Highlights, Tuesday, October 26

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 1999
      I celebrate my self.............

      Walt Whitman

      (sent by Harsha)

      If you dare to give your heart, your soul, your mind, your
      body, and your life, unconditionally, to what you discover
      to be true, you will know an infinitely deep and abiding
      peace that has never been even a breath away.

      This bliss, this tranquility depends on nothing, and It is
      not capable of ending. Furthermore, it doesn't make a bit
      of difference what you've ever done... or not done. You
      can put an end to the battle. Yes, that's correct, just
      walk right out of the war, right now. All you have to do is
      surrender, absolutely and completely, not to me, not to some
      authority figure, or some organization or institution, but
      surrender only to your own deepest Purity.

      God and your own Unbounded Love are not different. If you
      truly give yourself up completely, it will shock your whole
      system. It will suddenly dawn on you,

      "Oh my God, what a fool I've been! What was I thinking?"

      Then the absolute insanity of giving yourself to anything
      else will become apparent. Why wait? Why put off your own
      complete and total liberation? In your innermost and
      outermost places, in every single moment, Love waits for you
      everywhere. Is there really something else you would rather
      do? Is it possible that the thing that you fear the most,
      the thing that you avoid the most, is what you truly desire
      the most? It cannot abandon you. Even if you choose to
      ignore It, betray It and walk away, It is always closer than
      your next breath. Suspend all opinion and debate, and find
      out for yourself.

      >From There Is Only Now by Scott Morrison (contributed by
      Skye)

      OM SACHA

      when you ask the question Who am I? if you haven't noticed
      by now there is no answer. the answer is that we cannot
      find any thought or feeling that is solid. it
      dis-identifies us from the thoughts that keep us stuck to
      ideas which have no substance. it is our ideas that create
      us from being open and receptive to what is happening now.
      ideas mean, responding to a present situation from a past
      experience. when you enquire, or examine that "to who is
      this happening?" you're left without an answer and if it is
      understood rightly, that past response is seen only as that
      and it drops immediately. continue to do it until it gains
      enough momentum to burn out all these ideas of oneself, and
      then the preparation for awakening is ready.

      PEON

      As multitudes of "teachers" "gurus", "Masters"
      have said "find a path or way which you are comfortable
      with" to no avail to many, I will encourage seekers to seek
      a path which is the most un_comfortable. Diamonds are made
      of immense pressure, fine furniture is hewn of rough timber,
      etc. We all know this yet seek the easier path.

      Therein lies the cause of failure IMHO, but I am here to
      "teach" no one. I was not taught, nor can anyone else be.One
      experiences,one does not "learn" this from a book.Books,
      retreats, meetings, foot sitting with a Master, etc, lend an
      air of respectability to the seeking, but its like Jesus
      fussing at the Pharisees and Saddueces......you gotta get
      down and get dirty......Jesus dined with the prostitutes and
      drank with the winos..they could not accept such behavior
      and strung his ass up, I've had alot of people who would
      love to string my ass up for what I say, but fortunately
      live in the good old USA.

      XAN

      I've always been puzzled by our human tendency to decide
      that 'how it works for me' must be a universal Right Way,
      despite all evidence of our variations upon variations of
      personal expression.

      I was deeply involved in a powerful community for a few
      years where true awakening was going on. Along with the
      real stuff, however, was a generally accepted belief that
      this was the only place awakening was actually occuring in
      the world and a great deal of fear of leaving was imbedded.
      I found myself subject to judgements of the group when I
      expressed a different point of view.

      Some people even took it upon themselves to walk into other
      spiritual groups of various kinds and assertively attack
      their flaws in understanding. I have never been able to
      reconcile the level of Self-realization I saw in them, and
      in others, with the continued existence of subtle personal
      agendas. I can't resolve this paradox in myself either.

      There is no way to convey the profound spiritual, mental and
      emotional bonding that can go on in a group like that. I
      still think of those people with the passion of a deep heart
      connection though I have no desire to maintain any
      relationships there at all.

      SKYE

      ...reminds me of something i learned when reading 'The
      Tibetans' work. About the variety of families of
      consciousness, aspects and rays etc...which he used to
      explain the reason why our paths of learning are so
      different. I never found the details as important as what
      they basically helped me realize and am still realizing more
      each day. That all the various methods are valid in their
      own way.

