#1494 - Wednesday, July 16, 2003

  • Know Mystery
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2003

      Shawn ~ Nisargadatta
      The Goal and the Process

      When you speak of a path, where are you now? And where do
      you want to go? If these are known, then we can talk of a path.
      Know first where you are and what you are. There is nothing to
      be reached. There is no goal to be reached. There is nothing to be
      attained. The conception that there is a goal and a path to it is
      wrong. We are the goal or peace always. You are the Self. You
      exist always.

      If there is a goal to be reached it cannot be permanent. The goal
      must already be there. We seek to reach the goal with the ego,
      but the goal exists before the ego. What is in the goal is even
      prior to our birth, that is, to the birth of the ego. Because we
      exist the ego appears to exist too.

      There is no reaching the Self. If Self were to be reached, it would
      mean that the Self is not here and now and that is yet to be
      obtained. What is got afresh will also be lost. So it will be
      impermanent. What is not permanent is not worth striving for,
      Self-enquiry is the process and the goal also. "I am" is the goal
      and the final reality. To hold to it with effort is self-enquiry.
      When spontaneous and natural it is realisation. If one leaves aside
      self-enquiry, the most efficacious spiritual practice, there are
      no other adequate means whatsoever to make the mind subside. If made
      to subside by other means, it will remain as if subsided but will
      rise again. Self-enquiry is the one infallible means, the only direct
      one, to realise the unconditioned absolute being that you really are.

      ~ Sri Ramana Maharshi ~  "Absolute Consciousness"

      Tom Hickcox ~ AwarenessTheWayToLove

      #1494 - Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - Editor: Joyce (Know_Mystery)

      Amrita ~ DailyDharma
      Let Go
      "To let go in the deepest recesses of the heart, to release all struggle and
      wanting, leads us to that knowing which is timeless. As one teacher has said:
      'After I opened beyond any sense of myself, I could feel "my pain"
      change to "the pain," the pain of the world. I saw how the universe moves
      and the planet is on fire - that much pain - and yet it all could be held, and it
      didn't touch anything. It rested in the midst of an immense peace.'
      "In the gate of sorrow we free ourselves from illusions and grasping,
      from a false separation form all life, and hold it all. We can rest in
      the great heart of Buddha, in the heart of the One Who Knows. "
      ~ Jack Kornfeld ~

      From the book, "After the Ecstasy, The Laundry," published by Bantam.

      Ely ~ DirectApproach

      The Raven

      Photo by Alan Larus

      The Direct Approach is About Dreaming

      The process of awakening generally does not take hold or quicken
      until one attains or moves to the position of the witness. That
      position or point of view is prior to all that arises in ones
      perception. It is essentially the position of the dreamer who
      witnesses the universe arising within his consciousness.
      The position can only be held if one abides in stillness and does not
      judge or cling to that which arises. It is not necessary to think of
      what arises as real or dream or to make temporal (past or present) or
      spatial (inner or outer) judgments...simply hold to the still point
      and dispassionately witness the unfolding content of your
      consciousness. The process will unfold without effort...without a

      The family of five were enjoying their day at the beach.  The
      children were bathing in the ocean and making castles in the
      sand when in the distance a little old lady appeared.  Her gray
      hair was blowing in the wind and her clothes were dirty and
      ragged.  She was muttering something to herself as she picked
      up things from the beach and put them into a bag.

      The parents called the children to their side and told them
      to stay away from the old lady.  As she passed by, bending
      down every now and then to pick things up, she smiled at the
      family.  But her greeting wasn't returned.

      Many weeks later they learned that the little old lady had
      made it her lifelong crusade to pick up bits of glass form the
      beach so children wouldn't cut their feet.

             Anthony de Mello, S.J.

      � 1988 by the Center for Spiritual Exchange

      Photo by Alan Larus

      Ed Kelly ~ AdyashantiSatsang

      Re: No Thinking At All

      Here is more of the same from Adya. This is handed out at all his
      retreats. There is great depth in this piece. I have read this many
      times and it is still revealing itself to me.

