
      being, we differ only in appearance. We discover it by being earnest, by
      searching, enquiry, questioning daily and hourly, by giving one's life to
      this discovery."

       Viorica Weissman ~ Million Paths   &  Jan Barendrecht ~ NondualitySalon

      Flower_Path2

      Flower Path 2

      Photo by Jan Barendrecht

      LET ME WALK IN BEAUTY

                   NATIVE AMERICAN TRADITION

      O Great Spirit,
          Whose voice I hear in the winds
          and whose breath gives life to all the world,
          hear me.
      I am small and weak.
      I need your strength and wisdom.
      Let me walk in beauty
          and let my eyes ever behold the red and and purple sunset.
      Make my hands respect the things you have made
          and my ears grow sharp to hear your voice.
      Make me wise so that I may understand the things
          you have taught to my people.
      Let me learn the lessons you have hidden
          in every leaf and rock.
      I seek strength not to be greater than my brother or sister
          but to fight my greatest enemy, myself.
      Make me always ready
           to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes
      So when life fades as the fading sunset
           my spirit may come to you without shame.

      Great Spirit of love,
          come to me with the power of the North.
      Make me courageous when the cold winds of life fall
          upon me.
      Give me strength and endurance for everything
          that is harsh,
          everything that hurts,
          everything that makes me squint.
      Make me move through life ready to take what comes
          from the North.

      Spirit who comes out of the East,
         come to me with the power of the rising sun.
      Let there be light in my world.
      Let there be light on the path that I walk.
      Let me remember always that you give the gift
         of a new day.
      Never let me be burdened with sorrow by not starting over.

      -------- from God Makes The Rivers to Flow

      Jan Sultan ~ SufiMystic

      Self-interest and self-concern - Nisargadatta

      Self-interest and self-concern are the focal points of the false. Your daily
      life vibrates between desire and fear. Watch it intently and you will see how
      the mind assumes innumerable names and shapes, like a river foaming between the
      boulders. Trace every action to its selfish motive and look at the motive
      intently till it dissolves. Discard every self-seeking motive as soon as it is
      seen and you need not look for truth; truth will find you.

      ~ Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj ~

      Brigitte Mohr ~ BuddhistWellnessGroup   &   Alan Larus ~ HarshaSatsangh

      Heaven is calm and clear

      Heaven is calm and clear,
      Earth is stable and peaceful.
      Beings who lose these qualities die,
      While those who emulate them live.
      Calm spaciousness is the house of spiritual light;
      Open selflessness is the abode of the Way.
      Therefore there are those who seek it outwardly
      And lose it inwardly,
      And there are those who safeguard it inwardly
      And gain it outwardly.

      ~ Huai-nan-tzu ~

      Water_Lilies

      Water Lilies

      Photo by Alan Larus

      Sshomi ~ AlongTheWay

      Every mode of perception is subjective

      Learn to look without imagination, to listen
      without distortion: that is all. Stop attributing
      names and shapes to the essentially nameless
      and formless, realize that every mode of perception
      is subjective, that what is seen or heard, touched
      or smelt, felt or thought, expected or imagined, is
      in the mind and not in reality, and you will experience
      peace and freedom from fear.

      ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj ~

      "I Am That"
      Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
      The Acorn Press, 1973

      Pete  ~ DirectApproach
      The Case for Compassion

      Yes, it's only a dream. But that's a fool comfort. You are the dream, the whole dream. You are the one reading this, and the one who wrote it. You are the child looking for food on the garbage dump, the Spanish Doctor in Sweden, the Jew in the concentration camp, and Hitler screaming "Deutschland uber alles." You are Buddha on the cross and Christ under the Bo tree. You might not feel yourself dying from AIDS in a miserable hut in Africa, but you are, and you will feel it one way or another. You are the dream, the whole dream. Make it a compassionate one, a happy one because.... you'll be back, baby!

      Best wishes,
      Pete

      Christian & Stephen ~ josephcampbellmythologygroup

      Crowley and Campbell

      [Christian]

      Isn't Crowley best known for the phrase "Do what
      thou wilt" (or more precisely "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole
      of the Law")? Is it just me, or does this sound strikingly like
      Campbell's maxim "Follow your bliss?"

      [Stephen]

      Intriguing question. I can see where some might confuse the two -
      especially those who misinterpret JC's maxim as advice to give
      oneself over to purely hedonistic pursuits, believing bliss means
      pleasure but they are two distinct and different statements.