      We seem to have various psychological affinities in this
      realm. Just as substances attract or repulse certain
      vibrations in order to manifest in their unique form, so too
      human beings seem have psychological affinities. What may
      be a beneficial way for one family of consciousness to learn
      is not a consideration at all for another family.

      As for my own experience learning is predominately brought
      about in a love fest environment (which also keeps my body
      healthy) with only occasional bouts of light trauma, but for
      my sister the lessons are learned in deepest emotional
      trauma, which sometimes feels as though my heart is being
      torn from my breast to see her in such pain.

      And i often ponder about the shortness of our lives. Our
      Elder's leave the body so early. Just when they begin to
      get the bigger picture and pass the flame, they are gone!!
      We live such short dogs years on this plane??....almost not
      conducive to enlightenment?? :-(

      The whole is the sum of its hearts

      XAN AND DAN

      xan:
      <snip> With all the changes the Bible has gone through over
      the centuries for various religious-political ends, no
      telling what was meant in the first place.

      D: And with all the changes everything is going through
      from moment to moment, with no end in sight, there's no
      telling what any of us meant in the first place, or even if
      there is a first place with words.
      It's just plain enjoyable watching all the words moving to
      and fro, like leaves in the wind, or spirals in the clouds.
      Aleks imparted some of this feeling for me in her "word"
      poem - quite exhuberent it was

      JAN

      1 - "I" = (:)(:)

      1 + "I" = _�_
      ..................................... +
      2 = ):(_�_):(
      ............................... :2
      1 = (+:-) and "I" = +):-(

      Perhaps it is just active kundalini. Or, perhaps it is a
      gentle way of helping someone gain insight rather than
      bopping them over the head with it, which i have seen, once
      in my life *g*

      L*L*L
      ~ Rainbo ~

      May I remind you that for instance electronics engineering
      (my former profession) does add quite a lot of symbols,
      necessary to communicate effectively? So the above is no
      more than a little mensa puzzle aimed at 100 :)

      For a nondualist, Kundalini isn't important; surrender,
      intuiting and grasping are sufficient as this can lead to
      the "first flash". Kundalini merely effectuates nonduality
      (Sat_Cit_Ananda) in mind and body literally: first, by
      making conscious of what *hinders* and then, by "burning" it
      out.

      This has to be understood as a dynamic, autonomous process
      that will do
      *anything* to continue, be it the production of extra
      neurons to enable additional understanding or the
      provisions, forcing one to circumambulate the Himalayas
      1,000,000 times on bare knees :)) Non-understanding this
      "works" just as well and is called Grace.

      Knowledge of the chakra system is totally irrelevant,
      suggested by the disagreement on for instance the number of
      chakras and their colors, as given by different sources.
      The analogy: One can drive a car without being a
      car-mechanic, one can use the PC without being a programmer
      or hardware designer. Only when a problem arises a mechanic
      is required.

      What cannot be denied is that regarding one's "human
      interface", it is possible not to be conscious of its
      behavior like a compass needle moving to the "tunes" of the
      magnetic fields resulting from the electrical currents
      caused by Kundalini. To stretch the analogy a bit further,
      fields can interact in many ways :)

      What has a "beginning" must have an "end"; this is
      applicable to Kundalini as well. When the "end" doesn't
      coincide with the death of the body, it leaves the
      impossible paradox of Sat_Cit_Ananda and a living body, no
      longer subjected to the limitations of the three states or
      to feel pain.

      Understandably, this paradox which both is and isn't, can
      neither be described nor explained. Yet it is the
      foundation of all scriptures.

      ==GENE POOLE==

      ...self is awareness; awareness is power; and power lives in
      space. The greater the space afforded, the greater the
      power that can dwell therein; and the greater the power, the
      greater the awareness.

      In my reality, power and awareness are interchangable; space
      is discovered, granted, and utilized by untrammeled
      awareness. Our discussion is about reclaiming our space, of
      taking it out of the hands of others, of having it and being
      responsible for it. This claimed space, is 'awareness
      itself', or self (or Self, as preferred).
      Having ownership of space, is related (conceptually,
      experientially, and energetically) to having actual
      effective boundaries.