      True Meditation

      "True meditation has no direction, goals, or method. All methods aim at
      achieving a certain state of mind. All states are limited, impermanent
      and conditioned. Fascination with states leads only to bondage and
      dependency. True meditation is abidance as primordial consciousness.

      True meditation appears in consciousness spontaneously when awareness is
      not fixated on objects of perception. When you first start to meditate
      you notice that awareness is always focused on some object: on thoughts,
      bodily sensations, emotions, memories, sounds, etc. This is because the
      mind is conditioned to focus and contract upon objects. Then the mind
      compulsively interprets what it is aware of (the object) in a mechanical
      and distorted way. It begins to draw conclusions and make assumptions
      according to past conditioning.

      In true meditation all objects are left to their natural functioning.
      This means that no effort should be made to manipulate or suppress any
      object of awareness. In true meditation the emphasis is on being
      awareness; not on being aware of objects, but on resting as primordial
      awareness itself. Primordial awareness (consciousness) is the source in
      which all objects arise and subside. As you gently relax into awareness,
      into listening, the minds compulsive contraction around objects will
      fade. Silence of being will come more clearly into consciousness as a
      welcoming to rest and abide. An attitude of open receptivity, free of
      any goal or anticipation, will facilitate the presence of silence and
      stillness to be revealed as your natural condition.

      Silence and stillness are not states and therefore cannot be produced or
      created. Silence is the non-state in which all states arise and subside.
      Silence, stillness and awareness are not states and can never be
      perceived in their totality as objects. Silence is itself the eternal
      witness without form or attributes. As you rest more profoundly as the
      witness, all objects take on their natural functionality, and awareness
      becomes free of the mind's compulsive contractions and identifications,
      and returns to its natural non-state of Presence.

      The simple yet profound question, "Who Am I ?," can then reveal one's
      self not to be the endless tyranny of the ego-personality, but
      objectless Freedom of Being-Primordial Consciousness in which all states
      and all objects come and go as manifestations of the Eternal Unborn Self
      that YOU ARE."

      ~ Adyashanti ~

      Shawn ~ Nisargadatta

      gate gate paragate back to where I started from

      "Nothing stands in the way of your liberation
      and it can happen here and now, but for your
      being more interested in other things. And
      you cannot fight with your interests. You
      must go with them, see through them and
      and watch them reveal themselves as mere
      errors of judgments and appreciation.
      Discard every self-seeking motive
      as soon as it is seen and you need
      not search for truth; truth will find

      ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj ~

      "Just look away from all that happens in your mind and bring it to the
      feeling "I am". The "I am" is not a direction. It is the negation of
      all direction. Ultimately even the "I am" will have to go, for you
      need not keep on asserting what is obvious."
      ~ Nisargadatta Maharaj ~

      JP Poffandi ~ NondualitySalon

       Le Roi est mort. Vive le Roi!

       My dear NDS Friends,

      This afternoon, I am going to a funeral home to dress the corpse of
      my father.

      Tomorrow, I will give his eulogy.

      His body will then be buried under a silver birch tree, in a cemetary
      in Toronto, returned to Mother Earth to dissolve into the stuff of
      stars, grass, flowers, trees - sweet nourishment for living

      My children will be at the funeral to hear their father talk about
      their grandfather, about Life and Death.

      I will speak to them of the One Love in all of this.

      Together, we will be silent witness to the continuation of Life and
      Love in this vast cosmic dance of vibrant Form and Emptiness.

      One day, they will attend my own funeral, accompanied by their own
      daughters and sons.

      And so it is.

      In this temporariness, in this interdependent, interarising,
      everchanging dreamscape dance and flow - through tears of joy and
      sorrow - Love is.

      My father, even during his days of terrible madness and suffering,
      would again and again proclaim the one thing that he felt he knew
      without doubt. He would tell me:

      "My dear son, remember always that the One God is a God of diversity."

      Yes, my beloved father. Unity in diversity.

      Please, no condolences.

      Instead, simply join me in proclaiming:

      OM! AH! HUM!

