#1490 - Saturday, July 12, 2003

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2003

      The world is like a sheet of paper on which
      something is typed. The reading and the
      meaning will vary with the reader, but the paper
      is the common factor, always present, rarely
      perceived. When the ribbon is removed, typing
      leaves no trace on the paper. So is my mind -
      the impressions keep on coming, but no trace
      is left.

      - The Wisdom of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      art: Agnes Pelton - Messengers

      NDH * Issue # 1490 * Saturday, July 12, 2003 * Editors: Joyce and Christiana

      He fashioned himself a hunter of ideas and had
      found himself wandering with a small band of
      seekers in cyberspace.

      They talked in a language that was little
      understood among the common folk.

      Over the years, he had grown quite fond of
      some of them and wondered what they looked
      like. He felt that he knew them as much as he
      had known anyone.

      He noticed that he tended to gravitate to those
      who agreed with his spiritual conclusions and
      how he became irritated with those who
      pretended to have acquired what he had
      sought for so many years.

      Those who he considered to be the "real"
      gurus, he fawned over. He would travel great
      distances to be with them and sit quietly in
      sychophantic bliss.

      He would loose himself in the ecstatic poets
      and would ponder how much of their intent was
      lost in time and translation. He even studied
      their languages in an unsuccessful attempt to
      unravel their bliss.

      He parused obscure publications for the ever
      emerging possibility of capturing his
      completness in words.

      The arrival of newly purchased books
      adrenalized his trips to the post office.

      It was unfortuate that, only at the end of his life,
      was he able to see that when ideas rub against
      each other and merge in an ecstatic confluence
      of syncopated synchronisities..... everything
      disappears into itself.

      ..........and that consciousness had, in some
      strange and wonderful way..... used him in a
      dream to discover itself.........

      Astro-sleuths crack van Gogh 'Moonrise' caper
      By Richard Stenger
      CNN Friday, July 11, 2003

      Sky & Telescope

      MOON IN SYNC Because of a quirky, 19-year
      lunar cycle, the moon that rises on July 13 this
      year will appear almost exactly the same over
      the Saint-Rémy field as it did 114 years ago.

      (CNN) -- Using old-fashioned detective work
      and modern astronomical tools, researchers
      said they have solved one of the most intriguing
      mysteries in art history, the moment that
      Vincent van Gogh immortalized in his painting
      "Moonrise."

      The Dutch artist created the masterpiece the
      night of July 13, 1889, while watching a nearly
      full moon rise over a hill exactly at 9:08 p.m.
      local time, according to astronomer Donald
      Olson and colleagues.

      At that moment, "the scene in front of van Gogh
      looked almost exactly like that painting," the
      Southwest Texas State University physics
      professor said."

      Anyone else going to be out there watching the moonrise on July 13? I will!

      art: Vincent van Gogh - Moonrise

      Mind Training - Exchanging Self for Others

      Be Grateful to everyone

      So in a sense all the things taking place around us, all the irritations and all the problems, are crucial. Without others we cannot attain enlightenment -in fact, we cannot even tread on the path. In
      other words, we could say that if there is no noise outside during our sitting meditation, we cannot develop mindfulness... If everything were lovey-dovey and jellyfishlike, there would be nothing to work with.

      We can write our own case history and employ our own lawyers to prove that we are right and somebody else is wrong - but that is also trouble we have to go through. And trying to prove our case history somehow doesn't work.
      In any case, hiring a lawyer to attain
      enlightenment is not done. It is not possible. Buddha did not have a lawyer himself.

      Without others, we would have no chance
      at all to develop beyond ego. So the idea
      here is to feel grateful that others are presenting
      us with tremendous obstacles -even threats and
      challenges. The point is to appreciate that.
      Without them, we could not follow the path at all.

      Training the Mind - Chögyam Trungpa

      art: Mabel Alvarez - Dreams of Youth

      Remembering deep sleep

      "Some sleep researchers speculate that during
      REM sleep our brains lack the chemicals that
      transfer thoughts into long-term memory; if this
      is true, it is not surprising that we forget our
      dreams so quickly."

      Any wonder why we do not remember our
      awareness without consciousness during deep
      sleep? Strangely there is a way out. Go into
      samadhi before you go to sleep. Soon you will
      fall asleep and occasionally will stay aware
      even though you are in deep sleep. If you are
      lucky you will notice this awareness in the
      background even when you are awake.

