#1480 - Wednesday, July 2, 2003

  • Know Mystery
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2003

      #1480 - Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - Editor: Joyce (Know_Mystery)

      Manuel Hernandez ~ ANetOfJewels

      Life presents problems because we fight life; we don't accept what-is in the
      present moment. We want to become something other than what we are. We
      want something other than what we now have.

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      Wanting to let go and the letting go are two different things. The letting
      go will happen only whey you're not wanting to let go.

       ~ Ramesh S. Balsekar ~
      http://www.advaita.org

      Amrita ~ DailyDharma

      Ayutthaya,

      Ayutthaya, Thailand

      photo by Richard Burnett

      SPIRITUAL SURRENDER

      "Life is, by nature, constant flow and interaction of numberless
      elements. Nothing ever stays the same, even from one moment to the next.

      Everything is on its way to becoming something else, and therefore,
      nothing can be held onto. If you see this clearly, if you consider and
      examine this deeply and fully, then letting go is the only thing left to
      do. How can you hold on? What is there to hold onto?

      "So the art of spiritual surrender is really the art of not knowing.
      Then it doesn't make any difference at all whether you are walking down
      the street or eating lunch or responding to your email or making love or
      sitting alone on your couch. This is the first and last time you will
      ever be doing this. If you truly understand that, it changes
      everything."

      ~ Scott Morrison ~

      (From personal notes)

      Amrita ~ DailyDharma

      Go With The Flow

      "Chuang-Tzu tells the story of seeing an old man falling over a large
      waterfall and coming out safely downstream. Asked for an explanation,
      the old man says: ''No,... I had no way of doing this. There was my
      original nature to begin with; then habit growing into nature; and
      lastly, acquiescence in destiny. Plunging into the whirl, I came out
      with the swirl. I accommodate myself to the water, not the water to me.
      And so I am able to deal with it after this fashion... I was born on dry
      land... and accommodated myself to dry land. That was my original
      condition. Growing up on the water, I accommodated myself to the water.
      That was what I meant by nature. And doing as I did without being
      conscious of any effort to do so, that was what was meant by destiny.'"

      ~ Alan Watts ~

      Not conscious of any effort to do. Letting our life flow - without
      interruption by our fearful mind that wants to steer the rudder, shout
      at the oarsmen, navigate, ponder, and make sure the course is the
      'right" one, make sure we do not drown, and if we do fall overboard, oh,
      how we flail about.... all that let go of...
      just floating down the stream.. merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...
      if life is a dream - who is it that steers in the first place?

      ~ dharma grandmother ~

      Quote from his book, "Tao and The Watercourse Way," published by
      Pantheon. h
      ttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0394733118/Angelinc

      Tykal ~ Being_One

      Stardust in the Palm

      we reach,
      lose limbs in our reaching
      and water impossible tears
      of never reaching
      what we�re reaching with,
      what reaches our innermost depths
      beyond all palpable reach,
      the reaching in every release
      of desire the immediate realization
      of wherever there is
      already being the where that�s there
      and the reach
      of the towering redwood
      toward the sun it�ll never touch
      yet has embodied
      ever since first budding
      in the heart
      of the pinecone
      hung from mother tree
      and in some
      sense or not
      even before
      that