      Crowley's words involve the concept of Will - do what You Will shall
      be the whole of the law (followed, in the wiccan rede, by the
      words "an ye harm none," a caveat missing in most people's minds).
      It's a powerful creative principle, involving an individual self
      willing an outcome - generated from within, arising from individual
      will and desire but Campbell uses bliss for passion - follow your passion, your
      reason for being - which might be different from what you will. You
      might consciously will to become a lawyer or computer programmer
      and/or make a lot of money - but if your bliss, your passion -
      your Calling - is music, or teaching, or preaching, or building, or
      writing - then by all means, follow the Call...

      What is one's bliss?

      It is what you are doing when time drops away and you reside in an
      eternal now. I sit down to write in the morning, stare into space
      alot, flip through books, put words on paper or screen, re-arrange
      those words, stare into space a bit more, craft another paragraph or
      two

      and suddenly notice it's dark outside

      ...but i just had breakfast...

      what happened to lunch?

      Where did the day go?

      You know you are in your bliss when in an eternal moment ... ("eternal"
      doesn't mean "forever," but "timeless" ... from the Latin ... e =
      outside; ternal = time). When you are in your bliss, you aren't
      thinking about the argument with your spouse, or how you're going to
      pay the light bill Tuesday, or what you should do for dinner, or how
      the boss came down on you yesterday, or what's on television tonight
      ... when you are in your bliss, time ceases to exist (whether that
      bliss is sculpting clay or crunching numbers).

      We don't "will" our bliss: we "discover" our bliss.

      How do we discover our bliss?

      Socrates' direction is relevant here:

      "Know
      thyself."

      We don't just choose our bliss out of thin air, like choosing a soft
      drink ... instead, our bliss chooses us. Sometimes friends and family,
      who know our strengths and weaknesses, who have watched our character
      form and grow, have have a better sense of our bliss than we
      ourselves (how many people on this forum have been telling me for
      years to write a book, before I figured that out for myself ... where
      do you suppose they came up with that notion? How did they know this
      was my bliss before I did?).

      Some are lucky ... they know from childhood what they want to do. I
      just received a call this evening from a former student, starting her
      sophomore year in high school. She asked my help last summer in
      editing a novel she was writing. I was brutal ... she wrote draft after
      draft and she just learned this afternoon that she has an agent, and a
      publisher!

      Lindsay has always known that she would be a writer ... no hesitation,
      just absolute certainty.

      Most of us aren't that lucky. It takes some stumbling and groping
      around before we get a sense of who we are and where we are headed.

      But once we hear the Call, and heed the Calling, magick happens!

      Campbell points out that, when we follow our bliss, "...doors open
      where you would not have thought there would be doors ... it's as if
      there's been a track waiting there all along ..."

      That has been my experience...

      (For those who haven't a clue where their bliss lies, Campbell
      advises writing down or recording your dreams. Do this long enough,
      and clues will leap out at you ... but this takes time and
      discipline.)

      There is some resonance with Crowley's maxim ... though I'm more
      familiar with the wiccan interpretation, which places one's will in
      harmony with nature, and advises against harm, proclaiming that the
      energy one puts out into the universe, for good or ill, comes back on
      oneself three times over (or more, in some traditions)

      ...but the way I delineate the difference in my head (which may or may
      not make sense to anyone else) is that "do what thou wilt" begins
      with the individual will, and involves a conscious creation or re-
      creation of the world around one

      whereas "follow your bliss," while beginning with a yearning within,
      is a process of discovery, where the individual finds in the outside
      world that which resonates with one's own soul...

      the two aren't mutually exclusive ... in fact, they can be quite
      compatible ... but the emphasis is different

      following my bliss
      (and only occasionally
      bumping into reality...)

      bodhibliss

      Bekir Sulunhat ~

      Go Away

      Go away, for sure go away
      Add another black thorn into my eyelashes
      Give me the city that I have not got used to
      Take my parts destroted by your looks
      And then go away
      If you should go, go for sure
      Dosen't destroy this city
      Merely all the buterflies I touch
      Would die
      My hands get cold
      I am afraid if it rains
      As well take my hands

      Ebru

      Ebru

      Ebru Painting by Bekir Sulunhat

      Ebru

      Ebru

      Ebru Painting by Bekir Sulunhat

      Ninety Nine

      While dhikring the ninety nine names on mystic faces
      A bewildered face of the century
      seeking the vaceted manner from the veil
      in front of the mosques
      at the twelve sitting cross legged calligraphies
      My breast is ambergris my skin is amber
      I cense and poem the words
      A steam of bitter carnation smiles in my divan
      Come and read me, spent the night in my divan
      Take the words from my bosom
      They flow as the beads of rosary does among my fingers

      Paul Cote  ~  AdvaitaToZen

      The case for perfecting

      "When the ego has been cleared of identifiable programs, it then
      faces dissolution since its software or tapes have been erased.
      However, it has one trick still remaining, a great trap into which
      even famous spiritual adepts have fallen. This is the great
      confrontation with the supposed reality of the abyss of the `Void'.
      That this is merely a product of the ego rather than Reality is
      already known to students of these presentations. They will remember
      that there is no opposite to the Allness of God. Nothingness is
      neither a possibility nor a reality. It is the ego's last desperate
      bid for survival.