      Seeing and claiming space, is the same as 'growth'; in this
      model, awareness is either limited to 'dualistic'
      assumptions (relativistic or conditional awareness), or it
      is not so-limited. 'Growth' then, is the moving into
      greater and greater space. I can say this: No-one 'needs'
      the permission of other, to expand into all available space.

      However, in our cultures, it is a matter of permissions; it
      is very common to find that one is reluctant to 'usurp' the
      space that has already been claimed by dominant
      personalities; one has been conditioned to avoid the
      conflicts which erupt over the issue of 'who is in charge'.
      So the usual result, is that people shy away from such
      conflicts, by voluntarily taking-on an identity which is
      'good enough'.

      I see that we all experience the pain that results from this
      socially-mandated _bad agreement_; each in their own way,
      struggle with an identity which is the 'embodiment of
      submissiveness'. For one to stand up, to full height, is to
      risk being slapped right back down. Degenerative diseases
      commonly occur as a result of the self-limitation which
      people take on, to avoid being characterized in an
      unpleasant or socially-disadvantaging way.

      Power/awareness 'lives in space'; spiritual community (such
      as this list) is defined as 'sharing of power'.
      Power-sharing includes the necessary permissions to expand
      _infinitely_. Each can help the other, if we can overcome
      our culturally conditioned fear of expansion into space.

      ZEN IN ENGLISH LITERATURE (1941)

      R.H. BLYTH

      Selections from Chapter 14: Don Quixote

      The Don Quixote of the First Part is Zen incarnate, of the
      Second, a sententious buffoon. Sancho Panza also suffers a
      complete change. In the First Part he is the ordinary man,
      self-seeking, fond of money, fond of his belly, stupid, a
      coward, yet not altogether devoid of some natural Zen and
      faith in his master which lifts him, like Babbit, above the
      entirly material. In the Second Part he becomes a just,
      benevolent, disinterested, clever judge and faithful
      servant, and at times the foolish knave of the First Part,
      but disbelieving his master's visions and helping to make a
      fool of him. The Second Part is better writen, it is true;
      more cultivated, more urbane. It is a book. The First Part
      is not a book, it is life itself with its medley of
      gentleness and brutality, humour and pain, nobility and
      vulgarity, all united by the vision of Don Quixote himself,
      into a meaningful whole. The words of Byron in 'Don Juan',
      though devoid of poetical merit, need to be pondered over
      once more:

      I should be very willing to redress Men's wrongs, and rather
      check than punish crimes, Had not Cervantes, in that too
      true tale Of Quixote, shown how all such efforts fail.

      Of all tales 'tis the saddest -- and more sad, Because it
      makes us smile; his hero's right, And still pursues the
      right; - to curb the bad His only object, and 'gainst all
      odds to fight His guerdon: 'tis his virtue makes him mad!
      But his adventures form a sorry sight;-- A sorrier still is
      the great moral taught By that real epic unto all who have
      thought.

      Redressing injury, revenging wrong, To aid the damsel and
      destroy the chaff; Opposing singly the united strong, From
      foreign yoke to free the helpless native:-- Alas! must
      noblest views, like an old song, Be for mere fancy's sport a
      theme creative, A jest, a riddle, Fame through thick and
      thin sought!
      And Socrates himself but Wisdom's Quixote?

      Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away; A single laugh
      demolish'd the right arm Of his own country;--seldom since
      that day Has Spain had heroes. While Romance could charm,
      The world gave ground before that bright array; And
      therefore have his volumes done such harm, That all their
      glory, as a composition, Was dearly purchased by his land's
      perdition.

      Jerry:I think it would be cool if the Nonduality movement
      made it into the list of cults to watch out for. Anyway we
      can push for that?

      oops! forgot who wrote this reply:
      This and the missing posts are the best threads to come
      along since Ethyl removed hers (Haines) and chased the
      Streaker thru the green beans...

      Nonduality Salon Website
      http://www.nonduality.com
      Nonduality Salon Email Forum
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nondualitysalon
      Nonduality Salon List of Nondual People
      http://www.nonduality.com/morea.htm
      Encyclopedia of Nonduality
      http://www.nonduality.com/context.htm
      Nonduality Salon Chat
      http://www.eScribe.com/religion/nondualitysalon/chat
      New to Chat? Please consider the following suggestions:
      http://dragon.minopher.net.au/WebEd/protocol.htm