      Lily

      Lily - Doi Suthep, Northern Thailand

      Photo by Richard Burnett

      Desmond Chiong ~ BuddhistWellnessGroup

      The Outside World is Not What We Think It Is.
      • Everything Comes From the Mind
      • The outside world is not what we think it is.
        • This is also a misconception: the strong impression that the world appears to truly exist outside of you is actually projected by your own mind.
        • You'll see that the way you perceive me, the way you feel, is individual, and that at that level, you're all different. These various perceptions do not come from me but from your own minds.
        • I'm saying that your everyday, superficial view of the sense world does not reflect its true reality.
        • But we don't see totality; totality is too big for us.
      • Everything comes from our own mind.
        • Everything you experience � feelings, sensations, shapes and colors � comes from your mind.
        • understand that these different impressions are coming from your own mind rather than from changes in the external environment.
        • without mind, there is not a single manifest material existence in the entire sense world
      • It's merely names.
        • But 'satellite' is just a name, isn't it?
        • People give things names and we grasp at the name, believing it to be the real thing. It's the same thing no matter what colors and forms we grasp at. You check up.
      • It is the same for our emotions and their causes; but we ignore that.
        • all your emotions, the way you live your life, the way you relate to others, all come from your own mind.
      • Emotions, suffering
        • If you have the misconception that your life will be perfect, its nature will be up and down.
        • If you don't understand how your mind works, you're going to continue having negative experiences like anger and depression.
        • A depressed mind doesn't understand how it works. A mind without understanding is negative. A negative mind brings you down because all its reactions are polluted.
        • Any emotional problem you experience arises because of the way your mind functions; your basic problem lies in the way you misidentify yourself.
      • Fundamentally, all the people's problems are the same.
        • we're all basically the same
        • Because the human mind is like an ocean and there's a great similarity in the way we've developed on this earth.
        • fundamentally, people's problems are the same
      • The solution:
        • Instead of misinterpreting whatever you experience in life through wrong conceptions,
          realize that it's not outer reality, but only mind.
        • All you need to do is to
          understand your true nature, the way you already are.
        • All you have to do is observe how it functions and how you act,
          and not obsess too much about the world around you.
        • A mind with understanding functions clearly. A clear mind is a positive mind.
        • (Buddha) he exhorted us to investigate and try to understand the reality of our own being. ... All he wanted was for us to understand our own nature. ... Simply by making the right effort, you understand things through your own experience, and gradually develop all realizations.
        • The wise mind � knowledge-wisdom, or universal consciousness � is never fazed by small things. Seeing totality, it never pays attention to minutiae.
        • If you expect your life to be up and down, your mind will be much more peaceful.

      http://www.gileht.com/Yeshe/everything.html

      Diana Storms ~ OmniConscious

      Are We Victims?
      Dear Everyone,

      It is so hard to find words on this topic about whether we are victims ...
      yet I can remember few if any times when I've had a greater wish to say
      something useful, illuminating or comforting.

      There is no blame, no fault, no guilt .. whether we 'create our reality' or
      not. After all, this reality we create or don't -- is all an illusion ...
      though it feels so poignantly painfully real ... or so joyously,
      exhilaratingly real. Like good dreams. Like nightmares.
      Whatever is being created is generally unconscious. How can we blame
      ourselves, or anyone, for what is not conscious?

      I've often thought, concerning nighttime nightmares: how are these really
      any different from our supposed daytime lives? We wake up and think,
      'Thank God! None of that really happened. It wasn't real.' Yet in the
      dream, our heart pounded, we felt fear or terror or heartache. We still
      experienced those events, and we had real feelings about them. We suffered because we believed the dream to be real. When a child or partner wakes up from a terrible nightmare, do we just brush off their feelings because those nightmare events never 'really' happened? Or do we reach out and comfort that person? How loving would it be to say, 'Get over it. It was only a dream, for crying out loud.'

      I have moments of what I call 'seeing through the eyes of God'. I call this
      seeing through the eyes of God because there is just no way my ordinary
      human mind (ego mind?) could see in this way. It's completely beyond that
      part of the mind, makes no sense whatsoever to that part. In those
      moments, I can see all human suffering as somehow 'ok' -- though that is a
      completely inadequate word. On the one hand, when I'm in that space it's as if I feel all human suffering for all time ... which should be overwhelming.

      Yet on the other hand, while experiencing it, or somehow 'knowing' it from
      within it ... I am at the same time NOT in it. I experience something vast
      and inexplicable. Words that come to mind (as usual, none of them adequate, because they are only words) are compassion, love, peace ... AWE.

      I don't know if we (who are 'we'?) create our reality or not. I don't know
      if our reality is real or not. I don't know if this is a school of learning
      or an accidental imaginary illusion, or both. I don't know who the 'I' is
      who doesn't know ... though I suspect I know who the 'I' is who does know.

      From Dean Sluyter:
      "Gandhi said that no matter what we do, it will be completely unimportant, but  it is vitally important that we do it. Absolutely, nothing matters:
      relatively, everything matters. The trick is to live both of those truths
      deeply, all the time. Life may be a dance that goes nowhere But it doesn't
      need to go anywhere---here it is. And if we can dance impeccably, without
      missing a step, yet with joyful abandon, it's a good dance."

      I don't know what the 'impeccably' part means ... but the rest of that quote
      really speaks to me.

