#1479 Tuesday, July 1, 2003

  • Christiana Duranczyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2003

      So you can have certain breakthrough Enlightenment experiences - satori, for example - but these are just the beginning of an endless process of riding the new waves of Form as they ceaselessly arise. So in this sense.. you are never "fully Enlightened," any more than you could say that you are "fully educated." It has no meaning.
      Ken Wilber -A Brief History of Everything.

      NDH - Issue # 1479 - Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - Editor - Christiana

      Stephen spiritual-friends@yahoogroups.com

      "One of my favorite shamanic stories comes from an
      anthropologist who was working with the shamans of the Amazon.
      There are many Christian missions in this area and the priests
      often take canoe trips upriver to preach to the jungle natives,
      hoping to convert them to the Christian faith. One day, one of
      these priests stopped off at the Shipibo tribe where this
      anthropologist was working.

      The priest began to preach and tell his remarkable stories of the
      power of Christ. The Shipibo listened excitedly. They were
      particularly taken with the story of Lazarus, who Jesus raised from
      the dead. Pleased with his performance and thinking he had
      made a few converts, the priest got back in his canoe and
      paddled on to the next tribe.

      He returned a few days later, on his trip down river, and was
      greeted by many jubilant Shipibo, who ran to him to hear more of
      his fabulous tales. After listening for a while, one of the shamans
      of the tribe stepped forward. 'I want to thank you for your help', he
      said. 'I have learned much from you. And that story you told a few
      days ago, about how Jesus healed Lazarus, well, I tried that
      technique and it worked. I would like to introduce you to my
      once-dead friend'.

      One of the tribe's people had died a few days earlier and the
      shaman, using the 'Lazarus technique' of the priest, had raised
      him from the dead. The anthropologist watched him do it. Of
      course, the missionary couldn't get in his canoe fast enough and
      back to the safety of his church where such miracles do not take
      place and the dead stay politely and accommodatingly dead."

      Ross Heaven, one of the speakers at the upcoming
      Oxford Prophet's Conference

      Gene Poole to NDS

      Reincarnation - a different interpretation

      So you want to 'tackle' reincarnation? As in, 'understand' it?

      Consider the wagon wheel, with many spokes connected to an
      outer rim and to a hub. This image represents one 'person'.

      Each 'lifetime' is one spoke, but all spokes are existing
      simultaneously. This, as opposed to the usual 'linear' model of
      consecutive lifetimes.

      We have in us, all lives; being lived at the same time, but with one
      'dominant'. The 'dominant' life is the point of view of a particular
      spoke; all other spokes are relegated to the inner life of that
      'dominant'.

      Now, each spoke is its own dominant, and to each spoke, each
      other spoke is perceived as 'inner voices' or 'sub-personalities'.

      So if we have 12 spokes, each of those spokes has 11 inner
      'personalities'.

      But... it is possible for the entire wheel, from the point of view of
      the hub (the invisible 13th member, AKA Christ and his 12
      disciples) to exercise whole Being sentience. In this case, no
      spoke is 'dominant'; instead, the entire 'team', led by the invisible
      spirit, the 13th or hub... forms a 'corporate' (combined) entity.

      All of the hubs run on the same 'axle' or shaft; the purpose or
      imperatives of each 'corporation' are thus in alignment with
      cosmic purpose.

      Now that you have envisioned this wheel, spoke and hub
      arrangement, continue to perform visual transform; now, eliminate
      the rim of the wheel, and plug the free ends of the spokes into the
      same hub from which they emerge. You should now have a 'donut'
      or torus shape, with a hole in the center for the shaft. This shape
      is accomplished by bending the straight spokes into an acute 'U'
      shape.

      This corporate entity is of great power, but it takes time and work
      for this mature form to take shape.

      Any spoke that demands to be dominant will delay the maturation;
      all spokes are equal at last, in the mature phase. The mature
      array of spokes, each spoke of that array, can carry huge currents
      of force, the full realization of Kundalini in the life of a person now
      surrendered to higher purpose.