      The groundwork for the acceptance and believability of this error has
      been laid by misunderstanding the teachings of the Buddha. The
      correct translation of the Illumined State as "void" actually
      means "devoid of content, not containing any thing or form." It was
      misconstrued as meaning "nothingness" as the supposed opposite of
      Allness. Using reason as a tool, it can be seen that nothingness
      cannot exist, or be, or represent a valid option.

      The paradox of the void of nothingness versus the reality of Allness
      is the last great positionality to be transcended. Were it not for
      the presumed authority of certain misinterpretations of the Buddhist
      teachings, it would have fallen away as an error that is resolvable
      just by reason. If the nothingness of the Void were the absolute
      reality, then there would be neither a seeker nor a void to be found.
      To be truly void, even voidness would not be a realizable option as
      there would be nothing to realize and no one to realize it.

      The Void is not to be feared but refused. The Void is a trap for the
      aspirant who follows the pathway of negation. It does not present
      itself as an option to the pathway of affirmation, for to such a
      pathway, voidness would present itself as total non-love.

      Allness versus Nothingness is a classical duality and is the ultimate
      pair of opposites to transcend. When one follows the strict pathway
      of negation, the state of Void as such does indeed present itself.
      This results from the error of avoiding love due to the
      misunderstanding of love. The attachment to love is really the trap
      and the barrier to enlightenment. In Reality, love is freedom, but
      attachment to love is a limitation.

      Another error of the pathway of negation is the teaching that one
      should release all beauty, perfection, and joy. Here again, the
      attachment to these is the barrier. In actuality, these are the
      attributes of God. To negate the attributes of God is to facilitate
      the arrival of the option of the Void.

      The Void is indeed very, very impressive. One is beyond karma and all
      programs. This state appears to be infinite, endless, nonlinear, and
      forever. It is so profound that it precludes any thought. It is a
      nonlinearity, devoid of any content. Importantly, however, there is
      something missing, and that is the presence of Love. This state
      presents itself as `beyond Love, and therefore believable to the
      pathway of negation.

      In the experience of that state of Void, simultaneously present was
      the knowingness that if the Void, or nonexistence, were the ultimate
      reality, then what still existed in order to witness the nothingness?
      If the Void were the ultimate, there would be no survival to claim
      its authenticity. The benevolence of the Self seemed to be the source
      of the call, but to respond to it took prolonged and intense endeavor.

      This final duality of whether the Ultimate Reality is existence or
      nonexistence had first presented itself in this lifetime at age
      three. This soul had gone that way before and, as a spiritual adept,
      had chosen the Void. Thus, at each physical death, consciousness went
      into the Void because of its belief in its reality, and then it was
      shocked and surprised to finds itself back in another physicality. If
      the Void were the Ultimate Reality, no return to consciousness would
      have been possible. There is no 'knower of the Void' for such a
      knower would also have been voided. Because the Void is an illusion
      and not a reality, one cannot stay in the Void. When one realizes the
      error, one recognizes that what had been experienced had been
      oblivion. (The calibration level of this explanation of the Void is
      1,000.)

      Oblivion is not an unwelcome desire of the ego; in fact, many people
      consciously look forward to the supposed oblivion of death (meaning
      no more possible suffering). One can be sympathetic to that wish, but
      Reality is insistent that one return to consciousness, awareness, and
      the continuation of evolution.

      To repeat, there is no opposite to the Allness, Love, and Totality of
      God. Unless one is unreservedly willing to surrender one's very life
      and die for God, then spiritual purification should be the goal of
      one's endeavor instead of enlightenment."

      Joyce  ~

      Staying Alive

      The Personal Identity Game

      Objective: The aim of the game is to stay alive!

      How to play: There are three rounds. In each round, you will be presented with a scenario and then offered two choices. The decisions that you make determine whether you stay alive or perish. You should always base your decisions on nothing more than the desire to keep yourself in existence. Also, note that you should take each scenario presented to you at face value. The situation will be as described - there are no "tricks" - and you do not need to worry about other 'what ifs'.