      Father Death Blues (Don't Grow Old, Part V)

      "Hey Father Death, I'm flying home
      Hey poor man, you're all alone
      Hey old daddy, I know where I'm going

      Father Death, Don't cry any more
      Mama's there underneath the floor
      Brother Death, please mind the store

      Old Aunty Death, Don't hide your bones
      Old Uncle Death, I hear your groans
      O Sister Death, How sweet your moans

      O Children Deaths go breathe your breaths
      Sobbing breasts'll ease your Deaths
      Pain is gone, tears take the rest

      Genius Death, your art is done
      Lover Death, your body's gone
      Father Death, I'm coming home

      Guru Death, your words are true
      Teacher Death, I do thank you
      For inspiring me to sing this Blues

      Buddha Death, I wake with you
      Dharma Death, your mind is new
      Sangha Death, we'll work it through

      Suffering is what was born
      Ignorance made me forlorn
      Tearful truths I cannot scorn

      Father Breath, once more farewell
      Birth you gave was no thing ill
      My heart is still, as time will tell."

      Allen Ginsberg

      Douglas E. Fireman ~ Spiritual-Friends

      Arboreal Memories

      Gnarled and withered
      the lonesome tree
      once stood like a sentinel,
      its vibrant roots
      silently burgeoning
      in receptive ebony soil

      And now...,
      like an old man grieving
      his lost youth, tree limbs
      hang limply toward
      the parched earth

      A single drop of sap
      absorbs the sunlight
      evoking arboreal memories,
      when seed, first sown
      by timeworn winds,
      took root and blossomed
      into life's uncertainties.

      Photo by Bernie Ranson

      Ely ~ DirectApproach

      Her Grace

      Drawing by Bill Rishel

      The Third Approach Love-Bliss
      The key to realizing our true nature is being still (not pursuing).
      When that is done at the center of perception regarded as the
      discriminating mind we awaken to clear or non-dual mind. When we are
      still at the heart center we awaken to our ecstatic nature. The
      practice of holding attention (being still) at the points of
      perception releases the conditioned content of consciousness at the
      root emotional and mental levels. In doing so we awaken to what is on
      the conditional level (dualistic) as well as the source or non-dual
      level. You move through the spectrum of your consciousness
      witnessing (and there by releasing) the fears, sorrows and
      conditioning that you have accumulated since birth. These are the
      memories both consciousness and unconsciousness that we mistakenly
      identified as self. Being attentive at the centers of perception and
      facing who and what you are is not escape from what is...

      Helena Vidrascu ~  NondualitySalon
      Alice's conversation with the Chesire Cat

      "Chesire-Cat", Alice began, "would you tell me please, which way I ought to go from here?"
      "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
      "I don't much care where-----" said Alice.
      "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
      "------so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanantion.
      "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
      Alice felt that this could not be denied, so she tried another question.
      "What sort of people live about here?"
      "In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a
      Hatter: and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March
      Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
      "But I don't want to go among mad people,", Alice remarked.
      "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad.
      You're mad."
      "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
      "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouln't have come here."

      Yosy Flug ~  SufiMystic

      i am reminded, dear friends, of a following tale (nasrudin, of course lol)

      an officer, back from wars, stopped in a small roadside tavern. while waiting
      for service he noticed that in the whole area were lots of shooting targets
      drawn. upon closer scrutiny, he saw to his amazement that in each of the
      targets there was a single arrow embedded - in the precise centre of the
      bullseye... unable to contain his curiosity, he asked the proprietor: "who is
      this master, that shoot all those arrows?"

      "oh, it's my son, nasrudin" answered the owner.

       "could i please talk to him?"

       "sure, he's around".

      when nasrudin presented himself, the officer's curiosity grew - he was just a
      barefeet boy in his early teens! "pray tell me, young man," said the officer. "did
      you shoot all those arrows?"

       "yes, i did" answered nasrudin.

      "well, i am the best sharpshooter in my regiment, but i am not nearly that good!
      who is the master that taught you? could i have the good fortune to be introduced
      to him?" said the excited officer.

      "oh, mister officer, it is not what you think" said nasrudin. "you see, first i shoot
      "the arrows - then i draw the targets!"

      Mike Pendragon  ~ smartgroups2
      My Philosophy
      PEN DRAGON - as in writes and breathes fire :-)
      I'm all for down-to earth, practical, and provable ...... I am a
      simple guy, really ............... and I see "proof, practicality,
      and down to earth" wherever I go.
      My philosophy of life was
      well summed up by the American comedian Bill Hicks .....
      ""Its like a ride in an amusement park and when you go on it you
      think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride
      goes up and down, round and round, it has thrills and chills, and
      it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud. And it's fun for a
      while. Some have been on the ride a long time and they begin to
      question : Is this real, or is this just a ride ? And others have
      remembered and they come back to us and they say : "Hey, don't be
      afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we kill those people.
      "Shut him up, I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up. Look
      At my furrows of worry, my big bank account, and my family. This has
      to be real."
      It's just a ride, but we always kill those good guys who try to tell
      us that and let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter because
      it's just a ride, and we can change it anytime we want. No job, no
      savings, money, just a choice right now between fear and love."
      Life is a game. To be enjoyed, not endured.
      My motto. Don't take life too seriously. No one ever got out alive !

      Freyja ~ AdvaitaToZen

      Photo by Alan Larus

      Jack Says You Can't Handle The Truth
      Wanting the truth of who you are means that
      there is a you that thinks
      there is some truth to get that you don't have.
      And thinking you now have that
      truth and know exactly how you got it
      is more of the same.
      Somehow I learned how to ride a bicycle.
      A bicycle came to me somehow.
      Something, somehow, prompted me to keep trying
      to stay up on the bicycle until one day, without
      knowing that it was going to happen, or how it
      happened, or having any kind of knowledge like,
      "On the sixth day of trying to get
      up on your bicycle for six hours a day, you will
      definitely know how to ride a bicycle."....
      it finally....just....happened.
      It is a process for which there are only markers, but,
      the markers are not the process.
      And, now,  how ever it happened,
      I will never, ever forget how to ride a bicycle.
      Do I know what caused the process of
      learning to occur or what caused that crossover
      click to happen? That permanent
      adjustment of synaptic recall?
      Those that see others "avoiding"
      whatever prescriptive truths they are offering
      are doing just that.
      Avoiding the truth.
      Oh. How subtle we are.
      Which, again, is all a part of what is and what is happening....
      It's just the way it is.
      The buck stops nowhere. Until it does.

      Bill Rishel ~ SufiMystic
      you get to give up all your rights

      All there is
      that counts for anything at all
      is what honesty *knows* is true,
      and it lives for that
      and it dies for that;
      it is everything for that.
      It is just a one way flow:
      everything that *you* are
      for what you *know is true*.
      You finally get to give up all of your rights:
      your right to love, happiness, pain relief, peace
      ...your right of way.
      And all that remains
      that has any right of way,
      ever again, is
      the tiniest little bit
      that you *know is true*.
      There is nothing easier.
      That is what this life is for.
      That is what the surface bodies are for:
      living vehicles to express Truth,
      not what we want or need.
      When we are quieted and gentled inside,
      we actually *know*.

      -John de Ruiter
      "Unveiling Reality"

      Benny ~

      Things Happen

      Animated Art by Benny

      Lisbeth ~ Monks_Mystics

      Photo by Alan Larus

      365 Tao Diversity

      Gods have many faces,
      But true divinity has no face.

      There are so many gods in the world. Taoists have their
      pantheon. The Buddhists, Hindus, and other religions have
      theirs. The Islamic and Judeo-Christian schools may be
      monotheistic, but their sects differ vastly from one
      another. Those who follow Tao assert that each of us sees
      the divine in our own way. Is there one god, or many?

      Among those who follow Tao, there are those who say that if
      there are gods, then everyone is a god. You are god. There
      is nothing in the sky, and no one lives your life but you.
      Whatever one believes in terms of deities is fine. It's all
      individual preference, and it ultimately means
      self-awareness. But there is something beyond the diversity
      of gods, and that is the absolute.

