#1488 - Thursday, July 10, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2003

      #1488 - Thursday, July 10, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Sam
      NDS

      There's where all the fingers point,
      the way it looked then
      when I was carried home.

      ----------

      One early evening, when I was still little enough to be carried in my mother's arms she stopped to talk with a friend. There was a big moon in the sky and the friend remarked that the moon was god's eye. Little me said, it is one of the first things I remember, 'and the sun is his other eye'.

      That is the moon I wanted to catch in this little haiku.

      Then I did not know even what the word home means, and I had not yet developed the concept of a home that I had yet to search. Was I at home then?

      I have heard Osho say: 'Don't search for a home because there isn't one. Search for yourself because there is one.'

      Jan Sultan
      NDS

      Dozing Meditation Revisited

      After I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in February, the doctor had asked me if there was any stress in my life. I shook my head but wondered if  my body/mind was stressed without me knowing it. Being a 'spiritual' being how could I be stressed? I knew that the world and its happenings were of no consequence to me. Yet would the body be stressed without me knowing about it?

      Luckily [I don't know if the medications and the supplements, specially, Melatonin had anything to do with it] I started dozing at work. Being the boss nobody could question me about that. This dozing totally relaxed me. Even a commotion in the workshop would not have elicited any response from me. I suspect this played a major part in my remission.

      You might ask isn't such total relaxation dangerous in case an emergency situation arose? From my experiences in life [prior to my 'spiritual' days] I have realized that in dangerous situations I have mostly stayed very calm, totally out-of it [as if it was happening to someone else] and the dangerous situation [even possible death] had bypassed me, missing me by a whisker! So why should I worry now!

      And strangely this dozing is not your ordinary dozing, which is due to lack of sleep and leaves you in a dull drowsy state. This is almost like meditation as any situation that needs my attention is at once attended to without any disorientation. I know I had posted this before [on my lists: AdvaitaToZen and SufiMystic] however I had at that time meant it to be humorous. Having observed it further, I can state that this really works. Not only does it totally relax you but it also gets you into a state akin to Samadhi! Do try it ... specially if you are over 50 like me! Doze away your stress!

      Benjamin
      NDS

      Greetings!

      I have started a new nondual discussion group called Clear Void at

      Please take a look.  It is moderated and perhaps a bit more serious
      than this high-spirited crowd.  I am aiming for a small group of
      dedicated seekers.  Non-technical philosophy is combined with
      inspiration, intuition and insight.  It is not dull and academic.  It
      might be right for some of you.  A few messages are already up to
      give you an idea.  Please be sure to read the Introduction and
      Guidelines (first two messages in the archives) before joining.

      Thank you
      Benjamin

      Roger Hendrick
      NDS

      Sri Nisargadatta

      Just keep in mind the feeling 'I AM"merge
      with it, Till Your mind and feelings become one. By repeated
      attempts you will stumble on the right balance of attention
      and affection and your mind will be firmly established in the
      thought-feeling 'I AM'.

      Helena Vidrascu
      NDS

      O MY FRIENDS,

      What can you tell me of love,
      Whose pathways are filled with strangeness?
      when you offer the Great One your love,
      At the first step your body is crushed.
      Next be ready to offer your head as his seat.
      Be ready to orbit his lamp
          like a moth giving in to the light,
      To live in the deer as she runs
                      towards the hunters call,
      In the partridge that swallows hot coals
                     for the love of the moon,
      In the fish that, kept from the sea, happily dies.
      Like a bee trapped for life
                    in the closing of the sweet flower,
      Mira has offered herself to her Lord.
      She says: the single Lotus will swallow you whole.

                                         --MIRABAI

      Mark Otter
      NDS

      Hi Helena,

      Oh YUM!!!
      I can tell you this of love:
      That I have been crushed like the spring pepper
      in the mill of forgiveness.
      That I have been saved like the Sunday papers
      Only to be used to collect the urine of puppies
      Who may not know yet the ways of the outside.
      That I have been the butt of jokes that no one laughs at.
      That I am thou.
      I knowest this of love:
      That I am no thing
      and no thing is who I am.
      I'm so glad you asked...
      and who are you?

      Love, Mark

      Christ is mystical, not magical

      In the fictional world of Harry Potter, all humanity is
      divided into wizards and muggles. Wizards are those who, by
      birth or happenstance, have been gifted with a love of and an
      ability to engage in magic. Muggles are everyone else. But
      "muggle" is not a neutral term; it is a disparaging one.
      Muggles are angry, obtuse to the world of magic, dull-witted
      and generally insensitive.

      Out of this rises a question for the Christian: Are we
      muggles? For we are surely not wizards. Wizardry is a
      violation of the first commandment, a dabbling with spirits
      and the occult, an entertaining of forces that are not of God
      and over which we have, at most, illusionary control.
      Christians ought to strive to steer clear of wizardry.

      So, does that relegate us to the bland world of muggledom?
      Hardly. True Christianity is a rebellion against the bland
      conformism of muggledom as much as it is a rebellion against
      the world of wizardry.

      The great 20th century Trappist, Thomas Merton, saw his faith
      as a rebellion against the muggledom of his time: "For my own
      part, I am by my whole life committed to a certain protest and
      non-acquiescence and that is why I am a monk."

      There is no superiority of the true Christian over the muggle.
      When he entered the monastery, Merton left behind "certain
      standards of value which to me were idiotic and repugnant and
      still are. The image of a society that is happy because it
      drinks Coca-Cola or Seagrams or both and is protected by the
      bomb. The society that is imaged in the mass media and in
      advertising, in the movies, in TV, in best sellers, in current
      fads, in all the pompous and trifling masks with which it
      hides callousness, sensuality, hypocrisy, cruelty and fear"
      (Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander).

      Merton was certainly not alone in his critique of modern
      culture as in contradiction with the fullness of life offered
      by Christianity. A hundred years before him, John Henry Newman
      spoke of "the beginnings of religion" as "To put off the idle
      hopes of earthly good, to be sick of flattery and the world's
      praise, to see the emptiness of temporal greatness and to be
      watchful against self-indulgence."

      Newman urged people "to break with the world and make religion
      our first concern." He saw religious obedience not as a muggle
      sort of life, but as identical with faith: "Viewed as sitting
      at Jesus' feet, it is called faith; viewed as running to do
      his will, it is called obedience."

      It is, of course, possible to be religious and to be a muggle
      too. The religious muggle is one for whom religion is a
      formality, an abstract way of looking at things that does not
      touch one's daily life.

      Muggles are those who do not see the gross inhumanity in the
      coexistence of their own relative comfort and pleasures with
      the terrors of abortion, war, mass starvation and
      institutionalized greed.

      There is one more thing, however. There is no superiority of
      the true Christian over the muggle. We do not exist in a
      special world of supposed holiness while "they" live in the
      world of the unclean.

      Merton writes that on one of his rare trips away from the
      monastery and into the city, he found himself at a busy street
      corner. The revelation given to him was almost mystical: "I
      was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization that I loved all
      those people, that they were mine and I theirs, that we could
      not be alien to one another even though we were total
      strangers."

      The challenge to the Christian is to rise out of the muggledom
      of mass society. We rise through prayer, adoration of the one
      God and service to other men and women. Yet, despite our
      efforts to rise, aided by God's grace, we do not see ourselves
      as a spiritual elite. We are one - one with each other and one
      with all of humanity.

      Faith gives us the responsibility to serve.

      Photo's of Merigar, Dzogchen retreat in Italy

      Iamkatia

      The Last Morning...

      This is what I saw when I crawled out of my tent at dawn on the last morning.

      It was perfect.