      At the end of the game you will discover if you have stayed alive or not, although, being a philosophical game, the answer won't be that straightforward...

      http://www.philosophers.co.uk/games/identity.htm

      Quixote ~ smartgroups2

      The Amusement of the Gods

      Something wonderful has happened to me. I was caught up into the seventh heaven. For those who might be confused....its right past the sixth, just before the eighth....that's the place..........

      Anyhow......There sat the gods in assembly.By special grace I was granted the privilege of making a wish."Wilt thou," said Mercury, "Have youth or beauty or power or a long life or the most beautiful maiden or any of the other glories we have in the chest? Choose, but only one thing." Momentarily I was at a loss.( imagine that ) Then I addressed myself to the gods as follows: " Most honorable contemporaries, I choose this one thing, that I may always have laughter on my side." Not one of the gods said a word; on the contrary, they all began to laugh. From that I concluded that my wish was granted, and found that the gods knew how to express themselves with taste; for it would hardly have been suitable for them to have answered gravely: " Thy wish is granted."

      Can't remember who authored that, I'm sure someone might know.....it really makes no difference other than to give credit, where credit is due.....I suppose

      I've realized lately that when you're mad, you don't have to apologize........Oh that's just Quixote, pay no attention, he's crazy.......Ha Ha.....How crazy am I ? .....oops never mind, do not answer that......Let me just say that, " All you who profess to be of the normal, are allowed to cast a stone upon me." Please understand that you will be doing me a favor.........as I enjoy being stoned.....there are worse things in Life......not that I need to make excuses..........so I won't.....I've even heard that is against the law.....who's law? Not mine.......Yes, I do live in this world, but I am not of it........  Q.

      Is it " Nothing ventured, nothing gained" or " Better safe than sorry?"

      Desmond Chiong ~ BuddhistWellnessGroup
      Yantra
      1. Prepare to give yourself 90 seconds of perfect stillness
      2. Relax. Loosen up. (No one is watching!)
      3. Clear your thoughts. Still your mind.

      http://www.modernbuddhism.com/3/index.html

      Tykal ~ AdyashantiSatsang  &  Alan Larus ~ HarshaSatsangh

      Wordless

      Untitled

      Photo by Alan Larus

      None & All

      :-)
      None & All

      all that, this

      dreaming
      what it's like
      to be itself
      with no
      and every
      self
      to speak of
      and being
      the self
      it dreams of

      like dreaming
      and being,
      two words
      for the same
      wordless thing

      ~
      no

      (blank)
      to be
      save
      the (blank)
      one is

      - Tykal

      Jinavamsa ~ insightpractice

      We Want Not To See.

      We want not to see what we take to be painful or ugly.
      So we don't look.
      From not looking comes not seeing.
      From not seeing comes not knowing.
      From not knowing comes lack of confidence.
      From lack of confidence come vulnerability, brittleness, fragility.
      From vulnerability and such comes fear.
      From fear comes defensiveness.
      From defensiveness comes hostility.
      From hostility comes lack of understanding of others.
      From lack of understanding comes lack of compassion.
      From lack of compassion comes superficiality of relationship.
      From superficiality of relationship comes frustration in the sphere of love.
      From love frustration comes pain.
      Not wanting to see pain or ugliness, we close ourselves in,
      creating some of the very pain we will later have to experience or avoid experiencing.

      When we see that this is the price we pay for not looking,
      we are more willing to look even at what we take at first glance to be painful.

      Sisyphus

            http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/books/TheFarShore/WeWantNotToSee.html        http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/books/TheInnerPalace/TIP_reviews.html

      Joyce  ~  HarshaSatsangh
      Poetry as News:
      Can Poetry Really Change the World?

      by Lawrence Ferlinghetti

      "What is Poetry?"

      "Poetry is news from the frontiers of consciousness.

      Poetry is what we would cry out upon awaking in a dark wood in the middle of the journey of our life.

      A poem is a mirror walking down a street full of visual delight.

      Poetry is the shook foil of the imagination. It should shine out and half blind you.

      Poetry is the sun streaming down in the meshes of morning.

      Poetry is white nights and mouths of desire.

      Poetry is made by dissolving halos in the ocean of sound.

      Poetry is the street talk of angels and devils.

      Poetry is the anarchy of the senses making sense.

      Poetry is the voice of the fourth person singular.

      Poetry is all things born with wings that sing.

      A poem should arise to ecstasy, somewhere between speech and song.

      Poetry is a voice of dissent against the waste of words and the mad plethora of print.

      Poetry is what exists between the lines.

      Poetry is made with the syllables of dreams.

      Poetry is far, far cries upon a beach at nightfall.

      Poetry is a lighthouse moving its megaphone over the sea."

