#1482 - Friday, July 4, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2003
      #1482 - Friday, July 4, 2003 - Editor: Jerry

      Is this a reflection
      from your glowing brew?
      When night arrives on this side
      there is a dawn for you.

      Photo and poem by Al Larus

      Dear SEER Al Larus,

      I learnt more about God  from these honey waves of intoxicating
      delight than from the books.

      I am immensely grateful to you for these pictures?

      Where did you get them,please?

      Since you got white lotuses,could you also get red
      lotuses,please.Please try in the name of that Almighty God who is
      seen in every aspect of His creation.

      I do not know whether you have been to the Himalayas. If not
      please go there in the flowery season and the rainy season.By your
      pictures ,you will turn atheists into believers.

      May I be permitted to use your photographs for my cover pages of
      athe series SURYA (SUN ) KAMALAM (LOTUS)?

      My heart is overwhelmed with joy to see your pictures.

      Harsha Satsang has done a great service to the members by your
      pics!!!

      May the love of Sri BALA SANKARA BE ON YOU!

      Yours in Sri Samkara Bhagavat pujyapada's love,

      Chilukuri Bhuvaneswar

      Harsha
      Advaitin

      Mystics and Philosphers

      The portrait of Swami Vivekananda hung in the center of the living room of my grandfather's house so I knew that this was an important person and spent many years discovering him. It has been many decades now since I read the Gospel of Ramakrishna and how Swami Vivekananda met him.

      I remember Naren asking the important people of his day regarding whether they had seen God. No one could give him a satisfactory answer. Only Ramakrishna had the confidence to say "Yes, I have seen God..."

      I went to the following website and selected certain paragraphs about the early years of Narendra (Swami Vivekananda). These illustrate the difference between scholars, philosophers, and mystics. A genuine spiritual aspirant is not satisfied with words and philosophy. His very being drives and compels him to engage in spiritual practice and gain first hand knowledge of the Self as the Self, His Own Being, the One without a Second, that the ancient sages have called Sat-Chit-Ananda.

      Here are some selected portions from
      http://www.btinternet.com/~vivekananda/

      For a time the congregational prayers and the devotional songs of the Brahmo Samaj exhilarated Narendra's mind, but soon he found that they did not give him any real spiritual experience. He wanted to realize God, the goal of religion, and so felt the imperative need of being instructed by a man who had seen God.

      In his eagerness he went to Devendranath, the venerable leader of the Brahmo Samaj, and asked him, even before the latter had uttered a word, 'Sir, have you seen God?'

      Devendranath was embarrassed and replied: 'My boy, you have the eyes of a yogi. You should practise meditation.'

      The youth was disappointed and felt that this teacher was not the man to help him in his spiritual struggle. But he received no better answer from the leaders of other religious sects. Then he remembered having heard the name of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa from Professor Hastie, who while lecturing his class on Wordsworth's poem The Excursion, had spoken of trances, remarking that such religious ecstasies were the result of purity and concentration. He had said, further, that an exalted experience of this kind was a rare phenomenon, especially in modern times. 'I have known,' he had said, 'only one person who has realized that blessed state, and he is Ramakrishna of Dakshineswar. You will understand trances if you visit the saint.'

      Narendra had also heard about Sri Ramakrishna from a relative, Ramchandra Datta, who was one of the foremost householder disciples of the Master. Learning of Narendra's unwillingness to marry and ascribing it to his desire to lead a spiritual life, Ramchandra had said to him, 'If you really want to cultivate spirituality, then visit Ramakrishna at Dakshineswar.'

      Narendra met Ramakrishna for the first time in November 1881 at the house of the Master's devotee Surendranath Mitra, the young man having been invited there to entertain the visitors with his melodious music. The Paramahamsa was much impressed by his sincerity and devotion, and after a few inquiries asked him to visit him at Dakshineswar. Narendra accepted. He wished to learn if Ramakrishna was the man to help him in his spiritual quest....

      They returned to the room and Naren asked the Master, 'Sir, have you seen God?' Without a moment's hesitation the reply was given: 'Yes, I have seen God. I see Him as I see you here, only more clearly. God can be seen. One can talk to him. But who cares for God? People shed torrents of tears for their wives, children, wealth, and property, but who weeps for the vision of God? If one cries sincerely for God, one can surely see Him.'

      Sam Pasciencier

      Once upon a time there was a restless soul who went looking for the infinite
      to help it come to terms with all the sorrows and pleasures of the finite..
      It had found so much and lost so much it was literally at its wit's end...

      At such a moment it couldn't stay all cooped up inside
      and needed to go out into the world into the biggest places it could find..
      a mountain.. or even the sky.. or maybe the sea..

      This day it chose the sea, certain that the sea would have a message
      that would calm its restless hunger... so off it went
      (and by the way it packed a picnic because even
      the infinite has to eat).

      Many other infinites, thinking themselves finite,
      were standing on the same platforms,
      riding the same trains, buses and street cars, or driving
      and then walking, hurrying along the streets to
      reach the same sea-light..
      but they were all very busy being finite
      and hiding the sea-light in their eyes...

      Alone at last and walking on the hard-packed sand
      it hurried to the very edge where the water comes and goes..
      the eyes already somewhat calmer under the shimmering sky
      and gazing at that distant perfect line
      where one seems to begin and the other end...

      and then the sea gave answer to
      the question that it couldn't ask

      and the sea said shhhhh... the sea said shhhhh...the sea....

      Photo by Sam

      "Nonacceptance is always suffering,
      no matter what you are not accepting.

      Acceptance is always freedom,
      no matter what you are accepting."

      ~Cheri Huber, Zen teacher

      From the book, "There Is Nothing Wrong With You," published by Keep
      It Simple Books.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971030901/Angelinc

      James Traverse
      NDS

      Yes. The emphasis is on the accepting itself.

          Dwelling on the 'I' that is accepting is the whirl of the local
      mind chasing its own tail (the spiral whirl).

          *Seeing* that the 'I' is doing this is the ending of the 'I'.
      (the natural role of the 'I' is for it to arise functional as
      necessary and then like an actor on a stage whose role has been played
      it relaxes (falls away). An example: "I am writing this message" -
      beyond this functional role the 'I' is a nuisance and the source of
      tremendous mischief).

          In the absence of this 'I', 'what is' is seen clearly and
      intellent action naturally unfolds when there is this clarity in
      Seeing - this is 'in-the-light' - or if you prefer 'Enlightenment'.

          There is no entity that is enlightened. Seeing is natural and does
      not require an entity that identifies her/himself as the seer who
      comments/reacts to 'what is' seen.

          Seeing is Doing.

      Love and Gratitude,
      James

      ps - Happy 4th

      Jerry

      Anyone trying their hand at writing fiction might take a look at the sample chapters in this book:

      The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life:

      Contributed to Live Journal by Robertstheology

      Mark Otter
      NDS

      I have a small wooden Humpty Dumpty that I bought at the Taos
      General Store to celebrate getting a job. It sits on the edge of the
      little window between my kitchen and living room.  I just dropped
      the wok lid, which knocked it off, but it didn't break. Cheap
      simulacrum!!!!!