#1497 Saturday, July 19, 2003

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2003

      NDH #1497 - Saturday, July 19, 2003
       Editor: Christiana

      from What is Enlightenment website:

      Stacey Heartspring Encounters the Postmodern
      Craze of Neo-Advaita

          A Truly Imaginary Spiritual Satire

      ...These days the 'satsang circuit,' with its plethora of new, or 'neo,' advaita teachers, is attracting quite of bit of interest." Now, don't worry, dear readers if, like me, you're in the dark about satsangs and advaita, I did some research, made a few calls, and am here now to present, for your spiritual edification (and mine), this very special event: the first neo-advaita "satsang," or spiritual
      gathering, to take place without the usual impediments of space and time.

      THE NEO ADVAITA PANEL (some surprising guests also show up)

      STACEY: Welcome, everyone, to the Fourth Dimension! Wayne
      Liquorman, Esther Veltheim, Tony Parsons, Gangaji, Francis
      Lucille, and Isaac Shapiro, I'm just delighted that you could join
      me for what is certain to be a consciousness-raising event. As
      some of the most well-known Western teachers on the current
      neo-advaita scene, you trace your roots to Advaita Vedanta, the
      ancient Hindu philosophy of nonduality, conducting satsangs with
      people all over the world. This is my first satsang. So, could you
      begin by telling us what a satsang is, and how it relates to Advaita
      Vedanta?  [read this thought provoking satire at
      http://www.wie.org/j22/stacey.asp]

      Art: Willow_zzen (Tamara) from LiveJournal

      from An interview with Dr. Don Beck by Jessica Roemischer
      http://www.wie.org/j22/beck.asp

      Having just immersed myself for the past three
      months in Spiral Dynamics an incisive and far
      reaching theory of human development, I can say
      without exaggeration that Spiral Dynamics is,
      indeed, one of the major breakthroughs in
      mapping and managing complexitythat complexity
      being us.

      WIE: Could you outline the spiral model with its
      hierarchy of eight memes, or levels of existence?

      DB: In the language of Clare Graves, the spiral's
      "First Tier" is a set of six memes characterized by
      existence or subsistence. What that means is
      that we're more like animals than like gods and
      we have to deal with what are essentially
      earthbound existence problems. So the First Tier
      (BEIGE, PURPLE, RED, BLUE, ORANGE, GREEN)
      clusters together our "subsistence" or
      survival-level concerns, while the Second Tier
      (YELLOW, TURQUOISE) works to create healthy
      forms of all the First Tier systems in the context
      of an information-rich, highly mobile global
      community. While Graves identified eight levels
      of existence, with a ninth on the horizon, the
      Spiral is expansive, open-ended, continuous, and
      dynamic. There is no final state, no ultimate
      destination, no utopian paradise. It's a
      never-ending upward quest, with each stage but a
      prelude to the next, and the next, and the next.

      WIE: And what drives the evolutionary emergence of these stages, or memes, up the spiral?

      DB: Our crises, because they provide the inflection points and the benchmarks that trigger the shift up to the next level of human development. And each level of existence, or meme, is more like an emerging wave, a fluid living system, than a rigid hierarchical step. Once a new level appears in a culture, all of the previously acquired developmental stages remain in the composite value system. In Ken Wilber's language, each new social stage "transcends but includes" all of those that have come before. For this reason, the more complex thinking systems have greater
      degrees of freedom.

      Aweboss (Jerry Katz) Live Journal

      "Kriya is a Sanskrit word that means 'action.' In the context
      of the risen Kundalini, kriyas refers to involuntary movements
      which result from increased life force --pranic energy -- in
      the body. Those who meditate or do yoga regularly may also
      experience kriyas during their practice." --El Collie

      Like chickens or ducks or anything in a shell:

      Whatever it takes to get out

      crasch LiveJournal Life In 130 Square Feet

      For me, life in a tiny house has been truly blissful. With everything at arm’s reach and nothing superfluous in the way, I have found a real sense of luxury here. But I am certainly not proposing that a house as small as mine is for everyone. I am only saying that the
      scale of our homes should be as varied as the spatial needs of their occupants and that it is these needs, rather than imposed regulations and conspicuous consumption, that should determine house size.

      I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded
      by mystery than live in a world so small that my mind
      could comprehend it. - Harry E. Fosdick

      There is no pleasure without some degree of pain.
      There is no pain without some amount of pleasure.
      -Bhante Henepola Gunaratana,
      "Mindfulness in Plain English"
      zen_within peregrinus Livejournal

      OK, let's say this is all a dream. You can't get out of the dream by
      doing some kind of practice to convince yourself that the dream
      isn't real. You get out of the dream by fully accepting the dream,
      by deeply looking at it, not trying to escape it at all. You accept the
      sensations, the thoughts, the fears, etc., without trying to escape
      into a more "spiritual" place.

      We have been told to enquire 'who is this me?' by Ramana
      Maharshi, very ernestly. This presumes that 'I' am not 'me'. Who is
      making this enquiry ? Answer: 'me' + 'I', which has forgotten its
      independent 'I' nature.

      Don't be quick to answer your own question. That just brings the
      inquiry to an end, back to the known. We are making a leap into
      the unknown.

      Vicki Woodyard to NDS - Thoughts too vague to matter

      Listcology

      I haven't even had breakfast yet and I am thinking of what
      Jerry wrote about listcology and how and why we post here. If
      everything just "happens," then a list is an event to which
      everyone is invited. The ones who come are those who had to
      be there.

      We all post in a unique way. I like to roll my posts in chopped
      nuts before hitting send. Why? You got me. Even the heavy
      stuff ends up with a cherry on top. I enjoy posts that are sent
      by the jesters and wags among us, as well as the artists like
      Al Larus, Sam, et al. And then there are the posts that parse
      and analyze, sifting truth from falsehood.

      We exist as readers and lurkers as well. Peeping Toms
      looking into egos undressing themselves. Sometimes it is
      downright embarassing the way we bare our idiosyncracies
      and hearts. Our depths are plumbed by our own instruments
      and we almost never admit that we, too, can be shallow.

      As far as using the list to broaden our perspectives, I am not
      sure if that happens very often. We are too entrenched in
      strengthening our positions and looking in the mirror of the
      list. We see ourselves in odd, distorted ways as well as true
      ones.

      Nds is indeed an ecology, a garden and a gathering place, a
      watering hole. It's a strip joint, AA and an art museum. At
      times it is play therapy, grief counseling or adult education.
      When we read the highlights we see that it is also the art of
      commingling ourselves with others. We blow bubbles and
      sing songs that quickly fade but it is what we do. I, for one,
      have found my thrill on nds hill.....(The moon stood still....and
      luckily Alan took a picture :)

      Jerry: That's a good report of the scene. It's a view that clues us in
      that we're dealing with something beyond netiquette, list
      theme and moderation. Listcology, as it's developing, seems
      to be beyond that stuff. It's a mental/emotional group
      informational telepathic quantum plasma, if you will. Totally
      flowing, giving, harmonizing. And I'll ban the hell out of anyone
      who disagrees.

      But seriously, I'm interested in where the listcology thing will go.

      Benny:      Lists are a part of the social domain as is also the street
                      Both encourage intercourse
                      whether in the physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual realms
                      An airing of our laundary
                      a shake out of the rugs
                      tiny bits and pieces
                      all float up in the breeze

      Nonduality Salon (/\)

      Jan Barendrecht

      what no one can teach
      beauty shows to all senses:
      "in perfect silence"

      Michael Read

      I stumble drunkenly
      from door to door
      Pounding on windows
      And yelling  -
      there is too much love!
      It can't all be just for me!
      Come and share!
      There is plenty!

      photo: Orchid cactus

      Osho - Meditation is a state of no-mind.

      Meditation is a state of pure consciousness with no content.

      Ordinarily, your consciousness is too full of rubbish, just like a
      mirror covered with dust. the mind is a constant traffic: thoughts
      are moving, desires are moving, memories are moving,
      ambitions are moving - it is a constant traffic! Day in, day out.
      Even when you are asleep the mind is functioning, it is dreaming.
      It is still thinking; it is still in worries and anxieties. It is preparing
      for the next day; an underground preparation is going on. This is
      the state of no meditation.