      Two_Lights

      Two Lights - Boston Harbor

      Art by joyce know_mystery

      Entire essay at: www.corpse.org/issue_4/critical_urgencies/ferling.htm

      Peter Kloppert ~ Sangha

      commentary on grandpa's compassion

       Buddha walking on a grain of sand wich is by narrow minds divided
      in a amer ica and a in dia and many etc etera's

      Who and what you are in this mystic ?

      There is much here that I have read that resonates with who and what
      I am not.

      To be a Buddha what we are, not a nationality

      I'am

      Tim Gerchmez ~ AdvaitaToZen

      Zen site...

      Found this rather lighthearted, meandering and interesting set of
      webpages after doing a Google search on "stink of enlightenment" ...

      http://www.geocities.com/the_wanderling/

      Didn't get into it in-depth, but plenty of cute musings and looks
      like a lot to do (especially if you enjoy casual reading about Zen
      and Buddhism).

      Here's another way in (seems like there are a million "doors" in and
      out):

      http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/bodhidharma/modern-era.html

      Cheers,

      Tim

      Helga ~ AdvaitaToZen

      Dr. David R. Hawkins

      You asked:
      ~~ "Hey, anyone heard of this guy?" ~~

      *** I have.

      You posted some excerpts from David's latest book "I" .... which I've just
      purchased. I'm still reading his work "Power vs Force".

      And I'm hanging around this Map for now :-) .....

      http://www.transformationinst.com/sniadach/MAPofCONSCIOUSNESS.htm

      There are several Yahoo!-groups discussing Hawkins ......

      Smiles from Down Under,
      Helga

      Panhala ~ Joe Riley

      The Gift of Tongues

      Everything I steal, I give away.
      Once, in pines almost as tall as these,
      same crescent moon sliding gently by,
      I sat curled on my knees, smoking with a friend,
      sipping tea, swapping Coyote tales and lies.

      He said something to me
      about words, that each is a name,
      and that every name is God's. I who have
      no god sat in the vast emptiness silent
      as I could be.
      A way that can be named

      is not the way
      . Each word reflects
      the Spirit which can't be named. Each word
      a gift, its value in exact proportion
      to the spirit in which it is given.
      Thus spoken, these words I give

      by way of Lao Tzu's old Chinese, stolen
      by a humble thief twenty-five centuries later.
      The Word is only evidence of the real:
      in the Hopi tongue, there is no whale;
      and, in American English, no Fourth World.

      ~ Sam Hamill ~

      Web archive of Panhala postings at www.Panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      Lobster  ~ CreativeSolutionsForPeace  & Buddhist_Healing   &  Richard Burnett

      METHODS OF NONVIOLENT ACTION

      198 METHODS OF NONVIOLENT ACTION
      (apologies if you have already received this or find it
      duplicitous)

      Below is the Table of Contents of Gene Sharp's book
      The Methods of Nonviolent Action,
      Boston 1973.
      The book is available from
      War Resisters League, 339 Layfayette St. NY NY 10004
      (212) 228-0450 for $13.25, including postage

      THE METHODS OF NONVIOLENT PROTEST AND PERSUASION

      FORMAL STATEMENTS
      1. Public speeches
      2. Letters of opposition or support
      3. Declarations by organizations and institutions
      4. Signed public declarations
      5. Declarations of indictment and intention
      6. Group or mass petitions

      COMMUNICATIONS WITH A WIDER AUDIENCE
      7. Slogans, caricatures, and symbols
      8. Banners, posters, and displayed communications
      9. Leaflets, pamphlets, and books
      10. Newspapers and journals
      11. Records, radio, and television
      12. Skywriting and earth writing

      Healing Buddha: http://tooting.webspace.fish.co.uk/medicine/

      Ayutthaya

      Ayutthaya, Thailand

      Photo by Richard Burnett

      Toby Wilson ~ AdvaitaToZen

      Impossibility of Transformation

      "You are not supposed to be something higher, you are invited to
      adore something higher. The lower is then not left behind, it is
      infused, awakened and transformed."

       ~ John de Ruiter ~

      Ginger ~ OmniConscious
      My father presented a copy of Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu many, many years
      ago...not sure who did the translation. I too was deeply touched by the
      Tao....and then there is The Tao of Pooh...one of my all time favorites.

      "While Eeyore frets ...
      ... and Piglet hesitates
      ... and Rabbit calculates
      ... and Owl pontificates
      ...Pooh just is."

      When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in
      the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and
      mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

      Rainbow

      "You may be sure that a question which requires music for an answer,
      can't be put into words."

       ~ David Lindsay ~

       "Voyage to Arcturus"

      Do you Yahoo!?