      Namaste,
      Diana

      Jim Cole & Spectral Voices

      "For centuries people in many parts of the world have developed harmonic singing traditions (overtone singing, overtoning, toning, harmonic chant, subfundamental chant, multiphonic singing, khoomei - throat singing, vocal fry, etc), and nowhere has it reached greater refinement than in central Asia.  You may have heard the high whistling melodies, expressive warbles, and intense low croaking tones of Tuvan throat singers.  A similar folk tradition occurs among the herdsmen of Mongolia.  Certain groups of Tibetan Buddhist monks practice a deep subfundamental type of sacred harmonic chant..."

      http://www.spectralvoices.com/secondpg.htm

      (Click on temple to hear a sample from spectral voices: innervoices)

      Ayutthaya,

      Ayutthaya, Thailand

      Photo by Richard Burnett

      Joyce ~ TrueVision

      Cluster

      Cluster 2

      Photo by Bill Rishel

      With Apologies to Hafiz...

      And
      for no reason
          i inward turned

      and
      for no reason
          i sought the Stillness there

      and
      for no reason
          was i drawn deep within the Heart
          by silken Truth-spun strands

      and
      for no reason
          did i not resist
          the golden glow of Grace

      and
      for every reason
          did my Soul take flight
          on Contentment's open wings
          an Elevation of the Heart set Free
          from Secret's earthly chains.

      Tim Gerchmez  ~  AdvaitaToZen

      It's great to be unable to watch myself happen!

      If I could, there would be two of me (the watcher, and the one being
      watched). Something very fishy would be going on! :-).

      Joyce  ~  NDHighlights

      Smile

      http://www.geocities.com/know_mystery/Smile/TheBigHug.htm

      Pete ~ AdvaitaToZen

      Be truly attentive to that which pays attention. That points to the self
      which is non-self.

      A Glimpse

      By the wooden shack,
      bursting with pink,
      flecked with green,
      cascading from a pot-
      the unnamed flowers.

      ~ Pete ~

      Viorica Weissman ~ Ramana_Maharshi
      Maharshi - Men of Great Spirituality ?

      Q:
         What  are the fundamental tests for discovering men of great
         spirituality, since some are reported  to behave  like insane people ?

      A:
         The jnani's mind is known only to the jnani . One must be
         a jnani oneself in order to understand another jnani.

         However the peace of mind which permeats the saint's atmosphere
         is the only means by which the seeker understands
         the greatness of the saint. His words or actions or appearance
         are no indication of his greatness , for they are ordinarily beyond
         the comprehension of common people.

         "BE AS YOU ARE, The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi";
          edited by David Godman

      Desmond Chiong & Brigitte Mohr ~ BuddhistWellnessGroup

      Creek

      Creek 2

      Photo by Bill Rishel

      The highest good is like water.
      Water gives life to the ten thousand things and does not strive.
      It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao.

      In dwelling, be close to the land.
      In meditation, go deep in the heart.
      In dealing with others, be gentle and kind.
      In speech, be true.
      In ruling, be just.
      In business, be competent.
      In action, watch the timing.

      ~ Tao Te Ching ~

      Panhala ~ Joe Riley

       A BLESSING
      May you awaken to the mystery of being here and enter the quiet immensity of your own presence.
      May you have joy and peace in the temple of your senses.
      May you receive great encouragement when new frontiers beckon.
      May you respond to the call of your gift and find the courage to follow its path.
      May the flame of anger free you from falsity.
      May warmth of heart keep your presence aflame and may anxiety never linger about you.
      May your outer dignity mirror an inner dignity of soul.
      May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.
      May you be consoled in the secret symmetry of your soul.
      May you experience each day as a sacred gift woven around the heart of wonder.

      ~ John O'Donohue ~

      Web version:
      www.panhala.net/Archive/A_Blessing.html
      Web archive of Panhala postings: www.panhala.net/Archive/Index.html

      music link

      Ed Jason ~

      Eight Verses

      http://pages.britishlibrary.net/edjason/eight/

      .

      Buddhas

      Buddhas - Ayutthaya, Thailand

      Photo by Richard Burnett

      Manuel Hernandez ~ ANetOfJewels

      "Love is will, the will to share your happiness with all. Being happy,
      making happy, this is the rhythm of love."

      ~ Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj ~

      Do you Yahoo!?