      That which is absolute is formless. Thus Tao is nameless
      and faceless. We cannot consider Tao our god. That would
      be to give it form and therefore bring it back into the
      world where the myriad things have manes. We use the word
      Tao for convenience only, but in fact, we are referring to a
      deep mystery. As long as we live in the world of diversity,
      whether it is the frantic pace of our professional lives or
      the involvement with all the gods of the world, we will not
      be with Tao. It is only when we leave the diversity of
      existence and find the formless absolute that we reach Tao.

      Panhala ~ Joe Riley
      The slow overture of rain,
      each drop breaking
      without breaking into
      the next, describes
      the unrelenting, syncopated
      mind. Not unlike
      the hummingbirds
      imagining their wings
      to be their heart, and swallows
      believing the horizon
      to be a line they lift
      and drop. What is it
      they cast for? The poplars,
      advancing or retreating,
      lose their stature
      equally, and yet stand firm,
      making arrangements
      in order to become
      imaginary. The city
      draws the mind in streets,
      and streets compel it
      from their intersections
      where a little
      belongs to no one. It is
      what is driven through
      all stationary portions
      of the world, gravity's
      stake in things, the leaves,
      pressed against the dank
      window of November
      soil, remain unwelcome
      till transformed, parts
      of a puzzle unsolvable
      till the edges give a bit
      and soften. See how
      then the picture becomes clear,
      the mind entering the ground
      more easily in pieces,
      and all the richer for it.
       ~ Jorie Graham ~
      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html
      music link

      Jaeson ~ Spiritual-Friends

      I am writing to myself again,
      But instead of addressing to Jaeson
      I address it Julee... or Angie... or Joanna...
      But I tell them I love them... and will never leave them...
      Trying to leave them hints to repeat those words to me...
      Just so that I can listen to what it sounds like to be told that I'm
      By someone other than me...
      As if it was such a big deal to have some stranger love me...
      When they don't even know me...
      They may not have even had the patience to try...
      And I want them to love me?
      I want them to accept me?
      But how?

      So I am writing to myself again,
      This time I will say Hey Jaeson... I'm you...
      I'm writing to let you know that you're beautiful,
      And you're poetic, and you're gorgeous, and loyal,
      And sincere, and have a wonderful way about you,
      And that you're uplifting and even when you're down
      You have a way of making people think of better days...
      Of making people smile about something deeper than just the everyday
      nuance or diurnal diatribe, you are a prince among men and you are
      loved with more fire and fervour than the stars and angels rolled
      into a cup of warm sweet comfort and unconditional affection...

      You are the reason why heaven was created... you are the moment of
      love's spur and eternal yearning unleash and unstuck... you are the
      hurried spasm of the eternal crush... you mash on and rush forth until
      all words mean nothing... until all heated embraces return to you like
      a constellation of ache and burning... stunning and bedazzled... you
      glitter and tear... know no more fear... and can address letters to you...
      instead of some one who is only mirror... only reflection... only puppet
      in the machination of divine scheming... teaching us that there is only
      And once you've found you...

      The universe will at last be silent, still... and immortal.

      Is This Namaste?
      July 2003 jaeson

      Winter Palace - Ayutthaya, Thailand

      Photo by Richard Burnett

      Hilary Collins ~ TrueVision

      A Kiss

      Photo by Hilary Collins

      A Kiss

      Open up my Dear
      to take this summer kiss
      upon your lips
      from your friend,
      whose not shy,
      a dainty Hollyhock.

      Diana ~ OmniConscious
      Re: 36 Principles
      > 35. Think and speak only that which is true, kind, helpful and necessary.

      Boy, these are very serious principles.
      Does the above principle eliminate humor? Hmmmmm ...
      maybe humor is ok only if a joke illustrates a spiritual
      TRUTH. Let's see ... humor could be ok on the grounds that
      it is HELPFUL for our immune systems and stress levels.
      It is a KINDNESS to facilitate the strengthening of
      immune systems. Humor is NECESSARY to being fully alive.
      How's that?

      Do you Yahoo!?