#1496 - Friday, July 18, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2003
      #1496 - Friday, July 18, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      Lee Love ~ E-zendo

      I wrote this for the ClayArt list, but thought I'd share it here too.

          We all come to clay by different paths.

                   I decided to become a potter at my zen teacher's funeral.     It
      went something like this:

                   I helped attend my teacher during his illness with lymphoma.    I
      was one of a half dozen male students that attended him.  We each took a
      different day of the week.   I think one of his sons took the 7th day.   We
      would help my teacher up to the 3rd floor, where he slept, when he couldn't get
      about on his own.      I carried him on my back on several occasion.

             About 6 months after his illness was diagnosed, he went into remission.
      I took this opportunity to ask him to let me to take priest vows.  I had studied
      with him the total of about 6.5 years by then.    He told me he would make me a
      zen priest, but wanted me to talk to my wife about it and think about it for one
      year.     I told him that Jean and I had spoken about it many times and she
      supported my decision.   But my teacher said that marriage was important and
      that every married student that he allowed to become a priest ended up getting
      divorced.   So he said, "take care of your marriage, and in a year, I will give
      you the vows. "   I agreed to wait a year.

              Six months later, he  died.    At the funeral, I decided that I didn't
      want to start over with another teacher.   And that because my teacher said he'd
      give me the vows, that was good enough for me, and if I lived my life as though
      I had taken the vows, that it was as good as taking them from him.     The only
      reason you need the papers, is if you want to marry and bury people.     I
      figured, because my teacher had 12 dharma heir priests, that this aspect would
      be taken care of by them.

              I was fortunate to be able to attend my teacher's body while the
      traditional 3 days before cremation was observed.    Constant meditation periods
      were held during the 3 days and I took my turn at being one of the "bell
      ringers" during that time (the lead time keeper of the mediation period.)    The
      person who came out from California, to direct the funeral preparations was able
      to find a traditional nailess casket, made by a Hassidic casket maker.
      Usually, what people do, is put the body in a disposable cardboard liner that is
      then put in a rental casket.    For cremation, only the body and the cardboard
      box is put into the oven.    But with a nailess traditional pine box like what
      the Hassidic craftsmen make, you can just put the whole casket in the cremator.

              I was really taken by the craftsmanship that this plain pine casket
      represented.     I decided, because of the craftsmanship of this casket, which
      was very similar to the craftsmanship of Shaker furniture, that I wanted to
      become a potter and make urns for people's ashes, with the same spirit that this
      Hassidic casket maker did.    That was March of 1990.   In the fall, I enrolled
      in my first  evening clay class at the UofMN.   I didn't make a very logical
      choice.

              I am currently studying traditional wood block printing with a teacher
      here in Mashiko.  If you ever visit the Messe museum, you'll see his
      illustrations in the covered bridge on the way to the museum buildings.    He
      also made prints that are sort of charactures that you see everywhere, of
      Hamada, Leach and Yanagi.    He is also a fine potter, but has not fired his
      noborigama in many years.  He is a living, breathing, "Unknown Craftsman."

              One time, someone asked my teacher, Itoe Sensei, why he didn't fire his
      noborigama any more.     Itoe-san answered:  "A couple birds made a nest in the
      chimney of the noborigama.    I didn't think I should disturb them."

      --
      Lee In Mashiko
      Ikiru@...

                                          ~~Bernard Leach~~
                                                  (As told to Dean Schwarz)

      Jan Barendrecht ~ NDS

      The enlightenment issue is a non-issue when born to parents like those
      of Jnanadeva:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8107/bios1.html
      Prevent the formation of childhood conditioning and childhood enlightenment is the case.

      excerpt:
      -----------------------
      Once, when Swami Ramanand visited Alandi, Rukhamabhai prostrated towards him in reverence.
      Seeing the spirituality in her face, Ramanand blessed her with good spiritual children.
      Rukhamabhai smiled wryly and told him that her husband was an ascetic and was actually his disciple.
      Ramanand went back to Benares and told Vitthalpant to go back to Alandi and resume the married life and have progeny.

      Vitthalpant went back and shocked the whole community by resuming his married life
      (In India, once a person takes sanyas, one can not resume the material life under any circumstances).
      They had four children in quick succession. Jnaneshvar (hereafter refered as Jnanadeva) was the second child.
      The eldest was nivritti and Sopana was the third male child. The last child was his sister, Mukti.
      One may appreciate the names: nivritti, and jnana are sopana (ladder) for attaining mukti.
      -----------------------
      Hur Guler ~ NDS

      well, i cannot top this story.  that's why hindus dominate the
      mythical devotion genre.

      on the other hand, if it was an american soap opera, pretty rukha
      would fall in love and have an affair with the powerful cardinal rama
      and spin the "thornbirds II."  after getting rukna pregnant, the
      cardinal rama immediately releases the husband vitta from his
      priestly mission, so he could hurry back and assume the married life,
      thinking the child is his.

      listening to the stories of longing by his love torn mother, the
      child jnana grows up with the mission to save the world from the
      evils of devotion.  once he reaches the age where he is proficient in
      nondual-lingo, jnana starts giving satsangs in california.  he finds
      the same 20 people who show up at every satsang, mentally comparing
      jnana to the mythical gurus that they've only read about.  jnana then
      realizes the impossibility of his nondual mission.  luckily jnana has
      another talent.  he takes up a career in singing sappy love songs in
      bars to the hopeless lovers who never recovered from their lost
      love.  jnana knows full well that this is the heart which wine cannot
      console and yet the songs in him sing themselves despite himself.

      Jerry Katz ~ NDS

      The following comes from the Universal Life Church:

      "Special Title" - $10.00 Your title will be recorded in the
      permanent church records. Nice 8x10 certificate is inscribed
      with your name, title, and date issued. Another great gift
      idea. You must select a title from drop down list:

      Abbe
      Abbess
      Abbot
      Ananda
      Angel
      Apostle of Humility
      Apostolic Scribe
      Arch Deacon
      Arch Priest
      Archbishop
      Archcardinal
      Ascetic Gnostic
      Baron
      Baroness
      Bible Historian
      Bishop
      Brahman
      Brother
      Canon
      Cantor
      Cardinal
      Channel
      Chaplain
      Cleric
      Colonel
      Cure
      Deacon
      Dervish
      Directress
      Disciple
      Druid
      Elder
      Emmisary
      Evangelist
      Father
      Field Missionary
      Flying Missionary
      Free Thinker
      Friar
      Goddess
      Guru
      Hadji
      Healing Minister
      High Priest
      High Priestess
      Imam
      Lama
      Lay Sister
      Magus
      Matriarch
      Messenger
      Metropolitan
      Minister of Music
      Minister of Peace
      Missionary
      Missionary Doctor
      Missionary Healer
      Missionary of Music
      Missionary Priest
      Monk
      Monsignor
      Most Reverend Christian
      Mother Superior
      Mystical Philosopher
      Orthodox Monk
      Parochial Educator
      Pastor
      Pastor General
      Pastoral Counselor
      Patriarch
      Peace Counselor
      Preacher
      Preceptor
      Priest
      Priestess
      Prophetess
      Prophet
      Rabbi
      Rector
      Religious Preacher
      Revelator
      Reverend
      Reverend Father
      Reverend Mother
      Right Reverend
      Saintly Healer
      Scribe
      Seer
      Shaman
      Shepherd
      Sister
      Soul Therapist
      Spiritual Counselor
      Spiritual Healer
      Spiritual Warrior
      Starets
      Swami
      Teller
      Thanatologist
      The Very Esteemed
      Universal Philosopher of Absolute Reality
      Universal Rabbi
      Universal Religious Philosopher
      Vicar
      Wizard

      -----------------------------

      Me, I can't decide between Druid or Universal Rabbi. But I have a feeling if I get both titles I'll turn into Woody Allen.

      Jerry

      David Holmes ~ HarshaSatsangh

      Gurus, gurus everywhere
      The ones outside inform and entertain, thrill and disappoint
      The One inside liberates

      As you please . . .
      Worship a personality, a hill or a Bodhi tree
      Or just let it all be what it is

      Take the dust at another's feet
      Or take the dust is at your own feet
      It's all just as dusty
      (Just keep your credit card and your dignity)

      Love is Love
      And one day Love will find itself and be free
      And that day has already come

      Polluting the ether with more words .. . .
      Sitting at the feet of my Sangha friends . . .
      Feeling there are no strangers in the Heart . . .
      Letting gurus be friends and friends be gurus . .. .
      I am home.

      Blessings to you all . . .
      Smiling and shining in one another

      Love,
      David

       Here are the latest stories. People who can't see the links can visit http://nonduality.com

      Jerry

      Stories added Thursday, July 18

      Sometimes to get a lesson on spirituality, all you have to do is listen, and you'll find that "message" we're all looking for. Or, sometimes it will find you. -more-

      "The loss of language is here," says Jimmy Begaye, a Navajo language teacher at Ganado High School. "And we need to do something about it." -more-

      Huston Smith's eyes still dance when he leans forward and begins to talk about the world's religions. -more-

      Seattle: "Discovering Buddhist Art" features roughly 100 pieces of sculpture, painting, ritual objects and textiles from the fourth to the 18th centuries. -more-

      Noted Gujarati poet Rajendra Keshavlal Shah has been selected for the conferment of Jnanpith award for 2001. ...advaita philosophy remained dear to his heart..." -more-

      Tonight, I will like to time travel 100 years into the future, and predict some major developments in information technology... -more-

      What happens when you enter 'RV' and 'Jewish' together into Google? So look already.

      FREYA ~ NDS

      There is a very funny and well-made film
      recently out on VHS and DVD called
      "The Guru",  which has been described
      as "campy Bollywood musical meets
      American screwball comedy".

      Something some of you non-duelers will no doubt appreciate
      in this film is the satirization of the American/Western tendency to
      "buy into" anything that smacks of
      Eastern spirituality, without knowing what
      it is, for instance,  how they assume that ALL Indians and their mannerisms are
      spiritual,  when they are just being......Indian.

      There is a very funny scene about "spiritual sex", and
      the singing, dancing and the ultra-bright colors
      are fabulous!   Something for everyone!

      cheers,

      Freyja

      Jerry Katz ~ NDS

      I sent a couple of notes on viewing this list as an ecosystem. I came across the following piece by Swedenborg at http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj/leonj/leonpsy/instructor/gloss/psychobiology.html

      Swedenborg made observations about the behavior of our spiritual bodies in the other world. I slightly modified it to apply to this list, or lists, instead of "the other world." See how much sense it makes in places. Note how the list, like "the other world," is -- or could be -- a place where boundaries loosen considerably.

      1. Individuals on the list cannot think by themselves but only in
         groups.

      (note: when you think about this list or any list you're involved in, see if you think about the list as a group energy or vibration and not a single person or cluster of identifiable individuals. This jibes with a foundational thought I had about Nondual Activism a couple of years ago: "I'm suggesting that a person on these lists can know a felt group of many and can act as the group, and that this has power even if no one else knows that the felt group is, through an act of attention, a part of the action.")

      2. No one can lie on the list, i.e., think one thing and say
         another.

      3. External environmental features are functionally related to
         internal affective and cognitive states.

      4. Similarity of affective states brings interpersonal
         co-presence.

      5. Intelligence and power on the list are functions of good
         uses acquired. "Good uses" are actions
         performed for the sake of others rather than self only.

      5. On the list the insistent denial of truth causes insanity.

      6. There are no degenerative diseases and death on the list,
         but there are deformations and non­functioning elements.
         For example, antisocial feelings and attitudes produce a
         deadening of the senses, a darkening of the field of
         vision, and a general cold invades and slows the body. By
         contrast, altruistic and sociable feelings and intentions
         generate warmth and a quickening of all bodily functions
         and uses.

      7. On the list every individual feels compelled to act out
         their feelings and thoughts. Under these conditions, the
         person soon evolves a clear hierarchy of motives by which
         the person is ruled. It is easy, Swedenborg reports, for
         others to predict your behavior as soon as they know and
         see your motivational or affective hierarchy. A person's
         "ruling love," or chief drive and motive in life, shows in
         the person's facial expression, body posture and
         appearance, and matching verbal behavior.

      8. Growth on the list amounts to the continuous and never
         ending exploration or deepening of the packet of affections
         we brought with us from offlist. Since on the list
         affections create ecology, it can be seen that external
         evolution of the list matches the internal growth of
         the people. But it is to be remembered that no one can
         exist separate from some group, hence the list is
         characterized by disparate group evolution ­­ which is one
         of the striking features one notes when traveling on the
         list (what a marvelous anthropological field it must be!).

      --------------------------

      It might be interesting to start a list initially dedicated to itself as a list community. The common interest will not be anything other than the list itself. People will be assigned care of the different spaces that I spoke of in an earlier post. When all that is looked after, then people will be invited who have something to talk about. Let's say the topic is nonduality. The new members of the community will have to interface with the keepers of the spaces. What's the purpose of all this? To empower the list, the group. To charge it in a way that hasn't been done before.

      Daily Dharma

      In 1989. during a retreat for psychotherapists held in Colorado, Fritz
      Perls made the statement, "You are you, and I am me, and
      if by chance we meet, that's wonderful. If not, it couldn't be helped."

      Thich Nhat Hanh wrote a poem in reply:

      "You are me, and I am you.
      Isn't it obvious that we 'inter-are'?
      You cultivate the flower in yourself,
      so that I will be beautiful.
      I transform the garbage in myself,
      so that you will not have to suffer.
      I support you;
      you support me.
      I am in this world to offer you peace;
      you are in this world to bring me joy."

      ~Thich Nhat Hanh

      From personal notes.

      Blessings to all.  May peace and peace and peace be everywhere.