      Such matured soul-configurations are seen by us as 'UFO'
      phenomena. The 'Torus' or donut shape then contains captive
      plasma, the raw stuff of reality itself. It glows and pulsates, in time
      with the will of the invisible guiding spirit of the 13th, or hub. The
      hub is always apparently empty; the disk driver is invisible.

      The captive plasma will be 'transformed' into whatever material is
      needed at a particular place and time, for the inscrutable
      imperatives of the master corporate entity, the Living Universe.

      Now, is that a cool picture of reincarnation, or what?

      - also from Gene

      Worth a close look: http://www.urlwire.com/

      the July update to the Buddhist bibliography is now online at :
      http://www.cyberdistributeur.com/buddbib.html

      while the Buddhist directory is at :
      http://www.cyberdistributeur.com/buddlinks.html

      Happy reading !

      Roger Garin-Michaud from Saint-Priest near Lyon, France

      from xan

      I find that somehow, by shifting the focus of attention, I become
      the very thing I look at, and experience the kind of consciousness
      it has; I become the inner witness of the thing.

      I call this capacity of entering other focal points of consciousness,
      love. You may give it any name you like.

      Love says, "I am everything". Wisdom says, "I am nothing".
      Between the two, my life flows.

      Since at any point of time and space I can be both the subject and
      the object of experience, I express it by saying that I am both and
      neither, and beyond both.

      - Nisargadatta Maharaj

      The always-worth-reading July TAT Forum is ready..

      Huston Smith  a snip from: A Taste of Satori

      (while in a Rinzai Zen monastery in Kyoto.. bored,
      annoyed, feeling ill, tired and exasperated)

      I made my way to where he was sitting
      in his priestly robes with his short, heavy
      stick (for clobbering if need be) lying on
      his lap. Sinking to my knees on the
      cushion before him, I touched my head
      to the floor and flexed my outstretched
      fingers upward, an Indian gesture that
      symbolizes lifting the dust from the
      Buddha's feet. Then I sat back on my
      heels and our eyes met in a mutual
      glare. For some moments he said
      nothing, then, "How's it going?" It
      sounded like a calculated taunt.
      "Terrible!" I shouted.

      "You think you are going to get sick,
      don't you?" More taunting sarcasm, so I
      let him have it.

      "Yes, I think I'm going to get sick!" I yelled. For several days my
      throat had been contracting to the point where I was having to
      labor to breathe.

      Then something extraordinary happened. His face suddenly
      relaxed, its taunting, goading expression gone, and with total
      matter-of-factness he said, "What is sickness? What is health?
      Both are distractions. Put both aside and go forward."

      What I despair of conveying to you is the impact those fifteen
      words had on me. Without reflecting for a moment, I found myself
      saying to myself "By God, he's right!" How he was able to spin
      me around, defuse my rage, and return me to lucidity in a
      twinkling, I will never comprehend. Never had I felt so instantly
      reborn and energized.

      from The Road Within: true stories of transformation Ed Sean O'Reilly

      art: Apel Mjausson from Livejournal

      Naomi Shihab Nye - Words Under the Words - Selected Poems

      ~ The Traveling Onion

      When I think how far the onion has traveled
      just to enter my stew today, I could kneel and praise
      all small forgotten miracles,
      crackly paper peeling on the drainboard,
      pearly layers in smooth agreement,
      the way knife enters onion
      and onion falls apart on the chopping block,
      a history revealed.

      And I would never scold the onion
      for causing tears,
      It is right that tears fall
      for something small and forgotten.
      How at meal, we sit to eat,
      commenting on texture of meat or herbal aroma
      but never on the he the translucence of onion,
      now limp, now divided,
      or its traditionally honorable career:
      For the sake of others,
      disappear.

      ~ You Have to Be Careful

      You have to be careful telling things.
      Some ears are tunnels.
      Your words will go in and get lost in the dark.
      Some ears are flat pans like the miners used
      looking for gold.
      What you say will be washed out with the stones.

      You look a long time till you find the right ears.
      Till then, there are birds and lamps to be spoken to,
      a patient cloth rubbing shine in circles,
      and the slow, gradually growing possibility
      that when you find such ears,
      they already know.