      Just the opposite is meditation. When there is no traffic thinking
      has ceased, no thoughts move, no desire stirs, you are utterly
      silent - that silence is meditation. And in that silence truth is
      known, and never otherwise. Meditation is a state of no-mind.

      The first thing is to know what meditation is. Everything else follows.

      I cannot say to you that you should do meditation, I can only
      explain to you what it is. If you understand me you will be in
      meditation; there is no should to it. If you don't understand me you
      will not be in meditation.

      from Xan - Discovering the Mermaids Thor Janson

      A Story of Kinship with All Life

      November 8, 1977. Upon awakening
      the next morning I looked over the side of my boat and saw evidence of two manatees grazing on the other side of the lagoon. Then one head broke the surface and looked over in my direction. During the morning the two gradually edged closer and closer to the boat. One was a juvenile male about six feet long, the other, an adult female, measured about 11 feet. Both seemed unusually fat.

      As I watched them I felt an unusually strong and persistent attraction towards
      them, a feeling I was not familiar with. I
      had the strongest, though unexplainable,
      impression that they were trying to communicate with me. I
      lowered my hand and lightly splashed the water. To my extreme
      surprise, the adult manatee, seeing this, came right up to the side
      of the boat and lifted her head above the water. I slowly lowered
      my hand until it was within an inch of her nose. In a quick
      movement she pushed her nose upward, nudging my hand, and
      disappeared back into the water.

      I could hardly believe this had happened. I felt a mild tingling
      sensation from head to feet. I put my hand back into the water and
      within a few seconds I found myself stroking a big, soft, manatee
      nose. She would stay for a few moments and then go away, only
      to return again in a minute or two. This went on for quite some
      time until I decided to see what would happen if I entered the
      water. I could not have been better received. The huge, but
      graceful, sirenium swam over to me and brushed up against my
      body. I rubbed her back. This she seemed to like very much. We
      swam together around the lagoon.

      I had begun to wonder what had become of the young male when I
      happened to notice him following us at some distance. Eventually
      he too came over and allowed physical contact. This interspecies
      meeting continued for most of the day and the young manatee
      became increasingly playful. He would allow me to come just
      within reach of him and then would rocket away at full speed
      (which for a young manatee is about 12-15 mph). At other times
      he would allow me to put my arms around the middle of his body
      and we would swim together. Unexpectedly, in a quick,
      jack-knifing movement, he would throw me off and swim around in
      circles. The older female was not interested in this sort of play,
      preferring to solicit my scratching and rubbing.

      Near dark, after grazing for a time on some tender grass along
      the bank, my new friends swam over to me. I realized that they
      were about to leave. I can only say that I feel that a bond of love
      existed between us. I watched from the middle of the lagoon as
      they swam out of sight. I felt that this had been one of the most
      joyful days of my life.

      quotes from Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      The world is but a show, glittering and empty. It is, and yet it is not.
      It is there as long as I want to see it and take part in it. When I
      cease caring, it dissolves. It has no cause and serves no
      purpose. It just happens when we are absent-minded. It appears
      exactly as it looks, but there is no depth in it, nor meaning. Only
      the onlooker is real, call him Self or Atma. To the Self, the world is
      but a colourful show, which he enjoys as long as it lasts and
      forgets when it is over. Whatever happens on the stage makes
      him shudder in terror or roll with laughter, yet all the time he is
      aware that it is but a show. Without desire or fear, he enjoys it, as
      it happens.

      Everytime you refresh a new quote from 'I am that'.

      Susan Dane

      Contrary to popular opinion, the unenlightened mind cannot grow
      itself up into spiritual awareness. Illusion doesn't "grow into "truth.
      It dissolves, and what remains in its place is truth.

      Spirituality is about one central thing--not self promotion or
      self-improvement, but rather becoming the space where Spirit
      lives its life as us.

      My Me Mine

      Perhaps one of the most politically incorrect things to question is
      the concept of possession.

      All the vested interests are against questioning it. Religion has
      amassed property, holy books, beliefs galore. Economics
      supports it in the notion of the market and profit. Politics affirm it
      by nation and leadership. Science goes beyond it in its theories
      but in practice the scientists have nobel prizes.

      Which is not to say communism is the answer, that would be a
      reaction. Such that the philosophy of Marx becomes applied by
      'communists'. The description becomes a prescription for some
      one to hold to.

      The question, then, is there such a thing as possession, at all?
      What do we mean by 'mine'? Does anything or anyone possess
      identity?

      What proof are we offered for it? Well, I've been shopping and I
      have the receipt. This house is mine (or the loan company's)
      because there are deeds in writing to say so. I gave money for it,
      and money is real. Or its mine because there are laws which say
      so, because there are police, armies, guns to protect it. Or
      because I have arms and legs to protect and define my space.

      More personally. Things are mine because I can hide them. I can
      put them behind walls, behind locked doors, in my memory. My
      body is mine because it can feel pressure, pain, pleasure. My
      thoughts are mine because I can think them, because I have
      control.

      Now there is the rub. How do I control myself? How do I pull myself
      up by my own bootstraps? I have yet to find an answer to this.
      Further the alternative seems now to be true.

      The alternative? That there is no self to control, to act or possess.

      In conclusion, it is not being suggested that one possess nothing,
      but that the self/possession concept was ill founded from the first.
      That the security it promises is only illusion, a source of fear.

      Wen-tzu eight 8

      Lao-tzu said:

      The totality of all beings goes through a single opening; the roots
      of all things emerge from a single gate. Therefore sages measure
      a track to follow once and do not change the original or vary from
      the perennial. Freedom is based on following guidance, tact is
      based on honesty, honesty is based on normalcy.

      Joy and anger are deviations from the Way, anxiety and lament
      are loss of virtue, liking and disliking are excesses of mind,
      habitual desires are burdens of life. When people become very
      angry, that destroys tranquility; when people become very joyful,
      that dashes positive action. Energy diminished, they become
      speechless; startled and frightened, they go crazy. Anxiety and
      lament burn the heat, so sickness builds up. If people can get rid
      of all these, then they merge with spiritual light.

      Spiritual light is attainment of the inward. When people attain the
      inward, their internal organs are calm, their thoughts are even,
      their eyes and ears are clear and their sinews and bones are
      strong. They are masterful but not contentious, firm and strong yet
      never exhausted. They are not too excessive in anything, nor are
      they inadequate in anything.

      Nothing in the world is softer than water. The way of water is
      infinitely wide and incalculably deep; it extends indefinitely and
      flows boundlessly far. Increase and decrease pass without
      reckoning. Up in the sky it turns into rain and dew; down in the
      earth it turns into moisture and wetlands. Beings cannot live
      without it, works cannot be accomplished without it. It embraces
      all life without personal preferences. Its moisture reaches even to
      creeping things, and it does not seek reward. Its wealth enriches
      the whole world, without being exhausted. Its virtues are
      disbursed to the farmers, without being wasted. No end to its
      action can be found. Its subtlety cannot be grasped. Strike it, and
      it is not damaged, pierce it, and it does not smoke. Soft and fluid,
      it cannot be dispersed. It is penetrating enough to bore through
      metal and stone, strong enough to submerge the whole world and
      take and give. It is bestowed upon all beings without order of
      precedence, neither private nor public, it is continuous with
      heaven and earth. This is called supreme virtue.

      The reason water can embody this ultimate virtue is that it is soft
      and slippery. Therefore I say that the softest in the world drives the
      hardest in the world, nonbeings enter into no gap.

      The formless is the great ancestor of beings, the soundless is the
      great source of species. Real people communicate with the
      spiritual directorate, those who participate in evolution as human
      beings hold mystic virtue in their hearts and employ it creatively
      like a spirit.

      Therefore the unspoken Way is very great indeed. It changes
      customs and mores without any order being given. It is only
      mental action: all things have results, but it only stays by the gate.
      Thereby it is possible to find the end of the endless and the
      ultimate of the infinite, to perceive things without being blinded
      and to respond echolike without minding.

      ~ translated by Thomas Cleary

      Illusion

      [Marilyn] Where did the illusion come from????????

      [Halim] Well, it used to be a well illusion before it got sick.