      [snip]

      Some people take, when this awareness
      comes in the foreground and stays there, as a
      sign of spiritual progress. There is no such
      thing as spiritual progress. It is all a matter of
      perspective ... not yours, of course ... for did
      you find a 'you' anywhere?

      There is also no progression from A to Z. 'Z'
      can come first, as can any stage in between.
      Anybody claiming to be more advanced than
      another is simply showing his 'spiritual ego'.
      And believe me there are some huge spiritual
      egos out there! It all started when you said, "My
      dad can beat your dad." Now it is more subtle
      ... or not ... this constant need to correct
      another. Nobody is wrong ... the words just
      come from another perspective ... and no
      perspective is superior to another.

      well I never!
      well... not quite

      have ever before
      here been I
      in this place
      both familiar and not
      in this time
      or any other
      version of now before
      knot that I recall
      a twisted memory
      turning around itself
      who would have known
      from times of old before
      each moment can be
      as sweet as this
      one is

      art: Susan Prout - healing flower orange

      Main Entry: con·cept

      Pronunciation: 'kän-"sept

      Function: noun

      Etymology: Latin conceptum,

      neuter of conceptus, past

      participle of concipere to conceive

      Date: 1556

      1. something conceived in the mind: THOUGHT, NOTION

      You might prepare yourself to accept the
      thesis that everything in the universe is an
      illusion, yet you will more than likely fail to
      include in this illusion the most essential factor,
      which is yourself. - Ramesh Balsekar

      PRAJNA-PARAMITA "When we find ourselves
      in a place of discomfort and fear, when we're in
      a dispute, when the doctor says we need tests
      to see what's wrong, we'll find that we want to
      blame, to take sides, to stand our ground. We
      feel we must have some resolution. We want to
      hold our familiar view. For the warrior, 'right' is
      as extreme a view as 'wrong.' They both block
      our innate wisdom. When we stand at the
      crossroads not knowing which way to go, we
      abide in prajna-paramita. The crossroads is an
      important place in the training of a warrior. It's
      where our solid views begin to dissolve."

      - Pema Chodrun  "The Places That Scare You,"

      Planting words in your consciousness - Nisargadatta

      'I don't think you really understand the
      purpose of my dialogues here. I don't say things simply to convince people that they are true. I am not speaking about these matters so that people can build up a philosophy that can be rationally defended, and which is free of all contradictions.

      When I speak my words, I am not speaking to your mind at all. I am directing my words directly at consciousness. I am planting my words in your consciousness. If you disturb the planting process by arguing about the meaning of the words, they won't take root there.

      Once my words have been planted in consciousness,
      they will sprout, they will grow, and at the appropriate
      moment they will bear fruit. It's nothing to do with you.
      All this will happen by itself. However, if you think about
      the words too much or dispute their meaning, you will
      postpone the moment of their fruition.'

      Erik Davis - Snakes & Ladders
      Originally appeared in Gnosis, Fall, 1994

      These days, when everything breaks down
      and comes together, spiritual explorers find
      themselves in a vast, tangled forest. Myths and
      metaphors, practices and words of wisdom,
      criss-crossing paths multiply in all directions. In
      many ways, this eclectic and fragmentary zone
      itself defines our moment of religious
      experience. Perhaps the question is less which
      path you find yourself on-what religious
      philosophy or spiritual technology you're
      remaking yourself with-but on how you move
      through the space itself. How do you engage its
      polymorphous shapes, the density of its data,
      the absence of traditional clues? With rigid,
      one-pointed determination? Loose eclecticism?
      Craziness?

      In my own tentative errancy, I've come to
      identify two contrasting modes of spiritual
      movement, two pervasive "styles" or religious
      impulses. On the one hand, the desire to
      establish an intense, deeply wedded
      connection with the imaginative matrix of the
      natural world; on the other hand, a desire to
      overcome desire, to ascend towards virtual
      light, to escape the demands of matter and
      wake up to a new order of knowledge and
      being.

      The tension between these impulses takes
      many forms, replicating across many levels of
      scale: gnosis and nature, masculine and
      feminine, transcendence and immanence,
      evolution and eternal return, sky gods and
      chthonic spirits, monotheism and polytheism,
      unity and multiplicity, soul and body, spirit and
      soul. But though they certainly bleed into one
      another, and may "ultimately" meet, I distrust
      any easy attempt to shove them under one roof.
      It's too simple to paper over their real
      differences be appealing to the supposed unity
      of mystical experience or the clicheéd notion
      that various religious languages describe the
      same truth from different perspectives.

      What if the truth itself is multiple?

      read the complete article at: